Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

It's really silly tbh. I know the goal is to bring in new players and not to give free content to existing players, but there'll be a lot of people who hit level 40 before dropping the game who would probably reinstall it to play the Heavensward stuff, since that's where everyone says the game starts getting really good.

i think people whjo have experienced the supposedly good content just lost perspective on how not-good the rest of the game is. It's got to be one hell of a game story, perhaps the best story ever written in history, to make slogging through 40+ levels and 100 hours or whatever before you even start to get the the good content (which I've been warned, until renovation, involves a 100+ long quest line of really tedious, trivial quests everyone hates. The renovation will remove a negligible amount of steps from this process, so... almost yay I guess lol.

I know one day I might muster the will to power through lovely-mmo design, but I have to wonder if it could ever be worth it, could any story? I'm not even sure what to expect at this point. Is it a "good" story because they put a lot of attention and detail into their fake peoples/cultures/politics, or is there some emotionally relevant real world core issue being deconstructed in the frame of their game? Who knows, even the people who say it's good haven't ever said why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the "100 quest slog" has been overblown by folks who were playing through the yearlong period where those quests came out as a dripfeed. If you're jumping into them now, you can burn through them, like if you played any other game where you got a marker to go to location A, that's basically what counts as one of those quests, your typical Assassin's creed quest is made up of 6 or 7 of those things

Do you like Final Fantasy storytelling? This is some of the top-tier in that mold, but if you don't like that, it's probably not going to sway you.

Do you like MMO hotbar style combat? This is the apex of that style, but if you don't like that, it's probably not going to sway you.

It's a good story because it does both those things, and the detail they put into the world is what allows them to explore themes in a compelling way. If you need "real world core issues" it deals with cycles of violence and revenge on national scales, the challenges faced by revolutionaries against imperialism and colonialism, and the allures and dangers of nostalgic romanticism for imagined lost utopian pasts.

I hope this helps!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's by far the most well told MMO story out there, the story just isn't very interesting until level 35, and between level 35 and 50 is incredibly repetitive and drawn out.

The post game 100 quest grind really isn't that bad, it's when the story really starts to pick up.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Finally getting around to Ghost Trick. This game is awesome and I love all the little touches with the animation. I wish I could work a chicken with that degree of concentration.

Also, Missle for best doggo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The idea of XIV veterans supposedly having lost perspective of how bad the base game content is due to being used to better content is a pretty strange one, because if anything it's the exact opposite where the veterans' perspective of the base game got considerably worse over time because what they've played has been better for so long now.

The more time passed the further it went from "there are sections in ARR that really drag" to "actually ARR is a literal nightmare you just have to force your way through to get to the good stuff" like they were deadly afraid that newbies would be disappointed after trying the game due to the praise it got, and so their expectations had to be aggressively tempered.

Basically as far as the (old?) main quest was concerned, many people liked many parts of it, but its lows were unquestionably low so almost nobody liked all parts of it. That game would've died years ago to a lack of new blood had it been as bad some stories made it out to be, but it definitely did need to get pruned and hopefully people can more freely recommend trying the game without the looming shadow of the 2.X main quest being quite as ever-present.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zushio posted:

Finally getting around to Ghost Trick. This game is awesome and I love all the little touches with the animation. I wish I could work a chicken with that degree of concentration.

Ghost Trick is something special.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wish Skies of Arcadia had actually sold well enough to get 1. a digital release and 2. a massively popular MMO :sigh:

Am playing through it now and it's v good, I'd say my favourite JRPG next to Chrono Trigger so far

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Convex posted:

I wish Skies of Arcadia had actually sold well enough to get 1. a digital release and 2. a massively popular MMO :sigh:

games like that highlight just how uninteresting most game settings are. i mean they're virtual worlds, you can set them virtually anywhere!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I started FFXIV about a year ago, and while some of the quests are pretty boring, it wasn't that bad, and I enjoyed my time playing it. The only obstacle I had is normal MMO obstacles where I can't balance playing an MMO with other hobbies and other games. Because of the subscription nature, I feel obligated to play only the MMO.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah I see a fairly constant stream of "I was warned this was going to be hell, and it's actually kinda decent" from newbie ffxiv players and this is the first ever time I've seen "I was warned it would be only okay, but it was actually horrendous"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just played through FF14 at the start of this year, and it's all good. It just gets better in the expansions. Never played an MMO before and really didn't think they were my thing, but the story is good, and the gameplay is a lot of fun once you get the feel for it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Convex posted:

Am playing through it now and it's v good, I'd say my favourite JRPG next to Chrono Trigger so far

I have trouble articulating exactly why SoA is one of my favorite games. I think it's a great example of how a "standard" game can be outstanding

There's nothing particularly innovative about its mechanics or story, but every storytelling/narrative beat is just nailed obscenely well. I just wish the battle system wasn't quite as busted - once you figure out how to abuse items magic takes a bit of a backseat.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Halo delayed until next year

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I understand why that game individually would delay (although they've had lots of time and I don't know if they can fix anything), but what the hell are they even putting out for a console launch.
The Dontnod visual novel?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

it was inevitable with that title.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's sobering to go back and see those old documentaries they'd put in the limited editions of Halo 2 and 3. I don't think they'd allow anything that showed just how much a studio can crunch to be included with a game now a days.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Lmao they must have literally decided that in the two weeks since the reveal/backlash. It's the Sonic movie all over again. Rip.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

stev posted:

Lmao they must have literally decided that in the two weeks since the reveal/backlash. It's the Sonic movie all over again. Rip.

RIP 343, getting worked to the bone because the internet made fun of the gorilla man

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

The Sonic movie turned out pretty good at least! This likely will not though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I have trouble articulating exactly why SoA is one of my favorite games. I think it's a great example of how a "standard" game can be outstanding

There's nothing particularly innovative about its mechanics or story, but every storytelling/narrative beat is just nailed obscenely well. I just wish the battle system wasn't quite as busted - once you figure out how to abuse items magic takes a bit of a backseat.

Yeah the music, characters, setting and everything are really congruent and ultimately is v good. I even like the blocky N64 looking character emotes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltdgc4qi1z0

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Khanstant posted:

i think people whjo have experienced the supposedly good content just lost perspective on how not-good the rest of the game is. It's got to be one hell of a game story, perhaps the best story ever written in history, to make slogging through 40+ levels and 100 hours or whatever before you even start to get the the good content (which I've been warned, until renovation, involves a 100+ long quest line of really tedious, trivial quests everyone hates. The renovation will remove a negligible amount of steps from this process, so... almost yay I guess lol.

I know one day I might muster the will to power through lovely-mmo design, but I have to wonder if it could ever be worth it, could any story? I'm not even sure what to expect at this point. Is it a "good" story because they put a lot of attention and detail into their fake peoples/cultures/politics, or is there some emotionally relevant real world core issue being deconstructed in the frame of their game? Who knows, even the people who say it's good haven't ever said why

I enjoyed my time with the game pre expansion. Then I played the first expansion and I was like holy poo poo this is so much better than everything before it.

By the time I finished the last expansion It was easily top 3 FF games. But it’s a LOT to ask someone to play that much, I only finished it because of lockdowns and being stuck at home.

Zushio posted:

Oh man I can’t wait to see your reaction when you get further in the game. Missile is the best

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Zushio posted:

Ghost Trick is the best video game.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

I said come in! posted:

The Sonic movie turned out pretty good at least! This likely will not though.

The whole studio that did the animation for the Sonic Movie got shut down after they finished it though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RandomMagus posted:

The whole studio that did the animation for the Sonic Movie got shut down after they finished it though

I heard about that. :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

hatty posted:

RIP 343, getting worked to the bone because the internet made fun of the gorilla man

Imagining a world where all the underwhelming 360 launch games were delayed after people made fun of how Perfect Dark Zero looked at that E3.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RandomMagus posted:

Doesn’t that happen with way more movies than you’d expect, for whatever given reason? Pretty sure each Matrix movie ended in a dead production company.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Last night I got hosed up on Mountain Dew GamerFuel and bought 6 cell phone plans so I can access Black Widow's Exact Same As Default Skin Except With Gold Wristbands skin.

This post except it's FF7 and paying other people to buy candy bars for me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Remember when launch day dlc was considered controversial?

lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Remember when launch day dlc was considered controversial?

lol

"The content is already on the disc" seems like such a quaint argument... :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I still remember horse armour :corsair:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember when dlc was called “expansion pack”

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Ghost Trick is the best video game.

Guess I should finally play it, even though I got a really tiny screen on my phone

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are there any good mirror's edge-likes or should i just go replay the first one on PS3 for the millionth time

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dying light?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The most poorly kept secret of the year, revealed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hswz4rIrU

...looks like Ironside bailed again. Hope his cancer didn't come back. :ohdear:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AceOfFlames posted:

Ubisoft's high ups knowingly and deliberately covered up widespread employee abuse for decades? Including physical and sexual abuse?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I remember when dlc was called “expansion pack”

if modern dlc was just expacks it would own

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
When can I pre-order PS5? Take my $$$ pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hswz4rIrU

...looks like Ironside bailed again. Hope his cancer didn't come back. :ohdear:

I seem to remember that one of the things he liked about the Sam Fisher role was that it wasn't a typical shooter "kill everyone in sight" protagonist... I assume he might not be a fan of Siege