Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

There’s a normal release. There’s no chalk, so I don’t know why you’d want it.

God this loving cover art. They just wanted you to know they could have used the poster art and the same art that's been on every single video release of this movie ever. But no, let's do some lovely photoshopping so we can cram in ~references~ and brighter colors. Because that really represents the aesthetic of the film.

WHY CAN'T THEY EVER JUST USE THE loving POSTER ART THEY WERE ALREADY DOING IT FOR THIS MOVIE FOR LIKE 30 YEARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

because of the reason you stated.

I do want to get into replacing some of the cover art for what I have. Need to buy a better printer and good quality paper first though (and find a reputable avenue for obtaining hq boxart).

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
And plus the older cover would show the age of the movie, and they want the new one to seem "fresh" and "with it" to Cynthia as she passes by an end cap on her way to buy an emergency phone charger. And if it looks old, then she might feel bad about how she's an old lady. But if it's hip and young, then she too will remember the exciting, madcap adventures of everyone's favorite wacky film hero.

Point being, eat the rich.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

It still pisses me off Animatrix isn't in this, even just on blu-ray.
Pretty sure my Matrix blu-pack had the Animatrix packed in

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

God this loving cover art.
You can always go for the equally whack steelbook:

BLEH.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I like the screen grab they chose for the inside of the case, but who really looks at the inside of the case?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

I like the screen grab they chose for the inside of the case, but who really looks at the inside of the case?

If I like it enough, I may just flip it around for the interior art on the exterior.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

If I like it enough, I may just flip it around for the interior art on the exterior.

Can't flip a steelbook.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty sure my Matrix blu-pack had the Animatrix packed in

Yeah the 7 disc ‘Ultimate Matrix Collection’ boasts having Animatrix in HD.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Let's say I'm gonna get some Blu Ray. What should I get? Tammy and the T-Rex and obscure cartoons obviously, but what else is like that?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Behold, the crowning jewel of the format, coming to Germany 10/30:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

You can always go for the equally whack steelbook:

BLEH.

I hate it. It looks like one of those lovely loving album covers they use on soundtracks now.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Can't flip a steelbook.

Not with that attitude.

FunkyAl posted:

Let's say I'm gonna get some Blu Ray. What should I get? Tammy and the T-Rex and obscure cartoons obviously, but what else is like that?

I can't really think of any movies like Tammy and the T-Rex but if you want something wacky then get House (1977).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

caligulamprey posted:

Behold, the crowning jewel of the format, coming to Germany 10/30:

Saw this for the first time two years ago as part of a Verhoeven series a local theater was putting on. Honestly, it’s bad but it’s so insane that it’s engaging. I still need to show it to my GF who saw every other movie in that series w me and I regret not bringing her to Showgirls.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I want the version they showed on network television with bizarre digital underwear to cover the nudity in 4k HDR.

Otherwise, what's the point of the format?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I want the version they showed on network television with bizarre digital underwear to cover the nudity in 4k HDR.

Otherwise, what's the point of the format?

It's be even better if you could turn it on and off while you watch the movie. Like those MST3K style silhouettes the old Ghostbusters DVD had to compliment the commentary track.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

It's be even better if you could turn it on and off while you watch the movie. Like those MST3K style silhouettes the old Ghostbusters DVD had to compliment the commentary track.

Now you're talking! We have the technology!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Can't flip a steelbook.

eBay would beg to differ :v:

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

DUDES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjtNE4J6H8

Edit: Also the live action street fighter movie.

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 15, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ChazTurbo posted:

DUDES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjtNE4J6H8

Edit: Also the live action street fighter movie.

That gave me genre whiplash at least four times. I’m imagining a fish-out-of-water commentary that turns into Straw Dogs in the middle, but only for 22 minutes or so.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1295012439759577090?s=20

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

If it comes out OK, I'll grab it. I'll be interested to see how HDR plays into it, and even though I know it's film, I just keep thinking it's digital.

I'm surprised we haven't had a Godfather announcement. Are they waiting for 2022 for a 55th anniversary? Annoying. Also annoying to think it will probably be exclusively sold as a trilogy to begin with. And I have no interest in GF3.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

If it comes out OK, I'll grab it. I'll be interested to see how HDR plays into it, and even though I know it's film, I just keep thinking it's digital.

I'm surprised we haven't had a Godfather announcement. Are they waiting for 2022 for a 55th anniversary? Annoying. Also annoying to think it will probably be exclusively sold as a trilogy to begin with. And I have no interest in GF3.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

Honestly, GF3 isn't terrible. Like, when I watched it, I was expecting a disaster. What I got was a confusing and really slow film. Which is odd, because the other two films are longer, and yet they feel much shorter since they just keep moving along.

There's good ideas. But once they get into Sicily, it just slows to a crawl. The problem was they didn't have anything to add to the story.

But I refuse to just buy GF1 and 2. If the third isn't there, then the other two won't shine as brightly.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Did Kino's UHD of Hannibal come with a blu ray as well, or is it just a UHD disc? I've been waiting for Eternal Sunshine on blu for ages.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I, Butthole posted:

Did Kino's UHD of Hannibal come with a blu ray as well, or is it just a UHD disc? I've been waiting for Eternal Sunshine on blu for ages.

Both. I still need to watch my copy, so I’m not sure of the PQ but I’m sure it’s good

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Both. I still need to watch my copy, so I’m not sure of the PQ but I’m sure it’s good

Full 4K remaster supervised by the DP and it looks great.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So I just scanned a 8mm reel of mystery film and struck gold (well, bronze maybe), it's 8 minutes of atrociously dubbed kungfu from the 70s (based on the cars) that I'm not sure if it was taken from a real film or if it's some Chinese stunt guy's demo. Either way it's awesome and I want to try and get more information. Can any of you fine folks point me towards a thread here or some other pocket of the internet that could help?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ask, Egbert Souse, he's likely seen it (and knows which production house owns the rights, and the technical specs of the camera used to originally film it, and the complete life story of the cinematographer).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xenomrph posted:

Ask, Egbert Souse, he's likely seen it (and knows which production house owns the rights, and the technical specs of the camera used to originally film it, and the complete life story of the cinematographer).

Duly noted, I'll upload it when I get a chance.

Egbert, I can tell you which thrift store it was found in and the colour of the cardboard sleeve if that'll help you narrow it down.

e: here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cz_epv1crk

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 18, 2020

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

So the Arrow Gamera collection is a little smaller than the Criterion Godzilla collection, but it weighs about fifty pounds.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Duly noted, I'll upload it when I get a chance.

Egbert, I can tell you which thrift store it was found in and the colour of the cardboard sleeve if that'll help you narrow it down.

e: here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cz_epv1crk

Might have more luck posting it in the kung fu thread. For sure feel like I recognize the dude with the long hair and sunglasses, but this isn't really my area.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

feedmyleg posted:

Might have more luck posting it in the kung fu thread. For sure feel like I recognize the dude with the long hair and sunglasses, but this isn't really my area.

Thanks for the tip!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I come across 8mm projectors now and again in my trips to the thrift store and it's probably for the best that none of them appear to work when I plug them in because this is not another money sucking space taking hobby I need to have.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

So I just scanned a 8mm reel of mystery film and struck gold (well, bronze maybe), it's 8 minutes of atrociously dubbed kungfu from the 70s (based on the cars) that I'm not sure if it was taken from a real film or if it's some Chinese stunt guy's demo. Either way it's awesome and I want to try and get more information. Can any of you fine folks point me towards a thread here or some other pocket of the internet that could help?

You can try asking this guy: https://twitter.com/forgottenvcr

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

feedmyleg posted:

I think the guy in the sunglasses is Bolo Yeung.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Biff Rockgroin posted:

So the Arrow Gamera collection is a little smaller than the Criterion Godzilla collection, but it weighs about fifty pounds.

I just got this today and overall its a much better presentation than the Criterion set for much worse films. I love it very much.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

PriorMarcus posted:

I just got this today and overall its a much better presentation than the Criterion set for much worse films. I love it very much.

That was my first thought too.

The Godzilla set isn't bad at all, but this went above and beyond what I was expecting. I haven't gotten to watch anything from it yet, so I'm curious how the transfers are going to look.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Biff Rockgroin posted:

To expand on this, it's a little shorter in both directions, but it's much thicker. It feels like a particularly dense board game, or a thick hardcover novel.

The Criterion set was pretty good but always felt a little compromised in what they were allowed to include and how much work they could do on the transfers. This feels like a labor of love by comparison, about as close to a definitive statement on the series as you could ever hope to have. And while I'll agree Godzilla probably deserved this treatment more, the 90s trilogy is good enough to justify it here as well as far as I'm concerned.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the Gamera box set region free or do I need to buy it from someplace specific if I'm in the US?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t know why I thought the new Arrow 4K ‘Flash Gordon’ would also come with a Blu-ray but oops it totally doesn’t. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t know why I thought the new Arrow 4K ‘Flash Gordon’ would also come with a Blu-ray but oops it totally doesn’t. :sigh:

That’s a huge bummer and seems so.... bleh. I mean, I kind of get it. If you have the 4K, when would you watch the BluRay but it can be nice to have that flexibility! Especially while adoption numbers are so low.