Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How many variant covers are they gonna do? They;ve shown like a half dozen, it's nuts.

Binary Badger posted:

Yet another Rise of Ultraman cover, this one by Yuji Kaida..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

How many variant covers are they gonna do? They;ve shown like a half dozen, it's nuts.

A mere 6? They haven't even begun to start!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

1st issue means its gonna get all the variants they can throw at it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alaois posted:

1st issue means its gonna get all the variants they can throw at it

That's going to make it hard for people who want to get all the different covers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

That's going to make it hard for people who want to get all the different covers.

hard? oh no.

expensive? oh yes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sT7S3XjgCg

Welcome to western comics

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Star Wars #1 had like 77 variants when released.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

You better hope it doesn't go into multiple printings.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I dunno if Ultraman mugging Zetton for his lunch money is gonna be much of a thing anyway.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

You better hope it doesn't go into multiple printings.

I do hope it's successful enough to get multiple printings. I guess I'll probably end up grabbing just a couple covers I really like.

Binary Badger posted:

I dunno if Ultraman mugging Zetton for his lunch money is gonna be much of a thing anyway.

I think like the sixth or seventh Ultraman's whole deal was that he was a master of Space Martial Arts, which basically meant that he was the first Ultraman who had a fighting style more advanced than the sort of crude brawling of the previous Ultras

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd just been wondering what Ryan North had been up to since Squirrel Girl ended.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
North is also doing the power pack book they announced right after officially cancelling future foundation...which featured all the power pack kids

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

North is also doing the power pack book they announced right after officially cancelling future foundation...which featured all the power pack kids
Meant to include this in my post and just forgot to hit ctrl-v

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1295817527780663297?s=19

It's not that surprising if Future Foundation was selling poorly and they wanted to slap "from the writer of Squirrel Girl on the cover." Maybe with the idea of some comic nerd who read Power Pack in the 80s might have their own kids now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel literally quietly told Whitley they were cancelling FF immediately after the first issue was released

Tbh I don't know why they ordered future foundation in the first place

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Man, Thor #6. My eyes are still rolling at that last panel. It all reads like fanfiction after the fresh creation and consistent characterization of the Aaron years.

Nobody in Thor is acting like people. Thor is grim for no reason. Galactus whips between furious and grovelling on a dime. Regarding the Black Winter I've no idea what his deal really is, or why Thor talks to him, or why he suddenly kills Galactus, or why he then turns on the Winter. The Winter seems to be properly dead, and only serves to prophesy a truly ludicrous Thanos/Marvel Zombies crossover event. Why was everyone aware of him as the cosmic end of everything? Why did he go about ending universes if all he wanted was to find his herald? Was Cates not aware that the Galactus-as-Herlad moment was done with much more significant impact elsewhere? Cates seems to love taking the triumphs of successful writers and offering his own critique on them. Everyone fights all the time to service the plot, then talks the next chapter. Then fight again. Then it's back to more empty grim reflection. I know it was always going to be a struggle to follow Aaron's run but there's just zero joy and heart to what Cates is writing here. It's all hollow boasts and sermons on how powerful everyone is and how grave this threat is with no flesh to the bones. After 6 chapters I'd really hoped for something to coalesce beyond a cool redesign and grim exhortations, but if Aaron's run was epic stadium-rock then this is nu-metal. And not like Hybrid Theory, like Remember Who You Are.

There is a really great Thor reaction panel towards the end though.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Thor #6 is a comic that is so bad it's made me like earlier Cates creations less, and feels like he's spent years in fringes of the Marvel Universe for a reason.

Creating a totally new villain just to be killed off, and kill off Galactus, and set up your new event which is just... it's just 'Thanos gets the infinity gems', 'Someone who really shouldn't gets the hammer', and 'marvel zombies?' all mashed together, along with what looks like some good old fashioned DC arm-replacement, and... man, you hit it big because you made Cosmic Deadpool and then said "psych, that's the punisher" and like Deadpool and his "He's deathstroke but he jokes" other writers fixed it afterwards- Dennis Hopeless, in this case.

Like Knull was already giving me BWL vibes, this just... nah. I think I'm gonna not be following Thor unless I start hearing good things again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Meant to include this in my post and just forgot to hit ctrl-v

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1295817527780663297?s=19

It's not that surprising if Future Foundation was selling poorly and they wanted to slap "from the writer of Squirrel Girl on the cover." Maybe with the idea of some comic nerd who read Power Pack in the 80s might have their own kids now.

If Julie doesn’t get her muscle wife Rikki I refuse to buy it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:hmmyes:

But also North refused to do anything more than tease Doreen x Nancy in usg so prepare for disappointment

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

I'd just been wondering what Ryan North had been up to since Squirrel Girl ended.

One can guess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Years from now, people will use the phrase "trapping yourself in a skateboarding hole" instead of painting yourself in a corner.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Frankly, it's a little amazing that after Ryan got stuck in the hole Marvel didn't say "maybe we should have our Squirrel Girl comic written by someone who doesn't get stuck in holes."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I wound up rereading a bunch of McDuffie's work on Unlimited.

It's cool and good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Frankly, it's a little amazing that after Ryan got stuck in the hole Marvel didn't say "maybe we should have our Squirrel Girl comic written by someone who doesn't get stuck in holes."

It's all BS, anyway. He's like 10 feet tall and can easily put Chompsky up and climb out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

It's all BS, anyway. He's like 10 feet tall and can easily put Chompsky up and climb out.

But what would he have to gain by lying about being stuck in a hole?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gripweed posted:

But what would he have to gain by lying about being stuck in a hole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4HTvVM3U3U

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1296193974282199040?s=21

I would like to see it voice: I would like to see it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Dan Didio posted:

i'm in, very happy to see Gillen returning to the Marvel Universe for the first time in... 5 years? his last was the Secret Wars: Siege mini, right?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

i'm in, very happy to see Gillen returning to the Marvel Universe for the first time in... 5 years? his last was the Secret Wars: Siege mini, right?

aside from a one-page Loki story in Marvel Comics #1000, I believe so, yes. very excited for this

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dan Didio posted:

Daaaaaaang that's a dream team. :eyepop:

Also, :agreed: with everyone on Thor. I'm afraid the character's legendary "not a single bad series" run is finally coming to an end. Sad to see that it's at the hand of a writer who is capable of delivering much better work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Daaaaaaang that's a dream team. :eyepop:

Also, :agreed: with everyone on Thor. I'm afraid the character's legendary "not a single bad series" run is finally coming to an end. Sad to see that it's at the hand of a writer who is capable of delivering much better work.

¿Que?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think they mean, recently. Not that it's been an unbroken line since the age of Stan & Jack.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Right, I meant since 2010/2011 when JMS left the book and it was rebranded Journey into Mystery. That's nearly 10 years of stellar comics without break.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'd argue that Matt Fraction's run on Thor (that was concurrent to Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery) for most of the time was fair to middling, certainly not "legendary".

What you're mostly describing is "Jason Aaron wrote eight years of good Thor books, and now Donny Cates is writing less-good ones."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm also going to argue that Ellis' Thor run was not great, and that most runs of the character in the 90's were middling.

Thor definitely did not get shelved for like three years because he "never had a bad run" is all I'm saying.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 19, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Venom: The End confirmed canon, hell yeah.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The worst part about that Thor issue is that it's delivered without any sense of extravagance or confidence. It's setting up something huge, but it's delivered in such a milquetoast way like it's just going through the motions of having shocking things happens with a teaser of what's to come.

I feel like I've read this exact comic a hundred times, just with different permutations of who gets killed and the shocking tease of future events.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If I were a Marvel writer I'd somehow shoehorn in the resurrection of Galactus. Even if I was writing something like Daredevil. "Yep, Galactus is alive!"

How the gently caress do you think you're gonna make Galactus' death stick?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Codependent Poster posted:

If I were a Marvel writer I'd somehow shoehorn in the resurrection of Galactus. Even if I was writing something like Daredevil. "Yep, Galactus is alive!"

How the gently caress do you think you're gonna make Galactus' death stick?

Someone is going to shoot him with the Ultimate Anti-Nullifier.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Galactus being dead will last as long as Galactus the life bringer did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

But also North refused to do anything more than tease Doreen x Nancy in usg so prepare for disappointment

Yeah, he was cagey when asked about it from what I recall. It's entirely possible that he, like unfortunately a lot of people, didn't read Future Foundation.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm also going to argue that Ellis' Thor run was not great, and that most runs of the character in the 90's were middling.

I have a friend who will bare knuckle fight to defend the DeFalco run. (Do I agree? Well, I think it's fun enough if you already like Thor but it is very early 90's.)