Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

habeasdorkus posted:

She's Fighter 5+/Cleric 9+, which actually gives her more hit dice than Durkon apparently has.

Also, Redcloak's homebrew Implosion apparently causes damage even on a successful save.

That can't be right, can it? I thought she was low-level enough that she was having trouble hitting the vampires, I didn't think she was anything much over level 5 or so. I came here to ask how much of a threat she could possibly be to Redcloak, even with a giant hammer surprise round, and wondering how likely it was that she was even able to hit him with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Assuming Thor's Might is Righteous Might, she'd have to be a level 9 Cleric alone to cast it, and it's been confirmed she's got Fighter levels. (I guess I'm not sure why she would have 5+ fighter levels, exactly)

I guess the other alternative is that the hammer lets you cast Thor's Might like, 1/day or something?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arzaac posted:

Assuming Thor's Might is Righteous Might, she'd have to be a level 9 Cleric alone to cast it, and it's been confirmed she's got Fighter levels. (I guess I'm not sure why she would have 5+ fighter levels, exactly)

I guess the other alternative is that the hammer lets you cast Thor's Might like, 1/day or something?

I'm assuming a bit of fiat based levelling a la the character nemesis. Minrah has been to valhallah and met Thor, after all, that's gotta be worth an arbitrary large bunch of xp.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

sebmojo posted:

I'm assuming a bit of fiat based levelling a la the character nemesis. Minrah has been to valhallah and met Thor, after all, that's gotta be worth an arbitrary large bunch of xp.

Not enough XP that Roy didn't tell her that this was out of her league and that they couldn't guarantee her safety. This was after she died and came back, right before they left for the last gate.

The GITP forums thread links that comic to explain why she must be Fighter 5+, which doesn't make much sense, but it does imply that she has more Fighter levels than Cleric when she says she's a great fighter. I suppose Thor's Might doesn't necessarily have to be a 5th level spell?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I assumed Thor's Might was a domain power, myself. Not a spell.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
It sure is an underwhelming spell for a 5th level slot.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

For some reason I always assumed Thor’s Might was like a 3rd level spell?

Also according to the OotS wiki the current year is just the year according to the calendar not how long the world’s actually existed, although I’m not sure where that info comes from?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It sure is an underwhelming spell for a 5th level slot.

Your weapons grow with you, and 3.5e has a whole convoluted thing about weapons larger (or smaller) than medium having scaling damage die. So you get the strength bonus, but also your longsword goes from 1d8 to 2d6.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I assumed Thor's Might was a domain power, myself. Not a spell.

The vampire Durkon could also cast it, despite not at all being a cleric of Thor.

Though I guess we don't actually know Durkon's domains. I'd always assumed it was Air/Good, but the Air domain doesn't grant Call Lightning, and neither does any other SRD domain. I guess he's got some kind of homebrew/splatbook Storm domain?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Phenotype posted:

That can't be right, can it? I thought she was low-level enough that she was having trouble hitting the vampires, I didn't think she was anything much over level 5 or so. I came here to ask how much of a threat she could possibly be to Redcloak, even with a giant hammer surprise round, and wondering how likely it was that she was even able to hit him with it.

It is still D&D, though. She rolled a 20, or a 19, or whatever she needed. AC's don't get that high, even for clerics using AC boosting spells. A couple of levels of fighter and some cleric levels, then toss in a +5 weapon along with some size bonuses and she could hit even a dragon without a super high roll. She shouldn't be in an extended fight with him because her saves just aren't high enough, but an attack on what is a flat footed opponent for her is easy enough to do. Redcloak is going to survive it easy, but it stopped the spell and that's what Durkon needed to survive.

Besides, it looks cool as poo poo and that's the super important thing for the story.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Your weapons grow with you, and 3.5e has a whole convoluted thing about weapons larger (or smaller) than medium having scaling damage die. So you get the strength bonus, but also your longsword goes from 1d8 to 2d6.

That's only increasing her damage from 4.5 (warhammer) to 9. (not calculating pre-existing strength, feat, or magic bonuses) Yeah, that's doubling it but that's not exactly damage worthy of a 5th level slot. It's barely worth a first level slot, and the damage resistance the spell gives doesn't make up the difference.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

She got big and hit the bad guy so hard. It was cool.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My god the only difference between righteous might and enlarge person is some DR, and that enlarge person lasts much longer.

Why would anyone waste a fifth loving level spell slot on a spell that can be replicated(BETTER) by a 3rd level plus a first level.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Soup du Jour posted:

For some reason I always assumed Thor’s Might was like a 3rd level spell?

Also according to the OotS wiki the current year is just the year according to the calendar not how long the world’s actually existed, although I’m not sure where that info comes from?

No, you are right. I'm not sure where, or why, I was thinking it's only been 1000 years.

in this strip: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1140.html
Thor says they are up to a few thousand years on each world.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The vampire Durkon could also cast it, despite not at all being a cleric of Thor.

Though I guess we don't actually know Durkon's domains. I'd always assumed it was Air/Good, but the Air domain doesn't grant Call Lightning, and neither does any other SRD domain. I guess he's got some kind of homebrew/splatbook Storm domain?

Vampire Durkon called it Hel's Might. So it's likely just renamed Righteous Might.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah. Durkon's line might stick in Redcloak's craw for a while.

I'm pretty sure most of the people who have talked poo poo to Redcloak have gotten one over on him. He just always uses power to reassert his wounded pride whenever that happens.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm surprised Redcloak made the save when Dourkon cast Power Word Kill on him :drat:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm surprised Redcloak made the save when Dourkon cast Power Word Kill on him :drat:

This is bait isn't it?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ikanreed posted:

My god the only difference between righteous might and enlarge person is some DR, and that enlarge person lasts much longer.

Why would anyone waste a fifth loving level spell slot on a spell that can be replicated(BETTER) by a 3rd level plus a first level.

quote:

Enlarge Person

This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8. This increase changes the creature’s size category to the next larger one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size.

A humanoid creature whose size increases to Large has a space of 10 feet and a natural reach of 10 feet. This spell does not change the target’s speed.

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If it fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it— the spell cannot be used to crush a creature by increasing its size.

quote:

Righteous Might

This spell causes you to grow, doubling your height and multiplying your weight by 8. This increase changes your size category to the next larger one, and you gain a +4 size bonus to Strength and a +2 size bonus to Constitution. You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to your natural armor. You gain damage reduction 3/evil (if you normally channel positive energy) or damage reduction 3/good (if you normally channel negative energy). At 12th level this damage reduction becomes 6/evil or 6/good, and at 15th level it becomes 9/evil or 9/good (the maximum). Your size modifier for AC and attacks changes as appropriate to your new size category. This spell doesn’t change your speed. Determine space and reach as appropriate to your new size.

Compared to EP, RM is +2 extra STR, no penalty to Dex or attack rolls, and 3/6/9 damage reduction. Quite a bit better.

RM is also a standard action instead of a full round, and is natively on the Cleric spell list (Enlarge person can only be cast with the Strength domain).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gnoman posted:

Compared to EP, RM is +2 extra STR, no penalty to Dex or attack rolls, and 3/6/9 damage reduction. Quite a bit better.

RM is also a standard action instead of a full round, and is natively on the Cleric spell list (Enlarge person can only be cast with the Strength domain).

RM increases your size category, which reduces your AC and makes it harder for you to hit things. It increases your reach, but also potentially increases the number of squares that can threaten you, all without improving your movement. It's a very mixed bag, and not worth the 5th level slot. It's very in keeping with Skip Williams' tendency to sprinkle gotcha! bad options in the PHB.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 12, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A.o.D. posted:

RM increases your size category, which reduces your AC and makes it harder for you to hit things. It increases your reach, but also potentially increases the number of squares that can threaten you, all without improving your movement. It's a very mixed bag, and not worth the 5th level slot. It's very in keeping with Skip Williams' tendency to sprinkle gotcha! bad options in the PHB.

RM also increases your AC however, (And it makes it easier for you to hit things.)

It also gives you, your level in hp which is nice. It's not a super great spell, but it's a nice buff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

minrah looked at her bracelet and acted accordingly, it's a simple as that

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A.o.D. posted:

Both RM and EP have the same size category increase, with one calling out that it has penal ties. Either RM is not applying size penalties, or EP is addimg additional penaltirs on to of the size ones.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What if Minrah is actually attacking something under Red Cloak.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Had to double-check that I wasn't in TVIV.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ZearothK posted:

What if Minrah is actually attacking something under Red Cloak.

There was a pine sapling poking up through the snow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Johnny Aztec posted:

There was a pine sapling poking up through the snow.

Are trees always evil or just usually? If the latter, it wouldn't be very Lawful Good to kill a sapling...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nilbop posted:

To be fair I think V instantly wins every kill contest, like, forever.

Not for team good...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

Are trees always evil or just usually? If the latter, it wouldn't be very Lawful Good to kill a sapling...

Just usually, we see heroic tree rebels who have died and gotten into Valhalla.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Thor needs to be careful. If the dwarves keep on Believing he hates trees, he’s going to develop an actual hatred of them.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.

habeasdorkus posted:

She's Fighter 5+/Cleric 9+, which actually gives her more hit dice than Durkon apparently has.

Also, Redcloak's homebrew Implosion apparently causes damage even on a successful save.

There's a 'fizzle' sound effect in the last panel, so maybe the spell didn't finish at all and Durkon looking hurt is just something superficial and not real damage?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the dungeons and dragons mechanical bits do not matter

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

violent sex idiot posted:

the dungeons and dragons mechanical bits do not matter

This, this, a thousand times this. The only thing that matters is "Minrah cast a buff spell associated with Thor and attacked Redcloak, thus interrupting his powerful clerical spell". The fact that D&D shorthand are used to signify this doesn't change this.

If we were going purely by D&D rulea Roy, Belkar and Haley would be dead weight, and in all likelihood so would Elan.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Rich doesn't consider himself obligated to 100% stick to the mechanical bits, but it's a lie to say they don't matter, he quite clearly still almost entirely sticks to them.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

and in all likelihood so would Elan.

With a high Charisma + Diplomacy score wouldn't Elan be able to just do a small speech and have kingdoms worth of rabid followers, ready to die for his cause?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Dr Pepper posted:

It was clearly Dominate Person

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Combust, because that was one sick burn.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It's not an amazing spell, but in terms of PHB cleric spells (that aren't domain spells), it's one of their few options for dealing damage at 5th level. It works out at like...9 extra HP, -1 AC, DR 3, +1 to Fort saves, +1 to hit, and +7 damage for your average cleric with a one-handed weapon. Add that together for the duration of a combat, and it's respectable.

Less so if you're also spending standard actions to heal people or cast other spells, though. But if you want to engage in the 3.5e melee combat game, it's solid enough.

Your other options for dealing damage with 5th level spells are, like, Flamestrike and Mass Inflict Light Wounds. Flamestrike deals big damage, but it can hit your allies, while Mass Inflict just does a flat 1d8+9. I guess there's also Summon Monster V? That's probably the right choice, because action economy in 3.5e is broken as hell. But it's not as if Righteous Might is awful.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Your self-buffing melee beatdown spell options start dwindling past level 7 or so as a cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, Minrah has fighter levels, so Righteous Might is probably more effective at magnifying her melee damage than it would be for your average cleric. If she's actually a Fighter 5/Cleric 9 (which seems high?) she has three attacks per round if she's able to sit there and whack at things.