Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Bud's eyes are like that when she's transformed because her eyes turn into the funnels she shoots her lasers from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
This also all means that since Harley's theme is black, that is why she appears to have really large toon pupils. In live-action she would also look rather odd.

M-Gs are all kind of terrifying

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Twibbit posted:

irisless pupils are kinda creepy

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Bud’s eyes are like that because she’s related to Sans Undertale. She’ll only get a blue pupil when going into rage mode and/or tumblr fanart.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mikl posted:

Bud's eyes are like that when she's transformed because her eyes turn into the funnels she shoots her lasers from.

I suspected this, but was it confirmed in paratext somewhere?

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Mostly baseless theory: Bud's eyes are drawn that way because she doesn't use them, she's blind. Her powers are plant based and she can 'see' and possibly hear through any kind of plant or flower nearby, including her petal-like hair.

This is both why her accuracy sucks and how she gets her gossip despite hanging out with Harley all the time.

It does hinge on the concept of low-level always-on powers being a thing, which iirc we've only seen as an alt-text joke.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I totally forgot about Rue's eys. My whole world is a lie!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Harley has similarly irisless eyes! They both have very dark colours so I think they're just basically black and drawn that way to not look too cute (which wouldn't fit either of their aesthetics).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-02

Cat crimes

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
“Shut up brain” is way, way too real.

Love the Team Forte poster in the background.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

HP's pose in panel 3 is so ridiculous. What a great dork.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Kennel posted:

Anyway...

This is really cute, Kennel if you'd like it as a freebie please let me know-- if not, first to ask gets it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

How Wonderful! posted:

This is really cute, Kennel if you'd like it as a freebie please let me know-- if not, first to ask gets it.

I'm happy with Groke, thanks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'll take the freebie in that case, I'd rather have my avatar be a monument to impossibly cute magical girl comics than Severe Brain Spiders Red Text. :v:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'll take the freebie in that case, I'd rather have my avatar be a monument to impossibly cute magical girl comics than Severe Brain Spiders Red Text. :v:

Ok great, I'll get it queued and let me know what you'd like for text!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

How Wonderful! posted:

Ok great, I'll get it queued and let me know what you'd like for text!

"Right in the kokoro"

Some kind of dumb kokoro joke seems necessary.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
LOL, that was gloriously mean to the reader, and especially funny here given that “Undine was dreaming” edit that got posted. It’s obvious these two are going to be amusingly awkward at school, though I suspect Cassidy being “missing” will overshadow that ASAP.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
There’s a restaurant near my place of work called Kokoro Maki House and it makes me smile every time I drive by it lol

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

MadDogMike posted:

LOL, that was gloriously mean to the reader, and especially funny here given that “Undine was dreaming” edit that got posted. It’s obvious these two are going to be amusingly awkward at school, though I suspect Cassidy being “missing” will overshadow that ASAP.

I imagine the rest of Team Flash will probably be asking about her.

Which is an interesting question of itself - Was there a reason, besides her anger at getting called out over Undine, that she wasn't with Team Flash on that fateful night?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

maltesh posted:

I imagine the rest of Team Flash will probably be asking about her.

Which is an interesting question of itself - Was there a reason, besides her anger at getting called out over Undine, that she wasn't with Team Flash on that fateful night?

From how much she emphasized the importance of the club to her one gets the feeling she didn't get along with her team at all* so being in a bad mood probably made an easy excuse to ditch this night. Probably a "well THEY dont care either so who cares about them" type thing

*And at least on one of them, that feeling seemed mutual judging by the sarcasm dripping from "her special cool kids club"

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know this thread existed! I was about to make one.

It's been like a month since she died and I'm still baffled Cassidy's mahou name wasn't Orange Slice.

Kennel posted:

Anyway...

Hey Undies is this you

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

We have a title page!

"Ripples" could mean consequences of what has happened so far, such as with Cassidy, or perhaps the initial signs of big trouble to come...

Hopefully we get some more cute Undine and Kokoro scenes first though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I could see this mostly being a fluffy chapter that ends with the "hey, cassidy [and some other girls maybe] is totally missing and considered dead" stinger that gets undine & HP to tell the rest of the club

which they were going to do anyway but this is more dramatic

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Love the title page, that's definitely not ominous at all.

Also, the Fan Poll page made me realize (belatedly, cause she real dead :rip:) that Cassidy, the Scissors MG, has a bowl cut. Just yet another reminder that Mary Cagle is Very Good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

This is setting up to be a good chapter, I can't wait to see how it goes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I see Undine is experiencing the effect where when you buy a new car you suddenly see that car everywhere on the road.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Girls kissing girls...

(Avatar sized, but if anyone would like to buy this, reminder that Lowtax still gets the monies from all forum purchases, so think before you buy.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Why yes, we're still accepting new members. In fact there's just been an opening!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like it was a rough night for everyone too, a couple of those background characters are sporting some scratches.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Seeing Frost and Flame together gives me the warm fuzzies :3:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I love how thoroughly acceptable queerness is in this universe. Gay ladies are doing cheesy commercials, nobody's said a word against Zoe (I love that we still don't know her deadname and I don't think we ever will), Gwen was stone butch as gently caress and it only made her popular, and Undine being attracted to girls is so normal and reasonable that it wasn't worth mentioning until it became relevant.

And the main character is a black kid. So's Rue, and Rue has a different background and personality. Rue is also the poo poo, by the way. Fuckin' love the Rue/Zoe team.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
When the magical force that protects you from terror-beasts only manifests in young women, and continues to manifest in them regardless of ethnicity, sexuality or gender-at-birth it's hard to claim god doesn't like them.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

If Rue and Zoe started dating, they would be the third interracial lesbian couple.

I am curious about whether or not male homosexuality or trans men are treated with the same equanimity. I assume yes because the author probably just wants to portray a more ideal world in terms of gender and sexual equality. It's a solid choice when gender and sexuality aren't really what your story is about.

But it could certainly be that trans women and lesbians are treated well because young women are the ones holding this entire society on their shoulders. If this used to be a society with the same prejudices as our own, it could be interesting to explore what the introduction of magic didn't change.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wittgen posted:

If Rue and Zoe started dating, they would be the third interracial lesbian couple.

I am curious about whether or not male homosexuality or trans men are treated with the same equanimity.

There's been, what, three significant male characters so far and each one has only appeared in one chapter? I don't think the story will ever really have room to address that point.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Mikl posted:

Girls kissing girls...

(Avatar sized, but if anyone would like to buy this, reminder that Lowtax still gets the monies from all forum purchases, so think before you buy.)

If anyone would like an avatar they can DM me a receipt of a donation to RAINN or something.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Update day https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-05

Yet another beat-up kid in the background. Seems like a rough night all around.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This was the letter (if you're like me and had forgotten):

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-16
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-17

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I remembered the letter, but not what was written on it.

"Thank you for being so kind to me while I'm still figuring things out" is a really big mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Zoe is such a sweet girl. I fear for her.