Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That's actually really funny, because it was probably a development mistake.

:shucks: Shadow Pokemon inflict 20% more damage, and receive 20% more.

:eng99: So use the multipliers 6/5 and 4/5?

:downs: No idiot! Use 6/5 and 5/6, because they're backwards.

:science: *fucks up gift sorting somehow*

Sort of glad they did make the mistake because it feels like it'd be too risky to use shadows otherwise, they'd go down too quickly and wouldn't feel worth the massive dust investment it takes to power one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Guess I'm doing well, 22 four * this year

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Parrotine posted:

I broke down and heavily invested in my Shadow Zapdos, good god does this thing hit like a loving truck, even on things that resist it! Paired it with my galarian stunfisk and medicham and we've been keeping the Lavender town morticians busy all season.

Everybody underestimates how hard drill peck hits, thunderbolt's the tactical nuke option when I want something dead.

I gave Shadow Raikou a try with Volt Switch/Wild Charge/Shadow Ball. Holy poo poo, I was not ready for health bars to melt that fast.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Kantesu posted:

Except 5/6 is .8333, which means they take 17% more damage, so you/they were right.
From Bulbapedia's Pokémon GO damage calculation
code:
     Damage = Floor(0.5 * Power * Atk / Def * Bonus_Factor)  + 1

Attack = (Base_Attack + Attack_IV)  * CPM

Defense = (Base_Defense + Defense_IV)  * CPM

Dividing by 5/6 is the same as multiplying by 6/5, which is 120% (so +20%).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I gave Shadow Raikou a try with Volt Switch/Wild Charge/Shadow Ball. Holy poo poo, I was not ready for health bars to melt that fast.

Hmmmm. My shadow Raikou has a decent IV spread for PvP (2/14/11), but would take half my rare candy reserves to power it up and give it the 2nd move...

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Froist posted:

Hmmmm. My shadow Raikou has a decent IV spread for PvP (2/14/11), but would take half my rare candy reserves to power it up and give it the 2nd move...

Make it your Buddy?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I saw someone feature this in a recent video actually! I got one with great IVs for GL too!

But maaaaaaaaaaan does it need an assload of dust and candy to power up, I'm not sure I can do it now that G-Fisk is everywhere but I am so heavily tempted to nuke it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd use it beyond Great League. It took 120 rare candies just to get a second move, and it still dies pretty quickly. Still fun to use, though!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Does anybody else seem to have a permanent daily spawn by them? Day before it was a Treeko with the same CP near me all day, yesterday was a Baltoy, and today it's a Weedle. I can log in hours later and it's still there.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Louisgod posted:

Does anybody else seem to have a permanent daily spawn by them? Day before it was a Treeko with the same CP near me all day, yesterday was a Baltoy, and today it's a Weedle. I can log in hours later and it's still there.

Yes that's a new thing along with the daily free box in the shop. It's a spawn specific to you.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kensei posted:

Yes that's a new thing along with the daily free box in the shop. It's a spawn specific to you.

Cool thanks! I'm so out of the loop with things like this.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Just had a GBL match where the person did their first switch and before the switch animation was even complete they used a shadow punch from Gengar.

:ok:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

My prediction came true, dark typing is completely useless in UL Premier Cup! I'll be picking the Powerball numbers next week, get your pencils ready.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Parrotine posted:

My prediction came true, dark typing is completely useless in UL Premier Cup! I'll be picking the Powerball numbers next week, get your pencils ready.
Alolan Muk walls Gengar, which just came off a Community Day so everyone has one. Focus Blast is not enough to KO Muk, btw.

Honchkrow stops Venusaur (#1 rated in Premier) and can nuke anything else with Brave Bird. You can bait shields by building to BB and throwing Sky Attack instead. (This works with Skarmory in GL)

Obstagoon eats Snorlax, the most popular safe switch. Also has Gunk Shot for fairies.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
These eggs stink, baby jiggleys and wiggleys.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Since people are sharing: I've always had weird video game luck.

How is Ultra Premier treating everyone? I made a recommended team of Gallade, Empoleon, and Gengar and lost 200 ranking points. Now I'm trying a more bulky option of Gallade, Empoleon, and Dragonite and doing OK.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Been on an upward slope running Dragonite, Gengar, Venusaur most of the time. Only one set so far that didn't go positive (also the only set so far that was less than 4 wins). I like it more than open Ultra so far.

Also 17 of my 45 hundos were caught this year. I may have dumped a few at some point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Strangepants posted:

Since people are sharing: I've always had weird video game luck.

your naming scheme gives me anxiety, why would you put mutable move types first and immutable IVs last when you have to delete the entire name to change the listed move type

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Venusaur seems like a must in any premier team. I’ve been having some luck with Gengar too. I decided to spice it up and use a Volt Switch Alolan Golem as my lead. It can do two rock blasts in five fast moves and volt switch hits pretty hard. If I come across a lead swampert I can be in trouble but I just swap to Venusaur. It destroys Gyarados, Charizard, Togekiss, and can hold its own versus Dragonite. Running the meta teams non stop can be boring so it’s fun to throw out some random ‘mon I have that are already close to the CP cap for each league.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Looks like the next community day vote is between Porygon, Caterpie, Grimer and Charmander. Top two get the next two months.

Personally, I’m hoping for Porygon and Caterpie.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
all I want is a dratini redo so I can finally get a goddamn pink noodle

once the dragon event was done, I checked my dex, 2000 checks with no shiny

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
All I want is the next three starters. I have been stockpiling oshawatt, snivy, and tepig this whole time.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

your naming scheme gives me anxiety, why would you put mutable move types first and immutable IVs last when you have to delete the entire name to change the listed move type

I can edit anywhere I want on Android. I do need to clean up my naming convention a little, and I haven't put in the effort to name them all properly yet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mumbling posted:

Looks like the next community day vote is between Porygon, Caterpie, Grimer and Charmander. Top two get the next two months.

Porygon would be cool. If it’s a fan vote I’d assume Charmander is guaranteed a spot and hopefully the second goes to Porygon. A little weird they didn’t include a ghost option for October. Drifblim Day could have been fun.

What I’d really love is a Togepi Community Day but that seems really unlikely.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

God shiny Charizard is one of my white whales, I hope that's one of the days.

So far my team of Shadow Legendary Birds isn't working out too well. They're way too weak, moves take too long too long to charge, and they don't really have great synergy; if the other guy has a strong electric or ground that's pretty much the match over.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Porygon will probably end up first by virtue of:

- It's the only one without its shiny available yet
- It's potentially very interesting for PvP
- Charmander has already had a CDay

Dr Strangepants posted:

I can edit anywhere I want on Android.

This is in fact both platforms as of a few updates ago, so I don't know what Ursine was talking about.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah Porygon is going to run away with this and is already doing so

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Is it so much to ask that a pokemon with a second community day will have BOTH CD charge moves upon evolving, if two charge moves are unlocked?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Kantesu posted:

This is in fact both platforms as of a few updates ago, so I don't know what Ursine was talking about.

Let's be real, CalcyIV and PokeGenie both put the name into your clipboard. We're all doing long press to select all and then paste, no matter what our platforms/apps/conventions are. :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mumbling posted:

Bah! Forget Caterpie! I want Weedle Community Day! I need more candy for this shiny gal!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Bah! Forget Caterpie! I want Weedle Community Day! I need more candy for this shiny gal!

That wasn't even two months ago, man!

Edit: anyway, I don't know what I'm going to do with 17 shiny weedles, but now I have them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kantesu posted:

Porygon will probably end up first by virtue of:

- It's the only one without its shiny available yet
- It's potentially very interesting for PvP
- Charmander has already had a CDay

oh I must have missed that, it was A Thing for so long that I didn't expect them to ever fix or change it

not that I'm going to go back and change any of my naming conventions because of it, but

Unsinkabear posted:

Let's be real, CalcyIV and PokeGenie both put the name into your clipboard. We're all doing long press to select all and then paste, no matter what our platforms/apps/conventions are. :colbert:

imagine being so boug that you've got a phone screen big enough to capture what the moves are in the screenshot

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with any of them, but I seriously want a Seel CD. And a Goldeen.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

all I want is a dratini redo so I can finally get a goddamn pink noodle

once the dragon event was done, I checked my dex, 2000 checks with no shiny

Aww, that sucks. My shiny Dratini was one of the first shinies I got, and I just picked up another during the event that I gave to my wife. Charmander though, I haven't gotten and black Charizard is probably my favorite design.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

To be fair, Charizard with blast burn is a force.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he is a loving beast.

Fun karma: invited a girl to two raids for deoxys. She got a shiny on each. She was invited to another raid and got a 98.

Over 40 raids and no shiny. gently caress you RNG.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, but I didn't have a shiny Weedle then

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Mustached Demon posted:

To be fair, Charizard with blast burn is a force.

There's precedent in previous votes that repeat community days would be a new move instead of the old one (Dragonite and Blastoise, although they both lost). I'm guessing Outrage or Fly for Charizard this time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Since they just threw the best aspect of community day out the window, no longer focusing it on starters and semi-rares, it means that the most recent generation's starters are just gonna be fundamentally weaker and less useful than past generational starters. I think that sucks. I get that not every community day could be gible or litwick or deino or a starter, but it would be nice if SOME still would. That was the coolest part of Gofest, getting to basically feel like I was gonna make at least one really, really good garchomp at the end. Winding up with six to eight Gardevoirs, and a couple Gallades last year in CD was cool as heck. More of that please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't think we're going to go back to the previous version of community day until it's safe to walk around with other people again.