Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I had an idea about the surprise new ally character hinted at in the commentary of utterly dwarfed.

But one panel is loving it up.

Redcloak's niece who got smuggled away from xykon was on one (1) page front and back

Except you can see her through a window one panel later.

But it makes so much sense given the nature of the conflict.

I had a similar thought rereading Start of Darkness, but you’re right, the page count doesn’t match. I wouldn’t be surprised if she shows up, though.

I’m still of the opinion that Haley’s mom is the one-page ally - we still need to resolve the other way Haley is an opposite of Sabine, along with the cryptogrammed “It turns out I may not be exactly what you would call-“ secret. With that, I like the theory that Haley is actually half-celestial and her “Mommy went to heaven” line is a little more literal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

ikanreed posted:

Trying to mix cultural relativism with absolute cosmic good and evil is a fools errand.

Tongue in cheek, of course: when you Godwin it together and realize that would mean that Hitler, from a Nazi point of view, was really good at being a Nazi, so therefore he should end up in a lawful good afterlife?

Maybe just scrap alignment all together.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Certainly it had it's place in justifying mass murder in a game designed around the mechanics of mass murder.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rich makes as good a case for it as can reasonably be made. Think about the order, who all have well drawn personalities. How closely related to their alignments are those personalities? I'd say very close.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Capfalcon posted:

For sure. You can have Discworld or Lord of the Rings. They're both great! But if the Balrog would have been good if he was raised by a nice, Eru-fearing set of parents, it sort of loses some of the impact of Gandalf identifying himself as a servant of Eru and proclaiming that the Balrog's dark flame will have no purchase here due to the divine mandate that Gandalf bears.

Tolkien is a weird one because while LotR pretty much codified always evil races in fantasy fiction, his earlier The Hobbit handled moral relativism just fine with the mountain goblins being basically just dwarves of another tribe.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Alignment is roleplaying training wheels to help people find their niche. It falls apart under deep scrutiny but in most games where it is employed deep scrutiny was never going to happen in the first place.

It was used for that at one point, but (iirc) it's original use goes back to those random tables that were brought up earlier. It was meant to determine how likely a random encounter was to be hostile to the party.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If by “at one point” you mean “the majority of the game’s life and also right now in the real world as opposed to navel gazing hypotheticals” yeah lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Schwarzwald posted:

Tolkien is a weird one because while LotR pretty much codified always evil races in fantasy fiction, his earlier The Hobbit handled moral relativism just fine with the mountain goblins being basically just dwarves of another tribe.

It was used for that at one point, but (iirc) it's original use goes back to those random tables that were brought up earlier. It was meant to determine how likely a random encounter was to be hostile to the party.

that was a reaction roll, I don't remember it being alignment related, let me check...

http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2010/08/reaction-tables.html

looks like the earliest versions of D&D had it as a consideration, but not in an organised way just as an excuse to add some unspecified modifiers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also alignment didn't really mean the same thing in older editions of D&D, where Law-Chaos is more of the 'forces of civilization vs forces of entropy/destruction' thing that was popular in a lot of fantasy fiction of the say. You still see those influences in stuff like Warhammer.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

fool of sound posted:

Also alignment didn't really mean the same thing in older editions of D&D, where Law-Chaos is more of the 'forces of civilization vs forces of entropy/destruction' thing that was popular in a lot of fantasy fiction of the say. You still see those influences in stuff like Warhammer.

But also gygax's own writing makes it clear he was suuuuuper racist about it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Oh for sure. You also see THOSE influences in things like Warhammer.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My recollection about D&D alignment was that it got its start as something from the 1971 Chainmail pre-D&D miniatures rules, and that was simply to give some thematic quality and diversity to the army lists. The original alignment system was just law-neutrality-chaos taken straight from Moorcock, and it was (as fool of sound said) more of an order vs. entropy thing. It would be many, many years before Gygax added a second axis (good-neutral-evil) to alignment, with all that that entailed.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Anyway, the only good alignment system ever created was from FREEBASE, the LARP version of the HOL rpg.

quote:

ALIGNMENT

Luckily, in the real world, definitions about what is good and what is evil are simple to discern; Abandonment of Individuality for the Greater Glory of the Higher Being: good, Premarital Coitus: evil. Alas, in TWOR, things are not so clear cut, To assist with this, an Alignment system has been provided. "Alignment" is a quick and simply way to annote the general demeanor and intent of a Persona and to give the Player a guide to deciding the appropriate action in a given situation.

These aspects are combined to make up the Alignment in this manner: LG, LN, LE, NG, N, NE, CG, CN, CE. Choose your alignment from the list below. Though the labels are relatively self-explanatory, a short description has been included with each.

LG [Liberal Granola]:
Knows that mass social protest is the only way to defeat THE MAN.

LN [Liberal Noncommittal]:
Buys bumper-stickers against THE MAN on occasion, and would like to rise up against his oppressors and end this cruel reign of tyranny, but prefers Dead shows.

LE [Liberal Establishment]:
Sells bumper-sticks against THE MAN and T-shirts for Dead shows; pretending to be part of the movement for social change, yet profiteering off his fellow brothers and sisters, finally becoming part of the System that has forced our children to go to die in 'Nam.

NG [Noncommittal Granola]:
Bought a couple of shirts, thinking this helps, but only practices Iron Butterfly riffs in the garage while the gears of government run by fascist weapon industries crush his remaining freedom.

TN [True Noncommittal]:
Is happy to live in whatever Orwellian hell is presented to him, unknowingly disposing of his own, and hence others, right of choice.

NE [Noncommittal Establishment]:
Buys into the propaganda machine of his mom's Rosie the Riveter days, and does not question the Draft, though it will mean his end.

CG [Conservative Granola]:
Blindly puts faith in other's power to change the world he is increasingly shackled by.

CN [Conservative Noncommittal]:
Voted for Tricky Dick because he liked his speaking voice.

CE [Conservative Establishment]:
THE MAN.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

If by “at one point” you mean “the majority of the game’s life and also right now in the real world as opposed to navel gazing hypotheticals” yeah lol

Well, no, the alignment has been vestigial for years, and before that its main use was to determine who Paladins could kill without risking their toys. WotC would have dropped it already if they weren't terrified of Paizo, and if the recent hubbub is anything to go by, they still might.

sebmojo posted:

that was a reaction roll, I don't remember it being alignment related, let me check...

http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2010/08/reaction-tables.html

looks like the earliest versions of D&D had it as a consideration, but not in an organised way just as an excuse to add some unspecified modifiers.

That sounds about right. It might have been a bigger factor in Chainmail, but back then there was only the Law/Chaos axis.

edit: beaten on the Chainmail thing

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 11, 2020

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

ikanreed posted:

What's this?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think it's possible to do some interesting things with a setting where there's intrinsic Good and Evil metaphysical forces at play, that aren't necessarily the same things that we mortals think of as good and evil. It can be fun in a bizarro world sense to have characters like the necromancer that's willingly tainting his soul with metaphysical Evil raising zombies in order to achieve good ends. Or the rear end in a top hat paladin that holds strictly to the letter of Good specifically in order to keep his powers, while caring nothing for the morality behind his actions.

But I don't think most people using alignment care about exploring the weirdness inherent to such a setting, which is where alignment loses all value. In my opinion, anyway.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It feels like the alignment system has been vestigial to DnD since 3e, where it was mainly used to pad out the spell lists. It was its main purpose mechanically, anyway.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just think of them as sports teams. Team Good vs. Team Evil. Affiliating yourself with one team or the other says nothing about ethics.

That reminds me of MUDs. A common way to determine player alignment was what things you killed. If you kill mostly Evil things then you are Good. If you kill mostly Good things you're Evil. If you want to be Neutral you might have to go slaughter an orphanage from time to time to "maintain the balance" if you've been killing too many monsters.

In that system basically all the heroes are murderous sociopaths.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Colonel Cool posted:

I think it's possible to do some interesting things with a setting where there's intrinsic Good and Evil metaphysical forces at play, that aren't necessarily the same things that we mortals think of as good and evil. It can be fun in a bizarro world sense to have characters like the necromancer that's willingly tainting his soul with metaphysical Evil raising zombies in order to achieve good ends. Or the rear end in a top hat paladin that holds strictly to the letter of Good specifically in order to keep his powers, while caring nothing for the morality behind his actions.

But I don't think most people using alignment care about exploring the weirdness inherent to such a setting, which is where alignment loses all value. In my opinion, anyway.

In Touhou there's this thing called the Ministry of Right and Wrong which governs the afterlives, but they aren't like an intrinsic part of it, they just sort of took over the planes that souls drift to when they die and decided to sort them out manually. And their morals are kinda weird like "it is Good for humans to die, for if humans do not die then their souls can never be judged. Therefore it is Evil for humans to extend their lifespans" or "it is Good for monsters cause mayhem, for that is their Purpose and to go against their Purpose is Evil." Mostly it gets played as this bizarre bureaucracy where Heaven is refusing to accept new applicants because it would lower their property values and Hell had to vacate and move elsewhere because they went bankrupt.

Like, no one in the series actually believes in that morality, but those are the people who decide where your soul goes, so...

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 11, 2020

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nilbop posted:

What's this?
Recent discussion on FATAL & Friends made sourcing all this easy. If you want to dig more (HUGE content warning) check the end of Otsplll's post here and Libertad!'s side commentary to it.

So...Gygax unapologetically stated that it was Good to genocide your enemies, even and especially the civilians among them. Because "nits make lice". This was a quote from John Chivington, perpetrator of the Sand Creek massacre, who managed to be so horrible in 1864 that the US Army (no stranger to Native American genocide themselves) officially condemned him. And just in case you didn't know the context about that quote, Gygax made sure to cite it on glowing terms. He was doing all this to say that it was fine to kill orc babies in 2005.

The more you read about Gygax the more you understand that he was a deeply loathsome man and that D&D's success was very much in spite of him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FMguru posted:

The original alignment system was just law-neutrality-chaos taken straight from Moorcock

Straight from Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions actually, which is why it's called Law instead of Order as in Moorcock.

Nilbop posted:

What's this?

Gygax is our racist grandpa. You know, the guy who handmade cool toys he gave you so you love him, but then when he opens his mouth at dinner it's non-stop embarrassing racist rambling.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 11, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cat Mattress posted:

Straight from Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions actually, which is why it's called Law instead of Order as in Moorcock.

moorcock used law and chaos

quote:

Gygax is our racist grandpa. You know, the guy who handmade cool toys he gave you so you love him, but then when he opens his mouth at dinner it's non-stop embarrassing racist rambling.

Gygax is and has always been terrible, we were just too young and too fuckin nerdy to notice

I will stan for tomb of horrors as his masterpiece though, that thing is tight as a drum

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh you mean the guy I cut out my life because he's a tremendous piece of poo poo? Yeah gently caress that guy

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Daikloktos posted:

First of all, I want to say we have an excellent Tolkien Thread in The Book Barn which, like Lothlorien itself, feels like the last vestige of a more ancient time of effort and expertise on these forums. They'd be able to explain better than I the evolution of Tolkien's precise feelings on this matter alongside the development of his legendarium but it is, famously, among the last indecisive revisions to The Silmarillion material that he struggled with these exact questions and whether even Melkor himself might find redemption before the end of time.

I think you're wrong in a way that Rich himself has written against - that the morality of a work of fiction is divorced from a sort of, didactic reflection of reality. I wish I had the quote handy, like maybe if some obsessives maintained a sort of "Index of The Giants Comments" including a byzantine inclusion-vote process to maintain readability without overarchiving... but at least in my view the morality of all fiction is ultimately supposed to be a tool for the reader to reflect on the morality of their lived experience.

The contrast between "cultural relativism" and "absolute polar Good and Evil" is irreducible in either reality or fiction. As you identify, certain works magnify different questions, present things along different lines. You're not supposed to be thinking about the Balrog's parents in that moment, whereas if... Steven Universe found an ancient demon beneath the earth you can bet you should be wondering what trauma led it to burrow to such depths. But in no work can you, or should you, entirely set these fundamental questions aside in a holistic examination.

I definitely agree with your overall point of "You shouldn't take a work's world and values at face value," and I think your example is a good one.

(Also, although I don't post in it, I greatly enjoy reading the Tolkien thread.)

The post(s) that kicked this off aren't talking about "works" they're talking about games. Alignment is a tool for a game first and foremost. You're not really comparing apples to apples.

Alignment is roleplaying training wheels to help people find their niche. It falls apart under deep scrutiny but in most games where it is employed deep scrutiny was never going to happen in the first place.

I think this is a bit mistaken, though, since D&D is a written work (that tells you how to play a game) and gives you a baseline set of assumptions for that world you're playing in. If you have orc be evil monsters you can kill without regret while also having orcs be a possible player character, it's not exactly strict scrutiny to ask "Wait, why are they bad and you good?"

Also, I sort of question the value of training wheels that don't give you anything interesting to do with them, other than examine them and learn how flawed they actually are.

Clarste posted:

In Touhou there's this thing called the Ministry of Right and Wrong which governs the afterlives, but they aren't like an intrinsic part of it, they just sort of took over the planes that souls drift to when they die and decided to sort them out manually. And their morals are kinda weird like "it is Good for humans to die, for if humans do not die then their souls can never be judged. Therefore it is Evil for humans to extend their lifespans" or "it is Good for monsters cause mayhem, for that is their Purpose and to go against their Purpose is Evil." Mostly it gets played as this bizarre bureaucracy where Heaven is refusing to accept new applicants because it would lower their property values and Hell had to vacate and move elsewhere because they went bankrupt.

Like, no one in the series actually believes in that morality, but those are the people who decide where your soul goes, so...

I unironically think that if they replaced alignment with essentially a team affiliation like this, it'd not only be much simpler, but much more interesting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MildShow posted:

I’m still of the opinion that Haley’s mom is the one-page ally - we still need to resolve the other way Haley is an opposite of Sabine, along with the cryptogrammed “It turns out I may not be exactly what you would call-“ secret. With that, I like the theory that Haley is actually half-celestial and her “Mommy went to heaven” line is a little more literal.

The problem with that theory is that Haley's mom's one appearance is her dying (772. That could be a misdirection, but if so it's a pretty good one.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/1293174291509514240

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Redcloak gets owned twice in a round

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh hey Redcloak wasn't imploding himself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sometimes things play out in an entirely straightforward way.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Man, Belkar is really being a great team player if he's taught Durkon of all people how to dunk on someone that hard.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Some poetic license here for the rules. Implode can't target the same creature two rounds in one casting. He either made his save or didn't.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Who What Now posted:

Unbelievable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wow, Minrah can cast fifth level cleric spells. Her spell choices at Firmament made me think she had significantly fewer cleric levels than fighter or whatever.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Wow, Minrah can cast fifth level cleric spells. Her spell choices at Firmament made me think she had significantly fewer cleric levels than fighter or whatever.

Is it possible she got absurd amounts of xp thanks to the high stakes of that last adventure?

Not that it matters to the story, but it's a fun thing to think through.

This strip rules. Good to see Redcloak getting wrecked emotionally.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wittgen posted:

This strip rules. Good to see Redcloak getting wrecked emotionally.

Yeah. Durkon's line might stick in Redcloak's craw for a while.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
She's Fighter 5+/Cleric 9+, which actually gives her more hit dice than Durkon apparently has.

Also, Redcloak's homebrew Implosion apparently causes damage even on a successful save.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Enlarge person is first level. I thought thor's might was a reskinned enlarge person.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

Or at an off panel threat
Or an on panel invisible threat

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

Enlarge person is first level. I thought thor's might was a reskinned enlarge person.

Nah, it's Righteous Might. It's got the bit about not changing your speed.

e: Oh, Enlarge Person also has that bit. I still think it's Righteous Might though.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 11, 2020

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

I had an idea about the surprise new ally character hinted at in the commentary of utterly dwarfed.

But one panel is loving it up.

Redcloak's niece who got smuggled away from xykon was on one (1) page front and back

Except you can see her through a window one panel later.

But it makes so much sense given the nature of the conflict.

I think it's entirely possible that Rich missed the other appearance. Same for Aarindarius, V's master. Normally Rich is pretty careful about these things, but a hint in the commentary at the end of the book is not likely to be something he checked carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

:drat: , Durkon