Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rick posted:

I didn't love the Seinfeld ending at first but it has really grown on me over the years. The bit at the end where they start having a conversation from the first episode again is a nice touch.

I think that mainly because, while it had a lot of cultural cache, Seinfeld came out before the echo chamber of the internet really amplified all feelings about everything. Everyone hates the ending for being anemic, Jerry has a mini meltdown about not beating MASH's numbers and then goes on SNL and films a digital short about it and everyone moves on. If it happened now it would be a terrible abortion that slapped every fan in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy poo poo, I just saw a commercial for New Mutants coming to theaters at the end of the month while watching Unsolved Mysteries on PlutoTV. What the gently caress? That can't be right.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Byzantine posted:

I was kinda disappointed in that, tbh. Most if not all "what if the south won" stuff is lazy and just has one absorb the other, a world where the South broke off and then there's two States of America jockeying for position during the 20th century has potential.

I mean, I get it, but still.

So at the same time as Confederate, Aaron "The Boondocks" McGruder announced he had a deal with Amazon to make a similar, much more interesting show, which has also vanished into the void. It was "okay, the slaves get their own state, and so how does the history of the US shake out if the American people are loving with them and sabotaging things and they still survive to modern day, what does this become".

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

Holy poo poo, I just saw a commercial for New Mutants coming to theaters at the end of the month while watching Unsolved Mysteries on PlutoTV. What the gently caress? That can't be right.

I saw that too. Very confusing. That's two Stark kids in mutant movies now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even the Harry Turtledove alt history series had the Confederacy become a seperate state to the Union iirc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even the Harry Turtledove alt history series had the Confederacy become a seperate state to the Union iirc.

In Timeline-191, New Mutants is still delayed

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rick posted:

I didn't love the Seinfeld ending at first but it has really grown on me over the years. The bit at the end where they start having a conversation from the first episode again is a nice touch.

I hated the Seinfeld ending because as much of a bunch of jerks as these people were, throwing them in prison for a year to get raped was way too cruel.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yeah hes one of those writers who just gets poo poo on so disproportionately its rediculous.

I could barely finish poo poo like Tomorrowland and Cowboys & Aliens but hes done so much amazing and influential work its hard to understand the hyperbole surrounding him unless you basically frame it as a continuous grudge based completely on the ending of Lost.

Do go on! Please tell me what kind of amazing and influential work he's done.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I have to wonder about the 5 GOT prequels and if any of them will ever come out. I can't be the only one who has no interest in finding out about the first Dragon King or Stark or whoever when I know it all ends with such a whimper. None of the mysteries have any allure to me.

Executives might only care about money, but they have to give a poo poo that their golden franchise got permanently stained in the popular imagination.

I imagine they might, but I doubt any of them put two and two together and learned something from it.

Any piece of serial media that involves lots of people to make it tends to become like this boxcar that everyone wants to stick more poo poo to until it just collapses under its own weight, just before the finish.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In Timeline-191, New Mutants is still delayed

In all timelines, the release of New Mutants is the inevitable endpoint. Realities that survive are the ones that realize this and delay it for as long as possible.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

END ME SCOOB posted:

So at the same time as Confederate, Aaron "The Boondocks" McGruder announced he had a deal with Amazon to make a similar, much more interesting show, which has also vanished into the void. It was "okay, the slaves get their own state, and so how does the history of the US shake out if the American people are loving with them and sabotaging things and they still survive to modern day, what does this become".

I don't know if that's that much of an interesting premise, considering that "a country repeatedly undermined by US foreign policy, full of people the US is racist towards", already describes almost every other country in the Americas.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think that was kind of the point, yeah.

Although at this point I can't even say "a US territory but that" because Puerto Rico. Which might be why that faded into the night silently.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

The Klowner posted:

Do go on! Please tell me what kind of amazing and influential work he's done.

Lost is one of the most influential TV shows of all time and The Leftovers and Watchmen are what I would define as "amazing". Prometheus also owns.

All of these have been talked about already so Im not sure what youre trying to bait from me.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Remember Heroes was supposed to be the new Lost, lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The script for Prometheus is extremely well-written, and notably better than the earlier boring draft by Jon Spaiths.

World War Z has questionable direction, but the third act - which is what Lindelof (re)wrote - is where the film finally gets interesting. This ending is likewise significantly better than the original ending.

I don’t really watch TV, but everybody seems to like Lost, Leftovers, and Watchmen.

So are folks basically just mad at Star Trek 2?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wwz's third act is the most boring poo poo imaginable

even Lost guy usurping brad pitt in the original would have been more interesting

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

He is solidly mediocre

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Goons gotta goon, I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Remember how near on immediately they wrote themselves into a corner with various characters powers, had a writers strike, and then came back worse than before? Then rebooted the show years later and made basically all the exact same errors?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I think Heroes started airing too early for it to be the new Lost. FlashForward on the other hand definitely tried... for one season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVeYwHJJq8

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 14, 2020

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Heroes was super popular when it first aired. Then it continued and just started sucking more and more and more and somehow, more

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think Heroes started airing too early for it to be the new Lost. FlashForward on the other hand definitely tried... for one season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVeYwHJJq8

Yeah, Flash Forward was fun but in an extremely "Throw all the plot points out there, we will resolve them around season 7" kind of way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

How I Met Your Mother is absolutely a terrible finale and was the go to alongside Dexter after lost but before GoT. GoT just managed to poo poo the bed even harder, doing it over two seasons and in front if a global audience, that its all the more impressive.

Lost was interesting for me because being a weirdo who had watched anime's with mystery plots and terrible loving endings I refused to get invested in it until it wrapped up. At the time everyone I knew was like "you're an idiot they clearly have a plan it all fits you gotta watch it!" and then around season 5 and definitely the finale suddenly everyone was like "good decision not to waste your time on this". It basically cemented my opinion to never watch tv shows until they finish unless they're comedies/status quo resets.

I could tell Lost was gonna be trash after the 1st season's season finale, same with the Walking Dead. An aimless show that subsists on feeding its audience a supposed satisfying ending is pretty easy to spot. Just imagine its writers trying to bs their way into their show being substantive.

Uh...yeah...the point of the season...was to find...a tunnel...yeah that's it.

Reminds me of Patton Oswalt talking about why he gave up on Lost. When they started r3surrecting characters in a lazarus pit or something (something like that I had long stopped watching). He said he, as a writer, he just imagined the Lost writers just wanting to go home and making some poo poo up on the fly.

Made all the howls about how bad the ending was pretty satisfying. Lol what a timewaster.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The lazarus pits were in the last season, though.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fartbox posted:

Heroes was super popular when it first aired. Then it continued and just started sucking more and more and more and somehow, more

Heroes was mega poplar when it first started airing. To the point that I decided to binge the first 20 or whatever episodes leading up to the season finale.

The season 1 finale really sucked. It tied up some plot threads in a somewhat satisfying way, but the major battle they had been building towards the entire season happens as flashing colors off-screen. I remember seeing so many social media posts and articles about how disappointing it was.

Then the writer's strike happened, and the few fans that stuck with it got treated to a bunch of plot lines and characters in a short season 2 that ultimately didn't matter, or in some cases got retconned in season 3.

It was a mess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Btw an article on the fantastic talent behind the camera on the leftovers https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2017/05/the-leftovers-directors-mimi-leder-craig-zobel-1201834043/amp/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

The lazarus pits were in the last season, though.

Okay just going by what he saud.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lost was fine and you don't get internet cred just for saying a show you didn't watch was trash

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All I remember about Heroes was season 1.

And then that reboot with Henry Zebrowski.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Len posted:

Lost was fine and you don't get internet cred just for saying a show you didn't watch was trash

i loving earned them creds with years of important posts buddy

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

All I remember about Heroes was season 1.

And then that reboot with Henry Zebrowski.

Henry noooooooooooooooooooooo

Didn't know he was involved in that travesty :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You know what?

I'm kinda glad I worked weird 2nd and 3rd shifts from 2003-2006, I missed out on getting into shows like HIMYM, Lost, and Battlestar Galactica.

I know I saw the pilot movie, and the final episode of Battlestar (my girlfriend at the time was watching it without telling me).

HIMYM was in syndication for a while, so I would catch an episode here or there after work in the last decade, but it never gripped me enough to go back and watch.

I think I've only ever seen one episode of the final season of Lost, and that was while I was drinking at a bar, it may have been the finale, :iiam:

Of course by the time all these shows were wrapping up, TV had created bigger and better shows to pay attention to :shrug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'd say that BSG is still worth watching as long you quit midway thru the 3rd season.

It prob has one of the best "pilots" (aka the episode after the miniseries, 33 seconds) ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole Orgalorg five-parter of Adventure Time felt like the cartoon version of a disappointing prestige TV finale, totally killed my interest in the show. Supposedly it got better after, but.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The script for Prometheus is extremely well-written, and notably better than the earlier boring draft by Jon Spaiths.

It's nice to have confirmation I was correct.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

Speaking of The Boondocks, man the last season was rough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If the Confederacy had survived it would've been a basket case equivalent of a third world country and I have a feeling D&D - known for their great ability to handle large political storytelling without someone else having pre-written it - would've handled it very well.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

If the Confederacy had survived it would've been a basket case equivalent of a third world country and I have a feeling D&D - known for their great ability to handle large political storytelling without someone else having pre-written it - would've handled it very well.

...OK, show of hands. Who else thought for a split second this was referring to the subforum?

(Also, why did "D&D" catch on? Pretty much everywhere else I see them referred to as "Benioff and Weiss". Wouldn't "B&W" make more sense?)

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yep, same. Then I thought they were might be talking about Dungeons and Dragons. Somehow the post still made sense to me in those contexts as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
You call me a murder hobo

well I call myself a runaway slave