Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It might be better for the artist's career if she didn't take over writing, even if she is a good writer herself. Unless a work already had a bunch of collaborators writing for it, replacing an author for a work rarely turns out well. Hopefully, she'll get another good opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It sucks. Act-Age was good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Act-Age is officially cancelled. Condolences to the artist.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/me-and-roboco-chapter-5/chapter/21027?action=read

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That entire sequence is amazing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I'm glad Roboco got back to normal.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Roboco gets better every month, hot drat. This is the most I've audibly laughed at a single manga chapter in quite a while.

Agravity Boys is good, I laughed at HB's "here's a space stag beetle, I'm sure you guys can have some zany fun with this!" - the Top Tank gag was great too. Also funny that it seems to be poking fun at itself about the possibility of being canceled, since it seems to not be doing great?

Ghostwriter definitely feels like it's headed towards cancelation, feels like we got an entire arc's worth of exposition in a single chapter. I was actually thinking this may have been the finale. It's a shame that this series is so rushed, because I feel like if it was taking its time and had a likable cast it could be really good, the whole concept of the story being someone trying to prevent Aino's death is really cool! Too bad this is all we got.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

This was amazing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mulderman posted:

This was amazing.

The follow-up gag about Ayakashi Triangle was great too. This whole chapter was great!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Roboco gets better every month, hot drat. This is the most I've audibly laughed at a single manga chapter in quite a while.

Agravity Boys is good, I laughed at HB's "here's a space stag beetle, I'm sure you guys can have some zany fun with this!" - the Top Tank gag was great too. Also funny that it seems to be poking fun at itself about the possibility of being canceled, since it seems to not be doing great?

Ghostwriter definitely feels like it's headed towards cancelation, feels like we got an entire arc's worth of exposition in a single chapter. I was actually thinking this may have been the finale. It's a shame that this series is so rushed, because I feel like if it was taking its time and had a likable cast it could be really good, the whole concept of the story being someone trying to prevent Aino's death is really cool! Too bad this is all we got.

I don't think Ghostwriter or any of these series are gonna get canceled anytime soon.There have been so many series that ended/got canceled this year. I don't think Jump has the bandwidth. Especially since WNL probably will end this year as well.

Also my first thought when reading it was that Ghostwriter is getting a soft reboot, it's got at least 6-8 more chapters before the usual 18/19/20 cancellation wall.

My first hunch is that he is being moved to the timeline(w his memories so far) where his oneshot got into jump, and she submitted after seeing it, and they are changing the scenario from beat her and crush her dream, to help her achieve her dream but not self destruct as a result of it. Or something like that. It wouldn't be surprising if the scenario from the start of the series was reversed, where she gets into jump, and he becomes her assistant.

At least that's probably how I would go about it, it even works with the fiction of the series so far about dude being a decent artist and storyboard person, but just didn't have a spark, with any of his works.

It was a really self-aware touch to frame him as her villain in this story so far though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I never thought we'd see the Higher Being so sad again but Agravity Boys delivers.

newershadow
May 18, 2014

Dexo posted:

I don't think Ghostwriter or any of these series are gonna get canceled anytime soon.There have been so many series that ended/got canceled this year. I don't think Jump has the bandwidth. Especially since WNL probably will end this year as well.

Also my first thought when reading it was that Ghostwriter is getting a soft reboot, it's got at least 6-8 more chapters before the usual 18/19/20 cancellation wall.

For what it’s worth, there are 3 new series starting up soon in Jump, starting in 2 issues, after Burn the Witch starts its limited run next issue. Mitama Security ended this issue and it’s looking like Bone Collection could end next issue (and I saw there was something with mangaplus that correlates with this?). That leaves one more series that might be on the way out, since this was scheduled before Act-Age unfortunately self-destructed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

newershadow posted:

it’s looking like Bone Collection could end next issue (and I saw there was something with mangaplus that correlates with this?)

Awww goddamnit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mashle is very stupid and i love it

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jose posted:

mashle is very stupid and i love it

Yet I find this really well done as well. While the Mangaka tends to keep things simple, he can really bust out some killer art for good moments. Like the kick.

Also hurray, I'm free from Ayakashi.

Roboco was really good again. Mom is a little threatening.
Gachgorilla may have a thing for Roboco.

I wish Undead Umluck would just become permanent battle Manga, this battle is pretty fun and inventive. But I just hate the mains

Haven't read the rest yet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We Never Learn has started the Senpai chapter and I'm here for it. It looks like it'll be super fun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Was thinking the same thing, the pace just moved way up recently. I was enjoying it, too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well this is the first recent Juju chapter that I dont really agree with?
Its a strange shift of momentum is all I can say about it, and has really jumbled up the flow it was having of everything going to absolute poo poo for everyone.
Now its feeling like this fight will push Sukuna back into his cage.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Mikl posted:

We Never Learn has started the Senpai chapter and I'm here for it. It looks like it'll be super fun.

Using the post-college timeskip I was expecting for the sensei chapters, too, which makes me wonder how THAT relationship's gonna play out now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

newershadow posted:

For what it’s worth, there are 3 new series starting up soon in Jump, starting in 2 issues, after Burn the Witch starts its limited run next issue. Mitama Security ended this issue and it’s looking like Bone Collection could end next issue (and I saw there was something with mangaplus that correlates with this?). That leaves one more series that might be on the way out, since this was scheduled before Act-Age unfortunately self-destructed.

Yeah when that Kyubi showed up, killed everyone and Paira and Kazqmi suddenly unlocked ultimate power it felt like an axe looming.
And these last eps really felt like it
I'm not sure how I feel about it, it's been hitting it's stride lately and been pretty funny. But it's pretty generic and I can't make heads nor tails of the messy art.

And I say generic, but that bone wedding was fantastic.

Agravity Boys redeemed itself from the lackluster previous episodes, as always. I love that you can indeed spot Geralt change his glasses

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Mirage posted:

Using the post-college timeskip I was expecting for the sensei chapters, too, which makes me wonder how THAT relationship's gonna play out now.
It’s going to go all in on that chapter where Nariyuki had a “dream” he went to a theme park with younger Kirisu and it’s going to be about him being sent back in time and dating her when they’re both the same age.

Ogata’s chapters prominently featured a ghost so there is a non-zero chance of this happening.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah when that Kyubi showed up, killed everyone and Paira and Kazqmi suddenly unlocked ultimate power it felt like an axe looming.
And these last eps really felt like it
I'm not sure how I feel about it, it's been hitting it's stride lately and been pretty funny. But it's pretty generic and I can't make heads nor tails of the messy art.

And I say generic, but that bone wedding was fantastic.

Yeah Bone Wedding and Bone Motorcycle were both hilarious, and Bone Vacuum was funny too. I'll be sad if it's dying, cus I love the idea of it doing more dumbass bullshit like this in the future.

Sad about Mitama though, not my favorite gag manga but it was always very charming and pure, good for a pick-me-up when feeling down.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 11, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Yeah Bone Wedding and Bone Motorcycle were both hilarious, and Bone Vacuum was funny too. I'll be sad if it's dying, cus I love the idea of it doing more dumbass bullshit like this in the future.

Sad about Mitama though, not my favorite gag manga but it was always very charming and pure, good for a pick-me-up when feeling down.

How could I forget Bone Dyson. "Just throw the filter out the window!"
Stuff like that will make me miss bone collection

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 6 of Monster #8 came out in Manga PLUS today, and chapter 7 gets loaded tomorrow but I went ahead and un-favorited because it has already become so incredibly generic.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well this is the first recent Juju chapter that I dont really agree with?
Its a strange shift of momentum is all I can say about it, and has really jumbled up the flow it was having of everything going to absolute poo poo for everyone.
Now its feeling like this fight will push Sukuna back into his cage.
I see it more as a way to continue to demonstrate Sukuna's curse technique without any presumption of Honor like he had with Jogo. Because I do not see someone like Sukuna being thwarted by just a normal 1st class/Special grade curse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

I see it more as a way to continue to demonstrate Sukuna's curse technique without any presumption of Honor like he had with Jogo. Because I do not see someone like Sukuna being thwarted by just a normal 1st class/Special grade curse.

Nah this is a huge one. Its the Shikigami that killed a head of the Gojo, who had the same powers as Satoru.
True this is a time for Sukuna to flex on a fool (didnt he just do that by killing a volcano spirit with fire?) but im not sure if this will extend to this.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Having read the new chapter, I'm glad this mess of a series is heading to a cancellation. Instead of trying to focus on making a fun and good story about manga, it just kept adding more and more poo poo in a desperate move to make us like the MC, to the point of changing some lines in the tankobon release. It makes the mysterious voice trying to claim the MC is the villain of Aino's story kind of insincere.

What I hate about this chapter is despite claiming that this is supposed to be about saving Aino, the exposition sure liked to pin all the blame on her. "Oh, she's so focused on her dream. She's so self-destructive. She can't be reasoned with at all. I'm not gonna show you my attempts to stop her, so just take my word for it that she keeps killing herself." Note that when the exposition bot listed what it did to prevent Aino's death, the very first thing it said was that it had her committed for her own good. :wtc:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nah this is a huge one. Its the Shikigami that killed a head of the Gojo, who had the same powers as Satoru.
True this is a time for Sukuna to flex on a fool (didnt he just do that by killing a volcano spirit with fire?) but im not sure if this will extend to this.

I actually missed that Megumi surmised that the former head pulled the same sort of Kamikazee ritual to kill the Gojo head. But that also makes me think Sukuna will win even more because the current Gojo himself is inarguably stronger than his ancestor so Sukuna defeating what the former Zen'nin and Gojo heads could not together is just good hype material for the actual clash of the titans.

Also, these universal bindings and contracts are great because you can literally not die if the terms are in your favor. Not like Megumi was actually planning on this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ever since Sukuna hinted at Megumi's potential and has constantly gone out of his way to keep Megumi alive, I've been wondering if he somehow planned to bring himself back using Megumi's power as a medium, and the reveal that you can summon things that aren't under your control like Megumi did in this chapter makes me wonder if there is a chance of that happening.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

amigolupus posted:

Having read the new chapter, I'm glad this mess of a series is heading to a cancellation. Instead of trying to focus on making a fun and good story about manga, it just kept adding more and more poo poo in a desperate move to make us like the MC, to the point of changing some lines in the tankobon release. It makes the mysterious voice trying to claim the MC is the villain of Aino's story kind of insincere.

What I hate about this chapter is despite claiming that this is supposed to be about saving Aino, the exposition sure liked to pin all the blame on her. "Oh, she's so focused on her dream. She's so self-destructive. She can't be reasoned with at all. I'm not gonna show you my attempts to stop her, so just take my word for it that she keeps killing herself." Note that when the exposition bot listed what it did to prevent Aino's death, the very first thing it said was that it had her committed for her own good. :wtc:

I think I understand your read on a critical level, but as far as tone goes, I can't really agree with this take. Killing someone's dreams is kind of the antithesis of the shonen genre. Within the narrative of 'Aino wants to make some fuckin' manga', her pushing past all the obstacles reality and nonsensical time robot throws at her would be blameless. Actually, when the guy gets called the villain, I basically thought 'oh, the author figured out what he's writing after all'. It's just not at all internally consistent with the rest of the manga which I /think/ is trying to have him be the hero who saves the girl, because Aino doesn't need to be saved in this narrative.

edit: while I'm posting anyway, I'm going to drop some other comments - I did not expect We Never Learn to jump straight into the future at least a year out past where the Sekijou arc took place, but I love it

I was completely thrown by Mitama Security ending this issue. I don't remember there being any overarching plot in the first place so I wasn't really expecting anything in particular, but then it just ended.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 13, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Technically beating villains is literally destroying their hopes and dreams.

quote:

O: Hmm! That's a very good question. First, I have to announce that Morgan is still alive. He's currently in jail, where he was placed by his former subordinates. Why doesn't Luffy kill his enemies? Because in that era, everyone uses their lives to fight for their dreams. For an enemy, when their dream has been shattered, it is the same as losing a fight, and as painful as death. I believe, for a pirate not to kill an enemy, it's giving them a 2nd chance to fight for their dreams.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I almost expect We Never Learn to have a Clue-like "But here's how it REALLY went" ending, in which he ends up with someone completely out of left field, like the swimmer Kawase or something. Just infuriate EVERYONE in the fanbase.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mirage posted:

I almost expect We Never Learn to have a Clue-like "But here's how it REALLY went" ending, in which he ends up with someone completely out of left field, like the swimmer Kawase or something. Just infuriate EVERYONE in the fanbase.

If Bokuben is going full VN. If there is not both a hidden Harem ending, and a Bad end, what is even the point.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Mirage posted:

Not gonna lie there is a small part of me hoping that route 5/5 is the teacher’s younger sister.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Not gonna lie there is a small part of me hoping that route 5/5 is the teacher’s younger sister.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Boco_T posted:

Chapter 6 of Monster #8 came out in Manga PLUS today, and chapter 7 gets loaded tomorrow but I went ahead and un-favorited because it has already become so incredibly generic.

Hmm...chapter 7 would not have changed your mind.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I cannot believe you would betray sensei like this

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Route 6/5: harem end with Miharu, Sekijou, the other High Stage maids, Mizumi, Kobayashi, and Asumi's mom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Hmm...chapter 7 would not have changed your mind.

If we're lucky the series will completely ditch any pretense of a secret identity and MC will just be allowed into the corps as a secret weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

oh yeah, there's that lovely claymore monster design. dude's so great at drawing hosed up monsters.