Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Also recommend Bernhard. I've read Loser, Woodcutters, and Correction - they are quite bleak but I find them actually quite hilarious (because I have a hosed up sense of humour).

I said this in discord but everyone should read the Nocilla Trilogy. Weird Latin American fiction - each book has a different focus and style. Book 1 is about a tree in the desert and about how the universe is a hologram. Book 2 is much more eclectic, but is broadly about pipes and clogs. Book 3 (not yet finished reading) is metafiction about the author of the first 2 books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

blue squares posted:

Does anyone here prefer reading classic literature over contemporary? If so, why? (Define classic however you like).

I've almost exclusively read contemporary literature as an adult. Probably 1 classic to every 20 contemporary novels. I've always felt like I want to hear what people alive today have to say about what it is to be alive today. And contemporary books do a great job of sharing experiences of marginalized people, people in other cultures, etc., which I think is very rewarding and important to growth.

However, lately I have been interested in reading classical lit. Things that have stood the test of time (for a reason, I hope). I've started with Moby Dick.

Modern society is garbage and I don't want to hear about it anymore than I absolutely have to

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ulvir posted:

another extremely bleak suggestion: Osamu Dazai’s No longer human

i really enjoyed this book and its perfect for when youre in the mood to flush yourself down a toilet

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ras Het posted:

Modern society is garbage and I don't want to hear about it anymore than I absolutely have to

i read to be transported to another time where nobody knows about harambe and fidget spinners yet

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

" Modern society is garbage and I don't want to hear about it anymore than I absolutely have to"

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Finicums Wake posted:

puttermesser papers is very good, op

Thank you, I picked this up after another mentioned it as well in here, haven't gotten to it yet though.

Also going to say I read Ann Petry's The Street after it was recommended here and it was a great book.

I installed a little-free-library outside my house a year ago and have found it to be a fun experience. Someone in this neighborhood likes Haruki Murakami a lot. Lots of kids books and pseudo-spiritual self help books of course, though I pulled out Three Farmers On Their Way To A Dance the other day.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

I've been feeling like reading something horrifyingly bleak and pointless.

wouldn't call it pointless, but sofia petrovna by lydia chukovskaya is an excellently bleak book to read and then lie down, stare at the ceiling, and feel like pure poo poo for a while.

it's also <150 pages

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Thank you, I picked this up after another mentioned it as well in here, haven't gotten to it yet though.

Also going to say I read Ann Petry's The Street after it was recommended here and it was a great book.

I installed a little-free-library outside my house a year ago and have found it to be a fun experience. Someone in this neighborhood likes Haruki Murakami a lot. Lots of kids books and pseudo-spiritual self help books of course, though I pulled out Three Farmers On Their Way To A Dance the other day.

The Street was SO good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

After I finish Moby Dick (which owns) I am going to FINALLY read Ulysses for the first time.

Should I read it with some kind of guide or just go for it and try to enjoy it? A couple years back I listened to this podcast called reJoyce that uses 5 minute episodes to go through every single bloody allusion/symbolism/pun in the book. It was cool to see how much depth there is to the writing, but also kind of exhausting.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Having freed myself from my Infinite Jest nightmare, I'm jumping into Berlin Alexanderplatz, a book that I started last year but put down after about 150 pages. Been awhile so just gonna try this from the beginning again. It's real good but it's dense, tough after IJ it kind of puts it all in perspective.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

blue squares posted:

After I finish Moby Dick (which owns) I am going to FINALLY read Ulysses for the first time.

Should I read it with some kind of guide or just go for it and try to enjoy it? A couple years back I listened to this podcast called reJoyce that uses 5 minute episodes to go through every single bloody allusion/symbolism/pun in the book. It was cool to see how much depth there is to the writing, but also kind of exhausting.
Just read the book, don't turn it into some school project.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blue squares posted:

just dive into it imo, it’s funny enough on its own

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo never read anything with a guide

looking stuff up after is fine, or even during breaks. just don't ruin the flow

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I would recommend reading Hamlet before picking up Ulysses, because I had completely forgotten my Shakespeare and got absolutely nothing out of the Hamlet chapter. Odysseia by comparison doesn't seem that important

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

I would recommend reading Hamlet before picking up Ulysses, because I had completely forgotten my Shakespeare and got absolutely nothing out of the Hamlet chapter. Odysseia by comparison doesn't seem that important

I’ve watched Hamlet movies multiple times. Is that good enough?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blue squares posted:

I’ve watched Hamlet movies multiple times. Is that good enough?

Only if the Derek Jacobi BBC version

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

hell half tempted to join you on the read through.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Well I gotta finish Moby Dick first and I got like 9 hours left on my Kindle so give me a week or so

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Bilirubin posted:

Ulysses thread? I have a copy I’ve been meaning to start.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

blue squares posted:

Well I gotta finish Moby Dick first and I got like 9 hours left on my Kindle so give me a week or so

ya no problem finishing up Lincoln in the Bardo right now

The North Tower posted:

Ulysses thread? I have a copy I’ve been meaning to start.

Cool

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

There's a james joyce thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915001

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

N posted:

Antkind is bleak and humorous.

i just started it, and it's funny so far. first work of literary fiction i've encountered that contains the word 'waifu' lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

blue squares posted:

I read Ulysses with beginner-level knowledge of Irish history and Catholicism (basically whatever I learned from reading Portrait of the Artist in college) and the Odyssey itself, and I was still enamored with and moved by it. Just jump in and paddle

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just read the opening chapter of Helen DeWitt’s Lightning Rods and that was one of the funniest things I’ve read in ages. I love comedic books, especially in bad times. Moby Dick is getting hard to read as I near the end.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A propos every Pynchon book I have read: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/12/namibia-rejects-german-compensation-offer-over-colonial-violence

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Idgi

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

what don't you get?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

what don't you get?

What does that have to do with Pynchon?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
The Herero genocide was discussed at length in Gravity's Rainbow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

apophenium posted:

The Herero genocide was discussed at length in Gravity's Rainbow

and came up in V. as well

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

blue squares posted:

Just read the opening chapter of Helen DeWitt’s Lightning Rods and that was one of the funniest things I’ve read in ages. I love comedic books, especially in bad times. Moby Dick is getting hard to read as I near the end.

once you finish it, please let me know, via this thread, whether it's as good as the last samurai, one of the best books of the last few decades. thanks in advance

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I read it and I would say not even close, but maybe that's just me

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Finicums Wake posted:

once you finish it, please let me know, via this thread, whether it's as good as the last samurai, one of the best books of the last few decades. thanks in advance

It’s very silly. I think it’s a great satire and a very fun read, but not that serious of a work of art. I want to read Last Samurai soon. I loved the movie

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Lol

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Finicums Wake posted:

derp and blue squares are right; it's smart and funny, but minor. I'm reading her collection of stories at the moment and, again, it's good but not a patch on The Last Samurai.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

blue squares posted:

I want to read Last Samurai soon. I loved the movie

pls don't own me when i'm just asking for suggestions :(

edit: dewitt's blog is cool and good btw
http://paperpools.blogspot.com/?m=0

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 14, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Finicums Wake posted:

pls don't own me when i'm just asking for suggestions :(

Nah I was just making a throwaway joke about the title

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

big ups to the pandemic going on, maybe I can finally let/make my students form a personal connection to Boccaccio this school year

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ulvir posted:

big ups to the pandemic going on, maybe I can finally let/make my students form a personal connection to Boccaccio this school year

My personal connection to him is that he could have used an editor. Or maybe only 5 days? The stories are really starting to run into one another by day 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
What does this thread recommend re: horror? I think the genre got great potential but I'm always disappointed in what I read. The only exception in recent years is the terrific Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin.