Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pole Position decided by Rap Battle but you have to be nice to your opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

tuo posted:

but at least they had an incentive to build the best tyre they can...not the stuff Pirelli is forced to build.

My working theory is that this literally is the best Pirelli is capable of.

We've also seen quite publicly that no one else is capable of just jumping in if the FIA were to suddenly say Pirelli is in breach of contract for not delivering the goods.

By all accounts, it seemed like the FIA WANTED Michelin over Pirelli and that's why those weird semi-apologetic pieces from the FIA and Chase Carey kept coming out about how "Oh, well, it's just that the contract renewel just happened to fall right in the transistion gap so anyone new has to build the current spec for 1 year etc. etc."

Pirelli has zero incentive to make a good tire. They make all of their tires before the season starts and then just becomes a logistics company and distributes them. What's gonna happen? Hey, Pirelli, you're shnit, fix your poo poo. "Nope, sorry, we already built all of our tires and waht're you gonna do? Fire us? Just lmao." lmao

They get their massive amounts of publicity, advertising, marketing, the pole position poo poo etc. and just laughing away as they spend the billions of dollars generated buying up cannolis and defunding the Postal service.

These are also last year's tires, too. The 2020 Pirellis were apparently even WORSE than these ones. Like, god drat loving Michael Fassbender the god drat hollywood elite loving all of this up.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BWV posted:

-all employees, R&D, and parts count but driver salaries are separate.

Drivers, whose salaries are excluded from the cost cap, suddenly amass hundreds of staff and receive payrises that exactly cover the salaries of those staff who would otherwise be included in the cost cap. :thunk:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

My working theory is that this literally is the best Pirelli is capable of.

We've also seen quite publicly that no one else is capable of just jumping in if the FIA were to suddenly say Pirelli is in breach of contract for not delivering the goods.

By all accounts, it seemed like the FIA WANTED Michelin over Pirelli and that's why those weird semi-apologetic pieces from the FIA and Chase Carey kept coming out about how "Oh, well, it's just that the contract renewel just happened to fall right in the transistion gap so anyone new has to build the current spec for 1 year etc. etc."

Pirelli has zero incentive to make a good tire. They make all of their tires before the season starts and then just becomes a logistics company and distributes them. What's gonna happen? Hey, Pirelli, you're shnit, fix your poo poo. "Nope, sorry, we already built all of our tires and waht're you gonna do? Fire us? Just lmao." lmao

They get their massive amounts of publicity, advertising, marketing, the pole position poo poo etc. and just laughing away as they spend the billions of dollars generated buying up cannolis and defunding the Postal service.

These are also last year's tires, too. The 2020 Pirellis were apparently even WORSE than these ones. Like, god drat loving Michael Fassbender the god drat hollywood elite loving all of this up.

I like it when you come back to post here after taking an extended break from your meds. <3

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Theophany posted:

Drivers, whose salaries are excluded from the cost cap, suddenly amass hundreds of staff and receive payrises that exactly cover the salaries of those staff who would otherwise be included in the cost cap. :thunk:

I've heard this said a few times ITT but this ignores that many other sports have implemented caps and have been successful in creating rules to prevent this. Like you can easily track what employees are working to cook Lewis lunch and which ones are designing new parts.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

-hard and soft budget caps with teams that spend over the soft paying a tax that gets funnelled to the other teams.
-all employees, R&D, and parts count but driver salaries are separate. Drivers and teams face steep punishments (make them race for Haas) for trying to circumvent spending cap .
- Get rid of tracks in France, Abu Dhabi, Russia and Spain. Instead, race the good ones backwards or find some better ones IDK im not a trakbro
-35% of races will be done in the wet (sprinklers ready if need be)
-Give Lance the 2nd Merc, make Seb the #1 and team principal at Ferrari.
- All races will be won by Lewis Hamilton (not really a change)
-Ban Will Buxton and replace him with Nico Rosberg in a women's pantsuit.
-Replace Croft with Ray Hudson

Please let me know if you have any follow ups.

i didnt read this post from epic bad canadian barca fan who has probably not posted about barca because they suck now so decided to glory hunt in f1 instead, but redd is visiting my island today so if anyone wants a real flowery painting or a fake wistful painting just let me know

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Theophany posted:

But that's exactly how the cost cap will work. Driver salaries are excluded.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

track day bro! posted:

i didnt read this post from epic bad canadian barca fan who has probably not posted about barca because they suck now so decided to glory hunt in f1 instead, but redd is visiting my island today so if anyone wants a real flowery painting or a fake wistful painting just let me know
wow are you implying you dont read a post or watch f1!?!?

God drat how do you keep coming up with this fresh material!? my loving sides lmao

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the corona quid posted:

There’s nothing added by having the tires degrade when the sport is so highly managed and there’s hundreds of people in each team running simulations on how to manage the drop off and the best way to approach that, it’s the whole reason nobody pushes anymore. You may as well remove it as a factor.

that's exactly my point though, if you want strategy to matter you need to have a lot of options and the more crossover strategies you have (i.e. running the soft tire twice and pushing hard == slightly faster than managing the pace on a single pair of softs) the harder it is for teams to run their stupid simulation programs overnight.

I mean alternatively ban the simulation programs or make the data public but I don't know how you police that

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

andyf posted:

I think you might have been tracking the wrong car:

Car that hits the stalled car:

Fassbender getting swiped

Fassbender retirement

Cool revisionist bullshit history you dolt. Here's the real screen caps:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:eyepop:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
GOD DAMMIT FASSBENDER!! :argh:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

GOD DAMMIT FASSBENDER!! :argh:

Khaled Mardem-Bey funded Fassbender's 9/11 with mIRC registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wirth continues to be the only poster in this thread that makes any sense

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Wirth1000 posted:

Cool revisionist bullshit history you dolt. Here's the real screen caps:

I knew in my heart LC was right 😌

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

track day bro! posted:

bring back in race refuling but it has to be done 'in race' so like a jet fighter you have to aim a nozzle into an LMP1 car converted into a fuel truck for each team

this is the only good suggestion just do this imo

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

track day bro! posted:

hopefully you read this post where I welcome you to post in La Liga Thread (spanish for The League Thread). It does not feature the same joi de vivre found here but it is generally more tolerant of those with serious brain injuries.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BWV posted:

hopefully you read this post where I welcome you to post in La Liga Thread (spanish for The League Thread). It does not feature the same joi de vivre found here but it is generally more tolerant of those with serious brain injuries.

Wait, what? This isn't the TBI thread??

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

if i wanted to post with a bunch of american plastics i'd post in the epl thread

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

wow are you implying you dont read a post or watch f1!?!?

God drat how do you keep coming up with this fresh material!? my loving sides lmao

yeah but do you want the dodo code or not

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How to fix F1:
1) Bring back Bernie
2) Bring back grid girls

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

How to fix F1:
1) Bring back Bernie
2) Bring back grid girls

298 pages and finally a good post

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

How to fix F1:

Your keyboard probably has a "Fn" key. Try pressing that and see if it starts behaving as you'd expect.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
  • FP1 is for reserve/young drivers only
  • Keep the softest tyre as a pure quali tyre, and provide 6 sets to each car for quali, but only for quali. They don't get to use them in free practice sessions.
  • Bigger difference between the two remaining compounds
  • Free choice of tyre to start the race on, but the decision is made before quali.
  • Mandate that everyone starts on exactly 100kg fuel, which is already more than the cars need to complete race distance. No ability to underfuel removes the incentive to save fuel and encourages teams to push the engines harder.
  • Don't race in Barcelona so we're spared the annual post-race complaints

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NtotheTC posted:

As far as I can see it, the problem is the pit delta is too drat high. losing 20s+ in a pitstop relative to other drivers makes it a no-brainer to treat tires gently instead of pitting for new tires because there's usually no way to make up 20s even on a fresh pair of tires.

The solution: Cut the pit delta in half. Obviously we need the speed limits for safety but reconfigure the pit entry/exit to skip turns 1/2/3 whatever until the net time loss comes down to 10 seconds or less. Suddenly there's a huge amount of additional strategies available because making up 10s in 10 laps on someone nursing old tires isn't as difficult. More strategies = the teams can't cover all of them (until one of them solves P = NP which admittedly I wouldn't put past Mercedes) and you get your unpredictability back.

Obviously some circuits won't be able to reconfigure their pit lanes. for example we'll have to say goodbye to Monaco- making this pretty much be best plan ever.

e: this plan also requires the 2022 ground effects changes to make following cars easier but I think 2 years for circuits to get their poo poo together is reasonable.

Twitch Plays The Rear Left Mechanic’s Wheel Gun

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Tell the teams they have only 100kg of fuel they have to use. They don't even have to put it all in thje car at the race start if they don't want to. They can refuel or they can just have one big tank. But no more than 100kg.

Then remove literally all regulations except for safety standards.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

[list]

[*]Mandate that everyone starts on exactly 100kg fuel, which is already more than the cars need to complete race distance. No ability to underfuel removes the incentive to save fuel and encourages teams to push the engines harder.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FUEL SAVINGS

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

what if the mechanic's wheel gun was an actual gun?
does this improve f1?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

Tell the teams they have only 100kg of fuel they have to use. They don't even have to put it all in thje car at the race start if they don't want to. They can refuel or they can just have one big tank. But no more than 100kg.

Then remove literally all regulations except for safety standards.

They should let everyone pick their own fuel and just set a BTU limit. If teams want to bring a batteries or gas or wood burning pellets that's fine. Everyone gets a limit of 100,000 BTUs or something.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Puppet Master posted:

what if the mechanic's wheel gun was an actual gun?
does this improve f1?

Blown front axles are banned, so at least the can't shoot the other gunner.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Catalunya has got to be one of the worst “classic” circuits.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I hate it even more than Magny-Cours and the Hungaroring.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I’m drinking a 473ml can of Red Bull.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I think it may be too big.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the corona quid posted:

I think it may be too big.

What? To fit in your mouth?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ew Red Bull, the drink of racist Dutchmen. I'm drinking a Monster which is the drink of those who are still rising.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ew Red Bull, the drink of racist Dutchmen. I'm drinking a Monster which is the drink of those who are still rising.

Counterpoint: Monster sponsors Biñales

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

Catalunya has got to be one of the worst “classic” circuits.

It's not even that.

Don't race at tracks the teams test at. By the time the actual race comes laong they've already done like 7 race distance simulations and have everything dialed in.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Here's a gif of a guy getting one to stay awake during the race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
There's only one car on the grid that can keep pace with the Mercs, and that's our boy *squints at spreadsheet* Romain Grosjean.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1295078674341998597