Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I mean, maybe, but imo it's more likely that Liuxue wouldn't be married to anyone where her partner would marry into her family, as that would be a marriage down, either socially or in cultivation strength.
Man, wouldn't it be neat if there was some sort of culture class on offer to explain concepts like this? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Sure it's marrying down, but that lets you maintain cultivators in your house style. You have to weigh the advantage of keeping everyone from your own family and gaining talented lower class members vs. gaining an alliance with another high status house. The higher you rise, the fewer prospects at your level too.

For great houses looking to make an equal alliance I'd also expect pretty complex marriage exchanges so no one actually loses a member, otherwise the house that gained someone is at an advantage.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dinictus posted:

C is fine.

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Fire Week(3), Day 4) continued

Remembering how your childhood friend's mother bought you a gift at the Luchamadra, you step up beside Dashuijie. "I'll get it for you."

The elegant girl with vivid blue hair turns to you, "I couldn't possibly accept."

You smile warmly at her. "I insist. If you feel like you have to, you can get me something next time."

Dashuijie says, "Thank you."

You pay with the first quartz vital-essence amplifier you draw out of your pouch. A tiny blue speck swirling inside it indicates it is attuned to some sort of water madra. Dashuijie looks at you with surprise, "Why do you have water VEAs?"

You have to stop and think about that for a minute. Where did that quartz vea come from? You've collected a lot of them this month. Oh, right. "I took it from Tu Fei after beating him in a duel. He tried to steal my friend's veas at the beginning of the month. When I told him to stop, he challenged me."

Dashuijie wound the magenta ribbon you got her through her hair while you were talking. Her face brightens as she finishes, "Oh, that's marvelous!"

Her happiness is contagious. You smile back at Dashuijie. "Do you mind going back to the last shop with me? I saw some earrings that reminded me of my mother."

You end up paying for two sets of earrings. Your strength suddenly fluctuated while you were picking up the first pair, and you accidentally crushed them. Together, the pair only cost 1 quartz vea.

Experience
Social gains 8xp
Negotiation gains 2xp advancing to rank 2

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Fire Week(3), Day 5)

The next day, you meet up with Inner Disciple Xue Min to continue your lessons, or rather Wotjeo's lessons, on how to cultivate more quickly.

The day is almost exactly the same as your last meeting with her two weeks ago. You spend the first half of the day trying to learn how to move Wotjeo's madra back to him through your bond instead of pulling it into you. Min grumbles a couple of times about how it would be faster to practice it her way, but she is otherwise patient and helpful. You aren't tempted to try and learn it the quick and painful way, not yet at least. Healer Curada said it might take a whole year to learn this, and you've only tried it twice now. You can be a little patient and keep working on it in a way that won't hurt you or Wotjeo.

While you both take a break for lunch, you ask Min what she thinks would happen if you switched to the cultivation variation that focused on nudging your madra closer together would be.

Min's face brightens at your question, "I'm not sure. It affects everyone differently. I'm very curious about what an unusual madra like your Dream Silver would do. The effects always start out small. Usually, the first thing that happens is the twice-born's hair changes color. That's why so many ancestor-born have hair colors that hint at their madra types. They often stumble into cultivating that way before someone can find them. The style Luxing Traveling Academy teaches is designed to avoid causing unintentional changes. The more obvious changes tend to manifest in a way similar to a physical cultivation technique but less controlled. Fire cultivators acquire resistance to heat, water cultivators are more flexible —things like that. Spirits like yours are their madra. It shouldn't affect it, but everything about your bond is so unusual I would love to see what happens. Would you like to try that today? You'd have to commit to practicing it for a long time before seeing any major changes. Possibly until you advance to Day."

You shake your head, uncertainly, "No... I think I want to keep learning how to cultivate faster. It'll help me get better at everything, right?"

Min nods her head in agreement but doesn't try to hide her disappointment. "That's right. Let's get to it. You skipped last week, so cultivate until I tell you to stop. I need to see where you are."

Min watches for hardly any time at all before stopping you. "Good, you've been practicing. That means today we can try a different technique variation. This one is only about as fast as the first way I showed you, but it's more efficient, so you don't spend as much time gathering. Now the first step is to ..."

You pay close attention to what Min is saying, but don't really understand. Fortunately, Wotjeo seems to, so you don't interrupt.

Experience
Fast cultivation gains 15.5xp, not sure why last time was so much higher but the time before was 12xp so I think I made a math error in your favor last time

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Fire Week(3), Day 6)

The next day, you meet Healer Zhe Zhuru at the Healer Hall. He tells you, "You've got enough techniques under your belt now to consider yourself a proper Healer. How would you like to help me treat injured people today?"

You nod your head excitedly. "That sounds great!"

Unfortunately, no one gets injured all day. Not that you wanted anyone to get hurt, but you were really looking forward to finally getting to help other twice-born.

Instead, you spend a lot of time talking to Healer Zhe Zhuru and running through some exercises he teaches you. It reminds you a lot of waiting around during your apprenticeship to Healer Curada.

You tell Healer Zhe Zhuru all about advancing to Diamond last week, and how nice Jirounu was. You also ask him for suggestions for tutors for some of your techniques. He gives you the names of some Inner Disciples but warns you, "You have a very unique madra, and twice-born rarely develop good teaching skills or the kind of flexibility needed to help you effectively. Those who do, Luxing Traveling Academy usually makes Core Disciples as soon as they develop their dantians enough. I'm not sure how much anyone will be able to help you with your techniques unless you open a dantian with a more common madra."

Wotjeo prompts you to stop pouting and ask, "What about you, Healer Zhe Zhuru? You've been a lot of help and really nice! You're a great Healer too!"

Healer Zhe Zhuru laughs, "Thank you, Pūmič. The truth is, I'm not part of Luxing Traveling Academy. I'm a guest. I came here to learn from Elder Qianni. If she hadn't asked me to teach you, I would probably have never met you. I'm very glad she did. You're growing up to be a wonderful woman."

Experience
Healing gains 33.2xp

You have 2 open training actions and a ridiculous amount of CP
1) Do you want to ask for a tutor for any of your techniques next week?
A. No, There are a ton of other things you want to spend time (if this wins you'll still have the option to vote for technique training in the usual weekly action vote)
B. Yes, Spirit's Strength
C. Yes, Hunter's Metal Guidance technique with a new tutor
D. Yes, Metal manipulation technique
write in

Schedule this week, order not set
Spar with Lumang and Big Bailei (after Metal Guidance lessons)
Dreamwalking with Wotjeo

Schedule next week, order not set
Elder dantian cultivation (Wotjeo)
Elder Physical cultivation
Exploring with Liuxue and Bčiké
Healing Lessons
Culture lessons with Chew Chengzhang and Zhuque

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
B. x 2
We must refine our smashing.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 18, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

D

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

B most of our techniques rely on weird dream stuff, but from what Min said early on, spirits strength could use some work on the fundamentals that apparently any teacher could handle, because we were spraying madra around us, instead of keeping it trapped inside.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
D B
Just because I think both of these are nifty

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
BD

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

1. B and also a tutor for Healer's Needle/throwing in general.

Also looks like we'll be getting our hair after all, through Min.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

B. x 2
We must refine our smashing.

Yep, let's do this

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
B

I think this is for one training slot. Maybe request Min, since she's the one that said it would be an easy fix?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
B x2

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
B

and D if we're voting for two.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

D - there are a lot of useful things we can do if we actually learn how to manipulate metal.
C - we should continue trying to get better at metal guidance as well

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

E - mundane throwing practice
B

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 18, 2020

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BB

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mr. Prokosch posted:

B

I think this is for one training slot. Maybe request Min, since she's the one that said it would be an easy fix?
She said she doesnt use any body enhancing techniques like it herself but that they're common and anyone could teach us not to be shooting madra everywhere.

It also seems like mystery box is the proper way to go for metal hair.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 18, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, alright. Maybe not Min then.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
BE- Generic throwing skill for the needles with or without madra. Need to improve our baseline so that our strength and metal manipulation can enhance us rather than just cover our weakness

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CD.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
as a note for all us 2 voters, in case this is a single decision vote, make sure your votes are in order of priority

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

This vote will lock in at most 1 action.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
D. 'A' is tempting just because it would enable us to do more interesting things, but I'm thinking that because it was stated to us how much CP we have, using it up might be a good idea? I think I am trying to metagame.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
C

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
If it locks only a single action, lets go with write in: mundane throwing

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Fat Samurai posted:

If it locks only a single action, lets go with write in: mundane throwing

I like this too. Gotta work on the fundamentals

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So people are getting used to Wotjeo talking, right? Does his voice sound like Michael Clarke Duncan?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So people are getting used to Wotjeo talking, right? Does his voice sound like Michael Clarke Duncan?

It does now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Quick straw poll since I don't have time to write the update tonight.

2) What spar do you want to see?
Z. Bailei vs Pumie
Y. Lumang vs Wotjeo
X. Lumang vs all three of you

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Y

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Y>X>Z