Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

It's...hard to completely explain what's going on,

Sounds like Hawkman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean yeah, but the cool part of the admittedly pretty dense story is that it did make the Hawks' continuity very manageable and streamlined, which is quite a feat. There really shouldn't be any problem anymore for anyone to utilize these characters effectively...that is, unless A) no one reads this book before loving the Hawkpeople up again, or B) DC Comics goes tits up in the immediate future, which...

Wow I guess the chances aren't super high huh :(

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

BrianWilly posted:

There's probably bigger things going on right now what with the industry on the verge of doom, but I have to take a moment to note that Venditti's Hawkman series has been a real gem these last few years and, with this latest issue, he pulls off something few writers get to do by bringing satisfying closure to a really long-running storyline.

I caught up with it over the last few weeks after learning it's one of the top books at my LCBS and... agreed. The evil Hawkman stuff goes on entirely too long, but as a whole, it turned a character I would have only previously described as "existing" into one I kinda dig. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone been reading Batman's Grave? Because it's blowing me away how boring it is.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
When is Damian first introduced in the comics?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

OscarDiggs posted:

When is Damian first introduced in the comics?
First appearance As infant:
Batman: Son of the Demon (1987)
As Damian Wayne:
Batman #655 (September 2006)
As Robin:
Batman #657 (November 2006)
As Batman:
Batman #666 (August 2007)

The Son of the Demon thing is obviously something of a retcon, since it was a maybe-sorta-in-continuity graphic novel in 1987 that was ignored by every other Batman comic for twenty years, basically.

Batman #666 is a flash forward to a possible future within the run of Batman comics written by Grant Morrison that started with Batman #655, the first named appearance of Damian Wayne, who became Robin two issues later.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Also of note the Son of the Demon stuff was considered out of Canon until Morrison showed up so he was never mentioned between Son of the Demon and Morrison's run.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cassa posted:

Anyone been reading Batman's Grave? Because it's blowing me away how boring it is.

Yeah, aside from wacky Alfred I'm not getting a whole lot out of it.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Wayne]First appearance

Oof. Thats a long way to go back to. I think I'll save it for later then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OscarDiggs posted:

Oof. Thats a long way to go back to. I think I'll save it for later then.

Son of the Demon is a short and good story. The rest is just basically the start of Morrison's Batman run, which I think everyone who digs Batman should read at least once.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Son of the Demon is a short and good story. The rest is just basically the start of Morrison's Batman run, which I think everyone who digs Batman should read at least once.

Oh is it Batman and Son? I'm so used to seeing the story names I never know how to interpret the plain ol numbers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OscarDiggs posted:

Oh is it Batman and Son? I'm so used to seeing the story names I never know how to interpret the plain ol numbers

I think so, it's been a couple years since I read Morrison's Batman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

OscarDiggs posted:

Yeah. Batman and Son is only three issues. He puts on a Robin costume in that story, but doesn’t officially become Robin until Batman & Robin #1.

EDIT: Oh, hey! Death Metal accidentally drew Batgirl in her good costume.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 14, 2020

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, aside from wacky Alfred I'm not getting a whole lot out of it.

Wacky Alfred is delightful though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw. Suicide Squad is ending at #11.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

Aw. Suicide Squad is ending at #11.

:(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Correction: Taylor said it was planned to end this way but does have plans for the Revolutionaries. Some other stuff got the ax like Hawkman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think Young Justice also got the axe. It's a bit of massacre right now for DC titles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend at DC says poo poo is grim. Everyone expects to be fired.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hellblazer dead

https://twitter.com/sispurrier/status/1294315618825535491?s=19

loving sucks, probably the best Hellblazer/Constantine book since they canceled the original. Definitely the first that felt like the old Vertigo title at its peak.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do we need to tell DC they're gutted? Seems like they're pretty well aware.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I wonder how much longer DC comics will still be printing monthlys at this rate.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Has AT&T or Warner given any reason or logic for decimating DC aside from it being a blood sacrifice to make a number on a spreadsheet go up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Father Wendigo posted:

Has AT&T or Warner given any reason or logic for decimating DC aside from it being a blood sacrifice to make a number on a spreadsheet go up.

Most of the other places that have seen big layoffs have also taken a revenue hit lately, mostly because of the pandemic. It's probably safe to assume that DC wasn't doing as well as AT&T would've liked.

However, AT&T's expectations for revenue have more to do with its current debt than any actual failures, and it's been shooting itself in the foot over it for much of the last three years. It's safe to assume that the issues are entirely on AT&T's end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder if DC will start releasing people from exclusive contracts. I don't think it's gonna survive much longer in its current form and will just sort of turn into an IP farm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

will just sort of turn into an IP farm.
Marvel's got this pat but DC doesn't have much of a track record for adaptations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Pretty stupid that they made Gotham and not just a TV show about Batman. Gotham Central is absolutely one of my favorite books but they couldn't even just adapt that.

I kinda hope they start cutting the budgets of their films to a fifth of what they do currently and just try to make 5 movies instead of one disappointing blockbuster.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I just started watching Gotham and I am very glad it wasn't just a Batman TV show. I would very much like to see a Batman show set 20 years after the events of Gotham though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Pretty stupid that they made Gotham and not just a TV show about Batman. Gotham Central is absolutely one of my favorite books but they couldn't even just adapt that.

I kinda hope they start cutting the budgets of their films to a fifth of what they do currently and just try to make 5 movies instead of one disappointing blockbuster.

It sounds like the new show set in the universe of the upcoming movie is going to be more Gotham Central.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Sounds like Aquaman is also being brought to a close in November.

EDIT: Although it's apparently only the close of the current story and not necessarily a cancellation?

https://twitter.com/kellysue/status/1294082105572352001
https://twitter.com/AquamanUniverse/status/1294081192757796866

I dig Aquaman, and the New 52 and Rebirth Aquaman runs were my first really foray into DC. I've gone a bit mad now though, and I'm currently in the very early stages of a big first-time readthrough from the '60s to the Present, going primarily through Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and the various Crises, events, and cross-overs along the way (also Kirby's Fourth World, Saga of Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Sandman, and other assorted side stops? I think - I hope - I've finally reached a spot where my completionism is sated and I can stop adding to the reading order... :shobon:). I expect DC will be well into whatever the next plans for these characters are by the time I'm caught up, but it's still concerning seeing all these cancelations/"not-extendings".

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 15, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I believe a Gotham Central TV show is now in the works via HBO Max, though the political situation makes a show about cops kinda iffy. Still it was announced in July of this year so it's still early.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hell yeah, so glad Gotham Central might actually happen.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Noooo, Young Justice. :(

This is looking pretty grim. I wonder how far the cuts will go.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Joker War is going to end with a line wide reboot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Crisis on infinite jokers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Crisis on infinite jokers

He deleted the tweet for some reason, but a few years ago Chip Zdarsky joked that if his contract negotiations with Marvel didn't go well he was going over to DC and slipping them a note that just says "A Fourth Joker"

If Zdarsky ever does switch companies I fully expect that to be announced at the same time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm getting the feeling that you're not gonna see people leave for DC.

How long before Bendis is back at Marvel?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What is bendis' first book when returning to marvel

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm getting the feeling that you're not gonna see people leave for DC.

How long before Bendis is back at Marvel?

Oh yeah, no one's getting a new exclusive contract at DC for a long time

site posted:

Amazing Spider-Man I'd bet. Assuming DC doesn't stop actually publishing Superman comics even if it's just in trade format or online only that's the only book I could see him leaving DC for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

site posted:

Jessica Drew has a kid he can age up.