Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay then.

This

Is what Wikipedia says constitutes Final Crises. Does that seem all correct?

Of them I think the most important ones to read are Final Crisi 1-7, Submit, Resist and Superman Beyond.
I also think Legion of Three worlds as it explains some of the ending and why Superman wasn't around (he had two different multi verse ending threats going on during Final Crisis.)

The mini series with the Question (Requiem )was my personal favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oof, can't say I'm a fan of this. The complete lack of variation in line weight and the shadows all being multiply layers without colour variation doesn't make for appealing art. It looks like a frame of animation from one of Netflix's shoddy assembly line animated shows like Paradise P.D. rather than actual cover art. Does it have something to do with Rooster Teeth's Camp Camp show? I can't imagine what the connection would be otherwise.

I like the hair, though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

OscarDiggs posted:

What do I need before going into Grayson? I know people think he died which is why he could get recruited into the big spy organisation but that's not happened in the books I've read yet.

Also, I can't believe what happened in Endgame. I kept expecting the "It was all a dream Induced by fear toxin" get out card.

EDIT: Hahahaha oh god. How many gallons of steriods did they give Gordon?

Just have to know that the world thinks Grayson is dead and there is a secret spy organisation that he has infiltrated to see who is running it. Most of the secret spy stuff is established in Morrisons run.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

JordanKai posted:

Oof, can't say I'm a fan of this. The complete lack of variation in line weight and the shadows all being multiply layers without colour variation doesn't make for appealing art. It looks like a frame of animation from one of Netflix's shoddy assembly line animated shows like Paradise P.D. rather than actual cover art. Does it have something to do with Rooster Teeth's Camp Camp show? I can't imagine what the connection would be otherwise.

I like the hair, though.

Robin Eisenberg just has that kind of style, it's actually really popular outside of mainstream comics. I know it can look a little flat, but I think it dips into the graphic art side of things enough to pull it off. As far as connections go Roosterteeth has been putting out RWBY comics through DC, so this tie-in comic could be coming from that department?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Does Jim get to stay as a Batman going forward? Of course things are going to return to a status quo at some point but Batman Jim is actually really delightful.

Also, do we go straight from Epilogue into 2016 Batman? I still have to go through Bloom and Epilogue first mind, just trying to sort it out.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 9, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

Does Jim get to stay as a Batman going forward? Of course things are going to return to a status quo at some point but Batman Jim is actually really delightful.

Also, do we go straight from Epilogue into 2016 Batman? I still have to go through Bloom and Epilogue first mind, just trying to sort it out.

You'll see

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Of them I think the most important ones to read are Final Crisi 1-7, Submit, Resist and Superman Beyond.
I also think Legion of Three worlds as it explains some of the ending and why Superman wasn't around (he had two different multi verse ending threats going on during Final Crisis.)

The mini series with the Question (Requiem )was my personal favourite.

I know most don't count Legion of Three Worlds, but it's really fun and when all put together just goes to show how much poo poo was really hitting the fan all at once. Plus bringing back a beloved, at least by me, character was really great and IMO a massive middle finger to Infinite Crisis

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jiro posted:

I know most don't count Legion of Three Worlds, but it's really fun and when all put together just goes to show how much poo poo was really hitting the fan all at once. Plus bringing back a beloved, at least by me, character was really great and IMO a massive middle finger to Infinite Crisis
It's weird to interpret Legion of Three Worlds as a Massive Middle Finger to Infinite Crisis, but it's possible he wrote that arc as a giant gently caress you to himself two years earlier.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The final page in Death Metal #2 made me smile. It almost made up for the Batman Who Laughs bullshit. And when did Diana start dying her hair blue?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It's weird to interpret Legion of Three Worlds as a Massive Middle Finger to Infinite Crisis, but it's possible he wrote that arc as a giant gently caress you to himself two years earlier.

Was it Johns that wrote that mini??? The tone between those two things are pretty much polar opposite one another.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jiro posted:

Was it Johns that wrote that mini??? The tone between those two things are pretty much polar opposite one another.
They were both written by Geoff Johns, yeah. To be fair, there were obviously other editorial voices (not to mention some legal issues with the concept of "Superboy") in the development/publishing period of Infinite Crisis and Legion of Three Worlds that definitely affected how all of those stories played out. You may have been picking up on that? I don't know.

It's also a thing where Johns (and really the entire DC creative apparatus ~2003 to present) who seem obsessed with doing these stories whose basic mechanic is

1. Write a bunch of horrible dark atrocities and angst and mistrust and betrayal and dysfunction and death
2. Write a story to "course correct" and remind that HEROES are important and it's time to fix [superhero] and bring love and trust and family and camraderie back into the book, as it was intended.
3. "Oh no, Snapper Carr has come back as a self-harming serial rapist who has framed the Justice League for committing auto-erotic asphyxiation murders against their parents! How can the Justice League survive their trust being shattered and all of their moms and dads being double-murdered??? And who is the Metamorpho Who Laughs and Genocides???"
4. "Don't worry, this is all going somewhere, it's always darkest..."

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 10, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

They were both written by Geoff Johns, yeah. To be fair, there were obviously other editorial voices (not to mention some legal issues with the concept of "Superboy") in the development/publishing period of Infinite Crisis and Legion of Three Worlds that definitely affected how all of those stories played out. You may have been picking up on that? I don't know.

It's also a thing where Johns (and really the entire DC creative apparatus ~2003 to present) who seem obsessed with doing these stories whose basic mechanic is

1. Write a bunch of horrible dark atrocities and angst and mistrust and betrayal and dysfunction and death
2. Write a story to "course correct" and remind that HEROES are important and it's time to fix [superhero] and bring love and trust and family and camaraderie back into the book, as it was intended.
3. "Oh no, Snapper Carr has come back as a self-harming serial rapist who has framed the Justice League for committing auto-erotic asphyxiation murders against their parents! How can the Justice League survive their trust being shattered and all of their moms and dads being double-murdered??? And who is the Metamorpho Who Laughs and Genocides???"
4. "Don't worry, this is all going somewhere, it's always darkest..."

Going back and rereading the mini, SBP is just merking fools like he did all over his original return during Infinite Crisis.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, after years of just awful grimdark poo poo happening for a while starting at Identity Crisis and ending at Final Crisis. But still pivoting back towards old habits with poo poo like Flashpoint.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I don't like this art style at all but lol at the comments of this being full of people who are pissed their super generic big boobs, big rear end, small arms art was rejected by DC.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Of course, you can guess the writer that has brought back SBP in current comics

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm nearly finished with New 52 Batman, and afterwards I'm gonna see about starting on Morrisons run. How good are the other New 53 batman bookslike Detective Comics and Batgirl? Or would it be better so go into Rebirth Batman?

The best N52 Bat book is to read Azzarellos Wonder Woman and just mentally replace the word Zeus with Batman. Or read Lemires Green Arrow run!

I really liked Batman and Robin, and Batgirl was great once the Burnside arc started... But most of the N52 books as a whole are just not worth reading. I think the Rebirth launch was such a huge step up in quality across the line so just go straight to that for nearly any book.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Brian Azzarello is the Nick Spencer of Wonder Woman stories.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BrianWilly posted:

Brian Azzarello is the Nick Spencer of Wonder Woman stories.

Which Nick Spencer are we talking about here? Captain America/Secret Empire Spencer or Superior Foes/Amazing Spider-Man Spencer?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay then.

This

Is what Wikipedia says constitutes Final Crises. Does that seem all correct?

Calling anything after Superman Beyond on that list a Final Crisis tiein is pretty dubious, iirc. I think a few of those mentioned FC's events or had the Dark Side Club in them?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which Nick Spencer are we talking about here? Captain America/Secret Empire Spencer or Superior Foes/Amazing Spider-Man Spencer?
Both.

He's clearly an experienced writer which can make for some entertaining, engaging interactions (Superior Foes Spencer), and yet his handling of key aspects of the mythos would be considered comically-inept if it weren't so offensively vile (Secret Empire Spencer).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grem posted:

I don't like this art style at all but lol at the comments of this being full of people who are pissed their super generic big boobs, big rear end, small arms art was rejected by DC.
One of my fave comments in that mess (other than the woman artist that was like "oh rad I can get CG people to help make a book?") was the guy that was angry at the absurd notion that a woman would gain weight but keep her "A-cup boobs".

Like, yes, that's how bodies work.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you want some good non Batman Nu-52 books check out Demon Knights, I, Vampire, Green Arrow (the Lemire run), Green Lantern Corp, Animal Man, Swamp Thing

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

One of my fave comments in that mess (other than the woman artist that was like "oh rad I can get CG people to help make a book?") was the guy that was angry at the absurd notion that a woman would gain weight but keep her "A-cup boobs".

Like, yes, that's how bodies work.

Sometimes I think that comic gaters are playing up the "have never, EVER seen a real life woman" type stuff, but then there are comments like this and I gota wonder if they are that good at trolling or if the cigar is just a cigar.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Madkal posted:

If you want some good non Batman Nu-52 books check out Demon Knights, I, Vampire, Green Arrow (the Lemire run), Green Lantern Corp, Animal Man, Swamp Thing

Seconding Demon Knights and Swamp Thing. Although if you start to feel like you're not enjoying Swamp Thing by the time you get to the Rotworld story then you should drop it, because it's downhill from that point onward.

Also, All-Star Western is great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
ASW turns bad for a when they send Hex to the present but it gets good again and then has a pretty great end imo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JordanKai posted:

Seconding Demon Knights and Swamp Thing. Although if you start to feel like you're not enjoying Swamp Thing by the time you get to the Rotworld story then you should drop it, because it's downhill from that point onward.

Also, All-Star Western is great.

Rotworld was....too long, but Soule's post Rotworld Swamp Thing is great and well worth picking up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Madkal posted:

Rotworld was....too long, but Soule's post Rotworld Swamp Thing is great and well worth picking up.

Oh word? I didn't even know the series continued after Snyder left. :downs:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JordanKai posted:

Oh word? I didn't even know the series continued after Snyder left. :downs:

I think Soule's run in 3 volumes long and worth looking into.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
So anti-life Plastic Man from last week's DCeased was certainly horrifying.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

So anti-life Plastic Man from last week's DCeased was certainly horrifying.

Yeah it ruled.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

well goddamn. good riddance to Harras, at least, but the others?

https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/status/1292954315770994697

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WarnerMedia is going through a huge restructuring/reorganization/regime change right now and it sucks that (most of those) people are gone, who knows what this portends for DC in general.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

well goddamn. good riddance to Harras, at least, but the others?

https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/status/1292954315770994697

:eyepop: Good lord! I hope DC comes out the other end good and healthy. Maybe they or Warner as a whole will still have to get bought out by someone after all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AT&T took on a LOT of debt in order to buy Warner, so they're looking to cut anything that isn't generating a double-digit return right now.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The pandemic hasn't done comics any favours, likely hit at the very worse time for things going on at DC right now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

rumor is that Pam Lifford is much more bullish on digital-first and OGNs than on floppies, so... could be very interesting times ahead

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I hope dc universe survives, if only as a marvel unlimited clone. They upload the new comics each week at midnight est Tuesday (so 9pm Monday here) and it's something I look forward to every week.

This is the only way I really like to read comics and if it went away I wouldn't be converted to a bleeding edge release day buyer.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Barry Convex posted:

rumor is that Pam Lifford is much more bullish on digital-first and OGNs than on floppies, so... could be very interesting times ahead

Kinda funny as Disney basically axed a lot of future 4K releases including Marvel movies and others that people wanted like True Lies. They appear to be going into digital mind set as well so it might be both big companies do the same thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1292985614141403137

side note: tbh, it's kinda funny that that early New 52 promo art from 2011 - which featured costume designs and a Justice League lineup that never actually made it into the book - is still being used to accompany random DC Comics stories nine years later

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RIP DC comics publishing physical monthly comics. I don't think this is quite here yet, but definitely a slide further that direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

more from The Beat

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-layoffs-reportedly-a-bloodbath/

quote:

Among those we’ve heard are gone: Editor in Chief Bob Harras, SVP Publishing Strategy and Support Services Hank Kanalz, VP Bobbie Chase, and editors Brian Cunningham, Mark Doyle and Andy Khouri. The latter two were key to the Black Label initiative that seemed to be making money, so a bit of a shock.

In addition, VP of Marketing & Creative Services Jonah Weiland has been laid off, I’m told.

The end of DC Collectibles, if true, is also huge and telling. While I’m not going to run any more names until I have more concrete information, from everything I’m hearing this is a huge and significant downsizing of DC’s publishing operations that will have huge ripple effects across the entire COVID-scarred comics industry landscape. It’s impossible to see this as anything but a huge sign of disinterest in the comics publishing business by AT&T, WarnerMedia and the Global Brands division. While other WB divisions also faced severe layoffs, losing such a huge swath of the executive leadership at DC is a lot more than just more layoffs.

man, this is gonna make DC Fandome awkward, huh