Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh no the skeleton war has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

I'm gonna stop posting Fort Knox for now. It's sucked the whole time, but not in an interesting way, and now that gocomics removed it we have to settle for crappy ArcaMax size. I've got some other garbage to post in its place for a little while.

Strontium fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 16, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

What is the "charterstone", anyway?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Strontium posted:

I'm gonna stop posting Fort Knox for now. It's sucked the whole time, but not in an interesting way, and now that gocomics removed it we have to settle for crappy ArcaMax size. I've got some other garbage to post in its place for a little while.

did anyone ever find out why it got removed?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Discendo Vox posted:

that's the name of the condo complex they live in.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

You’re right, Zelda. The impending climate disaster is reason enough to cancel any and all leisure we silly humans dare to reward ourselves with. We can start with holidays across the Atlantic, seems a good way to lead by example.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goodbye Fort Knox, no one will miss you.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh gently caress off OBH.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I was going to make a joke about how Fort Knox is no great loss, but instead I'll ask: do we have :jerkbag: but with it also giving the finger? Because it feels like that'd be appropriate.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

readingatwork posted:

I went and made the pullapitko bread:

I've never had it before so I have no clue if I made it right but it's not bad! It's lightly sweet with a hint of cardamom giving it a unique flavor I'd never tasted before. I'd definitely recommend trying it if you see it in a bakery or something (or are a masochist like me and don't mind wasting half a day on this poo poo.)

Now I just need to figure out what to do with 3 whole loaves of this stuff...

You can always turn it into french toast or bread pudding if you don't want to eat it all just like that!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

You’re right, Zelda. The impending climate disaster is reason enough to cancel any and all leisure we silly humans dare to reward ourselves with. We can start with holidays across the Atlantic, seems a good way to lead by example.

To be fair, Zelda was shown to have a guilty conscience about flying across the Atlantic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Alhazred posted:

To be fair, Zelda was shown to have a guilty conscience about flying across the Atlantic.

But not guilty enough to not do it, I suppose.

I just think it’s sort of asinine the way Nordenstam sometimes brings up important issues. By framing sunbathers as unconcerned with global warming, she’s essentially guilt tripping people for having a good time, without considering what said people might do at other times. Especially glaring since the voice of reason in this context (Zelda) actively decides to go on a foreign holiday, despite knowing (and caring) about the ethical ramifications.

I feel like Zelda often has good morals, but in a sort of token “good because you’re supposed to” sort of way. Sometimes her points fall apart at the slightest consideration (such as her “humanity should go back to hunter/gatherer societies! We came from such a background, clearly we can return no problem?! thing a few weeks back). Even in these comics, a lot of the times her dissenting friend is shown in a bad light, with Zelda knowingly looks at the reader in a bemused expression.

I like Zelda but more often then not it’s not nearly as clever as it thinks it is.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

The LA Times puts up a PDF here. But after a certain number of page views they ask you to login with a subscription. Many papers have this option, so if anyone has a subscription to one it'd be relatively easy to pull the comics.

I just learned to my great shock and annoyance that Boss Dharma comics are also available on the Sports Dongah website in this exact same format. It just never occurred that I could find them there because I didn't know such options existed. This was why I could never figure out the pattern for those PDF files- I wasn't supposed to be inputting an address myself, their system generates it whenever I want to look at a pdf version of a specific newsprint page.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The good news is it's much easier to scroll past my posts now. The bad news is that no one will ever be able to figure out the panel order anymore.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

whoever pulls the sword from it is rightwise president of the HOA

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That bread looks amazing and I want some.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (February 12-16, 1996)

Pause strips! I just want to note something that bothers me. Fiona's moving away because her dad is "being transferred back to his natural habitat in mideast."

Fiona's dad is a Fennec. This is the natural habitat of the Fennec:

Which part of that is "the mideast"? Especially considering that in later strips we'll see "the mideast" and it has Arabian Nights style architecture. It just bugs me.

Ok, got that off my chest. Resume strips!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I guess the Sinai is part of the Middle East if you're being very generous.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are a few dozen heavily armed raiders coming up the cliff. We are two elderly knights, a young man who prefers the scholarly pursuits, and a woman who - while more than capable in combat - is completely unequipped for battle.

Let's pick a fight. It should be a walkover.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

There are a few dozen heavily armed raiders coming up the cliff. We are two elderly knights, a young man who prefers the scholarly pursuits, and a woman who - while more than capable in combat - is completely unequipped for battle.

Let's pick a fight. It should be a walkover.

Normally I'd agree with you, but this is Val. It's like saying there's an old man who runs a curio shop, totally alone, and 10 bad dudes swarm the place.

We already know who the winner is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

ACE

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/15/00

Brenda Starr 8/2/42

Wow, who would have imagined the guy who won Brenda's love by beating her up would prove to be a controlling rear end in a top hat?

Also, it looks as if the question of why Eric posed as the Cupid in the first place can join "Where did the bomb come from?" on the pile of questions that Messick isn't going to answer.

Smokey Stover 3/7/37

Edge of Nunya Bizniz

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Doll House Ghost posted:

You can always turn it into french toast or bread pudding if you don't want to eat it all just like that!

That is a brilliant idea, thank you!

I unironically love how hedious that dog is.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 12, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 18-19, 1988)

More evidence for the Uncle Max is gay theory.

Robbie and Bobby

(Jun 7, 2016)

(Aug 16, 2020)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Some Guy TT posted:

I just learned to my great shock and annoyance that Boss Dharma comics are also available on the Sports Dongah website in this exact same format. It just never occurred that I could find them there because I didn't know such options existed. This was why I could never figure out the pattern for those PDF files- I wasn't supposed to be inputting an address myself, their system generates it whenever I want to look at a pdf version of a specific newsprint page.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The good news is it's much easier to scroll past my posts now. The bad news is that no one will ever be able to figure out the panel order anymore.

I cannot believe I've been doxxed by a Boss Dharma, you leave me and my double chins alone

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Did we ever learn about what happened to Huey and Riley's parents? Is it a Hewey, Dewey and Louie situation?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Alhazred posted:

Did we ever learn about what happened to Huey and Riley's parents? Is it a Hewey, Dewey and Louie situation?

I believe they died in a car accident

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alhazred posted:

You mean their mom got lost on the moon for over a decade?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 31, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 31, 1998)

Garfield Classic (December 31, 1988)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

No Monty on gocomics today??

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Rae the Doe's web archives

Comfort Food

Chocolate and Peanut Butter

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

too loud.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

(Warning: humour about implied sexual assault)

Bummer about that. :(

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We were discussing Lio earlier.

I bought this print and had it framed for my Mom, when it came out in 2009:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol: Rae the Doe is definitely my kind of humor.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I'm pretty sure this is the last James Allen.

Mary Worth

Awwww

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

As worthless as Newspaper Spider-Man's spidey sense.

Rex Morgan MD

So begins the story "The Death of Rex Morgan."

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Why would he set charges to blow out the zoo wall?

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

But not guilty enough to not do it, I suppose.

I just think it’s sort of asinine the way Nordenstam sometimes brings up important issues. By framing sunbathers as unconcerned with global warming, she’s essentially guilt tripping people for having a good time, without considering what said people might do at other times. Especially glaring since the voice of reason in this context (Zelda) actively decides to go on a foreign holiday, despite knowing (and caring) about the ethical ramifications.

I feel like Zelda often has good morals, but in a sort of token “good because you’re supposed to” sort of way. Sometimes her points fall apart at the slightest consideration (such as her “humanity should go back to hunter/gatherer societies! We came from such a background, clearly we can return no problem?! thing a few weeks back). Even in these comics, a lot of the times her dissenting friend is shown in a bad light, with Zelda knowingly looks at the reader in a bemused expression.

I like Zelda but more often then not it’s not nearly as clever as it thinks it is.

She's using Morrissey lyrics for those strips, so smug and self-righteous kind of comes naturally...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, the new feature nobody asked for, How To Read 9 Chickweed Lane.

2. The Gag.

(Yeah, let's pretend to talk about that today.)

A. Context

Before the cartoonist puts pen to paper (or stylus to tablet), before the cartoonist flood-fills the perfect gradient, before the cartoonist does anything fruitful, the cartoonist first must think. The ability to generate awful concepts is at the core of the creative practice.

In a 2017 interview, the most extensive one that you can stumble across by accident, McEldowney is predictably loquacious on all the facets of his creations except for the creative spark itself. "I don't know how I come up with stories. Things happen as I write, little thoughts lead to big ones, incidentals become central events. They just happen. They are very fluid."

It seems that 9CL pulled from a broader variety of premises to make those things happen in past years, or maybe it's just my imagination. I would be required to read the entire output to confirm this, which is a path to madness. So yes, expect that to happen in the not-too-distant future.

B. Text

Of the themes that haven't fallen by the wayside, the pet strips tend to be the least revolting of the recent years' output. The humans, more often than not, are insufferable pedants, hothouse flowers distant from the hopes and concerns of the standard people in your neighborhood, and their actions and obsessions reflect that. Brooke's cats and dogs, on the other hand, are recognizably cats and dogs...even if, in this case, you can't place the breed to save your life.

(May 9, 2017)

Today's installment is spawned from the "happiness is a warm puppy" template. The inspiring spark is the ubiquitous auto-correct feature, the presence of the smartphone one of the rare indicators that we're anchored to a 21st-century reality. The extra real estate of the Sunday page allows Edda to cycle through a wider variety of reactions than you'd get with the four-panel format. Amos's expression, as usual, reads as "dull surprise".

It probably says something that this set of human characters can only be their best selves when other people aren't involved. It would be tempting to also view that as a reflection of the author, just like it would be tempting to ask how often Edda--a first time mother of newborns, if you've already forgotten--entered "adopt" into her phone to the point that her keyboard just assumed that's what she was talking about again. But that type of conjecture would take us off the page.

In short, I know what I hate, and I don't hate this.

Moral: Your brain-babies demand to be born. Whether they should be taken out in public or not is another debate altogether.

( *sigh* That was kind of a reach, and I suspect that's going to be a pattern in these. But anyway...)

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (August 19, 1973)

You Totally Knew This Was The Other Shoe About To Drop-bean

Crankshaft

Life (With Skippy) (August 7, 1924)

Also In This Issue:

"They can say what they like--God certainly does bat out some elegant scenery."

(Another Fred Cooper masterpiece.)