Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I kind of disliked the Recipe Club episode I listened to, the Chicken Parm one, because I thought they did a bad job explaining the recipes they were comparing and I don't think the concept works as an audio only podcast.

And yes, Chang is an insufferable nozzle

I think it's a flawed concept to begin with and in the BLT episode he actively screwed up his cohost's recipe by cooking the bacon in a microwave, then gets all salty about the 'Cardinal rules' of a fuckin BLT. I get that he has a schtick but 'old man yells at cloud' is not what I'm looking for in a food podcast.

His tv shows seem to be better but I'm starting to think he benefits from a very generous editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like Dave. He just reminds me of a lot of friends that will dunk on you and expect and want you to give him some ribbing right back. Also, he's kind of a dumbass, but I enjoy his dumbassery, both podcast and tv form.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
he seems like a smug prick imo

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Chang is only appealing to people that are masochistic enough to work in a kitchen long after their knees give out. He is extremely "YES CHEF. HEARD."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw him make gnocchi out of instant ramen and it looked pretty great. He even used the seasoning packet for the msg flavor. And I appreciate that he's been trying to debunk the msg horror stuff and that's it's mostly racism and/or ignorance that make people hate it. But otherwise David Chang does sound insufferable. He's like if Anthony Bourdain was angry 24/7 and also had no humor.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mu Zeta posted:

He's like if Anthony Bourdain was angry 24/7 and also had no humor.

So nothing like Bourdain?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw him make gnocchi out of instant ramen and it looked pretty great. He even used the seasoning packet for the msg flavor. And I appreciate that he's been trying to debunk the msg horror stuff and that's it's mostly racism and/or ignorance that make people hate it. But otherwise David Chang does sound insufferable. He's like if Anthony Bourdain was angry 24/7 and also had no humor.

I do respect the MSG thing and honestly, I like Momofuku as a restaurant. It's not really him anymore and is a larger brand that means a lot of things that have little to do with Chang himself (like Milk Bar) but he did build that.

I think that's why I kinda expect more from him than yelling about nothing? Maybe I'm just spoiled from listening to Huang, who can go off on politics and food and culture and sound intelligent doing it, in the way Bourdain could, but as you say with Chang it's all humourless and he comes off like he hates everything besides the stuff he personally makes.

edit: this is just in the podcast though. On Ugly Delicious and his other TV projects they seem to edit that part of him way down.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stringent posted:

So nothing like Bourdain?

He has a similar straight talk and slightly abrasive personality. The two liked each other a lot. Chang's travel shows feel a lot like Bourdain's in 2002 back when he was an rear end in a top hat.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Babish posted on Instagram introducing a "kitchen producer" person who will give them the "bandwidth to create new shows with new people." One of the people who liked it (with hand waving emoji) was Sohla.

So, you know, start your speculation engines.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Trabant posted:

Babish posted on Instagram introducing a "kitchen producer" person who will give them the "bandwidth to create new shows with new people." One of the people who liked it (with hand waving emoji) was Sohla.

So, you know, start your speculation engines.

Welcome to the dawning of a new Babish empire. With a strangely heavy stress on the to.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
If saucepin becomes a saying I will build a guillotine with my bare hands out of tempered chocolate.

Why do I hate him so much?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

If saucepin becomes a saying I will build a guillotine with my bare hands out of tempered chocolate.

Why do I hate him so much?

I don’t know, but if he gives Sohla a check to do whatever she wants (more stuff like modern carbonara experiments would be excellent) I will put up with overused tiny whisks and ingredients getting to know each other.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ideally I'd prefer if the BA folks defected and made their own channel but ultimately I want them to be adequately compensated and if that means getting down with Babish I'll accept it and happily watch.

Actually I'd prefer a three-way ladder match between Kenji, Babish, and Chris Kimball for the former BA contracts but we can't have everything.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hopefully it works out better then when Vinny went to Babish lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The worst thing about Chang from watching Ugly Delicious is that he’s very dismissive of things he feels are beneath him. The really lovely way he treated that pizza delivery guy for example, which I honestly can’t believe they kept in. That’s the sort of thing that tells you everything you need to know about someone.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Grem posted:

Hopefully it works out better then when Vinny went to Babish lol

As someone who hasn't followed Babish, what happened?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Nothing dramatic, Vinny left his gig being Brad's camera guy to work on Babish's "Being with Babish", I think he filmed like one episode then the project just... Stopped.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Grem posted:

Nothing dramatic, Vinny left his gig being Brad's camera guy to work on Babish's "Being with Babish", I think he filmed like one episode then the project just... Stopped.

I’ve heard him mentioned as the producer In General though?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm pretty sure BWB isn't just Andrew with a single camera and a microphone anymore, and hasn't been for a while. It's basically a small scale TV show.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Veskit posted:

I’ve heard him mentioned as the producer In General though?

He's back to being freelance, he was only producing in 2019.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I can't imagine Being With Babish is all the way dead, it's just probably resting right now for obvious reasons. There was way more than one of them...they could be a wee bit corny though couldn't they?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Guys I miss Gaby. I hope she's doing ok.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Gaby is the best person on Earth. I want her to politely but maniacally yell at me for not recycling.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I guess not being in video excludes Instagram stories cause Sohla is on a basically video 🤷

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wikipedia says Being had six episodes starting in March. I don't know where it was actually, I guess, aired. Good premise and good idea but probably not the most entertaining thing for reality TV.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it was just another thing on his channel i'm p sure

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

it was just another thing on his channel i'm p sure

I remember him giving the first episode for free, specifically. Maybe it was a patreon or something?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I remember him giving the first episode for free, specifically. Maybe it was a patreon or something?

He has patreon videos, maybe there were some extras but Being is a regular series like Binging and Basics. Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLopY4n17t8RDMBhCeH2NxwRcZiJ4xzYNc

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The_Doctor posted:

The worst thing about Chang from watching Ugly Delicious is that he’s very dismissive of things he feels are beneath him. The really lovely way he treated that pizza delivery guy for example, which I honestly can’t believe they kept in. That’s the sort of thing that tells you everything you need to know about someone.

oh yeah, the dominos guy. that was horseshit. I don't listen to the chang podcast, but there are moments on ugly delicious i thought he seemed very dickish. that was one

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

It's funny you saying this really opened up my perspective. It's been a minute but when I watched it I really read it as more social anxiety and Chang not knowing how to interact with folks, but yeah in retrospect I think you're on to something with the contempt or dismissive side of things.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://old.reddit.com/r/bon_appetit/comments/i7ex6n/delaney_on_instagram/

Delaney posted his apology last night - it's good for what it is.

But to me, the second half highlights how loving broken conde nast is - their idealized guy a white cis het person who started from the bottom, gave tons of free labour to, only ended with a 75k salary in loving new york city... Yikes. If that's the ceiling for a guy with the system behind him, I don't want to know where the ceiling was for any non-white males.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He apologizes for his social media posts from his school days -- What about his tweets about how he was surrounded by hot women at Conde Nast? How gross would it be for a woman to work around someone posting public comments like that?

That said, 76k lol. I can't take this industry seriously. Why haven't companies like Conde Nast decanted their operations to some other city? Is New York City really the only place to film a home kitchen series?

It does mean that Sohla's apparent new salary of $80k (assistant editor, editorial only) is higher than Delaney's (associate editor, editorial+video). That seems to me like some equality.

She probably still isn't getting as much as Andy, Chris and Molly, and likely far less than Claire and Brad. But I'm not sure who's a fair benchmark for Sohla here.

edit: fixed the numbers

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 11, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

So this showed up in my inbox today, and I was super confused:

I looked into his profile, and lo and behold Delaney was in the same design program at my college, a year behind me. Very good chance I knew the guy to some extent and completely forgot. What a world.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 11, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Slotducks posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/bon_appetit/comments/i7ex6n/delaney_on_instagram/

Delaney posted his apology last night - it's good for what it is.

But to me, the second half highlights how loving broken conde nast is - their idealized guy a white cis het person who started from the bottom, gave tons of free labour to, only ended with a 75k salary in loving new york city... Yikes. If that's the ceiling for a guy with the system behind him, I don't want to know where the ceiling was for any non-white males.

Looks like none of the TK people I follow on Instagram have liked or commented on the apology. Not the best look, though I could be reading into things a bit.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
It's easy to hate on Delaney. I mean, who hasn't done or said stupid poo poo as a teen to young adult? At least he apologized for his past behavior, which coulda been worst honestly, and stayed silent to let the other members of the kitchen have their say. Mentioned everything everyone was saying on the internet about him forcing himself into the video shoots just by not working and walking to the TK all the time.

Meh, i don't think he needs to be "canceled" but i appreciate the transparency with telling of his success compared to the BIPOC members and how it he managed to get a contract while the other members got nothing

Not that any of this is an excuse mind you. In other news Rick's new casa looks lovely!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Delaney's smug city bro persona really grates on me. Maybe he's a decent dude and doesn't deserve cancelling, but that's how I feel.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah kinda the same. I liked him for a few videos but he quickly started to irritate me. He has this swagger that feels completely unearned. I hope he's actually a better person than he seems and is good to his colleagues at least.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I just can't muster any strong feelings about him at all. If he's there he's there, but always seemed like a delivery system for the better BA folks. I don't think I've ever made it through a whole video of just him.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I think Sohla actually made a post on Instagram praising Delaney's scheme to raise money for the BLM protestors about a week before he got canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Carla's gone from BA video as well.