Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tailscale + droplet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shame Boy posted:

i wish someone had warned me about this, i touched a printer once at work and now i'm the printer guy who has to touch all the printers

i dont even know where our printer is, or if we have one :smug:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

i wish someone had warned me about this, i touched a printer once at work and now i'm the printer guy who has to touch all the printers

lmao
if you touch a computer with anything but barely held back contempt you are automatically the "it guy"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

starting to lose my patience with nord. i've been having a lot of trouble connecting over the past few weeks and their app gives you no indication of where the problem may be. pretty frustrating!!

if you havent done it already go to options -> auto connect. disable "choose a vpn protocol automatically" and change your vpn protocol to nordlynx which is their wireguard implementation. its waaaaaaaaaaay better than openvpn which is a huge pile of poo poo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

my secret to printer success was to buy a $40 brother laser printer on black friday, and use it to print for the next decade without needing to replace the toner cart that it came with.

long term archival should be done on laser anyways, because it's plastic melted onto the paper instead ink that can run/fade. and if you're that paranoid, you can smash it after you print your bitcoin codes, then buy another.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

PIZZA.BAT posted:

starting to lose my patience with nord. i've been having a lot of trouble connecting over the past few weeks and their app gives you no indication of where the problem may be. pretty frustrating!!

nord is pretty wild they spend a shitload of money advertising and apparently somewhere close to $0 on configuring their vpn servers

this is a pretty good list of vpn hosts and caveats
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

tailscale + droplet
That or mullvad, yeah

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

or algo if you just want ipsec which works natively without a client on basically every os

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

D. Ebdrup posted:

or algo if you just want ipsec which works natively without a client on basically every os

unfortunately IPSec gets broken by ISPs all the time, especially WiFi providers.

Shaggar posted:

if you havent done it already go to options -> auto connect. disable "choose a vpn protocol automatically" and change your vpn protocol to nordlynx which is their wireguard implementation. its waaaaaaaaaaay better than openvpn which is a huge pile of poo poo.

Is wireguard any good yet? It seems like it’s been in beta forever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ewiley posted:

i use it, has a few annoying quirks that are probably only annoying to me due to how my home network is set up but otherwise it's Fine™

don't trust it with state secrets or anything but it gets my traffic where i want it when i'm not home :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm thinking of trying to practice playbooks by setting up Algo on a spare Pi. Does anyone know if Algo is poo poo or not?

Like, I'm not even sure I'd actually use it IRL but being able to run mobile traffic through my PiHoles when I'm "away from keyboard" (as the kids say these days) would be a nice-to-have?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

I'm thinking of trying to practice playbooks by setting up Algo on a spare Pi. Does anyone know if Algo is poo poo or not?

Like, I'm not even sure I'd actually use it IRL but being able to run mobile traffic through my PiHoles when I'm "away from keyboard" (as the kids say these days) would be a nice-to-have?
I think I used algo before and it worked fine but you don't need to know anything about ansible to use it anyway?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mystes posted:

I think I used algo before and it worked fine but you don't need to know anything about ansible to use it anyway?

Yeah but I'm looking at an impending job change and I know gently caress-all about ansible/terraform/whatever else is on every loving job posting these days and I'm very much a learn-by-doing person (as cool as "scriptable wiki lists" assuredly is I just can't read Ansible For DevOps and retain any of it without actually doing something that I want done). Algo has a good walk-through for Ansible and and standing up a VPN is useful/something I've wanted to do for a while.

Sometimes the Chocolate and the Peanut Butter have to have a reason to be in the same room, is what I'm saying?

:shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ewiley posted:

unfortunately IPSec gets broken by ISPs all the time, especially WiFi providers.

the only place i've used it with is nordvpn and it works infinitely better than using it w/ openvpn. it could be that since they're still in a testing mode with it the servers setup for it are in better shape, i.e. low user loads, proper config, better hosting, but i pretty much always hit my bandwidth limit. w/ openvpn i'd get close and some hosts were dogshit.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Wireguard is fine and you can connect to cloudflare's warp vpn with it. Miles better experience than both openvpn and ipsec

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I thought Algo supported wireguard now

e: it does

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it has done for ages, pretty sure I was using it a couple of years ago

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
tbh openvpn doesn't get enough credit for being Fine and also multi-platform

i run it as a server on openwrt on a router smaller than a deck of cards and it used to work great when i'd work from anywhere else in the beforetimes, so it can probably run just fine for a nerd and a few friends in aws or something for private ut99 matches

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
they’re all multiplatform tho? even wireguard stopped being a linux thing ages ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

That or mullvad, yeah

mullvad is nice yeah, airvpn is also an option

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

openvpn is fine but windows 10 does some absolutely mind glowingly dumb poo poo with networking that fucks with any VPN that doesn't specifically use a built in windows tunnel interface and openvpn/basically all ssl vpn just install a virtual 10/100/1000 adapter

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

openvpn is fine but windows 10 does some absolutely mind glowingly dumb poo poo with networking that fucks with any VPN that doesn't specifically use a built in windows tunnel interface and openvpn/basically all ssl vpn just install a virtual 10/100/1000 adapter

can you expand on this? to me having the interface makes sense as it needs to present an L3 gateway to route traffic via

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

taqueso posted:

How do companies keep track of their secret keys so they don't leak but also aren't lost? Seems like a hard problem especially with backups.

i mean isnt this literally the purpose of HSMs? keep private keys available but non exportable.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ewiley posted:

?

what specifically are you talking about? ssl injection or...?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

?

what specifically are you talking about? ssl injection or...?

i recall hearing about some ISPs blocking things like IPsec and SMTP if you're on a residential service, the idea being that they can then make you pay more for a "business" service. that was some time ago though

edit: also not sure what ewiley means with "WiFi providers"

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 8, 2020

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
AFAIK SMTP is because the average state of user's box is owned. Never heard of IPSec being blocked.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

Wireguard is fine and you can connect to cloudflare's warp vpn with it. Miles better experience than both openvpn and ipsec

i recently spun up a new digital ocean droplet for vpn / dns (pi-hole) purposes 'cause apparently they're offering double the resources for the same price i had been paying and i decided to give wireguard a shot instead of openvpn. super easy to setup, very happy with it so far.

are there any concrete concerns with wireguard, beyond it just being the new hotness and therefore probably actually broken in three dozen facepalm worthy ways?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
wireguard appears to be secure but was not designed to keep you anonymous, so don’t use it if you’re trying to do illegal poo poo, your activity may be identifiable from server logs

nordvpn claim their implementation fixes the by-design privacy issues but i haven’t actually looked at what they’ve done so can’t comment further

it’s great if you’re just connecting known people to your own networks tho

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

because i'm a giant turbo-nerd i've got a fortigate 60E-POE firewall at home which i've configured to do SSL-VPN with MFA via a Duo Auth Proxy (the Duo free-tier is very needs suiting). that way whenever im on the go i can tunnel back through my home internet. also i customised the SSL-VPN web portal so that it's very 219.css https://vpn.darkstar1.net/

e: just remembered i'm restricting connections by geoip so if you're not in AU that link prolly won't work

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 8, 2020

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Oneiros posted:

i recently spun up a new digital ocean droplet for vpn / dns (pi-hole) purposes 'cause apparently they're offering double the resources for the same price i had been paying and i decided to give wireguard a shot instead of openvpn. super easy to setup, very happy with it so far.

are there any concrete concerns with wireguard, beyond it just being the new hotness and therefore probably actually broken in three dozen facepalm worthy ways?

algo or Streisand will setup encrypted DNS for whatever that’s worth

just get an openwrt compatible router and install openvpn or wireguard on it and then you can safely remove windows and install gentoo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

can you expand on this? to me having the interface makes sense as it needs to present an L3 gateway to route traffic via

the windows native VPN also creates interfaces for VPN connections (as does wireguard), so he may be talking about specific interface types maybe? Not really sure.

either way i think its still a problem with openvpn as other 3rd party proprietary SSL/ipsec VPNs do the exact same thing and dont have some of the same performance issues as openvpn.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
q!=e

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i recall hearing about some ISPs blocking things like IPsec and SMTP if you're on a residential service, the idea being that they can then make you pay more for a "business" service. that was some time ago though

edit: also not sure what ewiley means with "WiFi providers"

Back when people actually traveled, some in-flight and hotel WiFi would gently caress with IPSec connections, deprioritizing the traffic, breaking them in weird ways. Forcing to HTTPS seemed to work OK, but was a lot lower performance for my VPN.

Oh my Goooooood I had to deal with this fuckery when we moved from win7 to win10. They added some magic to the windows networking stack to silently prefer some interfaces while ignoring the actual OS routing table. Using find-netroute was literally the only way to see it in action. The upshot was when using full-tunnel VPN Windows would end up looping traffic through the “very fast” VPN pseudo-interface away from the regular interface despite there being a /32 route to the vpn gateway. Windows would read the iftype of the interface in the registry but the OpenVPN TAP adapter (and all other VPN provider adapters) showed up as ‘ethernet’. Microsoft has a ‘vpn’ adapter type, but that’s only for their PPP virtual adapters that didn’t work with the lazy code that VPN software developers used assuming their virtual adapters work just like Ethernet adapters (with respect to things like DHCP address assignment, ARP, etc).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rogers ISP here in Canada at one point qossed all secure traffic into the ground because people were using secured bit torrent connections that they couldn't spy on, so all home workers logged into VPNs got lovely throughput for months

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ewiley posted:

Back when people actually traveled, some in-flight and hotel WiFi would gently caress with IPSec connections, deprioritizing the traffic, breaking them in weird ways. Forcing to HTTPS seemed to work OK, but was a lot lower performance for my VPN.

I have heard of some hotels which would offer two wifi networks to guests. One which was free and had access to web, social media, Netflix etc. But block most common VPN and similar traffic. Then a second which allowed that traffic but to connect cost extra. The idea being people travelling for leisure would generally not pay for the upgrade but would complain on trip advisor etc if they didn’t work. Corporate travellers would not care and just expense the upgrade back to their company.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ewiley posted:

Oh my Goooooood I had to deal with this fuckery when we moved from win7 to win10. They added some magic to the windows networking stack to silently prefer some interfaces while ignoring the actual OS routing table. Using find-netroute was literally the only way to see it in action. The upshot was when using full-tunnel VPN Windows would end up looping traffic through the “very fast” VPN pseudo-interface away from the regular interface despite there being a /32 route to the vpn gateway. Windows would read the iftype of the interface in the registry but the OpenVPN TAP adapter (and all other VPN provider adapters) showed up as ‘ethernet’. Microsoft has a ‘vpn’ adapter type, but that’s only for their PPP virtual adapters that didn’t work with the lazy code that VPN software developers used assuming their virtual adapters work just like Ethernet adapters (with respect to things like DHCP address assignment, ARP, etc).

WFH these last couple of months I have had nothing but trouble dealing with split tunnelling on the corp VPN.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Varkk posted:

I have heard of some hotels which would offer two wifi networks to guests. One which was free and had access to web, social media, Netflix etc. But block most common VPN and similar traffic. Then a second which allowed that traffic but to connect cost extra. The idea being people travelling for leisure would generally not pay for the upgrade but would complain on trip advisor etc if they didn’t work. Corporate travellers would not care and just expense the upgrade back to their company.

Whatever Acela does to its onboard WiFi would make it so my IPSec vpn could start and pass *a tiny bit* of traffic then just refuse to do any more. whatever British Airways uses domestically works fine but over the Atlantic it would poo poo the bed but SSL still kept chugging along :shrug:

I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with it anymore.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

WFH these last couple of months I have had nothing but trouble dealing with split tunnelling on the corp VPN.

I’m really curious about ‘cloud’ based web filtering and pseudo-VPN “SASE” like Netskope. It uses some kind of DNS hackery to forward all web traffic to a filtering service, is able to offload boring web traffic like YouTube and facebook to a local proxy, and back-haul sensitive traffic over a tunnel all using a local agent. This has the advantages of a split tunnel to send known traffic out local internet access and secure ‘internal’ traffic over a tunnel, all while maintaining things like DLP and SSL decryption somehow.

sorry to poo poo-up the secfuck thread with VPN janitoring, but after 4 months of full-tunnel VPN to systems that really were meant for temporary use it’s getting a bit more attention than usual, and i can foresee some spectacular remote access secfuckling coming up.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
we use Zscaler Private Access and Internet access, same concept. works well enough but the adoption was painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Mozilla laid off 250 people.

From which department? Well given where I'm posting, you may have figured already

https://twitter.com/MichalPurzynski/status/1293220570885062657
(and some others)