Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Playing VIII for the first time and it owns tbh. Just trying to escape jail atm. Draw is cool but I wish it’d tell me how many I currently have when deciding to draw. Also if it’d remind me to do a full junction switch when it’s a party change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Playing VIII for the first time and it owns tbh. Just trying to escape jail atm. Draw is cool but I wish it’d tell me how many I currently have when deciding to draw. Also if it’d remind me to do a full junction switch when it’s a party change

be sure that you get Odin so that you can have a fun surprise during a later boss battle.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
got a ps4 and playing ff7r

i'm glad that his sword is now clearly the external manifestation of his big dick energy

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

deep bussy energy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

que sera sera posted:

deep bussy energy

big anime tiddies energy

?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

:whitewater:

Anyway the pillar just dropped in ReMake. Stuff like the train yard getting longer feels like unnecessary but the pillar drop being a much longer sequence made it more impactful for me. Also why is Tseng so hot. Outrageous.

On VIII doing the Galbadia Missile Base boss and trying to beat him in the ten minute time limit is tricky. Came close on my first try by using Quetzalcoatl repeatedly and just had the soldiers to beat but only had like 50 seconds left. Wish the summon didn’t take so long.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

:whitewater:

Anyway the pillar just dropped in ReMake. Stuff like the train yard getting longer feels like unnecessary but the pillar drop being a much longer sequence made it more impactful for me. Also why is Tseng so hot. Outrageous.

On VIII doing the Galbadia Missile Base boss and trying to beat him in the ten minute time limit is tricky. Came close on my first try by using Quetzalcoatl repeatedly and just had the soldiers to beat but only had like 50 seconds left. Wish the summon didn’t take so long.

Summoning is a massive noob trap.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah I’m gonna give it another try with Simmons then switch it up I think. They’re slow but Quetzalcoatl hits for just over 1K and thunder spells on each character are only around 120 atm. So with haste on the summoner it’s faster I think. Think I’ve better thunder spells around though. One thing is dislike about the Draw set up is no dedicated growth path for the elementals

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This. Put some good stuff on STR and SpD J and leave everyone's HP in the red and just use limit breaks. Degenerator will even take out some bosses. don't use summons until at least Doomtrain

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hrm I haven’t found this at all lol? Summons do huge damage and the special with haste and boost. Blasted through it this time as Irvine had Thundaga alternating with Quistis summoning Quetzalcoatl. Summoning does good damage I’ve found even in non time crunch battles though I don’t fall back on it often

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Hrm I haven’t found this at all lol? Summons do huge damage and the special with haste and boost. Blasted through it this time as Irvine had Thundaga alternating with Quistis summoning Quetzalcoatl. Summoning does good damage I’ve found even in non time crunch battles though I don’t fall back on it often

I’m gonna put this in spoilers because it pertains to game mechanics that might be fun to figure out by yourself but you’re basically supposed to junction 100 of the best magic you can get to your stats and kill everything with your cool sword and limit breaks. You can get magic from refining cards or items (mug is good) or just drawing one million times summoning sucks rear end, homie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ve been doing that as best I can and drawing from everything I meet but most junctions only seem to increase the stats by 1 or 2 points at most. Hoping it gets better later but I’m mid disc 2 or so I’m guessing. Does it junction better with more of the spell stocked or the level of the spell?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I’ve been doing that as best I can and drawing from everything I meet but most junctions only seem to increase the stats by 1 or 2 points at most. Hoping it gets better later but I’m mid disc 2 or so I’m guessing. Does it junction better with more of the spell stocked or the level of the spell?

yes to both. also certain spells boost certain stats more, berserk boosts str more than mag for instance. it gets to the point tht your basic attacks are doing the same amount as summons but taking a fraction of the time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

both. 100 fira is better than 50, and firaga is better than fire. try to draw all 100 of the good stuff from bosses (Cerberus has triple which owns on speed). no matter how high your compatibility is with summons, it's not going to be as fast as smashing attack or limit breaks. there's also a hidden mechanic which levels your SeeD rank up based on kills and doesn't count kills from summons. every time you get paid, you lose 10 SeeD XP, but you gain a SeeD level XP for every (non summon) kill, so your rank actually goes down if you rely on summons for long enough

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

actually, I played enough FF8 to name spells for most stats and where you can get them off the top of my head but I can't remember my wife's social security number. metldown is great for VIT and you can draw it from gaylas in Trabia or just card mod them, but I have to think before I say how old I am.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay thanks a lot, I'd the wrong end of the stick there! I had thought just having one of a junction spell was enough so on a couple made sure not to use it all up thinking that was sufficient. Also wasn't constantly drawing thinking I'd enough of a given spell for a while, so thanks for the tips! Haven't met any enemies with better elemental spells to draw though, mainly just draw points have thundara etc. so far iirc.

Also haven't managed to make any new weapons yet. Missed one magazine in Squalls dorm but got the others so far. Hoping I can pick it up and the Doomtrain magazine I missed now that I am back in Balamb. I think I haven't explored much or returned to places so on and just followed the story, maybe I'm not supposed to yet but a bit worried it's a bad habit from MODERN GAMING.

I was aware of the SeeD rank thing because I'm using the official guide (bad at reading tho) so I have only really used GFs on stuff like the battle tank because I stayed in hiding as long as possible and chose a ten min time limit on it so got a really good SeeD score. I need to get better at functioning them but I have been making sure to get their like STR and MAG bonuses!

Whats the deal with Diabolos though? I beat him when I got him and had thought his summon would be absurdly strong but it does a fraction of all the other summons damage wise lol.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just play the card game or refine items or something, drawing grind is for suckers imo.

Also it checks for limit break when a character is selected not when the bar fills. So if you want you can just mash to skip to the next character until somebody gets it. I junctioned my best magic to get 9999 HP really early and then kept everyone at 2499 and used LB nonstop.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol I am more interested in engaging with a fun system as best I can rather than trying to get the elite Strats YuGiOh style to insanely own enemies in pallet town. Thank you though!

I will def check out the refining though! Have some GFs learning those atm and need to learn the card game. I do like the scaling of enemies though so you never really have to grind if you don't want to, and if you do build a really cool hardcore party the game is still challenging (I assume)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you can get any magazines you miss later in the game (a later GF has an ability called "familiar" that makes stores sell more stuff, and one will sell all the magazines).

if you're getting into triple triad late, whenever it asks if you want to spread the "random" rule, say no. The basic rules from balamb are easiest to play. it's okay to add some other rules if you want a challenge, but random sucks. the game does this thing where different regions play by different rules and you can spread one regions rules to another.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

diabolos does percentage damage so it cant actually kill anything until it hits level 100. its probably top three GFs in the game though, enc-none, mug, and darkside all kick rear end

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay cool! I'll just leave them learning stuff for a while then. I like Brothers also though that was a really tricky fight

Gonna have to learn triple triad, surely it can't be that hard. kids play this game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

diabolos does percentage damage so it cant actually kill anything until it hits level 100. its probably top three GFs in the game though, enc-none, mug, and darkside all kick rear end

he also can't hit for more than 9999, which two later GFs can (but it's still faster to just swing repeatedly for 9999)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm kind of gettin the urge for a series playthrough, is the PSX version of 1 available anywhere other than FF origins?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol the amount of times I’ve done this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

i'm kind of gettin the urge for a series playthrough, is the PSX version of 1 available anywhere other than FF origins?

It looks like it's almost the same as the WonderSwan version (lol), but otherwise no. there's a GBA version, though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It looks like it's almost the same as the WonderSwan version (lol), but otherwise no. there's a GBA version, though

oh well, thought not. its a shame, imo its the best version, it pretty much just fixed bugs and added QoL stuff without actually changing core gameplay. dawn of souls was OK but switching from vancian spells to MP was real stupid and messed up balance like crazy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You can get Final Fantasy Origins as a PS1 classic and play it on PSP/Vita if you really wanna

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

oh well, thought not. its a shame, imo its the best version, it pretty much just fixed bugs and added QoL stuff without actually changing core gameplay. dawn of souls was OK but switching from vancian spells to MP was real stupid and messed up balance like crazy

yeah, it looks like the 3DS and mobile remakes include the MP too. i can't tell if the imported the "easy mode" mandatory thing from dawn of souls.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You can get Final Fantasy Origins as a PS1 classic and play it on PSP/Vita if you really wanna

gently caress yeah

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I played FF8 the first time using summons on everything and only bothering with junction once powerful spells started to appear. replayed it last year and got really into triple triad, definitely the best final fantasy minigame. don't forget to try and draw from every boss, missing out on a summon is horrible

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

I got through 1 in the GBA version then hit a brick wall because my red mage couldn't either heal or damage enough to keep up with the final boss, until I discovered that I could just have him and the black mage cast haste on the fighter and monk a million times and kill it in one turn

Yes I had the 8 bit theatre party. I was 11 years old pease do not troll me .

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that's not even the 8 Bit party, they used a theif instead of a monk

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh you're right it was thief, I'm kind of relieved I don't remember my party in an RPG in 2004 perfectly.

Thief in ff1 wasn't very good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Thief in ff1 wasn't very good

yeah. the monk owns because you don't have to buy anything with them and they can more or less OHKO the final boss. the only party I've beat it with is Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage, I should mix it up the next time I play

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ve been drawing every enemy in the return to balamb and maxing all spells possible to 100 and zooming up in power gyahahaha

Listening to a podcast and the switch version has triple speed so an enjoyable evening

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I played FF1 on a hacked 3DS, but it helps that I can read Japanese. I only beat it once but my party was Fighter Monk Redmage Whitemage. Their names are イ, ロ, ハ, and ニ.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I’ve been drawing every enemy in the return to balamb and maxing all spells possible to 100 and zooming up in power gyahahaha

Listening to a podcast and the switch version has triple speed so an enjoyable evening

;)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol ty

I am having a lot of fun now with regular attacks, been going up mad loads. Totally absorbed almost every spell I've seen now. And been focussing on what ever Attribute-Js I'm missing for certain characters. Squall is so slow to draw because he doesn't have Mag-J yet lol. Was glad that NORG had a no damage phase so I drew like 4 new spells to max against him and got Leviathan too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Played more ReMake tonight and over all I enjoy it a tonne but the battling has some issues. The way interrupts work can be really obnoxious. Like if the cure effect goes off and you lose the MP it should activate or you shouldn't lose the MP. Also I just had a fight during the Chocobo side quest where the three enemies are highly resistant to Magic and Physical and when you stagger them to 100% it drops instantly. Like what is that battle lol? There is not good strategy it's just really long. The Tonberry fight also felt similarly obtuse even when I used Assess.