Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/MaxLebled/status/1294300124441710597

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This whole time I'd been assuming it was because of a really good school system and a country full of people who took education and learning languages seriously. I'm not sure how to feel finding out the answer is "subtitled TV and movies" lol, I guess I'm still impressed just in a different way

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If that's the case then my Japanese accent must sound authentic as gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have a Mexican friend whose English is good and a Puerto Rican friend whose English is nearly native, and the answer for both of them is TV. I don't think either of them got more than rudimentary English education in school (which seems odd for PR)

my Spanish is rudimentary at best. maybe I should start watching El Chapulin Colorado....

edit: a lot of the Simpsons for both friends, come to think of it, in both languages.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S5OrdhY1n9Y

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Aug 14, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Catpain Slack posted:

As for the vaguely American accent, it's because speaking with a British accent makes you sound like an upper-class twit.

I definitely think there should be an effort to go around teaching English to people with various regional british accents.

Just because it would be funny to teach people a horrible language that they also can't use to communicate with any of the other people who speak it :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Imagining a foundation that funds tutors to go around the world and teach kids Glaswegian

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This whole time I'd been assuming it was because of a really good school system and a country full of people who took education and learning languages seriously. I'm not sure how to feel finding out the answer is "subtitled TV and movies" lol, I guess I'm still impressed just in a different way

Here's a revelation for you: it's both. It's what happens when you learn the basics in school and 90% of your consumed media is in english with subtitles.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

No.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Autopsies are only done on your own species (auto), Vets do Necropsies

This is still a good meme

OOOOH SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET
auto = self, opsis = sight
autopsy = seeing something for yourself (as in, with your own eyes)

Coincidentally this is why Swedish and Dutch people are somewhat better at English than German people. Germany still has very good public education so their English isn't bad - but they have a tradition of dubbing their TV and movies, so kids' exposure to English language movies with German subtitles is close to zero.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

OwlFancier posted:

I definitely think there should be an effort to go around teaching English to people with various regional british accents.

Just because it would be funny to teach people a horrible language that they also can't use to communicate with any of the other people who speak it :v:

Best (most entertaining) accent I ever heard was a German tour guide who'd learned English with an Irish accent. And it was one of those "spooky medieval city" tours so he was hamming it up in character.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

OOOOH SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET
auto = self, opsis = sight
autopsy = seeing something for yourself (as in, with your own eyes)

Ah cool, thanks. Always glad to be de-dumbassed. Wish I could remember where I "learned" that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait so if the US won the cultural hegemony victory why is the game still going.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RFC2324 posted:

I really want to find some culture that picked up cockney English as British instead of that posh bullshit

Preferably from some tribe that's language is primarily clicks or something non-tonal so they have as little native accent as possible

Rural American English is said to be more like what English accents used to be before everyone started imitating the upper class.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

zoux posted:

Wait so if the US won the cultural hegemony victory why is the game still going.

We live in a Yoko Taro game and we're going for the B ending where everything turns out very grim

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heath posted:

We live in a Yoko Taro game and we're going for the B ending where everything turns out very grim

Cool, well we're doing great.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Post game cheevos

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

To be fair some of it is probably the education. A bunch of small countries with their own languages have realized that nobody is going to learn their language, so they have to teach their kids one or another lingua franca if they want them to be able to do things like study abroad, travel, read foreign books, engage in trade, whatever. Nobody outside Sweden is learning Swedish, so Swedes learn English in school because English lets them take part in all kinds of global exchange. If you're born in the US and grow up speaking English, there's much less incentive because you already have access to all the global exchange facilitated by your native language being the contemporary world's dominant language.

And then of course, the cultural and linguistic hegemony of English means that there's tons of cultural content created in English, which helps reinforce learning through things like subtitled TV and movies, or reading English-language literature that hasn't been translated into your native tongue, or listening to English-language music, and so on. Whereas if you grow up speaking English you tend to have much less daily exposure to foreign-language media unless you actively seek it out. So the two things sort of feed on and reinforce one another.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zoux posted:

Because we are junkies that keep hitting the 5 more turns button.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:hmmyes:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

lol if you think Ben Shapiro even tries to please his wife. Sex is a procreative act only.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Catpain Slack posted:

As for the vaguely American accent, it's because speaking with a British accent makes you sound like an upper-class twit.

Everyone should learn English by watching re-runs of byker grove.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Heath posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for C and D.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rural American English is said to be more like what English accents used to be before everyone started imitating the upper class.

A lot of English accents are still like that, you just don't see them on TV much, because most actors are posh londoners.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of English accents are still like that, you just don't see them on TV much, because most actors are posh londoners.

Every British character in film and television should have Danny Dyer's accent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean.. working class london is slightly better but it'd be like if every american on TV sounded like a fat noo yoaker.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Imagining a foundation that funds tutors to go around the world and teach kids Glaswegian

You don't need to imagine - just watch footballers being interviewed

If Glasgow is the first place someone has played outside their home country, they always sound brilliant, and have lots of wee Weegie affectations

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

OwlFancier posted:

Received pronunciation is seen as the standard 'British' accent and even British actors who arn't from the South East learn to imitate it if they want to get any work outside of the UK. Regional accents simply don't exist outside of UK telly, if you don't sound like you're doing a pride and prejudice impression then its not a British accent as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

I mean.. working class london is slightly better but it'd be like if every american on TV sounded like a fat noo yoaker.

My biggest peeve about It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World tbh

It takes place in LA fergodsakes

Borscht Belt comics as far as the eye can see

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdzZXibW3B8

You have to concentrate to understand it and I live there lol. I imagine it's probably about as incomprehensible to most people as that clip of the aussie guy yelling at the lightning.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdzZXibW3B8

You have to concentrate to understand it and I live there lol. I imagine it's probably about as incomprehensible to most people as that clip of the aussie guy yelling at the lightning.

Nah I speak Sean Bean

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

holy poo poo, it works

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos