Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wiltsghost posted:

No, Nico won fair and square although there is a large contingent here that will never admit that.
Are those the Thread Elders previously referenced? Disappointing that so many would deny the obvious truth of Nico's masterclass performance. A true chess player who knew how and where to pick his battles with an eye on the championship prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So for you guys that have many many more years experience of watching F1 than me, whats the solution to better racing? Or is the racing ok right now? I’m just curious because I’m starting to really get into this for the first time.

My wife and I go to a local short track for Modified racing every week and she sees F1 and says “ok so Hamilton is gong to win right?”. I like Lewis but I also like racing and I’m just curious how the F1 veterans feel about the current dominance.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Are those the Thread Elders previously referenced? Disappointing that so many would deny the obvious truth of Nico's masterclass performance. A true chess player who knew how and where to pick his battles with an eye on the championship prize.

Yeah, I was debating using "large contingent." Probably should have just left that part off. There are definitely a few posters that fit the bill though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wiltsghost posted:

No, Nico won fair and square although there is a large contingent here that will never admit that.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Nico worked his rear end off in 2016 compared to Lewis taking it pretty easy after he won the title in 2015.

Nico also benefited from Mercedes swapping all of the mechanics from one side of the garage to the other, and also having one less retirement/mechanical issue.

I don't give a poo poo either way that Nico won, but that is the basics of what happened over the course of 2016.

You can argue that the mechanics swap helped Nico, but I've not looked into it any more than a cursory glance, so overall it may have had no impact on the season.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
bottas is so bad that frogman is beating him with an inferior car who should be fighting against racing point if they had better drivers, Hamilton is racing alone.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Douchebag posted:

So for you guys that have many many more years experience of watching F1 than me, whats the solution to better racing? Or is the racing ok right now? I’m just curious because I’m starting to really get into this for the first time.

My wife and I go to a local short track for Modified racing every week and she sees F1 and says “ok so Hamilton is gong to win right?”. I like Lewis but I also like racing and I’m just curious how the F1 veterans feel about the current dominance.

The racing right now is the worst it ever has been in my opinion. The cars aren't designed to follow each other, its the fundamental problem. In my opinion the most organic simplistic solution is to take away the blue flag as it would force a rethink of a lot of the "running in clean air 100% of the time" design philosophy of the current cars and move the bulk of the field towards being able to follow the other cars consistently. although given the advantage the big three have on the rest of the field I'd probably now question whether that would work. The tyres probably need to be reworked as well, the whole artificial pit stop strategy nonsense needs to go, it was a bandaid solution and now the wound is gangrene.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Funny how MotoGP consistently shits on F1 from a great height for racing spectacle even with a dominant rider and without contrived technological "solutions" like DRS and mandatory pit stops from lovely tyres

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 17, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

the corona quid posted:

The racing right now is the worst it ever has been in my opinion. The cars aren't designed to follow each other, its the fundamental problem. In my opinion the most organic simplistic solution is to take away the blue flag as it would force a rethink of a lot of the "running in clean air 100% of the time" design philosophy of the current cars and move the bulk of the field towards being able to follow the other cars consistently. although given the advantage the big three have on the rest of the field I'd probably now question whether that would work. The tyres probably need to be reworked as well, the whole artificial pit stop strategy nonsense needs to go, it was a bandaid solution and now the wound is gangrene.

1) institute single chassis/aero model for all cars
2) offer 2/3 engine manufacturers with a v little performance difference between them, run them well below max performance.
3) add greater track diversity
4)Limit development to a few mostly meaningless parts
5) Rename the series -- "FORMULA 1" sounds like math, name it after its most famous race, the series should be called MonacoCar or even just MonaCar

6) realize that sucks

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
real solution: CCP team

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 17, 2020

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

ROFLBOT posted:

Funny how MotoGP consistently shits on F1 from a great height for racing spectacle even with a dominant rider and without contrived technological "solutions" like DRS and mandatory pit stops from lovely tyres

MotoGP has been phenomenal this year.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For every point a driver receives in the championship standings, they receive a 5 pound sandbag added to their car for the next race. So by the end the lovely Ferrari drivers will have the weight advantage.

F1 fixed! You can thank me later.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

the corona quid posted:

MotoGP has been phenomenal this year.

I picked a drat good year to start watching it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
as a newbie, drs is hard to understand/keep track of

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Wiltsghost posted:

I picked a drat good year to start watching it.

It’s been pretty consistently good since I’ve started watching. I watched Philip Island on a whim in 2015 and fell in love with it as soon as I saw Iannone head butt that seagull.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rinkles posted:

If you're within one second of the car in front of you just before a DRS zone (usually the longest straights on the track), your rear wing can open and you go faster for a few seconds. That's it.

There are a few rules about when it's enabled (not on the first couple of laps, or right after a safety car ends), but they're not really important.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

WhiteHowler posted:

If you're within one second of the car in front of you just before a DRS zone (usually the longest straights on the track), your rear wing can open and you go faster for a few seconds. That's it.

There are a few rules about when it's enabled (not on the first couple of laps, or right after a safety car ends), but they're not really important.

It's hard to keep track of during the race with the focus of the coverage constantly changing. Veterans might hate it, but I think they could do with some better visual aids. Maybe even AR stuff.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
It’s been ages but what the gently caress even is the justification for turning DRS off for the first couple laps after a start or safety car? DRS is poo poo anyways and could be a valid safety thing for all I know but just thinking about it on my own I don’t see why they need it off then. Especially the safety car restarts which is the most boring coma inducing poo poo in the world that the commentators have to hype up like it’s some huge exciting thing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

the corona quid posted:

It’s been ages but what the gently caress even is the justification for turning DRS off for the first couple laps after a start or safety car? DRS is poo poo anyways and could be a valid safety thing for all I know but just thinking about it on my own I don’t see why they need it off then. Especially the safety car restarts which is the most boring coma inducing poo poo in the world that the commentators have to hype up like it’s some huge exciting thing.

Most definitely safety related. Don't want a bunch of cars going different speeds when they are running close to each other. Probably really don't want 2 cars with DRS trying to pass a car without it at the same time too often.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

ROFLBOT posted:

What are the motogp constructors rules? Curious of what their limitations are, this season has been so good and action packed

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I was thinking it was maybe tyre temperature related, if it legit is down to speed differential just lmao

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

PoopSok posted:

What are the motogp constructors rules? Curious of what their limitations are, this season has been so good and action packed

The electronics are spec, the engine have a specified displacement and there’s a lot of specific aero rules thanks to Ducati loving around in recent years but basically the fairing is now fixed throughout the season and you can’t change it. It’s pretty open aside from that, Ducati runs a desmo cam system which is a pretty loving radical departure from everyone else in history ever past the 1930s.

KTM has a steel trellis frame versus everyone else using aluminum and a different suspension supplier from the rest of the grid and is pretty consistently putting someone in the top six now. There was a lot of people, myself included, who thought they ultimately were going to need to go to an aluminum frame to start winning but the fact that they can win on merit says a lot about how well the MotoGP rules are working where a manufacturer who is serious can come in and start winning after four years.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Most definitely safety related. Don't want a bunch of cars going different speeds when they are running close to each other. Probably really don't want 2 cars with DRS trying to pass a car without it at the same time too often.

Also in the beginning everyone is very close together and if cars 2-20 are all within 1 second all of them opening up the DRS like it's the US during covid wouldn't really do much in the way of differentiating speeds across the field.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

the corona quid posted:

The electronics are spec, the engine have a specified displacement and there’s a lot of specific aero rules thanks to Ducati loving around in recent years but basically the fairing is now fixed throughout the season and you can’t change it. It’s pretty open aside from that, Ducati runs a desmo cam system which is a pretty loving radical departure from everyone else in history ever past the 1930s.

KTM has a steel trellis frame versus everyone else using aluminum and a different suspension supplier from the rest of the grid and is pretty consistently putting someone in the top six now. There was a lot of people, myself included, who thought they ultimately were going to need to go to an aluminum frame to start winning but the fact that they can win on merit says a lot about how well the MotoGP rules are working where a manufacturer who is serious can come in and start winning after four years.

Lets not kid ourselves, if Marquez wasn't injured, KTM wouldn't have won poo poo.

Not saying they haven't done an amazing job.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

Close the thread you big babby

lol way to edit yer post

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Rinkles posted:

DRS is a great example of F1 taking a cool innovation and totally missing the point.

McLaren figured out in 2010 that they could stall the rear wing by feeding a tube through the chassis and having the driver cover up a hole and increase their straight line speed. Awesome! Innovation!

The FIA saw this and thought, "cool idea, let's force this into the rules but instead make it so the wing itself physically moves, but only when we say it can, on a specific part of the track". It took everything that was cool about McLaren's idea and somehow made it into the most boring contrived gimmick.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rhopunzel posted:

DRS is a great example of F1 taking a cool innovation and totally missing the point.

McLaren figured out in 2010 that they could stall the rear wing by feeding a tube through the chassis and having the driver cover up a hole and increase their straight line speed. Awesome! Innovation!

The FIA saw this and thought, "cool idea, let's force this into the rules but instead make it so the wing itself physically moves, but only when we say it can, on a specific part of the track". It took everything that was cool about McLaren's idea and somehow made it into the most boring contrived gimmick.

And then Mercedes invented the double-DRS, which was sadly banned pretty quickly

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 17, 2020

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The new regs originally slated for 2021, now 2022, are a total change on how the aero of the cars work. The extensive tests and simulations have shown a dramatic improvement in cars being able to follow closely. The teams will inevitably claw as much back as they can, but it's the most fundamental change in design philosophy in a very long time. I wouldn't expect Mercedes to be out of title contention, because they're just so well organised, but it will probably mix things up.

There's also a budget cap bundled in which would go some way to limiting how much further ahead the big teams can get, but it, for example, doesn't include driver salaries so it's got some pretty obvious flaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdmatdvSzk

Here's a propaganda video all about it

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ROFLBOT posted:

Funny how when MotoGP is so much better than everything it can't sustain its own discussion thread and its 3 fans spend all their time in here moaning about F1

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tsaedje posted:

Funny how when MotoGP is so much better than everything it can't sustain its own discussion thread and its 3 fans spend all their time in here moaning about F1

I think it would be overly charitable to say that the F1 thread has sustained 296 pages of F1 discussion this season.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

I think it would be overly charitable to say that the F1 thread has sustained 296 pages of F1 discussion this season.

Imagine how long it would be if we didn't have discord to have a separate set of derails and meltdowns

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Ya it’s criminally under appreciated

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I find MotoGP far more boring than F1. I've tried to get into it so many times, I actively enjoy watching F3/F2 and even Indy and the fuckin' NASCAR roval races on Sunday but MotoGP does nothing for me. Nothing against those who like it

e: This happens a lot in F1, we get a boring race (often Spain) and people decry the sport and say it's so boring and they'll never watch it again and then next race or the one after is an absolute stonker. They can't all be amazing races and I've never seen a season where they were.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 17, 2020

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Zak Brown switched to Ferrari?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

When SAS has active threads for Curling and Chess thats probably not such a great yardstick

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ROFLBOT posted:

That's because Aero plays a much small factor. When F1 starts taking steps to ban all the Aero bullshit that both makes the cars stick to the ground and impossible to follow each other is when the show improves.

Never going to happen.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ROFLBOT posted:

When SAS has active threads for Curling and Chess thats probably not such a great yardstick

It suggests that even curling and chess are more popular than motogp. Or that the bike fans we do have prefer to spend their time circlejerking about it in front of other people and complaining about sports they don't like.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

daslog posted:

That's because Aero plays a much small factor. When F1 starts taking steps to ban all the Aero bullshit that both makes the cars stick to the ground and impossible to follow each other is when the show improves.

Never going to happen.

I mean that's literally the plan for 2022, to change the aero up drastically to make the cars able to follow more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

I mean that's literally the plan for 2022, to change the aero up drastically to make the cars able to follow more closely.

It's been the plan in one form or another for 30 years.