Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fame Douglas posted:

Microsoft Edge is good. It's Chrome, but it has tab mute (which is pretty much the only reason to use it over Chrome). Also, instead of annoying you with Google login prompts, it annoys you with Microsoft account login prompts.

And it has terrible feature creep compared to Chrome, but luckily, those extra features can be ignored. Extensions can be installed directly from the Chrome Web Store (just enable "Allow extensions from other stores" in the bottom left corner of the Extensions window)

I use Edge for Netflix only, since Netflix doesn't stream high quality through Firefox. The little new tab page with your favorite bookmarks will occasionally insert links for Microsoft's "partners," which is advertising I don't think you can turn off. I'm a bit reactionary, but that's a dealbreaker all on its own.

For my part, Firefox is still really good and this announcement sucks but I'm waiting before jumping ship. Mozilla seems like a really poorly run organization if they were hiring 1000 people to do what they've been doing (or I should say what of their products I've been consuming). You can put me in the minority "I would pay a reasonable sum for a good browser divorced from corporate bullshit" camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Klyith posted:

Vivaldi, but I think jumping ship right now is a bit premature. Unless you were already up on the deck looking around for a lifeboat.

Oh for sure. I'm prob anchored to FF until it breathes its last. Mostly just asking out of curiosity since "browser options" seem to boil down 'pick Chrome or FF'.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

I use Edge for Netflix only, since Netflix doesn't stream high quality through Firefox. The little new tab page with your favorite bookmarks will occasionally insert links for Microsoft's "partners," which is advertising I don't think you can turn off. I'm a bit reactionary, but that's a dealbreaker all on its own.

I have never seen this, but maybe they just don't have any ads in my region. Do you have "Content" set to "off" in the Custom New Tab settings?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is definitely the wrong place to ask, but the thread is talking about the way Google and Firefox are drifting which is causing me to think seriously about Apple. I have literally never owned a single Apple product in my life. The closest I have been so far was almost winning an iPod Nano in a quiz, but I couldn't remember who wrote Heart of Darkness so I got an insulated shoulder bag for wine picnics instead. Should I keep considering it? Can you block ads on iPhones?

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 12, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I could survive switching to another browser at this point. The main modifications I use are uBlock origin, disabling close tab buttons, and moving as many buttons as I can to the left side.

I really miss having middle clicks on the new tab button reopen closed tabs, but I haven't been able to do that for years. :smith:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At least Ctrl-Shift-T makes some sort of sense as a modification of Ctrl-T.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

doctorfrog posted:

Seconding that I've never seen this. Make sure you set your New Tab layout to custom and turn content off. And even then if it's that much of a dealbreaker, it's easy enough to install an extension that replaces the New Tab page with something else to your liking.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ola posted:

Can you block ads on iPhones?
Shittily. Ublock isn't on iOS, the best you can get is Adblock and IIRC it's a crappy version with no user-defined rules.

I can't stand iOS and other apple stuff so I can't give an unbiased opinion. But at least they put a much higher price on personal data and your eyeballs than other companies. So if privacy stuff is your big bugbear, they've got some good points. (OTOH it's also a company that does all it can to lock you into their own ecosystem and make the path of least resistance "keep buying apple stuff".)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apple is also a company that sells ads, which is why they default to opt-in for their own ad network and use much more soft language to describe their own toggle compared to the language third-party developers have to use.

Also, Safari adblockers are all very limited due to the way they handle filter lists (basically the same way people were in an uproar about Chrome moving to recently). There are also no third-party browsing engines allowed on Iphones, which means all browsers share this limitation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Klyith posted:

Shittily. Ublock isn't on iOS, the best you can get is Adblock and IIRC it's a crappy version with no user-defined rules.

Dammit. I use/abuse it all the time to zap lovely things that aren't ads as well.

Klyith posted:

So if privacy stuff is your big bugbear, they've got some good points. (OTOH it's also a company that does all it can to lock you into their own ecosystem and make the path of least resistance "keep buying apple stuff".)

Privacy isn't really my #1, I'm not sure what it is. I'm willing to give up plenty of personal info so long as there is some gain in it for me. Having Facebook is zero value, but getting paid real money is. What started me on ad blocking, after loads of people had told me for ages, was lovely flash ads crashing my browser. Once I started using it I was amazed how much faster everything was. I think my stance is you can't poo poo directly in my face, but I'll let you film me pooping if you pay me.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

The best you can get is Adblock? There's a bunch of great ones.
1Blocker which is fantastic and absolutely has user-defined rules and there's Wipr that's set it and forget.
Adblock is probably among the worse content blockers on iOS.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'll also recommend 1Blocker for iOS.

I remember Bear Blocker being good as well.

Does only Firefox support add-ons in it's Android app? I know Chrome doesn't. I've unfamiliar with the other browsers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Does only Firefox support add-ons in it's Android app? I know Chrome doesn't. I've unfamiliar with the other browsers.

Firefox' add-on support is currently kinda in limbo. If you're still on the old branch you can run almost any add-on. If you're already on the new branch you can run a microscopic handful (including uBlock Origin). Supposedly they'd enable other add-ons later on, but that always sounded extremely sketchy to me* and recent events don't inspire confidence.

For Android there's also Samsung Internet Browser, which is Chromium based but allows ad blockers through external apps. There's no uBlock Origin port as far as I know, but Adblock Plus is available as a last resort type of deal. It has poo poo all for configurability, though.

Maybe Edge for Android will start supporting add-ons some day? Last time I checked was maybe a year+ ago.

*Like how they were gonna fix the insane wasted space in the desktop Add-ons page.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lightningproof posted:

So uh, if Firefox is gently drifting into an iceberg, anyone have positive experiences with any alternatives (inb4 obligatory "Chrome" gag)?

If I had to switch my "daily driver" browser today (edit: and if all the Firefox derivatives like palemoon or waterfox were doomed to go down with the same ship), I'd probably end up on Chromium. At least it shoves less Google branding in your face than Chrome does.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

101 posted:

The best you can get is Adblock? There's a bunch of great ones.
1Blocker which is fantastic and absolutely has user-defined rules and there's Wipr that's set it and forget.
Adblock is probably among the worse content blockers on iOS.

They're all exactly the same, simple filter lists that are loaded into Safari. Apple doesn't allow more advanced adblocking techniques, doesn't matter what adblocking app you use.

The perceived differences are simply down to different filter lists (but they all use the same few filters, anyways)

OhFunny posted:

I'll also recommend 1Blocker for iOS.

I remember Bear Blocker being good as well.

No, it can't support add ons on Ios. Apple doesn't allow different rendering engines on their platform. They're all Safari wrappers, and thus limited to Safari adblocking.

Geemer posted:

Maybe Edge for Android will start supporting add-ons some day? Last time I checked was maybe a year+ ago.

Edge on Android has Adblock Plus built-in

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 13, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A big reason why I switched from Chrome to Firefox in the first place was because I read a piece about how Chrome was eventually going to change how it allows adblocking to no longer work (or not work as well as it does) with consumer-level browsers, which sort of makes sense if you're Google and adblocking is cutting into your own business.

Is the spectre of that still looking over Chrome? Would that also apply to anything else based on Chrome (Chromium?)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There's no need to panic at this point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What about Brave as an alternative? It blocks ads on iOS and Android quite nicely. Not overly configurable though

Vivaldi is very good. I switched to it from Firefox for about a year before Quantum was released as Firefox had become unbearably slow and janky.

Remember the EU browser ballet screen?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fame Douglas posted:

I have never seen this, but maybe they just don't have any ads in my region. Do you have "Content" set to "off" in the Custom New Tab settings?

I’m probably out of date, the option for me is Top Sites, Top Sites and Suggested Content, and A blank page. I’ve had “Top Sites” selected since starting to use it. Haven’t seen an ad tile for about a month, though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the spectre of that still looking over Chrome? Would that also apply to anything else based on Chrome (Chromium?)

The spectre is still hanging around, but it may be some time before it happens.

If it happens it will likely include Chromium, at least the official Chromium.org version, since that's still run by google. Other chromium-based browsers have said they'll keep old blocking working (vivaldi, opera, brave) or haven't said one way or another (edge).

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What about Brave as an alternative? It blocks ads on iOS and Android quite nicely. Not overly configurable though

Is run by cryptocurrency weirdos who have done some incredibly boneheaded and questionable things. Well before the cryptocurrency their "donation" scheme was enough to make me stay the hell away from them forever. Because that was some grifter poo poo. Even if the software itself is fine right now, sooner or later grifters gonna grift.

Vivaldi also has a very good privacy policy and isn't run by fuckheads.

edit: OTOH Brave's grift being a direct copy of a classic ideas-guy terrible D&D thread gives me the opportunity to link the Cefte story

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 13, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While Brave does have the cryptocurrency weirdness to it, it does allow background playback on Android - which is why I use it from time to time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

I’m probably out of date, the option for me is Top Sites, Top Sites and Suggested Content, and A blank page. I’ve had “Top Sites” selected since starting to use it. Haven’t seen an ad tile for about a month, though.

This is what I'm looking at:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Vivaldi is windows only, so worthless for me.

Chromium seems viable, but has no stable version or update release system. You’re either using nightly builds which you manually upgrade often or some random version that got packaged up.

And it has the same downsides as Chrome in the most part.

Firefox isn’t going to disappear.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

wooger posted:

Chromium seems viable, but has no stable version or update release system. You’re either using nightly builds which you manually upgrade often or some random version that got packaged up.

And it has the same downsides as Chrome in the most part.

Firefox isn’t going to disappear.

Vivaldi is on Mac at least. I have it installed on my MBA.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's available for the big Linux distributions like Ubuntu or Fedora, too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can't speak for Firefox, but ultimately it's structured in a way that's not too dissimilar to FreeBSD:
There's a project called Firefox which is the opensource code
There's a community which is called Firefox, and from which code is constantly submitted irrespective of either the Foundation or Corporation (FreeBSD doesn't have the latter)
There is a Foundation which has a wholly-owned subsidiary corporation, and both of those exist to support the project and the community.

With FreeBSD, I feel fairly sure that if the Foundation were to up and disappear right now (I don't believe this would happen, nor do I want it to), there would still be a FreeBSD project and community that would keep working on it - and I wager this is true of Firefox too.

Honestly, the biggest problem is probably going to be with trademarks and such - since both foundations hold those for their respective projects and communities.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Chrome is changing how adblocking works to be similar to Safari, but they claim they will allow extensions to add URLs at runtime, and they will allow enough entries to support uBlock Origin. However, there won’t be enough to run it at the same time as other extensions that would need the blocklist, like HTTPS Everywhere.

This also does poo poo all for mobile users, where your options are Firefox on Android, VPN into a PiHole with no dynamic blocking, a third-party browser frontend that probably has outdated filter lists that don’t work any better than a PiHole, or Safari’s extremely gimped implementation that works worse than a PiHole.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The hypocrisy flowing from that person's post. This is the CEO of the company blaming COVID and racism for a truckload of bad decisions. The same CEO of Mozilla Corporation and Chairwoman of Mozilla Foundation who alone earned a total compensation of $2,458,350 on a $436 million company revenue on 2018, or half a percent of the company's revenue! Her salary went up while Firefox market share went down!

This person is now firing people who did important work like MDN and Servo, firing them for her bad decisions, and is not going to even take a single pay cut. Nor will her fellow executives, like this fellow she hired (who only worked for 6 months) and earned a whooping $1.2M in 2017!

Why is no one covering this bullshit in the press? Why is there no pressure for her resignation? This ball of corruption is ruining nearly two decades of good will towards Mozilla and destroying the only remaining alternative in the browser space. At a time that Google continues to take over more and more of the free web and imposing their own standards like AMP and "HTTP" 3, this is the worst possible moment to have this poo poo go down.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

The hypocrisy flowing from that person's post. This is the CEO of the company blaming COVID and racism for a truckload of bad decisions. The same CEO of Mozilla Corporation and Chairwoman of Mozilla Foundation who alone earned a total compensation of $2,458,350 on a $436 million company revenue on 2018, or half a percent of the company's revenue! Her salary went up while Firefox market share went down!

This person is now firing people who did important work like MDN and Servo, firing them for her bad decisions, and is not going to even take a single pay cut. Nor will her fellow executives, like this fellow she hired (who only worked for 6 months) and earned a whooping $1.2M in 2017!

Why is no one covering this bullshit in the press? Why is there no pressure for her resignation? This ball of corruption is ruining nearly two decades of good will towards Mozilla and destroying the only remaining alternative in the browser space. At a time that Google continues to take over more and more of the free web and imposing their own standards like AMP and "HTTP" 3, this is the worst possible moment to have this poo poo go down.
:iiam: to me too.
I wish I knew someone who could run with a story like this, but I really don't and it's a loving pity because I'll be left without a browser if Firefox goes tits-up, as I refuse to run Webkit/Blink browsers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wooger posted:

Inceltown posted:

Vivaldi is on Mac at least. I have it installed on my MBA.

Kassad posted:

It's available for the big Linux distributions like Ubuntu or Fedora, too.

Therefore, by process of elimination, we conclude that wooger is running Haiku.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
From that corporate statement

quote:

New focus on technology. Mozilla is a technical powerhouse of the internet activist movement. And we must stay that way. We must provide leadership, test out products, and draw businesses into areas that aren’t traditional web technology. The internet is the platform now with ubiquitous web technologies built into it, but vast new areas are developing (like Wasmtime and the Bytecode Alliance vision of nanoprocesses). Our vision and abilities should play in those areas too.
Also
https://twitter.com/tschneidereit/status/1293868141953667074

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lol they're totally switching to blink, firing the rust team is taking away one of the only technical advantages they had over chrome

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mozzarella has a new default search engine deal in place with Google: https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2020/08/13/mozilla-extends-critical-firefox-search-deal-with-google/#462887ca6ea2

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So is Edge chrome without google mining all your data or is it just chrome with microsoft AND google mining all your data?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Pretty sure no Google, just Microsoft mining your data!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's Chrome but with Microsoft mining your data, tons of attempts at getting you to use Bing and more and more extra features with every version no one cares about.

But it has tab mute.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Funny how as soon as I even consider using it, I wake up the next day to a full screen "we've updated edge click here to get started" with edge shortcuts now on my desktop and in my start drawer, which brought me firmly back to a "go gently caress yourself edge" state of mind.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Edge is probably the best browser made to date for the very large demographic of "people who don't know anything or give two shits about computers"

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Edge is probably the best browser made to date for the very large demographic of "people who don't know anything or give two shits about computers"

haha I thought that was chrome, I guess since they're the same browser now. I really don't want to use either but if firefox implodes.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Those people still stubbornly stick to IE and even then they eventually migrate over to Chrome.

I think i’m the only one in our org who uses Firefox..