Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
How are the grocery stores doing in people's areas? I went grocery shopping today in suburban Minneapolis and it seemed like a lot of items, especially canned goods and boxed foods like pasta, were still low in stock or only a few varieties were available, etc. Things seemed to be getting better/closer to "normal" in June and July, but it seems to have stalled out and maybe even regressed a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Samurai Sanders posted:

For kids who now have to go back to school and face the death trap, I wonder how many of them will just skip, or even do something to get themselves suspended? I probably would. But then again, I have parents who would understand why I did it.

polling of college kids just released is about 4 in 10 saying they aren't planning on going back to college this year lol colleges are hosed

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

fabergay egg posted:

somebody once told me my lungs are full of roni
i’m feelin little light in the head
she was lookin kinda dumb with her fingers and her thumb
on a temperature gun on my forehead

well
the gasps start coming and they don’t stop coming
fed with a tube and the vent’lator chuggin
didn’t make sense not to live for fun
it’s just the flu and the masks look dumb
so much to catch so much roni
so what’s wrong with taking indoor seats?
if you don’t test then you won’t know
so where are all the deaths bro?

hey now, you’re an all star
get your game on, go play
hey now, you’re a rock star
get the show on, get paid
all that glitters is gold
they’re just coughing because of the mold

it’s the cool zone, and they say it gets colder
you think it’s bad now, wait till bernie bux’r over
but the meatier men beg to differ
judging by the hole in the cdc’s picture
the ICE we hate, it’s getting pretty grim
i’m feeling pretty warm and it’s coming from within
my temp’s on fire, how ‘bout yours?
thats the way i like it now i’ll never get old

they’re just coughing because of the mold

somebody once asked
could we open up real fast?
“i need to get myself away from this place”
i said “yep, what a concept
my kids need school myself
and we could all use a little change”

well
the gasps start coming and they don’t stop coming
fed with a tube and the vent’lator chuggin
didn’t make sense not to live for fun
it’s just the flu and the masks look dumb
so much to catch so much roni
so what’s wrong with taking indoor seats?
if you don’t test then you won’t know (no!)
so where are all the deaths bro?

i’m just coughing because of the mold

hey now
hey now
hey, hey, hey now
hey now, his o2’s low
hey now, his o2’s low
hey now, his o2’s low

the beeping’s gone and i’m feeling cold

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
it's not bad in the seattle area stores. TP and paper products have been back in stock for a couple months now. food in general is in decent supply and although not particularly cheap, stuff like beef and chicken haven't gone up in price dramatically. canned goods are thin but not cleaned out. costco is humming along and everything like eggs and milk are back in stock and easy to get.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr.Radar posted:

How are the grocery stores doing in people's areas? I went grocery shopping today in suburban Minneapolis and it seemed like a lot of items, especially canned goods and boxed foods like pasta, were still low in stock or only a few varieties were available, etc. Things seemed to be getting better/closer to "normal" in June and July, but it seems to have stalled out and maybe even regressed a bit.

yeah poo poo's been a little spotty. i went to costco a week or 2 ago and they were out of TP again. seemed to have some meat but im not buying meat so i didn't look. some other random things were low. grocery stores like whole foods have mostly been a weird barren disaster but thats because its a whole lot of instantcart poo poo and really plucked clean most of the time and consistently so since like march. a few others like Sprouts were also plucked to the bone and didn't have a single item i needed in stock last time i was there but sprouts also loving sucks.

trader joes still seems fine, occasionally some things are down to low like sometimes empty on canned stuff or pasta or butter or some frozen stuff, but usually not entirely empty, just very low on certain things

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
trumb

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Philthy posted:

What changed? I've a friend who has been living in Japan for 19 years and she was posting videos of people being beaten for simply coughing while wearing a mask out in public.

People have completely lost trust in the political leadership. It's led to a lot of people just kind of giving up, or deciding the virus isn't that dangerous, or (a very small minority so far) jumping on conspiracy theories.

That said, the train riders in Tokyo are still nearly 100% masked up. But I've noticed a lot more unmasked people in general on the street.

It's very mentally exhausting.

Japan seems to be medically handling cases very well, but medical resources are not infinite and nothing short of supernatural intervention will slow the cases at this point. The politicians seem to think we're gonna somehow slide into having a working vaccine before things start falling apart, but Tokyo is already running out of hospital beds.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Xaris posted:

fixed that for you. a 100% BEEF ALL AMERICAN HANDMADE vaccine is going to be of dubious in all catagories of efficacy, long-lasting, and safe but very likely not all 3. but it doesn't matter, it's the perception of wiping our hands and going all fixed glads thats over the Before Times can return! back to work open er UP maga!!

I mean yes, but I'm saying there will be a spike just as the very first members of the general population get a vaccine.

like, before anyone you know has actually received the vaccine, there will be a hosed up national NYE-like celebration where Trump and Carson Daly count down and when the coronavirus hits the bottom of the syringe everyone starts making out with whomever is closest

keegan
Jul 13, 2004
John Dillinger died for you!

spacemang_spliff posted:

now there's someone who can handle even a mild inconvenience lol

For chuds it's not about the inconvenience, it's that masks are a very visible reminder that things are Not Normal and America is not Great Again but is actually Tremendously hosed. That's why they flip out about other people wearing masks, contrary to all their bullshit about individual freedom. The guy in the video thinks COVID is a hoax designed to hurt Trump and it makes him angry that other people are playing along with the supposed hoax. I'm sure there are also people who just don't like wearing a mask and don't give a poo poo about others but I'm guessing they're not the ones throwing tantrums like this.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

sale on Banksy art posted:

People have completely lost trust in the political leadership. It's led to a lot of people just kind of giving up, or deciding the virus isn't that dangerous, or (a very small minority so far) jumping on conspiracy theories.

[...]

Well as stated in my earlier post a page back, I think it's largely due to the government sort of continuing to insist we need to conduct business as usual, while maintaining the stance that people have to be careful. While absolutely refusing to enforce the latter in any meaningful way.

Basically they wanna open-er-up but also don't want any responsibility whatsoever when things will absolutely go pear-shaped. "We told you to stay in as much as possible!"

As you said this basically leads to people just picking whatever narrative best suits what they wanna do.
This is garnered as usual for Japan, with a hefty helping of idiot nationalism.

lol

VomitOnLino has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Aug 11, 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
that first year or two, where we have a vaccine but not everyone has it, is going to be real hosed up and a lot of people will still die

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Olympics 2022.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
An unusually high number of people are dying in the sticks and outlying islands. This says to me that access to state of the art medical care is probably key, and we are running out of that.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VomitOnLino posted:

Well as stated in my earlier post a page back, I think it's largely due to the government sort of continuing to insist we need to conduct business as usual, while maintaining the stance that people have to be careful. While absolutely refusing to enforce the latter in any meaningful way.

Basically they wanna open-er-up but also don't want any responsibility whatsoever when things will absolutely go pear-shaped. "We told you to stay in as much as possible!"

As you said this basically leads to people just picking whatever narrative best suits what they wanna do.
This is garnered as usual for Japan, with a hefty helping of idiot nationalism.

lol
how can he even loving stand to wear the mask like that it looks so uncomfortable

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

mod sassinator posted:

whole lotta middle managers stuck working from home have been realizing their job is basically to take emails and updates from one worker and contextualize them into a new email or update for their manager. those jobs are gonna be the first white collar jobs to go when the axe falls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcIMIyQnOso

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

fosborb posted:

that first year or two, where we have a vaccine but not everyone has it, is going to be real hosed up and a lot of people will still die

yep there will definitely be a class system of those who have the vaccine and all the doors to employment, entertainment, etc. magically open

and all those without who are left to rot until they can afford the vaccine, or die. they'll be shamed and forced to wear visible masks and marks so everyone around knows they're "one of those people" that can still get sick and should be shunned and avoided

we'll also see some awesome forgeries and grifting with fake vaccine cards and flare-ups and outbreaks caused by people that are lying and get sick or spread the disease further

all of this stuff happened in 1918!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stunt_enby posted:

how can he even loving stand to wear the mask like that it looks so uncomfortable
I assume that's the right-wing nationalist way to wear a mask because that's how Taro Aso is wearing it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Stunt_enby posted:

The government wasted millions of dollars on two free masks per household that were hilariously small and had mould in them.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1293036498040827904?s=20

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

An unusually high number of people are dying in the sticks and outlying islands. This says to me that access to state of the art medical care is probably key, and we are running out of that.

that was the whole point of flattening the curve

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we have to flatten the curve

and then change literally nothing and immediately unflatten it

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sumo was lit tho

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

keegan posted:

For chuds it's not about the inconvenience, it's that masks are a very visible reminder that things are Not Normal and America is not Great Again but is actually Tremendously hosed. That's why they flip out about other people wearing masks, contrary to all their bullshit about individual freedom. The guy in the video thinks COVID is a hoax designed to hurt Trump and it makes him angry that other people are playing along with the supposed hoax. I'm sure there are also people who just don't like wearing a mask and don't give a poo poo about others but I'm guessing they're not the ones throwing tantrums like this.

Tangentially, I would also like to point out that this entire state of mind and frame of cultural reference is not only a phenomenon in the United States, but is being exported abroad and adopted in other countries by everyone who can read English, because American voices dominate social media, so here in the Netherlands we also have chuds, who spend all day on twitter arguing about how masks interfere with "their freedoms and constitutional rights" even though the rights allotted to people in the constitution of this monarchy are based on a different legal system and are totally different to those in America. And they aren't even always adopted to the local culture, sometimes they are just copied completely. Every talking point about masks and Q-anon is parroted by conservatives outside of America too, and American conservatives help shape the thoughts of people everywhere. Phrases like "Open 'er up" and "All Lives Matter" are translated and repeated in many different countries around the world now. Here's a picture of a provincial Dutch farmer flying a confederate flag in The Hague during a protest action there some months ago:

:911:

twoday has issued a correction as of 05:21 on Aug 11, 2020

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

???????????

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

what a photo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

twoday posted:

Tangentially, I would also like to point out that this entire state of mind and frame of cultural reference is not only a phenomenon in the United States, but is being exported abroad and adopted in other countries by everyone who can read English, because American voices dominate social media, so here in the Netherlands we also have chuds, who spend all day on twitter arguing about how masks interfere with "their freedoms and constitutional rights" even though the rights allotted to people in the constitution of this monarchy are based on a different legal system and are totally different to those in America. And they aren't even always adopted to the local culture, sometimes they are just copied completely. Every talking point about masks and Q-anon is parroted by conservatives outside of America too, and American conservatives help shape the thoughts of people everywhere. Phrases like "Open 'er up" and "All Lives Matter" are translated and repeated in many different countries around the world now. Here's a picture of a provincial Dutch farmer flying a confederate flag in The Hague during a protest action there some months ago:

what in tarnation

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

snoo posted:

sumo was lit tho

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

twoday posted:

amazing

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

snoo posted:

???????????

America is a cancer

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

America is the virus, and roni is the cure...

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

well, probably easier to fly a confederate flag in europe than a nazi flag, but same poo poo different smell? :shrug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mod sassinator posted:

yep there will definitely be a class system of those who have the vaccine and all the doors to employment, entertainment, etc. magically open

and all those without who are left to rot until they can afford the vaccine, or die. they'll be shamed and forced to wear visible masks and marks so everyone around knows they're "one of those people" that can still get sick and should be shunned and avoided

we'll also see some awesome forgeries and grifting with fake vaccine cards and flare-ups and outbreaks caused by people that are lying and get sick or spread the disease further

all of this stuff happened in 1918!

increasingly nervous man staring at two buttons: only rich will have vaccine living up elysium utopia; only poor people will be used in tuskegee exp 2.0 and given the vaccine writ-large so rich people don't have to risk complications from 100% all american pure beef vax with majority shares owned by j-kush

twoday
May 4, 2005

fits my needs posted:

well, probably easier to fly a confederate flag in europe than a nazi flag, but same poo poo different smell? :shrug:

winning the brand-recognition war against the swastika is quite an achievement, one must admit

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Don't count out the crazy.

The leap from Fox News/Rush to Ben Shapiro/Candice Owens to InfoWars to QAnon happens faster than you think

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there would be pushback against the nazi flag. the Confederate flag has bigly been normalized since the 60s. google even autocorrected confederate to be capitalized. gently caress you google.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Smash Mouth headlined Sturgis and imagining a bunch of boomer bikers moshing to All Star has me loling p hard

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MorrisBae posted:

Don't count out the crazy.

The leap from Fox News/Rush to Ben Shapiro/Candice Owens to InfoWars to QAnon happens faster than you think

stebe vannon has been in europe pushing poo poo for the last several years and it's only to be getting worse under climate change with worsening resources, mass refugees as large parts of india and middle east and others become uninhabitable drought wastelands, and austerity driving people to fascism. like a meager 1-2 million syrian/afghan refugees fractured the EU in half with UK loving off and rising fascist parties, and that's just chump change. i'd bet money that it won't exist as an institution as we know it by 2030

not that anyone should mourne it, its a garbage neolib institution meant to siphon money to the rich and gently caress everyone else so faster it dies, the better.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Reality Protester posted:

there would be pushback against the nazi flag. the Confederate flag has bigly been normalized since the 60s. google even autocorrected confederate to be capitalized. gently caress you google.

it's been normalized in America since the 60's. The fact that it's being normalized on a different continent is kind of problematic imo

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

papersack posted:

Smash Mouth headlined Sturgis

these four words put together are very funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keegan
Jul 13, 2004
John Dillinger died for you!

Flunky posted:

these four words put together are very funny to me