Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

So Xbox Series X is going to launch in November with no flagship launch title? Am I understanding this correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Coming tomorrow: “PS5 October 31”

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Zushio posted:

Aloy sounds like alloy. Which makes sense in my head because an alloy is a combination of metals, whereas Aloy is a combination of the old and new.

I just assumed it was the female form of Aloysius but this makes some sense

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Baggot posted:

So Xbox Series X is going to launch in November with no flagship launch title? Am I understanding this correctly?

Consoles don’t really launch with flagships anymore do they. I can’t remember anything good from the first year of ps4 games, it’s always placeholder stuff that is forgotten a couple of years in

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
knack had some staying power, in a manner of speaking

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's the PS5 launching with, Miles Morales? That's a tich better but now it's looking like Hyped Up Junk 2077 is gonna be the must-get launch title for the new console generation.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Consoles don’t really launch with flagships anymore do they. I can’t remember anything good from the first year of ps4 games, it’s always placeholder stuff that is forgotten a couple of years in

PS4 had Killzone: Shadow Fall, which despite its reputation in retrospect was a first-party AAA shooter from a flagship studio.

PS5 is going to have Spider-Man: Miles Morales, presumably.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

PS5 also gets the pack-in Astro Bot game, but yeah Cyberpunk is gonna be the closest thing to a flagship-quality title at launch.

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao bullying works

COVID hosed the world months ago, MS was saying Halo in 2020 as recently as 3 weeks ago, all that's changed since then is widespread ridicule of the gameplay reveal. I really think we're looking at a Sonic movie situation here.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

acksplode posted:

PS5 also gets the pack-in Astro Bot game, but yeah Cyberpunk is gonna be the closest thing to a flagship-quality title at launch.

COVID hosed the world months ago, MS was saying Halo in 2020 as recently as 3 weeks ago, all that's changed since then is widespread ridicule of the gameplay reveal. I really think we're looking at a Sonic movie situation here.

From the Geoff Keighley PS5 controller stream it looked like Astrobot is a glorified tutorial for the new controller features, not a real game in any sense.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

From the Geoff Keighley PS5 controller stream it looked like Astrobot is a glorified tutorial for the new controller features, not a real game in any sense.

It's billed as a smaller spinoff, and it's there to showcase the controller, but it's also explicitly a sequel to one of the best PSVR games by a mile, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll be more than a glorified tutorial.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I just assumed it was the female form of Aloysius but this makes some sense

There's a few different metal related names in there. Rost is rust, for example.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Consoles don’t really launch with flagships anymore do they.

No. Sony puts out a few games they can take a hit on at launch, but ultimately there will be a couple of million PS5s in the wild and 100 million PS4s at release. they'd never make a big game a launch title unless it was cross gen.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Red Warrior posted:

They've said that Astro Bot is a "multi-hour game" and not a tutorial.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony and MS openly said how COVID hosed up their game development pipelines so you have to imagine that some of the 2021 games they announced like Demon's Souls or Horizon: Forbidden West were originally intended to be launch/launch window games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Demon's Souls maybe, HZD no way.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Baggot posted:

they always do that. hell so did sony for awhile. you know its hosed if nintendo dont bother (wiiu lol)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
spider-man not 2 is gonna be a good launch game anyway, plus BUGSNAX is 100% launch

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Bugsnax is on ps4 too

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The thing is that PS4 launched without the features that Xbox were touting and then removing after their horrendous reveal for the Xbox One. It was cheaper than the xbox and it just blew away the competition even without games.

Now we are like in a reset and not much is really out there to make a good decision to buy one of these, but xbox just lost its one big launch title and if you're going multiplatform and you're coming from a PS4 (hell or a xbox one) you will just stick with a PS5. Sony built a huge and loyal install base with PS4 that is going to pay off right now imo

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I just started Spider-Man and it's, like, a greatest hits of open world mechanics. It's even got the "wiggle the sticks to manipulate a waveform" minigame

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao bullying works

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I have a PS4 poor that's very old and dying so getting PS5 to play PS4 games is not the worst thing in the world. Death Stranding and Cyberpunk would run like garbage on my current system, and Demons Soul/Spiderman 1.5 will keep me busy for a while.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Red Warrior posted:

Same as it was on PS4 with Playroom. A mini-game collection showcasing the system features that no one else will ever use.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Fix posted:

Same as it was on PS4 with Playroom. A mini-game collection showcasing the system features that no one else will ever use.

Hey, Sucker Punch used them! For graffiti!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure Ubisoft is just loving with us

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1293255295695753216?s=20

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never finished the entire Splinter Cell series. Did Sam get brain damage at some point in the later games?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

veni veni veni posted:

I never finished the entire Splinter Cell series. Did Sam get brain damage at some point in the later games?

No, that's just what Michael Ironside sounds like now.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

acksplode posted:

I keep wanting this to say "Astro Boy" and I'm disappointed every time. :ffg:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I am getting back into Ghosts of Tsushima now that I’ve finished Bloodborne. Before, every time I played GoT I felt guilty that I should be playing the more difficult and historically beloved Bloodborne. GoT is a relaxing open world romp with fun combat, in comparison.

Also the photo mode is dope as all heck

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

they patched ffxiv today and i played 10 hours of ffxiv today and I love ffxiv so goddamn much

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

they patched ffxiv today and i played 10 hours of ffxiv today and I love ffxiv so goddamn much

hm, this

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Arist posted:

If I was starting FFXIV from scratch how long would it take to get to the good stuff I hear so much about?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

If I was starting FFXIV from scratch how long would it take to get to the good stuff I hear so much about?

There is good stuff throughout. It will take you hundreds of hours to get to this specific good stuff at the end, but most of that time will be spent with other also good stuff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Necrothatcher posted:

So, with this patch release today they extended the free trial. You can register a new account (sadly, it has to be new, if you've bought the game or an expansion or paid the subscription at all you're no longer eligible for the trial) and play up to the 3.55 patch, which is the very end of the first expansion. The first expansion is widely considered to be a massive step up in quality in virtually all aspects, because the 2.0 release and following patches were made in a mad scramble to get as much content out as humanly loving possible after they had to relaunch the game following the disaster of 1.0.

At the same time, the developers also cut a lot of bullshit fluff from the story quests preceding the start of the first expansion that was really only there to pad out the length. It took me months to get through that stuff, but they cut several quests and streamlined many more. Like, previously you'd have to fill up a bucket like six times and now you just get a full bucket. It's great.

The initial pace is still quite slow because it's introducing MMO concepts to a Japanese audience less familiar with them, but once it gets going it's incredible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I managed to do 90% of the available content in just over a month but I played it for 12+ hours a day every day.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Baggot posted:

Microsoft isn't dumb, they're just taking a high risk business strategy with Xbox. They're going for a service and ecosystem model whereas Sony is playing a classic console strategy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'll likely never buy an Xbox (due to PC existing) but Microsoft have me locked into the Xbox gamepass ecosystem now with their $1 promo and $5 ongoing sub. That's money I was never going to give them for products they're already going to make. I imagine if they can rope enough people like me into gamepass that running hard at the home entertainment manufacturer hoop will be less important.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Howard Phillips posted:

Microsoft isn't dumb, they're just taking a high risk business strategy with Xbox. They're going for a service and ecosystem model whereas Sony is playing a classic console strategy.

Yeah, but launching a big, expensive new console in the middle of a pandemic without any first party launch titles doesn't help with either of those.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 12, 2020

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man it feels like pulling teeth out of these companies to get any kind of release date info, the point where people are going off street dated boxes of supposed leakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Man it feels like pulling teeth out of these companies to get any kind of release date info, the point where people are going off street dated boxes of supposed leakers.
Aren't they still just playing chicken with each other, trying to figure out who will announce first so they can change their strategy based on it?