Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
On the topic of weird flavored desserts, I've had Ouzo flavored Turkish delights, and goddamn it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Skratte posted:

Question for the thread, since I wanna keep expanding my veggies options: what the hell do eggplants taste like? I've been avoiding them for years because I hate summer squashes so much, and I was worried that they'd taste similar. If they do not I should pick one up and give it a go

Well,

Eggplant tastes pretty similar to zucchini, as a general rule.
However, let's say you sautee both of them plain, in just a few drops of oil. Zucchini will take on a 'greener' flavor, like a fresh green bean. Eggplant takes on a slightly more earthy, buttery note. That's why you see it used as a substitute for meat in eggplant parm, and turned into a hearty dip/spread in babaganoush. It has a vegetal, but almost brown buttery flavor to it depending on how it's prepared that Zucchini never really takes on.

e: I'm also kinda weirding out over the person who said the 'smell of cream corn' got to them. I'd love to know what happened there, because, cream corn is literally corn cut off the cob mixed with cream and butter, salt and pepper. It shouldn't 'smell' like anything, really. I mean, if you eat corn on the cob and put butter on it you're like 2 steps away from cream corn.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 17, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know what eggplant tastes like because 100% of my eggplant consumption is baba ghanoush or eggplant parm and it's lost in a sea of other flavors.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Big Beef City posted:

e: I'm also kinda weirding out over the person who said the 'smell of cream corn' got to them. I'd love to know what happened there, because, cream corn is literally corn cut off the cob mixed with cream and butter, salt and pepper. It shouldn't 'smell' like anything, really. I mean, if you eat corn on the cob and put butter on it you're like 2 steps away from cream corn.

They probably mean canned creamed corn, which is just corn, modified corn starch, water, and salt. When the can gets pressure cooked small amounts of compounds like dimethyl sulfide are produced, which smells like overcooked cabbage or pumpkin. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

edit: I don't think not liking cream-style corn is weird - it's a food product that only exists to allow the packers to salvage the kernels that get smooshed up in processing.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 17, 2020

big ol horse
Feb 26, 2020

naem posted:

-you can not be as tall as Old Dad, or have wider shoulders

how is this enforced? does anyone taller need to hunch over the whole time?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

creamed corn has always sounded fake to me as a non US person. Like something from the simpsons like creamed eels

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
i ate creamed jeans one time and now im pregnant with a canadian i mean a maple nord.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Son of Rodney posted:

creamed corn has always sounded fake to me as a non US person. Like something from the simpsons like creamed eels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaTMYbE1HGs

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Waterbed Wendy posted:

i ate creamed jeans one time and now im pregnant with a canadian i mean a maple nord.

I'm not gonna question your sex life, but I DO want to tell you that I read that as "maple nword", did a good double-take.

e: did you know that your baby will be a Canadian forever? Citizenship is passed down, even if born abroad.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 17, 2020

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

I'm not gonna question your sex life, but I DO want to tell you that I read that as "maple nword", did a good double-take.

e: did you know that your baby will be a Canadian forever? Citizenship is passed down, even if born abroad.

thank you me and the jeans are so happy to hear this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Is maple nword some kind of anti-canadian slur?

naem
May 29, 2011

big ol horse posted:

how is this enforced? does anyone taller need to hunch over the whole time?

no he just makes weird, agitated body motions as he realizes you are “sitting there politely, being as tall as him” that increase until he starts making angry little belittling comments at you, despite the fact you are only visiting someone else’s family dinner out of obligation

imagine Sheldon on the big bag theory is pushing 70 and never interacts with anyone he doesn’t control (with the threat of being cut out of the inheritance) and is mad you’re sitting in his chair, even though he told you to sit in that chair

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

naem posted:

no he just makes weird, agitated body motions as he realizes you are “sitting there politely, being as tall as him” that increase until he starts making angry little belittling comments at you, despite the fact you are only visiting someone else’s family dinner out of obligation

imagine Sheldon on the big bag theory is pushing 70 and never interacts with anyone he doesn’t control (with the threat of being cut out of the inheritance) and is mad you’re sitting in his chair, even though he told you to sit in that chair

Did he or another family member take you aside later and apologize but also work in that "maybe you could just...tone it down a little"?

naem
May 29, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

Did he or another family member take you aside later and apologize but also work in that "maybe you could just...tone it down a little"?

well, the salsa incident, where I “had some salsa, from the jar, that was on the table,” boy that was a big deal, they probably still tell stories about me there

but no in general it seems just expected that wizened elderly dad is the king and we merely his subjects

then they’re surprised I don’t want to visit

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

I skipped the last three pages just to comment:

"cilantro, roast green peppers and good olive oil."

This sounds so good. Just ordered a single bottle.

To contribute, there was vanilla ice cream discussion a few pages back. Vanilla ice cream demands berries. Huckleberries if you can get them, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry etc are all okay too. A good vanilla + berries is an absolute flavor explosion.

Also, I used to hate cilantro. Could not stand the heady flavor. Would not eat pesto at all. I gave it a second and third try though and now enjoy it. Beyond allergies, if you aren't willing to re-try foods you "don't like" occasionally; like two years, five years, ten years later, you are seriously limiting your flavor experience in this lifetime.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skratte posted:

Question for the thread, since I wanna keep expanding my veggies options: what the hell do eggplants taste like? I've been avoiding them for years because I hate summer squashes so much, and I was worried that they'd taste similar. If they do not I should pick one up and give it a go

how do you not know what an eggplant tastes like just go to the drat panda express

anyway it isn't really that strong of a flavor, with a soft texture when it's cooked or crispy when it's pickled. it's like the rice of squashes

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Pyrotoad posted:

My grandmother has a severe IBS related intolerance to all alliums, she hates it. Whenever we go out to dinner with her she'll take ages trying to find something without any in before giving up and accepting she's gonna have a terrible stomach later. Not having garlic or onion isn't worth it.

Yeah allium allergies suck. I wouldnt wish that on anyone. Fun story about missing out due to pickiness:

I was travelling with a friend in Ghana and some friends of his met us there. They were from Central Ohio and were very much "white bread" types.

While I was waking up at 5AM to buy fish right off the boat to get grilled up with fresh veggies and eggs, my friend had to get a moto taxi for his Ohioan visitors so they could get fast food from the nearest city centre.

All the food was local, fresh, inexpensive and delicious. We had rented a hut on the beach for like $15usd a night. The Ohio people lasted 2 nights before requesting to be brought to a modern hotel with AC and a KFC across the street, claiming that they "didnt like onions" and that it was "too hot to sleep".

I said bye to my friend and met him in England two weeks later.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
one time i was eating chocolate cake and i put lots of cream on it. too much cream.

then i felt sick. i didn't finish it.

i do love cream, though.

e: i found a picture

also i found this. don't know what's going on here.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2020

big ol horse
Feb 26, 2020

The_Continental posted:

Do you know why hoppy and/or unfiltered beers make me sneeze.

do you have seasonal allergies?

apparently, hops is similar to ragweed or pollen or something i can’t remember now. i’ve never been a big enough beer drinker to notice problems from it, but hops tea will stuff me up and give me a scratchy throat.

it’s in the cannabis family, so you might also be allergic to weed. if so, avoid hemp seeds. my allergist studies weed allergies, and he said that smoking likely won’t do more than stuff me up, but gave me an epi pen and told me to avoid hemp seeds, as the worst allergens are found in the protein.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I probably have some stripe of seasonal allergies but they've subsided since I've moved out of the Midwest. I'm absolutely not allergic to weed FOUR TWENTY BLAZE IT

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

The_Continental posted:

I probably have some stripe of seasonal allergies but they've subsided since I've moved out of the Midwest. I'm absolutely not allergic to weed FOUR TWENTY BLAZE IT
Funny, I didn't have allergies until I moved from the Midwest to Knoxville, TN - it is known as one of the worst places in the country for it though.

To contribute to warm water hangover guy, if I can't down water like my body needs I slowly suck on ice so I don't get too much too fast.

Cottage cheese used to make me puke, but if I cover it in black pepper or add peaches I'm fine.

Pimento cheese used to be gross to me.

I made myself like olives and can handle anchovies.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 17, 2020

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

teen witch posted:

How do you refuse to drink water

Like I’m baffled

By listening to influencers:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/qjdbbx/wellness-instagram-no-water-dry-fasting

quote:

Sophie is evangelical about "no water", seeking to spread the word through her Instagram account. Her passion for what she's promoting is clear when I speak to her over a crackly WhatsApp line from her current home in Thailand.

"It's the best thing I've ever done in my life," she says. "If you're [eating] a normal Western diet, eating salt and cooked fats, [not drinking water] can be really damaging – but I transitioned into a raw vegan diet, so I hydrate with living water [like melon juice and coconut water] from fruits, and I stopped drinking empty water from bottles or the tap. You hydrate with living water because there's nothing in the water in bottles. It's the water industry that tells us to drink all the time."

Enfys fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 17, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

:confused:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

This empty water is more useless than dogshit! Oh wait what's this?? You stirred in sugar?????

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Never mind me just moving to Thailand to take up raw veganism nbd

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is something that bothered/intrigued me about the people in this thread who talk about people who wont drink water.

Do they only drink juice/soda etc? The amount of sugar that they must ingest would be amazing. (Beer/wine and most alcoholic drinks also contain fucktonnes of sugar.) Although I suppose they could be living entirely off of milk, but that has it's health downsides too.

Also, what about the convenience of when one is feeling a little dehydrated of just having a glass of tap water. Or when it's hot having a glass of ice cold water from the fridge. (In summer I like to keep my old plastic bottles, fill them up with tap water and chuck them in the fridge for when I might need a cold drink.)

Then there is the cost. Someone somewhere told me it was healthy to drink a lot of water, so I go through a litre, maybe a litre and a half of water a day. If you're buying 500ml bottles of coke, that's close to $10 a day just to drink. Which adds up in terms of cost.

Of course I am not suggesting only drinking from the tap, that would be silly, but if you are avoiding water just because it isn't giving you a party in your mouth with every sip, then you are doing yourself a whole lot of damage.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I knew a guy at college who exclusively drank diet coke and claimed to have done so all his life, and his teeth were somehow completely normal-looking.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if people who get on the "don't be a picky eater" high-horse realize that parents can seriously damage their children by making them eat poorly prepared foods that they aren't interested in eating, and also by forcing portion sizes upon their poor babies that are inappropriate?

I still occasionally throw my elderly, broken down, practically dead parents shade for having forced me to eat adult-sized portions of crudely boiled cruciferous vegetables until I got big enough to say "come and make me."

I can honestly say there's nothing one could ever do that would get me interested in broccoli or cauliflower. I can only stand cabbage if it's in a stir-fry or maybe kimchi. Green beans can eat a dick. I like raw carrots but if you cook them you can lick my balls.

Don't force your kids to eat stuff.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gizmojumpjet posted:

I wonder if people who get on the "don't be a picky eater" high-horse realize that parents can seriously damage their children by making them eat poorly prepared foods that they aren't interested in eating, and also by forcing portion sizes upon their poor babies that are inappropriate?

I still occasionally throw my elderly, broken down, practically dead parents shade for having forced me to eat adult-sized portions of crudely boiled cruciferous vegetables until I got big enough to say "come and make me."

I can honestly say there's nothing one could ever do that would get me interested in broccoli or cauliflower. I can only stand cabbage if it's in a stir-fry or maybe kimchi. Green beans can eat a dick. I like raw carrots but if you cook them you can lick my balls.

found the unreasonable weirdo

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

found the unreasonable weirdo

Yeah I'm out of line, cruciferous vegetables really are best when they're boiled for two hours and then forced down the gullet of a literal child on pain of thrashing with a leather strap.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gizmojumpjet posted:

Yeah I'm out of line, cruciferous vegetables really are best when they're boiled for two hours and then forced down the gullet of a literal child on pain of thrashing with a leather strap.

I think it's more the "I am an adult who still whinges about something that tasted bad when I was little. gently caress you mum and dad! I will now not eat that ever again to prove how grown up and mature I am." attitude.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
anglo anthropologists go to the four corners of the world and note the inhabitants strong interest in food as part of what makes them special when what is really special is the anglo-american cultures uniquely dipshit attitude towards food, from rank incompetence in cooking on. chicken nugget disease is a culture specific disease to anglo-americans

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

gizmojumpjet posted:

Bus.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think it's more the "I am an adult who still whinges about something that tasted bad when I was little. gently caress you mum and dad! I will now not eat that ever again to prove how grown up and mature I am." attitude.

I think it's more you can't understand how childhood emotional and physical abuse and trauma can have long-game effects?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gizmojumpjet posted:

Great.

Now you know it tastes better then, so eat it and STFU about your broccoli PTSD

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

gizmojumpjet posted:

It's a fine excuse for not eating that food prepared in that way.

What's your excuse for not eating it prepared in alternative, non awful ways now?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

waking up in a cold sweat night after night about cauliflower

only my chicken tendies will see me through to dawn

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

It's a fine excuse for not eating that food prepared in that way.

What's your excuse for not eating it prepared in alternative, non awful ways now?

Traumatic stress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gizmojumpjet posted:

Traumatic stress?

lol Jesus