Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I imagine it must be a past president, or someone who still gets protection. The current president does not strike me as a skier.

He does strike me as a person to check into Telluride in August and expect to be able to ski though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ivanka Trump stayed at the Fairmont at Whistler two seasons ago.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Double post to ask, do you think Obama is a skier or a boarder?

-Edit-

Michelle Obama is a skier, according to this article.

https://snowbrains.com/michelle-obama-skiing-is-her-golf/

Pretty sure my facility had a pretty lovely incident involving Michelle Obama's plane as it was coming out of a ski country airport a few years back.

E: I can only find info on the one at Andrews but I swear we had something here too.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 9, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

He does strike me as a person to check into Telluride in August and expect to be able to ski though.

I think I have been inside too much lately to forget it is the middle of Summer

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
lmao turns out it’s Kanye West, the dumbest possible option

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

This is severely disappointing.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

A couple of years ago the kardashians tried to get a free stay at a luxury property in return for the instagram exposure they would garner for Telluride and were told to gently caress off so maybe this is their revenge

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The Obamas ski Aspen.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Is Aspen gaining a whole bunch of new refugees residents? My wife handles long term rentals for her lodging company and the requests she’s getting are pure comedy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why the gently caress does Kanye West get SS protection?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I think because he's now a presidential candidate.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I honestly thought he had already dropped out lol

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Is Aspen gaining a whole bunch of new refugees residents? My wife handles long term rentals for her lodging company and the requests she’s getting are pure comedy.

Over 2x the amount of residential properties are under contract right now compared to a normal year

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Are you folks buying passes yet for this coming season? I was going to re-up on the Ikon since I mostly ski winter park but, let's just say I'm not very confident it's going to be anywhere a normal year, and I don't really want to drop 800 bucks on a pass I get to use 4 times. Just curious what others are thinking/feeling.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You summed it up pretty well. Hard to see anything approaching a normal season this winter, particularly at resorts close to busy metro areas.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

bawfuls posted:

You summed it up pretty well. Hard to see anything approaching a normal season this winter, particularly at resorts close to busy metro areas.

Yeah I can just imagine Colorado front range being a loving poo poo show if it's a reservation system. Any of us with m-f jobs just won't be able to ski, I think.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Biohazard posted:

Yeah I can just imagine Colorado front range being a loving poo poo show if it's a reservation system. Any of us with m-f jobs just won't be able to ski, I think.

It is hard to know. I have biked at WP and they seem to have the system down pretty good but there is way less people and it is easier to be outside all day.

I am probably going to get my epic pass (only a couple weeks to decide...) as it is only $530. Since I am probably not traveling to ski we will just do some local days off mid week I am guessing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

On the one hand, it sure seems like Mammoth's business model is completely incompatible with COVID reality (i.e. packed lodges/bars/lift lines on weekends).

On the other hand, the new WFH reality means that maybe I could be up there mid-week and ski some early mornings. Hard to say.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Imagine being in Clocktower Cellar in the present climate

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

On the one hand, it sure seems like Mammoth's business model is completely incompatible with COVID reality (i.e. packed lodges/bars/lift lines on weekends).

On the other hand, the new WFH reality means that maybe I could be up there mid-week and ski some early mornings. Hard to say.

This is kind of my thought as well.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Now that I think about it, there are probably enough indefinite WFH skiers in SoCal to keep Mammoth surprisingly busy mid week.

Guess we’ll see

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kiimo posted:

Imagine being in Clocktower Cellar in the present climate
:rip::rip::rip:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can't you push this years ikon pass back to the following year? I'm pretty sure that's what finally sold me on grabbing mine. I'll just wait a while to see how things pan out before using it.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

fknlo posted:

Can't you push this years ikon pass back to the following year? I'm pretty sure that's what finally sold me on grabbing mine. I'll just wait a while to see how things pan out before using it.

Yeah, though I think the cutoff is some time in December so, in theory they could close everything down in January and you'd just be hosed. I'd like to think they wouldn't do that based off of just pissing off their customers, but since there's only two companies to buy from, I doubt they really give a poo poo.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Apparently the CEO of Telluride Ski and Golf resigned on Friday because the owner of the mountain is a dipshit and now our ski season is even more in jeopardy than it was.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not buying this year because I have no idea where I'll be living after December.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not buying this year because I have no idea if I'll be living after December.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I went for a midweek pass, just hope that Bachelor figures out a better system than the 500 per day shitshow web signup where all the spots are gone in 4 seconds. I'm glad they did it in march? to help passholders and managed to snag a spot one day but there were definitely faults in the system and potential for abuse.

Stanky Bean fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 11, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am interested to know how all the resorts that rely on tightly packed shuttles from parking lots outside of walking distance will adapt. Seems like that could be a major hurdle to overcome. I guess restricting guest numbers helps to alleviate that issue to an extent though. I would be interested to see how places that have big chokepoints with long sprawling lines, like the Whistler Gondolas handle this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I was just reading Loveland's plan. I don't understand how you don't have singles lines (basically). If only your party can ride together...makes no sense. Loveland has some lower capacity chairs but if that plays out at other areas do you let the single guy hop on a 6 person chair alone?

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 11, 2020

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

kinda lol'ing at the idea of liftees policing things any more than they already (don't) do

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Biohazard posted:

Yeah, though I think the cutoff is some time in December so, in theory they could close everything down in January and you'd just be hosed. I'd like to think they wouldn't do that based off of just pissing off their customers, but since there's only two companies to buy from, I doubt they really give a poo poo.

They seem to have changed that. Now they say if you don't use the pass, you can defer it to the following season.

quote:

Should a 20/21 Ikon Pass holder not use their Ikon Pass product after June 4, 2020, for any reason, they may elect between September 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021 to receive a full credit for the purchase price of their unused 20/21 Ikon Pass to be used toward the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass product, subject to applicable terms and conditions.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Zero idea what I'm going to do. I would very much like to not spend $1600 on my pass or whatever without a reasonable chance of getting like 40 days. Luckily I can go 2-3 times for 2-3 hours midweek and we don't have many tourists as it is, but fuuuuck that's a lot of money and uncertainty.

But I don't have to worry about making the decision for a few more weeks as SkiCo has decided not to deal with chamber passes until at least after Labor Day

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I like to ski to relax and now I am sorta low key worried that the whole season might just end up being more stress adding than relieving overall.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The vibe on the hill in Aus is very weird. theres no atmosphere because theres less people, and while I dont have any first hand experience, reports seem to be week days are busier than weekends, at least with regards to lift lines.

This seems to be due to the pay-to-play nature of the lift tickets ($40 more over last year, and limited weekend availability pushing weekenders into mid-week trips).

Season pass holders get to just show up and ride any day of the week so I imagine they limit the ticket sales on weekends in case a bunch of epic pass holders turn up.

The positives I guess are that theres less traffic on the hills and food/drink lines, more people seem to be season pass holders and thus decent riders and anyone who is being an rear end in a top hat is quickly removed from the resort.

heading down for my 7th/8th days on snow this season on Friday. its amazing what regular short trips do for your abilities. I improved more over the last 4 days of riding that in the past season, for sure.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Anyone have a recommendation for AIARE level one courses in the front range? Either companies or specific instructors. Interested in CMG's split course with tues/thurs evening classroom but wondering if it's worth the price premium vs. some of the other providers.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I liked Colorado Mountain School, but that was about eleven or so years ago. YMMV, but I believe they’re still doing strong work. I stayed in Estes and we drove into the park for field work.

One other thing worth mentioning, I found it helpful to take the course mid-season. A decent snowpack made for a better experience when digging pits and, of course, getting to do some skiing at the end of the class.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Follow up

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/statu...ingawful.com%2F

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for AIARE level one courses in the front range? Either companies or specific instructors. Interested in CMG's split course with tues/thurs evening classroom but wondering if it's worth the price premium vs. some of the other providers.

I did a Wednesday night/friday night and then SAT/SUN with Colorado Mountain School like 5 years ago. It was good and I didn't have to take a day off work. I have done a rescue course with APEX out of Avon and they were also good.

I agree go later in the year (but also if you want to get out there you can risk going earlier). I did a late December class and I would say we just had enough snow. It would have been more interesting later in the season though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

*vomits in mouth a little*