Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

There are jobs actively making the world a worst place, rather than just being as crappy as the rest of them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pendragon posted:

on the other end I was part of a company whose software was basically fintech but the people were awesome and the problems were interesting.

I'm on my third financial job and it's weird because the people overall are the nicest most decent folks compared to the first part of my career spent in tech and startups. I've also had a couple bad jobs at financial companies but in my experience it's easier to find a product team that isn't made up of assholes and wannabe machiavellis plus the product cycles are completely different because at any time a change in regulations can eat up half a year. some of our customers are the worst people in the whole world but no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that

I've mostly worked on internal tools and commercial banking/accounting, I think consumer facing stuff is worse

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Finance might be OK if you stay the gently caress away from traders. I didn't and boy howdy was that miserable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Finance might be OK if you stay the gently caress away from traders. I didn't and boy howdy was that miserable.

yeah my first job at the big bank was doing a fx application, traders are insane. there was a product team between me and them but I saw some poo poo, my favorite was probably the $500 per person ncaa bracket

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

can not quote this enough

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you want your customer to have or be a bureaucracy real bad

bureaucracies shrug at spending 6, 7 figs on sofware and will pay 8, 9, 10 if they have to, and their turbofuck insanity is usually directed inwards, unlike individuals

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you want your customer to have or be a bureaucracy real bad

bureaucracies shrug at spending 6, 7 figs on sofware and will pay 8, 9, 10 if they have to, and their turbofuck insanity is usually directed inwards, unlike individuals

aint this the truth

my boss is sitting on top of a pile of approximately 2 billion local currency but can only ever buy consultants with it

noise dividers can't be requisitioned as they're too expensive

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

got a video interview coming up for an "technical architect" position at the company that makes the software i use daily at current job. first recruiter i talked to made it seem p awesome, but the first contact with the company made it seem a lot more devops-y and server janitoring than anything else, and also the pay was lower than i would expect for the position. gonna get some interview practice in if nothing else

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

local customer company tech interview went so well that they basically told me at the end of it that the biggest hurdle to hiring me was going to be HR. at this point I do have a concern that they won't be able to make me an offer good enough to switch but on the other hand the hiring director is very aware of what we're paid and what the market for our skills looks like. the first time we spoke he mentioned that fighting hr was going to be difficult but he was going to handle it. neat. let's see what they come back with

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

why would they need to "fight" HR, do you have a felony or something

that sounds like an excuse to come back with a super sad salary offer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah agreed. he's trying to lower your expectations and make you think the offer is better than it is. there is no good reason for an interviewer to tell that to a candidate

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yup it's about salary. the reason the talk came up in the first place was because they had one of those bullshit forms that wouldn't let me submit my resume unless i put in a salary expectation. since i know the market, the company, and the team that's hiring i knew the exact number i could enter in without being outright rejected. the hiring manager had to go to HR and request my resume because they initially tried to bin it. during our first conversation he brought that up and said that he thought it was bullshit that they forced us to do that. i said yes, it is bullshit, but that's the number they'd have to offer right now for me to go in blind and blah blah blah which he said he understood and followed by saying he knew i'd be expensive and that if they used their typical salary bands it wouldn't work out at all. he assured me he'd be working the system to give me something like a custom title or whatever to ensure their offer is reasonable.

keep in mind i've had drinks with these guys during sales engagements and have talked shop with them numerous times.

so yeah they're going to have to "bring down" my initial number but that was also meant to be the opening to the negotiation. i would have been shocked if they'd bitten without any pushback

this is one of those cases where it was in my advantage to name a number first. they absolutely would have anchored low if i'd let them open the negotiation

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

if they 'talk me down' 10% off my opening offer i'll still be making more than i am now. 20% and i'm at my current salary to work a job that's so much less stressful i'd still probably take it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if they 'talk me down' 10% off my opening offer i'll still be making more than i am now. 20% and i'm at my current salary to work a job that's so much less stressful i'd still probably take it

I hope they don’t know your username lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol if the hiring manager is one the 75 people browsing yospos then whatever i knew the risks

also quite the assumption that those percentages are accurate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if i am remembering your salary right, the salary you are asking is entry level in the goog for university hires w/ 1 deec internship, and the salary is like 60-80% of the total comp

lol figgielands

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah once you hit FANG comp skyrockets. also you'd have to be in silicon valley

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Qualifications

1+ years of professional experience building software

Must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship

We're not interested in a checklist of experiences, but here is a list of things we use: .NET, C#, Flutter, Dart, SQL Server, Redis, Hangfire, Azure, IdentityServer, Sass, and probably a few more things.

Bottom line: you need to be stellar. If you are grouchy, too political, or don’t admit mistakes, you will hate it here.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Too political means "if you aren't a chud" right

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
85% of that, 10% of are a libertarian, 5% of "inexorable progress of history" liberal.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MononcQc posted:

There are jobs actively making the world a worst place, rather than just being as crappy as the rest of them though.

yeah. for EEs and computer engineers a lot of the jobs out there are government contractors specifically designing a missile for exploding poor countries.

i am sure I have worked on computers that made it into a missile guidance system or something equally terrible, but at least I am not designing the actual weapons for BAE or Lockheed or whatever.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah. for EEs and computer engineers a lot of the jobs out there are government contractors specifically designing a missile for exploding poor countries.

i am sure I have worked on computers that made it into a missile guidance system or something equally terrible, but at least I am not designing the actual weapons for BAE or Lockheed or whatever.

i had an engineering professor who used to fondly say that EEs and MEs design missiles, and civil eng design targets

all his examples were about the force on a missile steering fin, or a feedback loop for positioning of same (i had him for both statics and an early electrical course)

some people are really enthusiastic about it i guess

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah i decided back in college that i wouldn't work on a weapons system or similar unless it was literally the only option available to me to live. one of the reasons i transitioned from ee to programmer

i'm sure some of my work has been used to help do terrible poo poo by someone but at least network monitoring systems don't usually kill or injure anyone directly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i should bump the ethics thread, but for me it was bad enough that i took on a bit of work for an adtech company earlier this year. i lost all enthusiasm (from being in a pretty happy place prior to that) for my work from that brief encounter.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Raluek posted:

i had an engineering professor who used to fondly say that EEs and MEs design missiles, and civil eng design targets

all his examples were about the force on a missile steering fin, or a feedback loop for positioning of same (i had him for both statics and an early electrical course)

some people are really enthusiastic about it i guess

I think that's just part of the 'culture' one of my best friends has a degree in ME and would say that quite often. I loved pointing out that as he was designing turbines for hydroelectric dams that they're pretty much as big of a target as you could get...

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

barkbell posted:

Qualifications

1+ years of professional experience building software

Must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship

We're not interested in a checklist of experiences, but here is a list of things we use: .NET, C#, Flutter, Dart, SQL Server, Redis, Hangfire, Azure, IdentityServer, Sass, and probably a few more things.

Bottom line: you need to be stellar. If you are grouchy, too political, or don’t admit mistakes, you will hate it here.
the only thing i find objectionable in this is the stellar rockstar ninja requirement. i doubt that the employer means any of it though

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
every day before 4pm i open palm slam a smoke bomb and ninja vanish out of the office

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Gazpacho posted:

the only thing i find objectionable in this is the stellar rockstar ninja requirement. i doubt that the employer means any of it though

the last line was the thing I found silly

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I just found out that my codility skills are incredibly rusty. :v:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
who tf uses dart

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

who tf uses dart

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

who tf uses dart

Uhh certainly not me.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

who tf uses dart

Flutter is only major tech that uses dart (probably, too lazy to look up others)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
so who tf uses flutter

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

barkbell posted:

the last line was the thing I found silly

I find it weird that anyone puts stuff like that on a job ad, it comes out as not very specific but also perhaps stinking of paranoia of the guy the job is replacing. Either way it makes you look like a bunch of amateurs who cannot separate insecurities from work.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Xarn posted:

I just found out that my codility skills are incredibly rusty. :v:

nevermind, the provided tasks were piss easy

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

trip report that architect interviews are a lot different than dev interviews. and yeah i aint ready to move towards the devops side of things yet, i just want to write some dang code.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Shaman Linavi posted:

trip report that architect interviews are a lot different than dev interviews. and yeah i aint ready to move towards the devops side of things yet, i just want to write some dang code.

what was the arch interview like?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
The worst part about the "devops" title, is that the people hiring for "devops" don't actually understand what it is.

It's slowly coming around that it's understood that it's a mentality and not some super strict technology adherence, but you'll still see people think "Oh you never worked with X, so you aren't the right fit" when "X" is literally something like "using dart inside of this specific tool".

Then you also get the roles that really want a developer that understands what's needed from the operational side. I'm still mad at how long I sat in an interview where I was asked to write an API with tests, the TF/Ansible for deploying the entire CICD pipeline and deploy the code into the pipeline. I got fed up after I mentioned "I really would do this, but since this is an interview I'm doing this" and the person said "do it how you normally would" and literally didn't comprehend that something of the nature would require like multiple sprints worth of work in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Bored Online posted:

what was the arch interview like?

at least for this place it was more management/business interview then anything i've done for sdev positions. not even like, system design stuff. just how to spin up vms and whatnot on azure (which i dont know much about lol). from what i gathered, a lot of communicating with customers and troubleshooting their environments. idk i guess maybe i dont know what a "architect" position even is?