Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

starbucks hermit posted:

does anyone know offhand how the driver interfaces for sound devices changed at around 5.3? Sometime late last year or early this year?

I found a sound driver for an rpi accessory that loads via dkms and apparently it worked in Nov 2019 but it doesn't compile today. I'll probably rewrite the driver but I'm having trouble finding any modern documentation about the new framework and how it differs from the old one.

Frankly, I expect to be zero documentation but it doesn't hurt to hope. sometimes.

the truest linux experience. it works for everyone else, but the driver for your specific hardware hasn't compiled in months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i fondly remember trying to get wifi working on a relatively common chipset in fedora in 2008 or so and discovering that the driver wouldn't compile, and every single step in the chain of dependencies was also broken in some way. possibly the most linux experience of all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I remember having to use a wrapper for the broadcom wifi chipset, and hunting down the needed firmware on all kinds of :filez: sites because it was technically a violation of the license to extract for use in linux

WiFi always gives me more issues than sound

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
take my wifi... please!!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BobHoward posted:

idk why there needs to be any bashful groveling over it. the subject line "[PATCH] fs: NTFS read-write driver GPL implementation" already promises a giant chunk of code. ntfs is well known to be a complex fs, any reasonably featured implementation isn't going to be a small patch

also it's not even a PR, it's a gift and nobody is obligated to take it. even if paragon doesn't want to assist in the process of integrating it into a mainline status kernel driver, it's cool and good that they provided it, imo

considering that it doesn't build without finagling things and doesn't work when it is built, this feels like the "throw it over the fence and maybe someone will fix it for free" open source model

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the raspi ecosystem is the jankiest poo poo imaginable, that's a whole other thing than just 'linux'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psiox posted:

the raspi ecosystem is the jankiest poo poo imaginable, that's a whole other thing than just 'linux'

the raspi ecosystem is the best documented and developed for embedded target

dehumanize yourself and face to out of tree nda encrusted drivers

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

the truest linux experience. it works for everyone else, but the driver for your specific hardware hasn't compiled in months

that's the dkms experience :smith:

psiox posted:

not gonna lie, its target is only hobbyists interested in the latest toys

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

starbucks hermit posted:

not gonna lie, its target is only hobbyists interested in the latest toys

only because broadcom doesn't want to sell chips in quantities that don't have 5 digits

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I was looking for older headers so that I could just get this thing to work (just wanted to make sure the hardware was ok) and apparently they only keep around the latest headers and kernel in the online repositories.

I gave up looking for older packages once it's clear that they'd take me too much time to find.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

psiox posted:

This is absolutely 100% complete and utter horseshit. You are ignorant and dumb.

It’s the entire embedded ecosystem that’s janky. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Really your best bet with any embedded Linux device is to use an imx processor with the mainline kernel or a vendor provided kernel and stick with that. Never try to use a mainline kernel in an embedded system from any company that isn’t actively working to mainline their drivers.

Edit:

If you don’t need video, then mainline is usually just fine for the majority of embedded devices. Things only get real janky when video encoding/decoding is involved.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 15, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I remember having to use a wrapper for the broadcom wifi chipset, and hunting down the needed firmware on all kinds of :filez: sites because it was technically a violation of the license to extract for use in linux

WiFi always gives me more issues than sound
Ndiswrapper. I had totally forgotten about that.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ratbert90 posted:

This is absolutely 100% complete and utter horseshit. You are ignorant and dumb.

It’s the entire embedded ecosystem that’s janky. :v:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have to admit though. It's incredibly impressive of them to still release software that will still work on the original raspberry pi.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol if you’re surprised by arm11s still being in things

:smithicide:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Raspberry pis were literally created to help kids learn to computer and fuckers went and put them in HVAC systems

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you build a cheap enough computer, someone will use it for something inappropriate

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

hobbesmaster posted:

more like ARM7s still being in things, really

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

arms11

Private Speech posted:

arms7

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Endless Mike posted:

arms11

arms7

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Private Speech posted:

as in armv3

jfc

i thought launching new products based on armv5 in 2019 was bad

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

hobbesmaster posted:

as in armv3

jfc

i thought launching new products based on armv5 in 2019 was bad

https://eu.mouser.com/new/nxp-semiconductors/nxp-lpc23xx-arm7-mcus/

I like how it says "newest products"

e:

quote:

... these powerful ARM7™ based microcontrollers (MCUs) ...
ARM7TDMI-S processor, running at up to 72MHz

quote:

Year:1994 ARM7TDMI
Year:2001 ARM7TDMI-S

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 17, 2020

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

infernal machines posted:

if you build a [...] computer, someone will use it for something inappropriate

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you build IT, he will cum

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

honestly it's not bad as far as low-powered MCUs go, if a bit pricey

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

maybe we should talk about this

WIP: GLX Delay (accelerated GLX for Xwayland with the NVIDIA driver)

... it's just weird, but... whatever needs to be done to have a modern desktop on binary nvidia i guess

if only they could commit to nouveau so someone would not feel compelled to make such a frankenstein's monster

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
bash is freedom

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
with a stable kernel ABI you wouldn’t have to worry about random driver breakage because a vendor could reasonably expect their driver to work from release to release and distribution to distribution

and Richard “foot eating, pedophile defense, and tender embraces” Stallman worshipping zealots could stop trying to get everyone else to donate their source code to the GPL

of course we all know what happens when someone actually does try to submit a substantial amount of code to Linux like, say, read-write NTFS support

maybe it’s time for the BSDs to make overtures to NVidia about stable driver ABIs for x86_64 and AArch64, if that could be made to happen then Linux and other OSes could just adopt it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eschaton posted:

with a stable kernel ABI you wouldn’t have to worry about random driver breakage because a vendor could reasonably expect their driver to work from release to release and distribution to distribution

and Richard “foot eating, pedophile defense, and tender embraces” Stallman worshipping zealots could stop trying to get everyone else to donate their source code to the GPL

of course we all know what happens when someone actually does try to submit a substantial amount of code to Linux like, say, read-write NTFS support

maybe it’s time for the BSDs to make overtures to NVidia about stable driver ABIs for x86_64 and AArch64, if that could be made to happen then Linux and other OSes could just adopt it

just like clockwork

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PS4 already runs FreeBSD, which presumably has a killer AMD gpu driver for BSD. But why design and release a stable ABI when you can just close source the whole OS? No one is running BSD on the desktop at scale to make a stable ABI for video drivers of any use.

And google is already working on a stable ABI for Linux and maybe their other new OS. If you really want to see what a stable ABI for Linux will look like, you will likely see one soon enough.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Speaking of clockwork, I'm going to perform the forbidden ritual.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I twirl three times in front of a mirror and say, in a low voice, "Ubuntu is good. You should install it. LTS versions are dependable and secure."

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

haha

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

haven't seen nbsd in a while, did he return after that month long probe?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I once interviewed for a local branch of a billion-dollar Taiwanese company making (among many other things) wireless routers/gateways for industrial use, and they told me they are using Ubuntu LTS on ARM on it. And that it's perfectly fine "just a version of debian" when I questioned it. I was seriously thinking they were either joking or testing me but apparently no?

They were absolute garbage in a lot of other ways too (trying to underpay me massively from the initial salary offer and then ghosting me, awful management structure, literally scoffing when I asked about employee benefits) The interview problems were utter garbage too, they seemed surprised how much I knew about C++ when I was applying for an embedded C++ position. Also were a bit insulting when turning me down. All in all the singular worst interview experience I ever had, probably should have walked out halfway through TBH.

that's about it for my experience with Ubuntu LTS, thank you for reading my rant

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 25, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Private Speech posted:

they seemed surprised how much I knew about C++ when I was applying for an embedded C++ position

this is.. not surprising at all sadly

last interview i had with a big company, i arrived like 20 minutes late for my problems solving part because bus was late and the guy was a bit worried. i finished by noon and we got to talk a bit over lunch and he wasn't bothered by my lateness but rather was worried because all the people before me took until 6pm and still didn't solve half the problems so he figured 20 minutes might be valuable lol

it was really simple poo poo, too. i got 2 liveusb laptops, a freshly installed lunix pc, and a managed switch. "make 2 vlans, setup up a dhcp on the pc and make it a router that routes http traffic between otherwise isolated subnets the laptops are on, set up a ldap server, auth users against it". i think most time was spent reading the switch docs to figure out its ios-but-not-really dialect lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

haven't seen nbsd in a while, did he return after that month long probe?

got banned as well and already before the ban expressed the opinion that reregistering while lowtax gets the money would be immoral. also said goodbyes, so not at all clear if he'll return in a possible jeffrey era either.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Truga posted:

this is.. not surprising at all sadly

last interview i had with a big company, i arrived like 20 minutes late for my problems solving part because bus was late and the guy was a bit worried. i finished by noon and we got to talk a bit over lunch and he wasn't bothered by my lateness but rather was worried because all the people before me took until 6pm and still didn't solve half the problems so he figured 20 minutes might be valuable lol

it was really simple poo poo, too. i got 2 liveusb laptops, a freshly installed lunix pc, and a managed switch. "make 2 vlans, setup up a dhcp on the pc and make it a router that routes http traffic between otherwise isolated subnets the laptops are on, set up a ldap server, auth users against it". i think most time was spent reading the switch docs to figure out its ios-but-not-really dialect lol

Networking is fascinating to me (I made a career out of developing for it) but I meet programmers of all stripes and qualifications and their brains turn off at the mention of networking.

Managed switches are great but it would be nice to put some ad hoc documentation somewhere on it besides taping a piece of paper on it to explain the configuration. I've read a lot of switch and routing configs that are so much redundant and confusing crap. And the funniest part is asking the original sysadmin (sometimes myself) what it all means and all you get is a shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's fun using mikrotik stuff, wherein a firmware update can completely change the way rules are applied and it's possible for a formerly working configuration to suddenly stop after an update. the documentation is basically a wiki and the examples range from obviously wrong to subtly but insidiously wrong, and community support is via the kind of absolute grognards that post on community support forums.

all in all they're great products, and i'd recommend them over anything else anywhere near the price point, which should probably say a lot about the state of smb and low-end infrastructure networking

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 25, 2020