Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

I think this is the case for any high profile player tbh

You're right, Danger did it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/483656/-it-was-never-our-intention-crows-defend-gawn-tactics

lol, this is maybe even more pathetic than what the crows did in the first place

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lynden Dunn may get the chance to get to 200 games after all! :toot:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
No doubt we're being outplayed, but sheesh we'd be a lot closer if the umps actually paid any of the numerous frees they've missed in front of our goal.

Cats can hold on off the ball and take on tacklers without a peep, so bloody frustrating.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
yeah they look absolutely exhausted, uninterested and outplayed and would be getting done anyway, buuuuuuuut gently caress the umpires

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

monolithburger posted:

No doubt we're being outplayed, but sheesh we'd be a lot closer if the umps actually paid any of the numerous frees they've missed in front of our goal.

Cats can hold on off the ball and take on tacklers without a peep, so bloody frustrating.

That holding onto Long in the last few minutes there was just absolutely ridiculous.

Also:
Average Attributes
St Kilda Attribute Geelong
188.0cm Height 188.6cm
85.1kg Weight 89.3kg
24yr 3mth Age 27yr 8mth
67.0 Games 139.1

Total Players By Games
St Kilda Games Geelong
11 Less than 50 4
6 50 to 99 5
3 100 to 149 3
2 150 or more 10

Geelong are just much much older and more experienced which is really telling with this super short turn around. Its just a shame its looking at such a blow out. :(

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

What the hell freo

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/483656/-it-was-never-our-intention-crows-defend-gawn-tactics

lol, this is maybe even more pathetic than what the crows did in the first place

Unrelated, but I like the way that article describes Chayce Jones as a "former first-round pick". Like he's been so disappointing that he's retroactively dropped down the draft order.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

Unrelated, but I like the way that article describes Chayce Jones as a "former first-round pick". Like he's been so disappointing that he's retroactively dropped down the draft order.

Yeah it’s like when they describe anyone other than Jobe Watson as a former Brownlow medallist

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol if you didn't tip Freo over the Hawks

also:

"the AFL is not expected to clarify the rule, believing its recent interpretation tweaks are working well."

Social Media: :blastu:
Me: :suicide:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I mean, they're working perfectly when you realise the objective was to overcorrect to such a degree that no coach in the future dares to question umpiring decisions again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LMAO Collingwood brought their own umpires and they're still behind, took a non paid deliberate, a dodgy free kick, and two fictional fifties just to get goal number 2

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
https://twitter.com/tommorris32/status/1293071992950685697

If you needed further proof that footy media is a giant garbage fire, here you have it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

monolithburger posted:

https://twitter.com/tommorris32/status/1293071992950685697

If you needed further proof that footy media is a giant garbage fire, here you have it.

This is literally "I can call black people n*ggers. I have a black friend and he says it's OK. Or at least he hasn't told me not to." Which is a bullshit excuse.

In real life I have met someone who has used that excuse verbatim, and it was horseshit then, and it's horseshit when Eddie Mcguire and his mates in the media use it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is literally "I can call black people n*ggers. I have a black friend and he says it's OK. Or at least he hasn't told me not to." Which is a bullshit excuse.

In real life I have met someone who has used that excuse verbatim, and it was horseshit then, and it's horseshit when Eddie Mcguire and his mates in the media use it.

Well not to mention the fact that he’s run the story without any comment from Lumumba, or even a comment from Pendlebury

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sounds like Eddie put out a presser on the hush hush.

Also Adelaide, please don't fade for the 4th quarter, now if ever is the time to pull it through!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I said don't fade Adelaide

e: ah well, can't expect too much from a dumpster fire I guess

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 11, 2020

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We have the worst fitness coach in the league, Burton brought him over from Brisbane when their fitness was a hamstring dumpster fire but for some reason we won't get rid of him. The team has been gassed by the third every game.

He and Burton hosed up KangaTech so badly we had to pay the inventor to be an in house consultant just to get it through their thick skulls how badly.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 11, 2020

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I keep reading the thread title as ‘The excrement is becoming contagious’ and I am consistently disappointed when a second glance shows it hasn’t been changed

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

gay picnic defence posted:

I keep reading the thread title as ‘The excrement is becoming contagious’ and I am consistently disappointed when a second glance shows it hasn’t been changed

The excrement that is poor umpiring in 2020 really is contagious though. It’s getting worse and worse and transmitting to more and more umpires.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

The excrement that is poor umpiring in 2020 really is contagious though. It’s getting worse and worse and transmitting to more and more umpires.

:chanpop:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
gently caress me that down field free "push" they just gave Essendon was pathetic. Whats the point in watching this poo poo anymore?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Meanwhile,

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/11/has-the-holding-the-ball-change-improved-the-game/

quote:

Despite clear frustration from all three sectors of the game – four if you include fans – the AFL is reportedly happy with the way the adjudication is being officiated according to a Fox Footy report. Former AFL umpires boss Wayne Campbell believes the rule change has indeed had a positive impact on the quality of football.

“I think that’s pretty obvious isn’t it? We discussed that last week,” Campbell told SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“To my eye, it’s a better game now than what it was five weeks ago. It’s more open.

“Players are not catching the ball, they are trying to get rid of it at every possible opportunity and there’s still the (Sam Petrevski-Seton) ones where he can’t get rid of it.

“It’s just a better game to the eye … did we get to this result through the right mechanism, I don’t know. Has it added confusion to holding the ball? Absolutely."

So in Conclusion, Wayne Campbell is a massive contradictory moron.

The very nature of paying a free stops the game in it's tracks and delays any further action and impedes movement of the ball. Throw in the inability of the umpires to even call this correctly 99% of the time and I fail to see how this "Frees up" the game - cus all it has done is slow it the gently caress down with free kicks literally every 20 seconds for absolutely loving nothing.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 12, 2020

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol this is gonna be a draw

e: lol Zaharakis did an injury kicking the tying goal

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Massive mark from King
aaaand a point, the draw is ON

Rankine hosed that up, enter inside 50 and get a point.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 12, 2020

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I flicked back a couple pages and didn't see it so maybe it's actually an old story - has that video of the women's AFL team secretly learning their team song in AUSLAN so they could surprise their deaf teammate with it been posted?

Edit: gently caress it, watch it again, it's good for you: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-10/qaflw-team-secretly-learns-to-sign-clubs-song-in-auslan/12541738

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Only took 123 years but a draw has taken place ob every day of the week.

https://twitter.com/js_kay/status/1293511351508193281?s=19

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

drunkill posted:

Only took 123 years but a draw has taken place ob every day of the week.

https://twitter.com/js_kay/status/1293511351508193281?s=19

nice

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I feel like this match must be a nightmare for anyone who's colour blind

e: GWS are loving garbage

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 13, 2020

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This just in: Port not that good and are the new Flat Track bullies.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 14, 2020

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon I'm done with footy

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Newnes

Oh my god

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I legit have no idea what the last free kick was for

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Just saw it, jfc it was dog poo poo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/chefryan1985/status/1294613520345047041?s=21

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I know how absolutely dogshit the umpiring is, but got the discourse around it on social media is so tiring. It doesn't matter how poo poo the decision is, if it benefits your team you apparently have to defend it to the death while pointing out any micro-mistakes that went against your team. Then you gotta cry the next week that there is a conspiracy against your team if a decision goes against you. There's so much focus on it ... it reminds me of kids on the playground all appealing to the teacher why they should get a go with the toy. "You got a free earlier, its not fair, we should get a free now!!"

Its not about how bad the umpiring is, we know that, its just the blatant bias in the arguments of it. I saw it last week when we lost to GWS. Bomber fans crying "Ward shouldn't have got the free, if he didn't get the free then Saad's goal would have won the game!" Yeah, Ward *probably* milked it, maybe it wasn't a free. I don't know. But had it not been paid then the circumstances that lead to Saad's goal would not have happened and Essendon could have lost by an extra 6 points for all we know. The biased arguing has always been there, but maybe because the umpiring is getting worse it's just highlighting it more. Its easier not to hold your team accountable when you can just blame the umps for "not giving you a fair go".

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

I legit have no idea what the last free kick was for

Brayshaw ran through Docherty and flattened him front on just after the kick, off the ball.

That is a wikipedia screenshot. Here are the actual rules

The umpire did gently caress up though, free kick after the siren should have gone to Gibbons, not Newnes.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 15, 2020

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nunnes definitely shouldn’t have been given the footy, but you’re not going to change my mind on the smoother attempt being a down field free kick, the contact wasn’t heavy or high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It literally knocked a person over, it wasn't a smother because he missed the ball, he pushed docherty over with two arms out into the chest.