Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I think Ulio meant ballistas?

Ya this is what I meant, mb.

cheetah7071 posted:

FE7 fliers fare better against ballistae than pretty much anywhere else in the series because weapon effectiveness in that game is 2x weapon might, not 3x

Ya I kinda didn't level up my flying units properly other than Heath because he had a sick haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, probably one of the more controversial changes we're doing

Now, we have a lot of information we need to get onto the stat screen, but one of our members has always disliked how "Space Inefficient" it was. So we've done up these templates. I know they're unlike the usual FE layout, and the prioritized information is more hardcore than flavourful. However I would still like to hear peoples opinions on the overall... everything.

Now, this is not the final 'look' we're going to of course make it pretty and nice looking. This is just a function template.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think it looks pretty good, but I don't know what it looked like before so I can't really compare.

I guess it looks a bit intimidating but so did pretty much every FE game until I dove in and started playing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the appeal of fe has always been how elegant and clean the numbers and math are, so i really dont like that weird clunky menu that makes it look like a sting game, but nobody's gonna be playing this hack that doesnt know most of the formulas by heart, so whatever

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Onmi posted:

So, probably one of the more controversial changes we're doing

Now, we have a lot of information we need to get onto the stat screen, but one of our members has always disliked how "Space Inefficient" it was. So we've done up these templates. I know they're unlike the usual FE layout, and the prioritized information is more hardcore than flavourful. However I would still like to hear peoples opinions on the overall... everything.

Now, this is not the final 'look' we're going to of course make it pretty and nice looking. This is just a function template.

Are you going to adopt the names for the derived defensive stats from Three Houses, Protection and Resilience?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Not sure how different FE6 stat screen is from FE7 but here's the 7 ones. I think they're great.

Honestly I have never minded that the calculated stats are on page two because the GUI in the GBA games is so snappy. It takes no time to go look at them and even then you still have to calculate weapon triangle bonuses yourself. If you wanted to do something to make it easier to look at calculated stats then I would say move page 2 to page 1, I feel like I am usually more interested in seeing my units inventory than their raw stats anyways. You could get rid of the "Equipment" label and Rng display since those aren't helpful for veteran players. I guess you would need 1 more space to show the 7th stat you have there but I'm sure there's some way to squeeze it in.

Opinions on reworked version: Level/XP take up twice the room as before in a less elegant way and Maximum HP shows up twice. I would rather it just extend the stats section down one more row so you could fit Magic and Stamina in and then left as is. B/W/L getting replaced with the skill bar is fine. Moving affinity and doing something about the Con/Aid situation would be another way to fit a few more stats in.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah I think level and exp should be separated out from the stats, they disappear into the list like that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If FE7 had a romance option and you chose Merlinus as your spouse would that make you a gold digger?

Also almost done with this game, not sure but this game been much longer than Awakening for me. Probably 2nd playthrough will be easier as I managed to misplay level some characters and the 29x Colosseum is stupidly hard poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 29x colosseum isnt any different than any otehr arena, the issue is by that point in the game your cahracters have very high defense and the game sends insanely broken enemies at you if you send someone in with high defense.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

the 29x colosseum isnt any different than any otehr arena, the issue is by that point in the game your cahracters have very high defense and the game sends insanely broken enemies at you if you send someone in with high defense.
lmao really? I always wondered how colosseum enemies were generated; it seemed pretty random. Is there some kind of wiki page for this?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Elephant Parade posted:

lmao really? I always wondered how colosseum enemies were generated; it seemed pretty random. Is there some kind of wiki page for this?

It randomly generates based on your level. In order to prevent units with a defense stat from being op they give enemies better weapons depending on how high your defense is. Which goes way overkill and makes it a deathtrap for knights.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I like the idea that defence, specifically, is the stat that needs to be countered. Like if you're running a mage who can OHKO things, no problem; you don't have to buff enemies to make up for it. But an armor knight who might take less damage? Get outta here

not like they're invincible, with mages and armorslayers existing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theoretically if there was a unit that took barely any damage from the enemies you could generate infinite money since hed be at no risk. with a mage at least he could theoretically miss and get killed, or be put up against another mage or a unit with good res or something

but yeah they insanely overtuned it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So it's basically the same as the GBA games?

edit: I just realized you guys are actually talking about the GBA games, not Awakening. :downs:

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 16, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

Oh that makes sense, I sent Hawkeye and first enemy was a soldier that had like 2x his speed + weapon advantage.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

theoretically if there was a unit that took barely any damage from the enemies you could generate infinite money since hed be at no risk. with a mage at least he could theoretically miss and get killed, or be put up against another mage or a unit with good res or something

but yeah they insanely overtuned it
For sure, I just think "scale enemy weapons based on Def" is a galaxy brain solution to begin with when the game could just give melee units a chance to go up against mages and Armorslayers. And sure, the player could back out of those fights, but at that point they're probably going to run out of money.

and all this is to prevent the player from easily leveling up the like two armor knights you get in fe7

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Elephant Parade posted:

For sure, I just think "scale enemy weapons based on Def" is a galaxy brain solution to begin with when the game could just give melee units a chance to go up against mages and Armorslayers. And sure, the player could back out of those fights, but at that point they're probably going to run out of money.

and all this is to prevent the player from easily leveling up the like two armor knights you get in fe7

Eh, tossing random effective weapons in would be just as cruel. But yeah, basically. If you want armor knights in the arena unchecked, just look at how in three houses they no sell pretty much every one until timing out becomes a problem.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

I kinda doubt it’s specifically for armor knights, tbh, just high stat units, and armor knights get hit the worst because they’re so min-maxed, like for instance Heath and Vaida probably fare way better than Oswin because they’re more well-rounded tanks

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Well, they didn't say anything about stats other than DEF affecting arena matchups (aside from level, obviously), and the only super high-DEF FE7 class I could think of was the armor knight. I guess wyvern knights would also be affected

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I'm not familiar with FE7's arena formulas, but I am knowledgeable with FE6's for some reason so if they're relatively similar this breakdown will explain what's going on:

The basic algorithm the game uses to generate arena units is it calculates 3 numbers: HP, ATK and DEF. The goal is to generate an enemy unit such that (ATK-DEF)*6 > HP, i.e. the unit can kill yours in 6 attacks or less (Caveat: I think the multiplier is 6, but I'm not completely sure on this.) The thing that gets weird is how ATK is calculated and how it actually creates the unit. HP is just max HP and DEF is just the target's DEF/RES. (Also, I believe in FE7 the game does not check the dance ring stat bonuses for calculations, which will be relevant later down the line.)

ATK, for some reason, is always the unit's base STR/MAG + 5 (so assuming it's holding a E-rank class weapon), even if the game decides to assign a higher base damage weapon. This is important because of what the game does if the (ATK-DEF)*6 > HP check fails: In FE6, the game increases the arena unit's base stats by 2 (this will bypass class stat caps), then upgrades their weapon if possible (going up one rank from a predetermined list.) This has the effect of creating a unit that is generally more lethal than intended, because the game ignores Attack Speed, Critical rating and what the actual damage numbers are. Thus, if you send a unit with high defenses to the arena, you'll typically get arena units that are capable of doubling and killing your unit in 2-4 attacks (or worse if they have a crit bonus.)

Note that the game never checks avoid, so the optimal unit to send to the arena is a unit with high avoid (boosted by supports) with low defense, so the game will avoid triggering the "upgrade" step and give you normal arena units. Also, I mentioned that FE7 might not check dance ring bonuses for calculations; I say this because I remember an old FE7 arena strat being dancing a DEF boost on a unit and then rescuing them to keep the boost going indefinitely (so Arena > Rescue > End Turn > Drop > Refresh and repeat.)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, tossing random effective weapons in would be just as cruel. But yeah, basically. If you want armor knights in the arena unchecked, just look at how in three houses they no sell pretty much every one until timing out becomes a problem.

I love how using Armor Knights to win tournaments meant for sword masters and archers trivialized the arena in Three Houses so much that the DLC reversed the tables and replaced the vanilla opponents with a giga Armor Knight who makes the arena unwinnable until like halfway through the game and locks you out of the arenas other functions until you beat him.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you can just press x on the arena menu to access the monthly tournaments actually

(but yes that knight is hilarious)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Huh, that's pretty interesting. Thanks for the writeup!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
One other change we've done to MoD from what we originally had is making an edit to Roy's personal skill, Inspiring Leader.

Before, Inspiring Leader granted better bonuses depending on which PRF Roy was holding, which also meant writing out his skill in such a way that it was humongous and took a tremendous amount of words to clarify. Both to save our sanity, and also to make this easier for the players the skill will now upgrade when you reach certain points of the game, and the bonus will be its max regardless of which PRF Roy is using.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, Roy gets leadership stars basically?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wark Say posted:

So, Roy gets leadership stars basically?

To a degree he buffs hit at first, then hit and crit, then hit, crit and damage by the end game. If you want to "super" his aura. Fiora gives him an extra bonus to hit and avoid. And also makes his aura heal.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, Imma post this in both the Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors thread to hit both sides of the Crossover.

Fire Emblem Warriors. I adore the Dynasty Warriors series, I love the Fire Emblem series. However, I am *not* a huge fan of Fire Emblem: Fates. Considering roughly *half* the cast of FEW is Fates characters, do you guys think would it still be worth it for me?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fire Emblem warriors is a very good game mechanically and is fun to play but even barring the roster issues it has moveset diversity issues. Without DLC the only lance users are all peg knights with the same moveset, for instance.

Imo, see if you can get it for 30 bucks or less and pass those savings onto buying the dlc, and its worth the price.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a fun game. But it's kind of a letdown for a Warriors game.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I adored Fire Emblem Warriors enough to 100% it and all its DLC, even considering its significant cast issues.
Everything about it just clicked with me. Like Endorph says its great mechanically, the supports are nice, the progression system (namely: everyone has their own prf with full skill slots so you have long term goal that isnt grinding for the best weapon with the best skill), I loved its History Mode, the movesets that are there are all fun to take for a spin.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hopefully there will be a FE Warriors 2, but with good characters instead

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hopefully there will be a FE Warriors 2, but with good characters instead

Preferably with characters from more than just three games. I fantasize about a FEW game with a great big roster of characters from all sorts of games, and playing on their gimmicks.

Wallace from FE7 announcing that he's going to intercept an enemy, only to start moving in the wrong direction.

Black Knight shows up on the field - a Tellius character panics, only for Hector to charge the guy. (Whether this is a good idea is another story)

Claude luring Ephraim into a trap. Ephraim's morale goes up instead of down.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Preferably with characters from more than just three games. I fantasize about a FEW game with a great big roster of characters from all sorts of games, and playing on their gimmicks.

Wallace from FE7 announcing that he's going to intercept an enemy, only to start moving in the wrong direction.

Black Knight shows up on the field - a Tellius character panics, only for Hector to charge the guy. (Whether this is a good idea is another story)

Claude luring Ephraim into a trap. Ephraim's morale goes up instead of down.

To be fair Hector has the Wolf Beil which tore mounted/armored units apart even in the nerfed NA version, so it would probably turn into a Save Jeritza From Hector type deal.

Edit: somehow misread that completely oops

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The characters in FE Warriors were much less of a problem than the movesets. Not that they weren't mostly solid (some were still pretty bad) but that moves were based on weapon type instead of character.

Like even if Hector got in he would've fought just like Lissa and that would've been pretty lame.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The characters in FE Warriors were much less of a problem than the movesets. Not that they weren't mostly solid (some were still pretty bad) but that moves were based on weapon type instead of character.

Like even if Hector got in he would've fought just like Lissa and that would've been pretty lame.
Yeah, on this, I'm sorta glad. Hector is this tall mountain of a man who basically taught himself how to fight and intentionally handicaps himself by predominantly using his non-dominant hand to fight. Him having a similar playstyle than Lissa, Frederick or even Camilla (who canonically speaking does have a relatively similar fighting style, it bears mentioning) it would've been a bummer.

Hopefully Warriors II materializes and if he's included, he plays like the "Warriors" equivalent of a Zangief/grappling character that takes a while to learn to use, but it'll reward you many times over.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also include Arden, with a total Fist-of-the-North-Star slow, dramatical walking speed and just being best boi.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Which would people prefer for showing debuffs. The stat number being reduced and given a down arrow, The number remaining the same but with a -Number next to it, or the number being reduced with a -number next to it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Number remaining the same with a -number next to it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I don't regret the time or money I spent on FE Warriors (I got a collector's edition, shamefully), but I spent WAY more time playing Hyrule Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, FE Warriors isn't like bad, but I vastly preferred Hyrule Warriors to it and spent a lot more time in the latter.