Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I move my phone to a different room, otherwise I am too tempted to just scroll through the forums during a dull part of whatever I’m watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The making GBS threads log system is based on mutual trust

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Turning off the lights and having a snack or drink works pretty well for me in keeping me in the movie watching mood.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DorianGravy posted:

I've been missing the movie theater experience, and I've also fallen into a habit of half-watching things at home while I do other things, which isn't the best movie viewing experience. Anyone have tips for making a better movies-at-home experience? Simple stuff, like watching things in a dark room, finding a comfortable spot, making popcorn, etc.?

Basically, what little things do you do that make watching movies at home more enjoyable?

watch movies with subs in a language you don't know

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://youtu.be/0q8I3mhrK00
Golden bat is a treat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Glottis posted:

Umbrella Academy season 2 was actually pretty great. Probably better than the first. I'm kind of enamored with Doom Patrol and enjoy that more as far as zany superpower shows go, but Umbrella Academy is significantly more stylish.

Yeah, I enjoyed it, which really surprised me. The first season seemed pointlessly cruel and S2 advertising itself with Red Scare imagery made me pretty dubious, but it turns out the Russian invasion is the direct result of the U.S. striking first on the basis of paranoid bullshit, and an indirect result of the protagonists loving about with time travel and the emotional arc of the season is a lot more satisfying than the "everyone is a poo poo to each other, forever" of S1.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I’ve been binging on Shaun the sheep for the past three days.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! (on Netflix) is pretty wonderful. Wesley is the best. Now that I'm thinking about it, I've really only seen him as Blade, but Noxeema is just as great. I had a good laugh at Rachel Tensions early on.

What other movies are in the "drag queens teach small town residents to be fabulous" sub-genre? The only other one I can think of is Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, which I haven't actually seen yet. I think there's also an HBO show about some former Drag Race contestants making various stops around small town America.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
2016's Hurricane Bianca.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Guys, Norsemen is possibly the greatest TV show I have ever seen. It's like seeing the great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather of Minnesota Nice.

Just a bunch of Vikings having discussions with incredibly passive-aggressive conflict avoidance, punctuated by episodes of brutality.

The beauty of having everyone act so understated is that it leaves the villain to chew scenery that much better, and he chews it like original Star Trek Shatner good.

Season 3 is a prequel and you get to see his hilarious backstory and possibly the best (and most trivial) reason to turn evil ever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

I've been missing the movie theater experience, and I've also fallen into a habit of half-watching things at home while I do other things, which isn't the best movie viewing experience. Anyone have tips for making a better movies-at-home experience? Simple stuff, like watching things in a dark room, finding a comfortable spot, making popcorn, etc.?

Basically, what little things do you do that make watching movies at home more enjoyable?

It's novel, but VR headsets. I don't do it much but it's very fun when I do. You can mimic an IMAX sized screen and it cuts you off from everything else. Plus 3D movies look really cool in them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! (on Netflix) is pretty wonderful. Wesley is the best. Now that I'm thinking about it, I've really only seen him as Blade, but Noxeema is just as great. I had a good laugh at Rachel Tensions early on.

What other movies are in the "drag queens teach small town residents to be fabulous" sub-genre? The only other one I can think of is Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, which I haven't actually seen yet. I think there's also an HBO show about some former Drag Race contestants making various stops around small town America.
I was definitely not in an excellent mood already when my housemates voted on Wong Foo, but I was kinda grossed out at how strongly it conveys the Magical and Noble Queerness of drag queens as portrayed by straight men. I do think their performances were genuine well-intentioned efforts, but the whole thing gave me very strong 90s Disney vibes of "the queers are nice, and society can benefit from their magical weird vibes as long as they don't get confused and actually think they're normal people at the end of the movie."

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For shits and giggles I checked out Host on Shudder, and ended up slightly surprised. Nothing that new (instead of Skype this takes place on Zoom), but it is a tight 56 minute movie (at that length more like a TV episode) that I enjoyed. If you want a fast horror short this might scratch that itch.

Edit: this was inspired by a prank the director did back in April on Zoom. From that he turned it into this movie. Everyone in the movie did everything remotely (actors from their own homes, even the direction was given over Zoom), and I am surprised that it worked so well. Again nothing you haven’t seen before. This just feels different, cause of the last few months.

Also watch on a computer if you can.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 9, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

My steps are:
get room-darkening curtains
bring in a floor lamp with soft light
hang some movie posters
hook up surround sound
toy around with the TV settings endlessly and forget to actually watch anything

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Don't forget to get some random people to talk loudly and check their phones while you're watching the movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m actually going to try the tip of putting my phone somewhere else because I’ve become everything I hate

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Whenever you wanna get poo poo done put your phone in Airplane Mode + chuck it in a drawer. We're so conditioned that we literally suffer when we don't have the drat thing with us. It's gross.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
:siren: Jodorowsky's Dune is on IMDB-TV (with ads but whatever) :siren:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

wizardofloneliness posted:

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! (on Netflix) is pretty wonderful. Wesley is the best. Now that I'm thinking about it, I've really only seen him as Blade, but Noxeema is just as great.

If you haven't already seen it, Dolemite Is My Name also has a wonderful Wesley Snipes performance (Eddie Murphy and everyone else in it is great too.)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Martman posted:

I was definitely not in an excellent mood already when my housemates voted on Wong Foo, but I was kinda grossed out at how strongly it conveys the Magical and Noble Queerness of drag queens as portrayed by straight men. I do think their performances were genuine well-intentioned efforts, but the whole thing gave me very strong 90s Disney vibes of "the queers are nice, and society can benefit from their magical weird vibes as long as they don't get confused and actually think they're normal people at the end of the movie."

are there even movies about crossdressers or drag performers that dont treat them as caricatures or hopelessly mentally ill?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

married but discreet posted:

Like a documentary about the failed project or..?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ammanas posted:

are there even movies about crossdressers or drag performers that dont treat them as caricatures or hopelessly mentally ill?

Tangerine, and it's an amazing film. No longer on Netflix, though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Green Crayons posted:

Tangerine, and it's an amazing film. No longer on Netflix, though.

Well, Tangerine is a movie about a transwoman, to call her a crossdresser or drag performer would be inaccurate, and probably offensive.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Have any Disney+ subscribers out there checked out Muppets Now? I like what they've done with the Swedish Chef, and the Bunsen Honeydew sketch from episode 2 had me hungry for more.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Cockmaster posted:

Have any Disney+ subscribers out there checked out Muppets Now? I like what they've done with the Swedish Chef, and the Bunsen Honeydew sketch from episode 2 had me hungry for more.

It’s a lot better than I expected. Swedish Chef is my favorite muppet and this week’s episode was great with him. I’m fully on board for Swedish chef being an rear end in a top hat.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

veni veni veni posted:

It's novel, but VR headsets. I don't do it much but it's very fun when I do. You can mimic an IMAX sized screen and it cuts you off from everything else. Plus 3D movies look really cool in them.

Bigscreen! I watch weird movies with my friends in there once in awhile, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4DmvDPKsN4&t=30s

Also I found a youtube video on making movie theater popcorn (I love that oversalted fake butter crap) so I make that.

And all the stress from 2020 gives me the diarrhea I would ordinarily get with a coke from the soda fountain.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 10, 2020

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

married but discreet posted:

This movie is loaded with wild stories. My favorite might be what Jodo's son goes through but there are a ton of memorable moments.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My favourite story is when they drag Jodorowsky into David Lynch's Dune.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I started watching the Harley Quinn show on HBO Max, and lmao, the show is amazing. Only two episodes in, but I love it. Ivy being like Daria is doing wonders for me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll keep going with it for at least a few more and may change my opinion, but I ended up not really feeling Harley Quinn after 2 episodes. It was fun, and a nice distraction for a chunk of my evening, but the writing wasn't great and it was way overhyped. It felt like a mediocre riff on Venture Bros. that lacked any of the nuance. It took a while for VB to grow into itself, too, so I can't be all that hard on it, but it felt like a somewhat hollow imitation on first impression.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm 3 seasons into bosch and I haven't skipped the intro once.

I had seen season 1 but I completely forgot about it so I got to watch it twice. Solid season, but 2 was way better. Hoping 3 keeps up the pace, looks promising so far.

It's pretty wild that Lance Reddick is literally playing the same character he played in The Wire, but he plays it so drat well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Christ this Star Trek cartoon series sucks.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

feedmyleg posted:

I'll keep going with it for at least a few more and may change my opinion, but I ended up not really feeling Harley Quinn after 2 episodes. It was fun, and a nice distraction for a chunk of my evening, but the writing wasn't great and it was way overhyped. It felt like a mediocre riff on Venture Bros. that lacked any of the nuance. It took a while for VB to grow into itself, too, so I can't be all that hard on it, but it felt like a somewhat hollow imitation on first impression.

I would stick around at least until episode 6. I would even argue that if you stop before then, skip to 6 and see what you think. It's one of the best examples of the type of comedy in HC and if you like it, i would stick to watching the show.

The first episode definitely feels different than the rest of the show - I think they were going for a more action show when they crafted the pilot and then realized their strength was comedy and characters so it switched back to that.

Its easily in my top 3 all time favorite shows, so I'm biased but it's getting hype for a good reason IMO.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Tax Collector was easily the worst movie I've seen in the last decade

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Been telling ya, Harley Quinns great for ages, get on it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I signed up for the 7 day trial. I feel like DC owes me money because many times while high in 1996 I would say "Batman the Animated Series, but they say gently caress"

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Don’t give any money to DC universe - it’s pretty much DOA. I think everything is on HBO Max by this point, right?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Season 4 of bosch somehow manages to raise the stakes even further. Currently it's juggling about 4 or 5 different plots that are serious and compelling enough to be worth an entire season on their own and it's actually managing to balance them pretty well. This show just keeps getting better.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Anyone here watch Midway? Its on HBO Max, was thinking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Anyone here watch Midway? Its on HBO Max, was thinking about it

The entire movie looks like the cutscene of a ww2 game