Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

ThinkTank posted:

None of the already qualified for the playoff teams gave the slightest poo poo from what I saw of their games. That was just a series of tune up games where they focused on not getting hurt.

Well then the Blues gave the least shits because they got shelled by all three teams, including the Stars! I guess we'll see if the myth of "team can turn it on when it matters" (seeding matters!) is true, but I saw a team that couldn't complete easy passes, turned it over constantly in their own zone (to other teams that didn't give a poo poo??), and had a PP that did absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Acceptable winners, in order:
1. VGK
2. CBJ
3. TBL

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The 13th overall pick in a very good draft seems like a very high price to get rid of 1 year of Patrick Marleau

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My picks for the first round

Flyers in 5

Tampa in 5

Islanders in 6

Hurricanes in 7

Knights in 4

Aves in 5

Stars in 7

Blues in 6

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Dirty Burger posted:

The 13th overall pick in a very good draft seems like a very high price to get rid of 1 year of Patrick Marleau

Sign stupid contract, get stupid results.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Go Bolts. My heart tells me they'll win game 1 to give me that sense of relief before losing the next 4 because the universe is cruel.

But gently caress it, let's do this thing. These are the chaos playoffs anyways.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If the Hawks or Habs win a single game neither of their opponents should be allowed to move on to round 2 on principle alone. :colbert:

Also kinda hoping for a Tampa revenge sweep and Boston to continue falling out of the tree onto that trampoline.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

The NHL playoffs 1st round thread seems like the ideal place to chat about this.

So let's expand, are you of the opinion they should have just sucked up the contract and cut salary elsewhere, tried to find a better deal...? What's your take on the matter?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The NHL playoffs 1st round thread seems like the ideal place to chat about this.

So let's expand, are you of the opinion they should have just sucked up the contract and cut salary elsewhere, tried to find a better deal...? What's your take on the matter?

Obviously they should have traded Marner.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Less Marleau himself and more the incredibly terrible contract - Carolina paid about $12m for that pick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you like system breakdowns, Jack Han has done a really cool review of the Flyers' 2-1-2 forecheck

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Speaking of Marleau he will once again not win the cup. Given that he and Thornton are free agents this summer, it's quite likely they will retire as 1/2 in career games played without winning a championship.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Flyers in 5
Lightning in 6
Caps in 6
Canes in 7

Vegas in 5
Avs in 6
Flames in 7
Canucks in 7

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Putting money on the Canes tonight. Think the B's are primed to be this year's TBL.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers in 5 - Montreal's better than they appear and Carey Price can still very much be Carey Price, but their special teams are brutal and the Flyers are a buzzsaw right now. This is the deepest I've seen the Flyers in probably 20 years.

Bolts in 6 - Jackets are going to give them fits the entire way but I can't see history repeating itself. Bolts will blow them out in 1 game but the others are all going to be tight, and Tampa's in trouble for the long run if they don't have Hedman.

Canes in 7 - By all rights this series should absolutely rule and honestly it's a coin toss. I'd give the Canes the edge just because they look really hot right now and Boston seemed listless out of the gate, but much as I love former Toledo Walleye Petr Mrazek, he's going to let some howlers in and Boston will take advantage.

Isles in 6 - Losing Carlson hurts Washington, Holtby seems shaky, and the Isles are built for suffocating playoff hockey. Caps forward depth is great but I have a tough time seeing them overpower the Isles defensive setup right now.

Knights in 4 - Chicago has no business being in the playoffs and Vegas looks absolutely stacked.

Avs in 6 - Kuemper is going to stand on his head for a couple games but the Avs are just terrifying on offense right now and the Yotes have zero offensive depth. Goddamn is Cale Makar fun to watch.

Uh... gently caress... well...[flips coin] Dallas in 7 - Get ready for a bunch of 1-0 games that all go multiple overtimes as both teams absolutely refuse to go on offense. Tkachuk will cheapshot at least 2 different Stars and these will be the only interesting happenings in the entire series.

Blues in 6 - I really like Vancouver's top line but St. Louis has a fabulous blue line and I get the feeling the Blues are gonna get back into form and just grind them to death.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Stars don't have a forward as good as Tkachuk, let alone Gaudreau. Everyone keeps telling me the defensive system should hold but I don't believe it for a second. And Esa Lindell has been the absolute worst version of himself so far and especially not beside Klingberg, which he won't be the second one thing goes wrong, because Rick Bowness took chemistry before the discovery of the atom.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't forget how God awful Miro looked during the RR!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ThinkTank posted:

Speaking of Marleau he will once again not win the cup. Given that he and Thornton are free agents this summer, it's quite likely they will retire as 1/2 in career games played without winning a championship.

It still feels kind of strange that Thornton wasn't dealt at the deadline. I imagine the Marleau performance feels like a strong justification for why no one pulled that trigger. It probably doesn't help that Thornton still has a playoff no-show reputation (deserved or not), but I'd be kind of surprised if no one risks signing him this summer fall to play limited ES minutes but run their second powerplay or something like that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jumbo is 41 and managed 31 points last year. At best you're looking at a guy who can manage 35pts playing 4th line minutes and 2nd unit PP. I think most teams would prefer to give that to a young guy these days. Signing him for even $1m is really just a personal favour to try and win him a cup and is that really the best way to manage a hockey team?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ThinkTank posted:

Jumbo is 41 and managed 31 points last year. At best you're looking at a guy who can manage 35pts playing 4th line minutes and 2nd unit PP. I think most teams would prefer to give that to a young guy these days. Signing him for even $1m is really just a personal favour to try and win him a cup and is that really the best way to manage a hockey team?

To be clear, it's a terrible idea. I just am not discounting that a team will do it.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1293206723793223684

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

Has that ever stopped any NHL gm ever in the past?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Could Jumbo not retire, stay in shape, and sign with a team mid-season? Essentially wait for a solid team to need an injury replacement or PP depth, and he wouldn't cost them any trade assets?

More or less what Justin Williams did, but he'd welcome multiple suitors.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kalensc posted:

Could Jumbo not retire, stay in shape, and sign with a team mid-season? Essentially wait for a solid team to need an injury replacement or PP depth, and he wouldn't cost them any trade assets?

In theory, sure, but with the cap staying flat I really doubt it. There's much more push now across the board to develop teams from within than build via free agency and that's usually when you're paying the highest price to get someone.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Folks,

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/1293212057811156992?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DOOMocrat posted:

The Stars don't have a forward as good as Tkachuk, let alone Gaudreau. Everyone keeps telling me the defensive system should hold but I don't believe it for a second. And Esa Lindell has been the absolute worst version of himself so far and especially not beside Klingberg, which he won't be the second one thing goes wrong, because Rick Bowness took chemistry before the discovery of the atom.

Ya but have u considered they werent even tryin b4

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I want Jumbo, Jagr, Kovalchuk, and Marleau to all take one year deals with Seattle or something. The AARP line.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
flames in 3

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Y'all got any of them SAS NHL bracket challenges?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Predictions:
VGK over CHI in 6
COL over ARI in 5
DAL over CGY in 7
STL over VAN in 6

PHI over MTL in 6
TBL over CBJ in 7*
WSH over NTI in 6
BOS over CAR in 5

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Golden Knights in 5
Coyotes in 6
Canucks in 6
Flames in 4

Flyers in 4
Lightning in 7
Capitals in 6
Hurricanes in 6

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1293247566797328384?s=20

:smithicide:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1293253778049826824

!!!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kalensc posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Mats Sundin do this, too?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

sweet

for some reason I've decided that this year Tampa is actually gonna Do It

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1293259298794086401
https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1293261342430957569

Kilza fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 11, 2020

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So yeah that round Robin really was just about guys not getting hurt

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Mats Sundin do this, too?

Man Columbus already won do you have to keep on kicking Leafs fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

DJExile posted:

In theory, sure, but with the cap staying flat I really doubt it. There's much more push now across the board to develop teams from within than build via free agency and that's usually when you're paying the highest price to get someone.

Oh I agree with the shift to development from within the organization, and so UFA offers will be slim to none.

My thinking is that select "ring chasers" may be better off waiting to see if a young team surprises or a veteran teams has an injury, and then try to be picked up around the mid-point of the next full season.

It would also let them step back and re-assess the next setup the NHL uses during the covid era.