Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

quote:

"I work hard and I deserve nice things. I deserve vacations. I deserve to feel good and look good. Don't tell me how to spend my money."

Boy, does that one seem to stick in people's minds hard. Yes, you deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labors. You can buy anything you want, but you can't buy everything you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
What kind of car company is dumb enough to loan out 70k at 0% interest over 8 years? The company is the one BWM here.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There's definitely a catch somewhere that the buyer is not aware of yet, but will pay this thread dividends in the future.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lostleaf posted:

What kind of car company is dumb enough to loan out 70k at 0% interest over 8 years? The company is the one BWM here.

I don't know the specifics, but the "Buy Here, Pay Here" episode of Last Week Tonight said that some BHPH lots don't really care about the overall interest rates because most of their revenue comes from the initial sale of the car, repossessing it, and then selling it again or financing costs that are separate from the interest rate.

According to the episode, the average car sold at a BHPH lot is sold 6 times. They tracked one that was sold 13 times in 3 years.

Edit:

Car Dealer Magazine lists "Collections," "Marketing," and "Underwriting" as the three most important profit centers in a BHPH lot.

The article comes off as moderately sociopathic in how plainly and calmly it describes some of this.

quote:

What makes a collection good or bad depends on how often collections call the customer and how good they are at making collections and how effective their repossessions are, notes Simon. Dealers are learning that unless they put technology on these cars to ensure payment they can’t fund the deal.

Two options available today can improve collections significantly.

One idea is to outsource collections to a professional collections business. This may be one way for you to reduce overhead and improve cash flow, while at the same time getting more payments in-house to ensure profitability.

The other option is to install a payment-protection device, a.k.a. a starter interrupt, on all vehicles sold.

Sekurus markets two types of interrupt devices: A code-based device that requires the owner to input a code into the car-mounted device in order to start the vehicle because the required code is changed monthly, skipped payments or defaults eventually mean a car that won’t start. The other type of device is GPS-based and does not require a code to operate- instead it lets the dealer track the vehicles location and find it quickly if it needs repossessing.

These tools, Simon notes, can help dealers move a traditional 40 percent BHPH delinquency rate to 95 percent current. Krueger says he wouldn’t describe these devices as a magic bullet. Dealers will still lose a small portion of their portfolio, but they can reduce losses greatly.

If these devices make it possible for the dealer to collect payments 96 percent of the time and reduce his collections time for the remaining four percent, he is a better businessman and will be better off financially, Krueger notes.

PayTeck favors a Web-based asset tracking and management tool over code or GPS devices. Krueger recommends that dealers who use these products place them on all of the vehicles they sell. Use of this tool, however, will still require some activity by your collections staff. The Web tool shows each vehicle sold by VIN, owner, and payment due date. If a payment is not made on time the collections staff simply checks a box on the Web page, which prevents the vehicle from being started. Once payment is received the box can be unchecked and the vehicle can be started.

We’ve seen dealers using this tool reduce their collections staff significantly and the remaining staff can easily handle the account load. It is a more efficient, but not automatic, way to get and keep collections current, Krueger says.

quote:

What these funds thought they were buying was the buyer’s ability to pay, but in reality they were buying the dealers ability to have good policies and procedures as well as good deal structuring guidelines, he continues.

https://www.dealermarketing.com/the...%2034%20months.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 11, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

There's definitely a catch somewhere that the buyer is not aware of yet, but will pay this thread dividends in the future.

Even if there's no catch in the financial contracts, one catch is that this guy absolutely will be still be paying $700/mo in 2028 for a very much no longer new SUV that has been out of warranty for years and has had a handful of expected maintenance and repair issues on top of that monthly payment. He'll think it's "on it's last legs" because it needs new tires and repeat the cycle, assuming he hasn't rolled that neggy eggy over into another new SUV by year 4.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
He'll get a letter from the dealership 18 months from now telling him that his specific model year SUV is in high demand, but they're practically having to give away brand new ones so can he please trade in his old SUV for a new one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
He probably paid $70,000 for a $50,000 book-value SUV.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

He probably paid $70,000 for a $50,000 book-value SUV.

And if the dealer is expecting to repossess it within a year foregoing interest in lieu of more total debt could be a good (but rear end in a top hat) move. Sell it again for 40k, go after the original buyer for the 30k difference.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A bold new investment strategy.

quote:

My friend buys stocks high (so he can own the most valuable and expensive stocks) and sells them low when they aren’t expensive anymore.

quote:

He bought Amazon stock because he wanted to brag that he owned stocks that were "over $2,000 per share" and then sold when the market crashed because of Corona. He did the same thing with Tesla a year or two ago. He likes to see the big numbers on the value, but panics when they start dropping.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Found this for the r/relationships thread but also on point over here

AITA for Not Co-signing for my BF?

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been together on and off for almost 4 years. Within the first few months of me knowing him, he traded in his truck for a newer model with a higher payment. He never talked to me about it. He just showed up at my place one evening with a new car. The relationship was new, and he was in a much better place than me financially at the time. I kept my mouth shut. Fast Foward to about 1.5 years later, our relationship is getting more serious and we’re actively discussing a future. He shows up one evening with a brand new truck that he definitely can’t afford. I was annoyed that he had made such a stupid financial decision without even bringing it up with me especially when I knew he couldn’t afford it. At this point our finances are completely separate. The truck payment added to his financial burden, and he began to really struggle financially. He was spending more money each month than he was taking in. He ended up drowning in credit card debt just trying keep up. I’m pretty good at budgeting and saving, so I offered multiple times to go over his finances with him and make a budget. He was stressed and defensive. He didn’t want my help. At this time, I bought my own car. I have good credit, so I could have gotten a brand new car. But, I decided on a 2010 Corolla with a low monthly payment that I could easily payoff early. Our relationship started to decline and he broke up with me. After 3 months of him actively trying to get me back, we begin to reconcile. I found out that while we were apart, he had traded his unaffordable truck for an even newer, nicer more unaffordable one. He claimed that it was his way of comforting himself after our breakup. A few months after we were back together, he asked me to co-sign on another auto loan for him. He needed my good credit score to help him get out of his unaffordable car loan and into a more affordable one.The “more affordable” options he was looking at were all way more expensive than the humble car I had bought for myself. I didn’t feel like it was my responsibility to bail him out. I’ve worked really hard for my finances and credit to be where they are right now. The subject was dropped, and it wasn’t brought up again until today (9 months later). He thinks that I didn’t trust him or believe in him enough to co-sign for him. He’s still upset about it, and he’s holding a grudge. I tried to explain my perspective, but he just accused me of not being “all in”. I don’t think he gets it. I told him I would be more willing to help him if he would have consulted me or considered me on any of these purchases. His finances have began to improve over the last few months, so things aren’t as dire at the moment. But, like I said, he’s still holding a grudge. AITA?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A tell-tale sign of an uninformed newbie investor is giving even one poo poo about the nominal dollar value of a share of any given stock. 100 shares at $20 is the same as 10 shares at $200 is the same as 1 share at $2,000. No matter which way you slice it you've got $2,000 invested in the company.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 11, 2020

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
witches have bad car credit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkzLqGkw1Y

one way to get a check to clear

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Griefor posted:

And if the dealer is expecting to repossess it within a year foregoing interest in lieu of more total debt could be a good (but rear end in a top hat) move. Sell it again for 40k, go after the original buyer for the 30k difference.

BHPH lots don't deal in $70k cars. That's partially because of the capital risk of losing an expensive car, but mostly because their financial and repo practices range from "legally questionable" to "blatant felonies." People who can afford a $70k car can usually afford lawyers and are sometimes well-connected with cops and prosecutors. People who can only afford $3k cars by paying $400/month are much easier targets.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Alan Smithee posted:

where does the M2 competition fall in

so did he get a chevy or a ford

He married his girlfriend right before boot camp and and bought her a clapped out mustang from a lot 2 blocks from base once he got stationed in SoCal.

Within 3 years he got a dishonorable discharge for being involved with some other guys trafficking party drugs. When he came back to visit her family after getting out of jail, he had some dumb CD turntables set and a plan to become a DJ. He was also carrying an unregistered snubnosed revolver with a shaved hammer despite his status as a drug felon.

He is now a youth pastor in Texas, which is oddly fitting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-08-04/the-inside-story-of-pepsi-s-philippines-bottle-contest-fiasco

What happened when Pepsi accidentally printed 600,000 winning bottlecaps in a contest in the Philippines. People were murdered, some of them by Pepsi.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Space Gopher posted:

BHPH lots don't deal in $70k cars. That's partially because of the capital risk of losing an expensive car, but mostly because their financial and repo practices range from "legally questionable" to "blatant felonies." People who can afford a $70k car can usually afford lawyers and are sometimes well-connected with cops and prosecutors. People who can only afford $3k cars by paying $400/month are much easier targets.

Eh, a person who can afford a $70k car, and a lawyer to sue over it, isn't going to default.

I didn't realize it at the time, but my Dad had morals about this. In high school I needed a new car so we hit up all the local used lots looking for something. Found one that had decent looking cars, and when he asked about a discount for cash they flat out told him they only finance cars.

We left immediately. Took me years to realize that it was a BHPH lot that had zero interest in selling cars, they were only interested in scamming people with bad credit and no sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pekinduck posted:

witches have bad car credit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkzLqGkw1Y

one way to get a check to clear

i really enjoy this clip every single time

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-08-04/the-inside-story-of-pepsi-s-philippines-bottle-contest-fiasco

What happened when Pepsi accidentally printed 600,000 winning bottlecaps in a contest in the Philippines. People were murdered, some of them by Pepsi.

Pro click. This is one of the least outrageous paragraphs in the article:

quote:

Pepsi was in the midst of an annus horribilis. In the U.S., dozens of people were claiming they’d found syringes inside its cans, a “tampering” crisis the FBI would later expose as a hoax. Crystal Pepsi, a colorless version of the soda, was selling miserably, soon to become one of history’s great product failures. And a world tour by longtime spokesman Michael Jackson was about to be derailed by accusations of child molestation, with Jackson canceling dates and saying that he’d become addicted to painkillers first prescribed after his hair caught fire during a 1984 Pepsi commercial shoot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

He married his girlfriend right before boot camp and and bought her a clapped out mustang from a lot 2 blocks from base once he got stationed in SoCal.

Sooooo boot.txt

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It looks tacky as heck. Any jewelers have a guess how much he blew on it?

There's a Gem and Jewelry thread in Ask/Tell.

I hate that ring. It's so trendy and opulent.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
How Pepsi briefly became the 6th largest military in the world (Hint: Soviet money was so worthless they had to pay in submarines)

The Pepsi Logo redesign cost 1 million dollars

Well, really they paid one million for this BREATHTAKING Design Strategy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HelleSpud posted:

How Pepsi briefly became the 6th largest military in the world (Hint: Soviet money was so worthless they had to pay in submarines)

The Pepsi Logo redesign cost 1 million dollars

Well, really they paid one million for this BREATHTAKING Design Strategy

That last one is some timecube poo poo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That was money well spent because it takes a special genius to have the imagination and balls to pull of that bullshit.

edit: to be clear, the imagination was in spinning the bullshit, not that they're some loving genius for adding eyes to a loving pepsi logo and pretending it's a face

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You buried the loving lede on that logo article. lol oil and tech INFINITE MONEY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

my favorite part of the Pepsi logo rebrand is the Tropicana one that followed https://www.thebrandingjournal.com/2015/05/what-to-learn-from-tropicanas-packaging-redesign-failure/

https://www.logoworks.com/blog/tropicana-the-case-of-an-unsuccessful-rebranding-attempt/

If I had never heard of Tropicana I couldn't tell you who made the drat OJ

Hell I still can't tell you who makes that OJ. And it says Tropicana on the drat thing

quote:

... "squeeze" maintains a certain level of I guess power when it comes to this notion emotionally about what squeeze means like my squeeze or give me a squeeze or the notion of a hug or the ideas behind the power of love and the idea of transferring that love or converting that attitude between mom and the kids, right?

No matter how much Arnell talks about golden ratios a bad logo is a bad logo

I have to say the orange shaped cap is kinda cool. After he told me where to look for it. Maybe if he put some boobs on a milk carton that could have saved his ad wizard company

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is a consultancy named igor that does names only. only thing they do is naming stuff. should be prima facie evidence they cannot do their only job right, calling it igor

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is a consultancy named igor that does names only. only thing they do is naming stuff. should be prima facie evidence they cannot do their only job right, calling it igor

well would YOU trust Frahnkensteen Naming Agency?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i dunno, if their motto is "we save the good names for you" i feel like i'd give them a shot

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress now I want some OJ

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.igorinternational.com/index.php

its not "we save the good names for you"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they sure as hell aint graphic designers

also Whoop fitness tracker? That just makes me wanna not exercise and go "whoops!"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
their basic argument is that it has to have a negative element to it to be memorable and their portfolio is just a big list of the most unmemorable poo poo

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

whatever goodwill i unilaterally decided to feel for this company evaporated when i got to the whoop fitness tracker right after trutv

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I wonder if they won the OK soda account

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Speaking of bad design, this monstrosity cost over $600k.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Moneyball posted:

It celebrates the universal love of fellatio, I don't see the problem!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Moneyball posted:

should have been for 2020

Instead this absolute perfection will never be used

BigDave posted:

It celebrates the universal love of fellatio, I don't see the problem!

I see a handjob personally

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh man that Tokyo logo is good. :(

I wonder if the London logo came about because they put a bunch of stiff Brits on a committee which came up with the logo, and then no one wanted to speak up and point out that the logo looked like a girl giving a beej.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 12, 2020

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

That Tokyo 2020 logo is unofficial: https://www.creativebloq.com/news/is-this-tokyo-2020-logo-better-than-the-official-design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Even if it were the official logo it'd be useless now because "2020" is part of the design, since the Olympics aren't being held this year. With the official logo they can just increment the year below it and not affect the logo itself.