Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The run where right after the trade he couldn't get out of the third inning for like a month was incredibly funny.

E: ok i looked it up , his first three starts he gave up 7, 6, and 8 ER

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Tatis you are always welcome on the Brewers; they always celebrate dingers and if the score gets run up, so be it.

Also in the not too distant past no lead was safe with their bullpen, so there's that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress the “unwritten rules”. If they were that crucial to the game they’d have become actual rules sometime in the past 100 loving years. Most of them are only there to coddle fragile pitcher egos.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ray Ratto may be a curmudgeon but he always cuts right through the bullshit:
https://twitter.com/RattoIndy/status/1295738047053496321

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That Hosmer stuff is legit embarrassing.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I thought the Rangers crying was bad enough but then I saw Mike Minor is scheduled to pitch tonight and I remembered how their team intentionally let a pop fly drop in foul territory so he could get his 200th strikeout last year and let out a good ol laugh

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
The shields trade was a bit of desperation because they were actually decent for the first two months of 2016 but had no pitching depth. Since then they've traded for Moncada and Eloy and signed Robert so I try not to get too hung up on it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
What's so weird about this particular unwritten rule is that a lot of old timey baseballers are like "uh, what the gently caress are you talking about?"

https://twitter.com/MannyActa14/status/1295784561134071809

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

What's so weird about this particular unwritten rule is that a lot of old timey baseballers are like "uh, what the gently caress are you talking about?"

https://twitter.com/MannyActa14/status/1295784561134071809

this kinda thing honestly makes perfect sense to me, imagine a grouchy old poo poo like Ty Cobb refusing to hit a home run out of sportsmanship

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol imagine Ted Williams seeing a meatball and NOT crushing it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Manfred.... good? :confused:

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1295800754133970950

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

gently caress that and gently caress the MLB

No punishments until the Astros are melted before the sun god for their sins

Edit: I dont think these punishments are even bad, but Manfred can suck my rear end if he thinks he has any legitimacy left

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shinjobi posted:

gently caress that and gently caress the MLB

No punishments until the Astros are melted before the sun god for their sins

Edit: I dont think these punishments are even bad, but Manfred can suck my rear end if he thinks he has any legitimacy left

This is like telling someone they can't be sad because other people in the world are worse off than they are.

Even if it's a broken clock moment, I'm glad Manfred did something good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

IcePhoenix posted:

This is like telling someone they can't be sad because other people in the world are worse off than they are.

Even if it's a broken clock moment, I'm glad Manfred did something good

I'm doubling down dang it!:supaburn:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shinjobi posted:

I'm doubling down dang it!:supaburn:

more like melting down :smuggo:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will admit that it seems a little limp wristed for a manager to go out and get a single game for one of the single most embarrassing looks a franchise can have. That man runs a team, got in front of a camera and told the world "my MLB team sucked real bad tonight and I wish our opponents had been nicer to us after we sucked so bad."

Should be a minimum 3 games just for the shame of it all.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm pretty new to baseball, regardless of if it's dumb or not, what is the reasoning behind the unwritten rules of not swinging on a 3-0 count when you're in the lead?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
On a 3-0 count a pitcher is likely to groove a pitch down the middle just to get a strike. When the game’s already out of hand it’s just seen* as a dick move to detonate on a pitch like that when everybody knows it’s gonna be a struggle just to wrap up in a reasonable amount of time

*by some people.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

I'm pretty new to baseball, regardless of if it's dumb or not, what is the reasoning behind the unwritten rules of not swinging on a 3-0 count when you're in the lead?

You either take the walk and move things along, or the count goes 3-1 and it gets back to being "fair." Just ignore the part where a fly out moves the game along even faster.

Ichiro also supposedly did not know this unwritten rule, which led to many furrowed brows twenty years ago.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

fadam posted:

It's unwritten cause it's a hilariously lovely look for complaining about it, but the rationale is youve got a "big" lead (tons of subjectivity here), the opposing pitcher is loving lost and flailing miserably, that you offer them a kindness to regain their location on 3-0 and maybe get their poo poo back together.

It's unwritten because why in the gently caress would anyone in a serious competition spot their opposition anything? The manager of a professional baseball team essentially cried after his team got donkey stomped, he got salty about it and demanded proper baseball bushido from the samurai at the plate.

It's dumb. It's embarrassing. I want the manager fired.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

fadam posted:

It's very rude to beat a team of grown men by too many runs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I figured it was something like that, but the stat tracking doesn't really care about the context behind getting struck out or getting a grand slam or anything right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fadam posted:

I figured it was something like that, but the stat tracking doesn't really care about the context behind getting struck out or getting a grand slam or anything right?

Correct. Because

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean the idea is "don't rub it in." Running up the score is kind of a dick move at some stage. But that doesn't really apply to baseball because there's no clock to run down. Teams do come back from crazy deficits. The only thing preventing them is you.

And like, its just weird to get mad at a guy for swinging at 3-0. What's the idea there? He can hit a grand slam on 3-1? Or he has to just wait and see if the pitcher can get 3 over the plate? Its weird and dumb.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

STAC Goat posted:

I mean the idea is "don't rub it in." Running up the score is kind of a dick move at some stage. But that doesn't really apply to baseball because there's no clock to run down. Teams do come back from crazy deficits.

And every home run/strike out is more money in any player's pocket. So again, gently caress that. Run up the score to 100.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I mean the idea is "don't rub it in." Running up the score is kind of a dick move at some stage. But that doesn't really apply to baseball because there's no clock to run down. Teams do come back from crazy deficits. The only thing preventing them is you.
This is pretty key imo.

If you're up 50 in basketball or football with 3 minutes left it is physically impossible to blow that lead. But even a 7 run deficit in the 8th innning isn't impervious and comebacks that large have absolutely happened before.

In fact, just last June the Padres came back from down 7 in the 8th to win, thanks in part to Tatis himself.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Tingler and Hosmer are loving embarrassments.

It's still extremely dumb that the Rangers are whining about this, but to have your own manager and a teammate throw you under the bus is just ridiculous. gently caress them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A person could do worse than spend the next four and a half years planning to get the gently caress out of San Diego.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Honestly, when I play sports, it feels more patronizing when a team is trying to not rub it in when they are crushing us.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Preventing people from running up the score makes sense in little league (which is usually why each league has mercy roles as well as a max amount of runs per inning), but these are god drat professionals at the highest level. They need to be embarrassed sometimes.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
This would be a lot more understandable if the issue was something like sliding hard into 2nd base or some other risky play.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

It's unwritten cause it's a hilariously lovely look for complaining about it, but the rationale is youve got a "big" lead (tons of subjectivity here), the opposing pitcher is loving lost and flailing miserably, that you offer them a kindness to regain their location on 3-0 and maybe get their poo poo back together.

It's unwritten because why in the gently caress would anyone in a serious competition spot their opposition anything? The manager of a professional baseball team essentially cried after his team got donkey stomped, he got salty about it and demanded proper baseball bushido from the samurai at the plate.

It's dumb. It's embarrassing. I want the manager fired.

I don't even mind the Rangers being salty about it privately but to come out and say something to the media about how badly he hurt your feelings and also throwing at Machado is dumb as hell.

Also I would never throw at Machado in retaliation cause he will retaliate by murdering your 1st baseman or something.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

ColdBlooded posted:

Tingler and Hosmer are loving embarrassments.

It's still extremely dumb that the Rangers are whining about this, but to have your own manager and a teammate throw you under the bus is just ridiculous. gently caress them.

Just wanted to say I still smile every time I see your avatar

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

every time the Padres franchise does something embarrassing I think about Dave Cameron and laugh a little to myself

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a point where you're being a dick. Like if you're running complicated plays in the final seconds of a football game you're tempting someone to lose their cool and hit you hard. Or if a basketball player is rushing shots to try and reach some number. That's not the end of the world. We should just call that guy a selfish dick instead of complaining about how unfair it is. But there is some kind of line between "playing to win" and "just being an rear end in a top hat."

But Tatis didn't cross it. Padding a 7 run lead sure ain't it. Just doing your job at the plate is SOP. Maybe like if he was charging into catchers or something, but what is he supposed to do at the plate?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pad all leads because most bullpens are terrible

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Tingler is by far the most embarrassing thing of this whole fiasco, because while it's dumb as hell I get why the rangers manager did it. But throwing your own star red hot young player under the bus as his manager? What the gently caress was he thinking?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Having seen my team blow a 12 run lead once as well as come back from a 10 run deficit (against the Padres no less!) I'll say you can never have enough runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Strelok604 posted:

Tingler is by far the most embarrassing thing of this whole fiasco, because while it's dumb as hell I get why the rangers manager did it. But throwing your own star red hot young player under the bus as his manager? What the gently caress was he thinking?

This. Tingler could easily lose the locker room for not standing up for his guy. Hosmer with his "we'll talk to him" bullshit was just as bad