Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Son of Rodney posted:

I dislike cilantro and muh guhfriend is from South America, boy howdy is it like a sitcom in our kitchen!!

That is a bummer. drat, can you at least stand it in salsa?

Strumpie posted:

i can be unreasonably weird about more than one thing. :colbert:

Being unreasonably weird in multiple ways is cool and good.

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Mushika posted:

Before this post, I had never heard of cilantro pesto at all. It's definitely not traditional, or even common, and I say that as someone who loves cilantro and pesto. I think I've heard of spinach based pesto, but I have never personally had nor known anyone to ever have a pesto made from any other leafy herb than basil. I mean, I'd try it, but it wouldn't really be pesto.

I meant to reply to this earlier.

I am the exact opposite. I have never heard of pesto made with anything other than cilantro. Worlds are colliding here. Google search shows me there are things to learn and discover, and I thank you for this insight.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Star Me Kitten posted:

That is a bummer. drat, can you at least stand it in salsa?

Yeah it's the quantity that does it. Also I'm not baby and eat it everywhere it needs to go, I just don't actively put it into food myself :)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm with you, a little cilantro goes a long way.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
I can’t imagine Pesto made with cilantro. I’ve only ever heard of it made With basil. Must be a completely different taste with cilantro but I’m open to it I guess.

No good homemade guacamole recipe is complete without cilantro. That is a hill I’m willing to die on.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wonder how many people actually have the 'cilantro tastes like soap' gene, or how many people taste it as is, and just aren't expecting "strong, very vibrant herb flavor" and just say "nope, that's me, that's soap I'm one of 'em".

I mean, on its own, it IS a strong tasting herb, like grabbing a hunk of parsley and basil together and eating it plain mixed together, strong. Still, douse my mexican and asian dishes with it, please. And, for those afflicted, if it's way stronger than that, like actually eating a whole bar of irish spring or something, that truly would blow. Instead, just eat the flat leaf parsley and wrap it in a fresh basil leaf like I mentioned, and pretend, I'd rather do that I think, then have mexican style tacos without that kind of flavor profile imo.

e: I've had and previously heard of cilantro pesto, but it's by no means the norm. That's weird that someone would be in an area where they'd not heard of basil-based pesto. Kinda wondering where that is that it became standard, it's interesting.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I don't get people who make a fuss when at a like party where food is provided or someone cooks for you, I'd just eat whatever for fear of being rude
Like, I'm annoyed the donair shop got my order wrong and put pickles and olives on my donair when I only asked for cucmber, lettuce and tomato, but nobody can see me take the pickles out. I'm at somebody's house and they made stuff with pickles in, I'm eating the pickles

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

dracky posted:

I don't get people who make a fuss when at a like party where food is provided or someone cooks for you, I'd just eat whatever for fear of being rude
Like, I'm annoyed the donair shop got my order wrong and put pickles and olives on my donair when I only asked for cucmber, lettuce and tomato, but nobody can see me take the pickles out. I'm at somebody's house and they made stuff with pickles in, I'm eating the pickles

is a donair when you get so drunk you can't pronounce doner correctly?

is this another cilantro/coriander situation because i'm getting unreasonable again!

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

is this another cilantro/coriander situation because i'm getting unreasonable again!

I want to say donair is a Canadian thing?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Big Beef City posted:

I wonder how many people actually have the 'cilantro tastes like soap' gene, or how many people taste it as is, and just aren't expecting "strong, very vibrant herb flavor" and just say "nope, that's me, that's soap I'm one of 'em".

I mean, on its own, it IS a strong tasting herb, like grabbing a hunk of parsley and basil together and eating it plain mixed together, strong. Still, douse my mexican and asian dishes with it, please. And, for those afflicted, if it's way stronger than that, like actually eating a whole bar of irish spring or something, that truly would blow. Instead, just eat the flat leaf parsley and wrap it in a fresh basil leaf like I mentioned, and pretend, I'd rather do that I think, then have mexican style tacos without that kind of flavor profile imo.

e: I've had and previously heard of cilantro pesto, but it's by no means the norm. That's weird that someone would be in an area where they'd not heard of basil-based pesto. Kinda wondering where that is that it became standard, it's interesting.

Cilantro is a perfect example of the thread title; it can be so overwhelming that people get weird about it. That was me for years. Love that poo poo now though.

In Pesto, I'm kinda stunned that there are options. Some basil, sure... but drat pesto is made from cilantro isn't it? Turns out there are some pesto options I never knew of or had. I grew up bay area northern California, a pretty diverse place, and now in north Idaho, not very diverse at all. Maybe cilantro pesto is a west coast thing? I don't know. It's all I've ever known of pesto, and thanks to thread, I get to explore new taste sensations in the future.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Internetjack posted:

I need to try crickets and grasshoppers at some point. Have not done that, may hit a threshold.

Oh, on the other hand if millions have eaten them in delicious recipes, wtf is wrong with me if I can't enjoy them too?

Around here you can get roasted and seasoned insects at the gas station. They’re okay, but the little legs and bits always get stuck in my teeth

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Strumpie posted:

Don't blame me, blame Canada

Unless Donair Town, Donair Dude, Donair Affair, Donair King, Donair Spot, Donair & Sub House, Mr. Greek Donair, Paradise DOnair, Best Bite Donair, Sultan's Donair, and Express Donair House are wrong in which case I don't wanna be right

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Ziv Zulander posted:

Around here you can get roasted and seasoned insects at the gas station. They’re okay, but the little legs and bits always get stuck in my teeth

Maybe with some good pesto dipping sauce....

And a toothpick.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

dracky posted:

Don't blame me, blame Canada

Unless Donair Town, Donair Dude, Donair Affair, Donair King, Donair Spot, Donair & Sub House, Mr. Greek Donair, Paradise DOnair, Best Bite Donair, Sultan's Donair, and Express Donair House are wrong in which case I don't wanna be right

'the Donair Affair' sounds like a Canadian political scandal.

Woden
May 6, 2006

brotato posted:

I'm jealous of people who can taste cilantro

There are different plants all under the coriander name, and some of them are less soap tasting than others.

When normal coriander starts to shoot because of the weather, even though I love the taste normally I can taste soap. Sawtooth coriander is much hardier, easier to grow and tastes great. If you're ok with picking leaves off of plants at a nursery, you could go try other varieties to see if it's all types or just the common type that tastes bad.

Woden fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 18, 2020

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Maybe a digression is what this thread needs so tendie crew gets a breather. Another way people are weird about food is to be food snobs for dumb reasons. Lots of good American foods are very underrated basically because of classism. I don't know how it is in other lands, feel free to jump in.

American cheese is good. I don't eat the individually wrapped singles much but if you're going to melt them it's fine, just admit you like melted Kraft Singles. I really like American cheese that I get at the deli, melted or not. I think the packaged "deluxe" style American cheese that isn't individually wrapped is pretty similar to that if you don't have delis with bulk cheese. It's as good as any fresh-style cheese, they're all bland and taste basically like milk. That's what they're supposed to taste like. I'm actually not a big fan of Velveeta because it's too goddamn salty.

Yellow mustard is good. It smells good. It tastes good. Its nice clean acidic flavor is a very nice foil to the richness of a hot dog. It's useful in cooking. The turmeric gives it a nice bright color and a flavor that is pretty unique. On burgers, the combo of ketchup and yellow mustard is iconic. I like Dutch or Dusseldorf style on a burger with just onions and pickles, but if it's got tomato, lettuce, and ketchup it will get French's.

Hershey's chocolate is good. Milk chocolate itself is good and Hershey's is one of the better ones. Everybody screams about how they love complex flavors. Well, the ever-so-slight butyric tang of Hershey's milk chocolate is complex as hell, and I think milk chocolate without it tastes bland and sugary in comparison. No, it does not taste like vomit. No more than blue mold cheeses or Parmigiano do - and since those can be acquired tastes maybe that's the issue. My only complaint about Hershey's is that it dries out fairly quickly so maybe if you don't like it you got some old chocolate. Hershey's Kisses dry out about ten minutes after they're made.

Iceberg lettuce is good. You cannot beat that sweet crunch. Yes, you should also eat other salad greens too, and iceberg gives great contrast in texture and flavor mixed with soft and bitter leaves. I don't see anyone crapping on melons which are even worse but mention iceberg and you always get IT'S JUST SUGAR AND WATER. What's wrong with that as long as you don't try to live on it?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
American cheese.

i'm gonna lose it. someone hold onto my ankles.

I'll American Cheese you!!!!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
your whole post is giving me anxiety.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's ok to like American cheese. Or not. Both opinions are equally valid.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Pestochat: I’ve never had cilantro pesto and it seems so obvious to do so now. I do like the traditional basil but I have also had pesto made from carrot greens and it was way better than I expected it to be.

On topic, once I volunteered to cook dinner at a friend’s house and the only seasonings in their pantry were salt, pepper, and dry minced onion. And then I was told his brother didn’t like onions.

How the gently caress do people live like that? It’s sad. It made me sad.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tendie chat in this thread is like horse chat in the bwm thread, its never off topic

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Love me some of old me maws homemade pasteurized cheese product on a few slices of American freedom toast, boy howdy does that make my bronco run*

An American dinner conversation as imagined by an European

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve done pesto with kale, arugula, spinach and they all own. Ditto with putting sunflower seeds and some nutritional yeast, the beast yeast.

Is this the thread where I kvetch about zoodles always being watery as hell. I like them, but not when they’re dripping.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ziv Zulander posted:

https://youtu.be/Zl3JNvpYSzw

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

teen witch posted:

I’ve done pesto with kale, arugula, spinach and they all own. Ditto with putting sunflower seeds and some nutritional yeast, the beast yeast.

Is this the thread where I kvetch about zoodles always being watery as hell. I like them, but not when they’re dripping.

Excuse me but zoodles is canned kids pasta in entertaining animal shapes with tomato sauce.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Myron Baloney posted:

Maybe a digression is what this thread needs so tendie crew gets a breather. Another way people are weird about food is to be food snobs for dumb reasons. Lots of good American foods are very underrated basically because of classism. I don't know how it is in other lands, feel free to jump in.

American cheese is good. I don't eat the individually wrapped singles much but if you're going to melt them it's fine, just admit you like melted Kraft Singles. I really like American cheese that I get at the deli, melted or not. I think the packaged "deluxe" style American cheese that isn't individually wrapped is pretty similar to that if you don't have delis with bulk cheese. It's as good as any fresh-style cheese, they're all bland and taste basically like milk. That's what they're supposed to taste like. I'm actually not a big fan of Velveeta because it's too goddamn salty.

Yellow mustard is good. It smells good. It tastes good. Its nice clean acidic flavor is a very nice foil to the richness of a hot dog. It's useful in cooking. The turmeric gives it a nice bright color and a flavor that is pretty unique. On burgers, the combo of ketchup and yellow mustard is iconic. I like Dutch or Dusseldorf style on a burger with just onions and pickles, but if it's got tomato, lettuce, and ketchup it will get French's.

Hershey's chocolate is good. Milk chocolate itself is good and Hershey's is one of the better ones. Everybody screams about how they love complex flavors. Well, the ever-so-slight butyric tang of Hershey's milk chocolate is complex as hell, and I think milk chocolate without it tastes bland and sugary in comparison. No, it does not taste like vomit. No more than blue mold cheeses or Parmigiano do - and since those can be acquired tastes maybe that's the issue. My only complaint about Hershey's is that it dries out fairly quickly so maybe if you don't like it you got some old chocolate. Hershey's Kisses dry out about ten minutes after they're made.

Iceberg lettuce is good. You cannot beat that sweet crunch. Yes, you should also eat other salad greens too, and iceberg gives great contrast in texture and flavor mixed with soft and bitter leaves. I don't see anyone crapping on melons which are even worse but mention iceberg and you always get IT'S JUST SUGAR AND WATER. What's wrong with that as long as you don't try to live on it?

I do like Hershey's milk chocolate a whole lot better than European style milk chocolate which is definitely too sweet for my taste. I'll take dark chocolate over both most of the time though. Also yellow mustard is very good on a hot dog. I like the extra vinegary flavor of it and I think it cuts through the greasy hot dog taste quite nicely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the greatest exotic food in this world is the japanese mcdonalds mega mac, which is four big macs smashed together

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The White Dragon posted:

the greatest exotic food in this world is the japanese mcdonalds mega mac, which is four big macs smashed together

I don't understand why not just order 4 big macs why do they need to be smashed together? I'm not angry that this exists I'm just confused. Very confused.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't understand why not just order 4 big macs why do they need to be smashed together? I'm not angry that this exists I'm just confused. Very confused.

You don't get the bulk discount that way.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Excuse me but zoodles is canned kids pasta in entertaining animal shapes with tomato sauce.

also Kvatch got razed to the ground by Daedra.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

SilvergunSuperman posted:

You don't get the bulk discount that way.

I looked it up because something about it seemed weird and a lie. It was!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Internetjack posted:

I meant to reply to this earlier.

I am the exact opposite. I have never heard of pesto made with anything other than cilantro. Worlds are colliding here. Google search shows me there are things to learn and discover, and I thank you for this insight.

I used to make a pesto with walnuts and cilantro. Its a lot more cost effective than basil and pine nuts. Plus the walnuts give it a really appealing buttery richness.

edit: I am also 100% one of those people to which cilantro tastes like a bar of dove. I've adjusted over time and can eat it along with other flavors, especially in something fatty or rich. But on its own its soap city.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 18, 2020

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If you are an angry Italian person, pesto genovese is basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, parmesan and olive oil, and NOTHING ELSE :argh:

If you are not an Italian purist, then pesto is a condiment made from some kind of nuts or seeds, herbs, oil and whatever. It's all good :shobon:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I looked it up because something about it seemed weird and a lie. It was!

im sorry i misspoke. it's called giga big mac, and it's only three big macs smashed together. you can't expect me to remember all these foreign food names

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I make pesto with coriander (cilantro) regularly because I prefer it to basil pesto and use it in dishes where I wouldn't want a strong basil flavour.

You can make all kinds of really delicious pesto really easily. Other good ones to try: spinach and walnut, kale, mint and lime, sun-dried tomato, and beetroot pestos.

I know a purist is going to come yell at me about the definition of pesto but others are good :shrug:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 18, 2020

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
what happens when pesto and antipasto collide?

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

You know what else has that intense butyric acid smell, like way more than hershey's, but I never see people complaining about it? Cheerios cereal. I can't even open a box of that stuff anymore, you open it and just this vomit smell comes wafting out. It smells of vom and coffee piss. The coffee piss smell I could forgive, it just smells like brown sugar, it's inoffensive but drat if it isn't uncanny. Every last flavor has that butryic smell. Are they adding it?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Strumpie posted:

what happens when pesto and antipasto collide?

The forbidden, spiciest meatball

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The White Dragon posted:

im sorry i misspoke. it's called giga big mac, and it's only three big macs smashed together. you can't expect me to remember all these foreign food names

Another lie. There's nothing smashed together about anything. It's just a big version of a big mac. The video the American tourists that went to McDonalds in Japan to buy bigger versions of burgers they could buy at home made was very clear about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American Cheese is an excellent melting cheese and a great "neutral" cheese to go with a burger.

I do think in general American cuisine is perceived as lower brow globally (except steak) because much of it is so pervasively available on a cheap budget that theres no gatekeeping with it. That said every country I've had Cajun/Creole food in outside of the states makes an absolute toddering mess off the whole thing.

Further related, the best french food is vietnamese.

The White Dragon posted:

Thats a standard item, they just don't sell in America (iirc). Related, the US got the Mini Mac and Grand Big Mac about ~2 years after the rest of the world because McDonald's likes using Europe as its test kitchen.