Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

this is the music i'm listening to at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTonGqnbiZw

if you listen to lots of music please share but i will judge you harshly if it's bad.

Is the no fun thing a choice? I don’t have much fun these days myself. Music? Most recently Elliot Smith.. Big Thief. I liked that Julia Jacklin song. Pretty.

Im going to steal a question from Sid Vicious: what is your favorite color?

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 16, 2020

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I don't want to break the rules but I love music ahhh

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

Is the no fun thing a choice? I don’t have much fun these days myself. Music? Most recently Elliot Smith.. Big Thief. I liked that Julia Jacklin song. Pretty.

i started dying when i was 16 if you want to get technical but I pretty much dropped dead on August 31st, 2013 and since then i'm not present in reality so my existence is very much joy, departed.

this is favourite Elliot Smith song. when it comes to music i'm very receptive to lyrics and anything where it's clear the musician is personally invested. i'm an empathy vampire because it's the only way i can feel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iYinvmNBO8

e: purple
ee: never heard of Big Thief, listening to 'Not' rn

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 16, 2020

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

i started dying when i was 16 if you want to get technical but I pretty much dropped dead on August 31st, 2013 and since then i'm not present in reality so my existence is very much joy, departed.

this is favourite Elliot Smith song. when it comes to music i'm very receptive to lyrics and anything where it's clear the musician is personally invested. i'm an empathy vampire because it's the only way i can feel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iYinvmNBO8

e: purple
ee: never heard of Big Thief, listening to 'Not' rn

I only like a few Big Thief songs. I just found Big Thief through a friend. I like folk & folk/indie because the lyrics are a little more complex like poetry (and I am into creative writing) and the musicians seem emotionally connected to the songs. Like Brighteyes? Bob Dylan?

Purple is a deep color. Deep emotion, but heady--lofty ideas.

Do you want to elaborate on the dying thing? I feel like its very personal, and I don't want to pry, but it was sad. I thought maybe you wanted to share? Or maybe I can cheer you up...

What is an empathy vampire?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

:gas: - to echo the poster with the best avatars

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

I only like a few Big Thief songs. I just found Big Thief through a friend. I like folk & folk/indie because the lyrics are a little more complex like poetry (and I am into creative writing) and the musicians seem emotionally connected to the songs. Like Brighteyes? Bob Dylan?

Purple is a deep color. Deep emotion, but heady--lofty ideas.

Do you want to elaborate on the dying thing? I feel like its very personal, and I don't want to pry, but it was sad. I thought maybe you wanted to share? Or maybe I can cheer you up...

What is an empathy vampire?

i tend to avoid things that push too far into folk. hypocritical because listen to a lot of rock adjacent things with folk-rock being a big one (and more than a few folk artists).
i get the desire for poetry, some artists are just poets in disguise and i read a lot of poetry although i'm very critical of many poets and i loathe poetry myself despite being a prolific writer of it.

if you mean the band, Brighteyes, then this is my favourite song of theirs too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_YkDZ1bZM

i don't prescribe any sort of significance to colours. no horoscopes, no tarots. i like purple because it was the favourite colour of someone i love and now it reflects me too, but i did not choose it. i often dream purple but i don't think it means anything.
although, i have heard "Deep emotion, but heady--lofty ideas" ascribed to me before.

my emotional death is a topic far too large and cumbersome for this thread whilst simultaneously being quite trite and pithy. i don't need a friend, or a therapist, i've long known who i am and what it means to me now; no need for a saviour.
an empathy vampire is two words i put together to describe a generalised behaviour that you could understand. as in, i feed on the empathy of others akin to a vampire.

i know i have shared enough to make it seem like i'm fishing for input but in truth i simply don't fear my past so I readily express it if relevant.
i don't really have any questions for you because i don't want a friend. i want to stay alone. again posts in the thread would seem hypocritical, if posts in this thread were to mean anything.

chaos and pretension reign, etc, etc.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

i tend to avoid things that push too far into folk. hypocritical because listen to a lot of rock adjacent things with folk-rock being a big one (and more than a few folk artists).
i get the desire for poetry, some artists are just poets in disguise and i read a lot of poetry although i'm very critical of many poets and i loathe poetry myself despite being a prolific writer of it.

if you mean the band, Brighteyes, then this is my favourite song of theirs too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_YkDZ1bZM

i don't prescribe any sort of significance to colours. no horoscopes, no tarots. i like purple because it was the favourite colour of someone i love and now it reflects me too, but i did not choose it. i often dream purple but i don't think it means anything.
although, i have heard "Deep emotion, but heady--lofty ideas" ascribed to me before.

my emotional death is a topic far too large and cumbersome for this thread whilst simultaneously being quite trite and pithy. i don't need a friend, or a therapist, i've long known who i am and what it means to me now; no need for a saviour.
an empathy vampire is two words i put together to describe a generalised behaviour that you could understand. as in, i feed on the empathy of others akin to a vampire.

i know i have shared enough to make it seem like i'm fishing for input but in truth i simply don't fear my past so I readily express it if relevant.
i don't really have any questions for you because i don't want a friend. i want to stay alone. again posts in the thread would seem hypocritical, if posts in this thread were to mean anything.

chaos and pretension reign, etc, etc.

I write some poetry myself. Brighteyes is a long time favorite of mine. Fevers and Mirrors was mind blowingly good. That's when I found him. I just described what I feel from that color; I don't prescribe any meaning to it myself.

I respect what you are saying. I didn't want to pry or anything; I just didn't know how to respond, but I wanted to be nice about it.

Like I mentioned, this is an experiment. Analyze it how you will. I think it is interesting to see how it plays out (if it does at all). I think you are an interesting poster. I am open to keep talking if you are.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

I write some poetry myself. Brighteyes is a long time favorite of mine. Fevers and Mirrors was mind blowingly good. That's when I found him. I just described what I feel from that color; I don't prescribe any meaning to it myself.

I respect what you are saying. I didn't want to pry or anything; I just didn't know how to respond, but I wanted to be nice about it.

Like I mentioned, this is an experiment. Analyze it how you will. I think it is interesting to see how it plays out (if it does at all). I think you are an interesting poster. I am open to keep talking if you are.

yeah i'm real fascinating, can't wait to hear what i have to say.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jWcIDqXq0

?

For someone who has undergone an emotional death, you have quite a good taste for beautifully composed emotional music.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

fart

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

...waiting for someone cool to post...

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

where are the cool poster

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jWcIDqXq0

?

For someone who has undergone an emotional death, you have quite a good taste for beautifully composed emotional music.

listening to music, writing and dreaming are the only things available to me. these songs are my emotions.
besides, i haven't always done it alone. i've had beautiful people like you to expand my world.

i didn't used to devout myself to these things, it is born out of necessity to fill a mind. idle moments are unbearable for me now and invite madness.
so i listen to music at all times unless i can preoccupy myself equally. even as i sleep. it used to stop my nightmares but that luxury has long been lost to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGICFCqGyaE

i understand more now with that Lana Del Rey song about your appreciating longer form poetry. i'm often satisfied with aphorism, a hollow bon mot and a rhyming couplet.
my relationship with poetry is complicated.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

clammy posted:

where are the cool poster
Whats a good way to seem cool on my next account

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Daikloktos posted:

Whats a good way to seem cool on my next account

why can't you just be cool on this account OH gently caress now i have to talk to you

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

welp, how's it going Daikloktos?

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

listening to music, writing and dreaming are the only things available to me. these songs are my emotions.
besides, i haven't always done it alone. i've had beautiful people like you to expand my world.

i didn't used to devout myself to these things, it is born out of necessity to fill a mind. idle moments are unbearable for me now and invite madness.
so i listen to music at all times unless i can preoccupy myself equally. even as i sleep. it used to stop my nightmares but that luxury has long been lost to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGICFCqGyaE

i understand more now with that Lana Del Rey song about your appreciating longer form poetry. i'm often satisfied with aphorism, a hollow bon mot and a rhyming couplet.
my relationship with poetry is complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8coOFGTguo

I spend my time similarly lately. I love writing. & I relate to you about music. Something similar to this just came up in another thread actually. I love what music does for me.

Are you a fan of Ezra Pound? His personal leanings aside, I think his imagist poetry is pretty ok speaking of aphorism. I am partial to modernist works in general, though; however, I read more fiction than poetry.

But, I like both minimalism and maximalism in writing--from Carver or William Carlos Williams to DFW or Ginsberg.

e: I sleep with the TV on lately, but I have vowed to myself to fall asleep listening to an audiobook or music one day soon!

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 16, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

IM NOT HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS, PAL <:mad:>

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

clammy posted:

welp, how's it going Daikloktos?
Fantastic, actually. Been posting less the past week and re engaging with some hobbies I'd put aside.

Clicking through your history I never realized you posted around so widely. It's nice you're willing to validate the grey forums, I get worried how balkanized the community is.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Daikloktos posted:

Fantastic, actually. Been posting less the past week and re engaging with some hobbies I'd put aside.

Clicking through your history I never realized you posted around so widely. It's nice you're willing to validate the grey forums, I get worried how balkanized the community is.

i feel like it used to be back in the day but it's less so now due to depopulation

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8coOFGTguo

I spend my time similarly lately. I love writing. & I relate to you about music. Something similar to this just came up in another thread actually. I love what music does for me.

Are you a fan of Ezra Pound? His personal leanings aside, I think his imagist poetry is pretty ok speaking of aphorism. I am partial to modernist works in general, though; however, I read more fiction than poetry.

But, I like both minimalism and maximalism in writing--from Carver or William Carlos Williams to DFW or Ginsberg.

e: I sleep with the TV on lately, but I have vowed to myself to fall asleep listening to an audiobook or music one day soon!

i have found epic poetry unfulfilling. i've read Dante's 'Divine Comedy' and Keat's 'Hyperion' so the thought of reading 'The Cantos' is unappealing. especially as many remain unfinished or uneven. I'm more receptive to poem in prose like Rimbaud's 'A Season in Hell' but even that degrades rapidly in quality. i think not being able to read (not well enough, at least) the original Tuscan or French detracts from those a lot, but still. if you have something in particular you want to share that isn't 116 sections long, i would read it.

i'm not concerned with the political views or even individual actions of the artists i appreciate since i've yet to meet someone who wasn't both beautiful and flawed. not to mention once i consume their art it becomes mine so i experience no moral dilemma in that sense.
it helps i do not venerate or idolise anything or anyone. nothing is sacred to me.

i'll leave you with the introduction to 'Une Saison en Enfer' i translated and interpreted myself. it's not 'technically' correct, but it's mine.

quote:

Once, if I recall correctly, my life was a feast where all hearts opened, and all wines flowed.
One evening I sat Beauty upon my knees.
I found her bitter
I insulted her
I fought against justice. I fled.
To misery, to hate, it is to you I entrusted my heart.
I made all hope and humanity vanish in my mind.
I took joy in strangling it with the deft leap of a ferocious beast.
I appealed to my executioners, as I perished, to bite their own rifles.

I called forth plagues, to choke me with sand and blood.
Misfortune was my god, I lay in the mud, I dried myself in the scene of the crime.
I played some good tricks when I was mad, and spring gave me the dreadful laugh of an idiot.

But lately, I've found myself on the verge of making one last joke.
I dreamt of searching for the key to that ancient feast, where I might gain my appetite once again.
Kindness is the key. This insight proves I have been dreaming.

"You're a hyena still!" exclaimed the demon who crowned me with sweet flowers.
"Earn death with your appetite; your egotism, all the deadly sins."
I took too much.

But, dear Satan, I beg you.
While you await my few cowardly little deeds,
you who loves the absence of descriptive or instructive faculties in a writer, for you,
I tear off these few hideous pages from my diary of a damned soul.

(i'm very much enjoying Modest Mouse, thank you)

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

my posting partner isn't posting :(

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

clammy posted:

i feel like it used to be back in the day but it's less so now due to depopulation
It's like when I talk to my elderly coworkers in my small rural town and they'll tell me about all these families and institutions that barely exist anymore. I'm glad I get to experience that sort of thing on internet forums so hopefully I'll be less lost in my old age when my community moves on into the future without me.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Daikloktos posted:

It's like when I talk to my elderly coworkers in my small rural town and they'll tell me about all these families and institutions that barely exist anymore. I'm glad I get to experience that sort of thing on internet forums so hopefully I'll be less lost in my old age when my community moves on into the future without me.

it was fun but also there was a fascistic flavor to it that made it also kind of suck

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

clammy posted:

it was fun but also there was a fascistic flavor to it that made it also kind of suck
Well those will likely also be useful lessons to the future

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Daikloktos posted:

Well those will likely also be useful lessons to the future

well played

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Linux Pirate posted:

I don't think there's a buddy for me ITT

I'm gonna fuckin post all over you

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who is my buddy. Where's my buddy. Pspspsp hey buddy. Where's my sweet little buddy. Come here buddy psspspsps

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sony PSP

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Eat my rear end op

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
buddddddddddddyyyyyyyy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

buddddddddddddyyyyyyyy

Hello you're my buddy. What did you do today

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

i have found epic poetry unfulfilling. i've read Dante's 'Divine Comedy' and Keat's 'Hyperion' so the thought of reading 'The Cantos' is unappealing. especially as many remain unfinished or uneven. I'm more receptive to poem in prose like Rimbaud's 'A Season in Hell' but even that degrades rapidly in quality. i think not being able to read (not well enough, at least) the original Tuscan or French detracts from those a lot, but still. if you have something in particular you want to share that isn't 116 sections long, i would read it.

i'm not concerned with the political views or even individual actions of the artists i appreciate since i've yet to meet someone who wasn't both beautiful and flawed. not to mention once i consume their art it becomes mine so i experience no moral dilemma in that sense.
it helps i do not venerate or idolise anything or anyone. nothing is sacred to me.

i'll leave you with the introduction to 'Une Saison en Enfer' i translated and interpreted myself. it's not 'technically' correct, but it's mine.

(i'm very much enjoying Modest Mouse, thank you)

I am glad you liked the song. Here is a song from an Isaac Brock side project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IjnnDzmODk

Pound's more brief imagist poems are what I had in mind. Like these:

In a Station of the Metro

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

Alba

As cool as the pale wet leaves
of lily-of-the-valley
She lay beside me in the dawn.

Reflection

I know that what Nietzsche said is true,
And yet
I saw the face of a little child in the street,
And it was beautiful.

I have researched and studied Symbolist poetry (though it has been a long while) and found the major poets (Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Mallarme, and Verlaine) and their works to be highly fascinating as well as their lives and how they constructed their style. I agree, translations take away from the purity of the original version, but I am excited to read someone's personal translation. Have you ever translated anything from Les Fleurs du mal? I completely agree with you when you talk about separation of art from the artist. I could not have put it better. I threw that in my post to obviate the need for a conversation about Pound's personal life--A lot of people do not separate the two. Do you read fiction as well?

e: It is a shame how realistic that view is: nothing is sacred.

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 16, 2020

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

titties posted:

I'm gonna fuckin post all over you

Bring it the gently caress on, buddy.

titties
May 10, 2012

Linux Pirate posted:

Bring it the gently caress on, buddy.

Please tell me how you feel about the following:

Catsup
The cooking of steak
Chili beans
Mayonnaise
Acceptable pizza toppings

titties
May 10, 2012

Thank you for being my friend

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think so too, Brad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

titties posted:

Please tell me how you feel about the following:

Catsup
The cooking of steak
Chili beans
Mayonnaise
Acceptable pizza toppings

titties posted:

Thank you for being my friend

You're a pal and a confidante.

1: Fine I guess. I'm more of a mustard man.
2: Rare to medium-rare only.
3: Any bean is serine.
4: Only acceptable in very specific settings.
5: Pepperoni, sausage, spinach, artichoke, black olives, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, pepperoncinis, anchovies (never tried em) . And only NY style pizza, non of that Chicago bullshit. I've never tried hawaiian pizza but would at least once. I get the hate, but for me it's hotdogs on pizzas or ham and BBQ that raise my ire. I love BBQ just not on pizza.

Ok now tell me how you feel about

Burritos and your favorite ingredients
Your feelings on bad old movies
Favorite alcoholic beverage or cocktail
Drug of choice
Fruit rollups, gushers, or fruit by the foot?
Your feelings on chumbawamba's tubthumping