Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

scary ghost dog posted:

trying to imagine a sword cutting through an arm but it just keeps bouncing off

Isn't... Isn't that exactly what happens to the main character of One Piece multiple times since he's made of rubber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Dog Kisser posted:

Isn't... Isn't that exactly what happens to the main character of One Piece multiple times since he's made of rubber?

Blades are actually explicitly one of the things that can hurt Luffy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, bullets bounce off Luffy but blades can still cut him.

It makes sense in a child logic kind of way, which is perfect for One Piece.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alacron posted:

Yeah, bullets bounce off Luffy but blades can still cut him.

It makes sense in a child logic kind of way, which is perfect for One Piece.

I don't know about slicing, but most bullet proof vests do very little to protect you from stabbing unless they're specifically designed for it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The Devil Fruit powers work however the gently caress the mangaka wants them to work.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Luffy later obtains the power to be so determined, the sword will bounce off.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Yes, the cursed fantasy sword will behave to real world physics.

So you're saying, curse a real sword? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb3kaAd8k3o

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
God Emperor Solomon David - Supreme of the Celestial Empire, Lord of 111,111 Universes, bearer of the word Diamond, and God of the Seven Part World- can do kung fu breathing bullshit and move faster than anyone can react. He gives anyone a chance to come at him every 3 years in a tournament, and if anyone can draw a drop of blood from him they get their hearts desire. No one has ever done it. The tournaments have occurred for thousands of years.

82 White Chain, our Angel protagonist, is fighting him in the finals anyways. Because sometimes fighting evil is just the right thing to do even if you can't win. She's been getting her rear end whipped. (last image spoilered due to NSFW).

Read Kill Six Billion Demons, goddamnit.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 7, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it's really, really good :kimchi:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It looks like a Jojo reference lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gologle posted:

It looks like a Jojo reference lol

There is this whole thing from very early on where angels are basically a semi-mechanical physical form driven by a spiritual metaphysical being. Normally they aren't separate* but this has come up with two very exceptional angel characters who (surprise) don't conform to the genderless manifestation that practically all other angels do.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-10-153/

alt txt for the second page there is "This technique was invented on the spot by White Chain and would rarely, if ever, be used again by another angel"

*notable caveat "while alive and incarnate" because when they are "killed" their spiritual form goes to a plane something like valhalla for a while

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 7, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Note that the pages shared are from the end of the Tournament Arc, so the author is 100% leaning into that style.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

habeasdorkus posted:

Note that the pages shared are from the end of the Tournament Arc, so the author is 100% leaning into that style.

The entire tournament arc has been a delight, with several very badass moments.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
is that shape on her forehead solomons key?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Might be! We're not sure yet, these pages were just posted earlier this week.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mashle is usually a comedy but it’s had some cool fights recently. Read right to left

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's magic muscles, I can't gotta explain poo poo!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Mashle is usually a comedy but it’s had some cool fights recently. Read right to left

Ok, that's pretty badass.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

It's magic muscles, I can't gotta explain poo poo!

A muscle wizard did it :hmmyes:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DCeased: A Good Day to Die

The Anti-Life zombie apocalypse has happened. Mr. Terrific has some ideas on how to stop it. He puts together a team of himself, Big Barda, Mr. Miracle, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. He tries to rope Constantine into this, but Constantine says that magic won't stop the virus and resigns himself to hiding out and getting drunk. Terrific's final idea is to have Booster use his time machine to go back and stop all of this.

Unfortunately, while everyone's fighting off the overwhelming horde, Waverider stands in Beetle and Booster's way, claiming that Booster is banned from changing the timeline and he's going to be taken into custody. Constantine appears and momentarily subdues Waverider with some trickery and a headbutt. It's all for naught, as events going on in the world have caused so much havoc that Booster's ancestors are killed and he ceases to exist. He fades to nothing while giving his goodbyes to Beetle. Waverider's all, "Welp, that's the end of that!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr Stone

tl;dr for the setup: Every human on Earth has been turned to stone due to mysterious light. A millennia later a few people manage to break free. Senku leads the charge trying to bring modern science back to a world sent back to the stone age. Chrome is a 'sciencer' born into the world of stone who is constantly amazed at all the scientific discoveries the modern world has to offer, and is slowly but surely learning all the modern ways of science and critical thinking.

Senku is injured at a critical moment when they're trying to enter an enemy base and this occurs

(Spoilers for latest chapters)
(Right to left)

Along the way we're shown off many many roadmaps from Senku from how we go from the base components into whatever [Current Scientific Item] they need
(Google 'Dr Stone roadmaps' for a look at a few)

It all culminates in this from the latest chapter

Chromes very first roadmap! The Diggerific Rotating Impelling Land-eating Loop-knife

:allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Read Kill Six Billion Demons, goddamnit.
Hell yeah:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

DC'eased is pretty drat bleak but I'm really enjoying the whole thing, it doesn't feel as petty or mean spirited as Marvel Zombies.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Just want to say I read all of Kill 6 Billion Demons last night after the recommendations and posts in this thread. It’s really good!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It really is, but speaking to anyone thinking of giving it a go - it's definitely one of those things you have to spend probably hundreds of pages with before getting a proper feel for it. It's a huge investment, but totally pays off.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nilbop posted:

It really is, but speaking to anyone thinking of giving it a go - it's definitely one of those things you have to spend probably hundreds of pages with before getting a proper feel for it. It's a huge investment, but totally pays off.

I'd say that if you've passed the Devil Drinking Contest (about 110 pages, or ~5 issues of a printed comic) and you aren't feeling it, then it might not be your jam. I would 100% stick through it past that point, though, because a lot of the first book is about introducing you to a real weird world and the protagonist spends much of book 1 reacting like any normal person would to the situation into which she's thrust.

The art is real good from the start, though, and has kept getting better to the point where it's one of the best drawn comics I've ever seen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I disengaged completely from western webcomics since 8-bit Theater ended and it became increasingly clear Order of the Stick stopped being interesting hundreds of chapters before I called it quits, and I have never and still do not regret my decision at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
8-Bit Theater honestly doesn't have much on the modern crop of webcomics. It was good for it's time but eh.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The shifts in internet culture and comedy and fandom culture and everything in this messed up, miserable bitch of a world makes reading a webcomic from even ten years ago feel like stepping over into an alternate reality.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gologle posted:

I disengaged completely from western webcomics since 8-bit Theater ended and it became increasingly clear Order of the Stick stopped being interesting hundreds of chapters before I called it quits, and I have never and still do not regret my decision at all.

order of the stick has as much in common with K6BD as like, I can't really come up with a witty contrast but they're from very different universes.
e: actually here's a really important contrast: OOTS is aggressively, intentionally mediocre and stagnant whereas K6BD is the polar opposite in every way.

Dan Didio posted:

The shifts in internet culture and comedy and fandom culture and everything in this messed up, miserable bitch of a world makes reading a webcomic from even ten years ago feel like stepping over into an alternate reality.

tbh this is where K6BD stays good, it's about getting by and maybe even doing OK in a really lovely world that powerful people broke through misrule.
e: it's about many things besides, but that is a strong recurring theme.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 14, 2020

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't expect anything to read 1200 some oots strips but the writing has grown tremendously over the years. I own every current volume of K6BD in print for context. I think it's a mistake to dismiss oots, it's far and above better than anything 8bit ever did. If it's not your bag that's fair, but it's developed far beyond what it was.

Actual content then: this is from the empyre/savage avengers one shot that came out a couple weeks ago. The whole issue is great and has some A+ Venom content, but I really enjoyed this sequence from Conan. If you haven't been reading Empyre, there are plant people and they are mean.

Here's a little recap:

Not much later:

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 14, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I don't expect anything to read 1200 some oots strips but the writing has grown tremendously over the years. I own every current volume of K6BD in print for context. I think it's a mistake to dismiss oots, it's far and above better than anything 8bit ever did. If it's not your bag that's fair, but it's developed far beyond what it was.

I'll take your word for it, I quit reading it many years ago. The only character I could keep any real interest in was the passive aggressive hobgoblin cleric guy. The last major plot element I remember was some poo poo about a giant blue magical dome around some city and all the characters scattered into something like 8 separate plot arcs, none of which were terribly interesting to me. It felt like I was putting more work into reading it than the author put into creating it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gologle posted:

You do you man, but saying "I don't want to read Kill Six Billion Demons because I got tired of The Order of the Stick, and they're both webcomics" makes as much sense as "I don't want to watch The Wire because I got tired of General Hospital, and they're both TV shows."

For that matter, since I can get my Marvel comics delivered to my tablet and read them electronically, and you can go buy the dead tree versions of K6BD on Amazon, the distinction between "comic" and "webcomic" has blurred to near irrelevance. Is the recent Fallen Angels mini better than K6BD just because the former debuted in comic book stores and the latter online? No, no it is not. Fallen Angels is trash, but K6BD is excellent.

The Order of the Stick is a stick figure D&D parody comic that evolved into somewhat deeper storytelling.

8 Bit Theater was a sprite Final Fantasy parody comic that evolved into somewhat deeper storytelling, but never stopped being funny.

Kill Six Billion Demons is a beautifully hand drawn martial arts epic that is neither a parody nor a comedy that had deep storytelling from the very beginning.

If K6BD doesn't appeal to you on those grounds, then by all means, give it a pass. But judge it for what is, not by how it's delivered to it's audience, for pete's sake! :doh:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Somberbrero posted:

(Great panels)]

Those are some great pages. Bonus points for Venom getting in a truck as a hommage to the 90’s Spider-Man cartoon.

It should have had Eddie saying that the Coatai were
“Bad boys from Outer Space
Here to Bodyslam the human race.”

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The Question IRL posted:

Those are some great pages. Bonus points for Venom getting in a truck as a hommage to the 90’s Spider-Man cartoon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Actual content then: this is from the empyre/savage avengers one shot that came out a couple weeks ago. The whole issue is great and has some A+ Venom content, but I really enjoyed this sequence from Conan. If you haven't been reading Empyre, there are plant people and they are mean.

These are good panels. Harvesters need more run as devices of destruction, and plant dudes are their favored enemy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is Conan usually "I take no pleasure in killing men"? I mean he either picked the wrong profession or needs a different hobby.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's just very good at it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

CzarChasm posted:

Is Conan usually "I take no pleasure in killing men"? I mean he either picked the wrong profession or needs a different hobby.

Judging by the comic strip that I'm currently reading in the megathread, he's really good at shanking fools when it's needed, but usually if you leave him alone, he'll have no quarrel with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

CzarChasm posted:

Conan is a dour, joyless murder tornado. He's the "cool guys don't look at explosions" of the 1930s.