Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hp lovecraft is literally the last dude who wrote popular fiction which is in the public domain. this, and not the actual quality, is why he gets adapted so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sleeveless posted:

Cthulhu is popular because he's a monster that looks distinctive and is in the public domain so anyone can capitalize on it. That's the only reason he's popular, every other Lovecraft monster has no real description so there's not a way to merchandise them as easily.

Warhammer is a game where the more powerful units cost more money, it's like the definition of crass manipulative consumerism and the added social pressure to spend a bunch of money to continue to participate in a social group built entirely around consuming a product is way more insidious than anything Funko does.

The more rare and expensive units are actually usually the most impractical and useless in the actual tabletop game

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Waiting in your house, dead but dreaming, is just so relatable.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Can't wait to get this one up on the shelf so people know I'm a fan of... uh... Twin Peaks?

Seeing something like that in someone's home/office is like seeing an unfamiliar bug that's black and yellow. Might be okay, but look out!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Cavauro posted:

fucko poop

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
oi Bazza your nan's proper at them biccies in the skip innit

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The_Continental posted:

I think nerds just like big space demons

They like taking space demons that are unknowable or unfathomable to man and making plastic doodads out of them because you can't market things that exist beyond our perception.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Peanut Butter posted:

oi Bazza your nan's proper at them biccies in the skip innit

yeah bruv, she is proper mad for them biccies. wicked.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

Warhammer is a game where the more powerful units cost more money, it's like the definition of crass manipulative consumerism and the added social pressure to spend a bunch of money to continue to participate in a social group built entirely around consuming a product is way more insidious than anything Funko does.

This is only true if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Imperial Guard are pretty weak.

Custodes are pretty strong.

Try to build a 1000 point list from both and see which is cheaper. Hint : The stronger units are cheaper because you need to buy less boxes of them. The Guardsmen end up being more expensive because they're weaker and you need much more of them.

Not to mention most people who play warhammer aren't trying to be competitive, they just buy what they think looks cool then play games on a casual level. Not everyone is buying new units to own at tournaments. They're not out there buying tons of new kits just because they're what's currently strong, because next edition is likely to nerf all that shiny new poo poo anyways.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 11, 2020

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Please do not touch the funko pops. They are family heirlooms

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptlYwNLW5-s

The best part:

He borrowed the money to buy it.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 11, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Ultra Carp
Why buy a funko pop when you can get a mean gummer from this highly detailed kirby figure
https://twitter.com/quaint_ms/status/1293026723320094721

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

The best part:

why though.

collecting anything obsessively to the point of self destruction seems analogous to scat play.
first you poop and it's all warm and you're having fun, but then you orgasm and the poop has gone cold and now you're sitting alone covered in cold stinky poop and the fun is a distant memory.

don't @ me

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
There’s a lot of mental illness in that video

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tim Whatley posted:

The best part:

I skipped to a bit and he said "one of my patreons is a big spider wars fan so she gets first dibs" implying - HEAVILY IMPLYING that people are paying him to collect funko pops. :mad:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I skipped to a bit and he said "one of my patreons is a big spider wars fan so she gets first dibs" implying - HEAVILY IMPLYING that people are paying him to collect funko pops. :mad:

Imagine convincing a bunch of idiots in Patreon to fund your lovely toy collecting.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Tim Whatley posted:

The best part:

Holy smoely guacamole!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Strumpie posted:

why though.

Because it gets hate-clicks, same reason that restaurants offer gold-covered dishes that cost thousands of dollars that nobody actually orders outside of designated clickbait videos. Congrats on getting played.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Strumpie posted:

why though.

collecting anything obsessively to the point of self destruction seems analogous to scat play.
first you poop and it's all warm and you're having fun, but then you orgasm and the poop has gone cold and now you're sitting alone covered in cold stinky poop and the fun is a distant memory.

don't @ me

I don't know if sitting in your funko filled room is the warm poop or cold poop part of the experience. Is it the buy ing or the owning that appeals to these guys?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I own like 2 funko pops, I decided to see if they were worth anything and apparently this dumb piece of poo poo that I have is worth $200. Thats going straight on eBay lol

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Chrs posted:

I own like 2 funko pops, I decided to see if they were worth anything and apparently this dumb piece of poo poo that I have is worth $200. Thats going straight on eBay lol

Don't be an idiot, it'll be worth easily double that in twenty years!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Strumpie posted:

i have the ability to move between different countries and even live there if i choose.
it's a rare skill so i appreciate that it makes my perspective on the world different from most and may make it seem like i exist in a sort of Utopian gestalt nation where Dumpster brand skips and Hoover brand vacuum cleaner co-exist.

i apologise for my elitism and will be certain to not mention any more Proprietary Eponyms.
Not at all, I move around too. The question was more about who you were imagining is servile to *both* brand names, since the servility is generally picked up by being raised in a society where chanting the name of the overlord is the standard.

I guess maybe you were thinking of doing it yourself, adopting all the corporate names because you've lived in both places? I went with all the generic names, but I could see it going the other way. The brand names are generally more fun to pronounce than the generic terms.

Anyway, back on topic, in some areas they're called Funko Soda.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Chrs posted:

That's genuinely cool
Congrats goon
:)

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Rank in order from most embarrassing to least to have openly displayed in your home:

Very poorly painted 40k army (20,000 points of Space Wolves)
50 Funko
100 amiibo
1 big tiddy anime figurine
Lifelike sex doll
Naruto manga collection
Confederate flag

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

I think this dramatic reaction to nerds painting chunky spacemans is actually more embarrassing than a collection of spacemans.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
With Warhammer stuff if you were just to make a mold and cast your own figures - would you be allowed to play with them or would people throw an absolute shitfit about it?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i recently went into a Games Workshop for a laugh (i think now just called WARHAMMER) and nothing had a price on it, lol.

being a customer is you paying to be treated like company chattel.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

watched the first ten seconds w/o sound, already appalled. saw 25 more minutes...

Strumpie posted:

i recently went into a Games Workshop for a laugh (i think now just called WARHAMMER) and nothing had a price on it, lol.

being a customer is you paying to be treated like company chattel.

'i went into a nerd store to see of it still sold nerd poo poo, ironically' nice try buddy.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

With Warhammer stuff if you were just to make a mold and cast your own figures - would you be allowed to play with them or would people throw an absolute shitfit about it?

I believe if you got to an actual shop and admitted it you wouldn't be allowed to use them in tourneys, but outside of that specific context you'll largely get more respect for making your own figures if they're actually decent.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

'i went into a nerd store to see of it still sold nerd poo poo, ironically' nice try buddy.

im sorry i insulted your WARHAMMER

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Tim Whatley posted:

The best part:

don't doxx me... I thought goons were united

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jawdins posted:

don't doxx me... I thought goons were united

Yes. United in our hated of goons.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I mean between the ones he sold and the adsense money he's gonna get for that video he probably broke even at least so well done getting dumbasses to watch that video (including us)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thanks for the thread, but i'm more of a porcelain birds kinda guy

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Ultra Carp
Yeah, people can stop posting about funko pops and other vinyl trash. I've moved on to 'Wade Whimsies'

which are for discerning people and tea drinkers only

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

From what I recall, for Official Tournaments, all your spacemans have to be 100% Games Workshop parts and pieces, or completely scratch built. Of course if you have a resin printer and paint your models well no one will be able to tell the difference.

In an interesting twist of fate, the advance of 3D printers has driven GW to make ever increasingly elaborate and hard-to-print models, which legit kick rear end. I mean look at this thing, its like 5 inches tall:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Funkos are like Precious Moments(tm) figurines but for dweebazoids

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mr. Bones posted:

The only funkopop I've ever bought was this Tom Servo one, because he pretty much just looks the same as he always does except his dome's a little bigger.

blight rhino posted:

I bought this for a chick, and then we had sex. Funkos are okay by me

i don't know if this works in every situation. it was her birthday, at least

Heath posted:

I kinda like this one. Mostly because it doesn't look like a Funko Pop.

Came here to post this. I think Funko Pops are dumb as hell but I really wanted Crow and Tom for my desk and you can't really buy vinyl figurines of them anywhere. Plus these two are actually recognizable and not another rounded lump of plastic with a 2-cent paint job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, people can stop posting about funko pops and other vinyl trash. I've moved on to 'Wade Whimsies'

which are for discerning people and tea drinkers only

Holy poo poo, I had a ton of these because my dad drank Red Rose tea or whatever it was. I completely forgot about them until now.

Will Funko Pops ever give anyone a nostalgia rush like that?