Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Castor Poe posted:

Hi, looking for some recommendations. I'm completely burned out with AAA games. I gave Disco Elysium a shot, really enjoyed the little I got to play, but sadly had to give up because my schedule made it impossible to keep up with what the gently caress was going on, or remember what character I talked to on my last session. I only have time, every now and then, to play an hour or two before bed, making it really hard to commit to a game of that magnitude.

So, I'm looking for something board gamesy -- relatively simple, yet challenging (and fun), you can play in short sessions and easily jump back in anytime. Something in the vein of Puzzle Quest, maybe?

Edit: Will definitely give DE another go when/if things go back to normal.

Desktop Dungeons is exactly what you’re looking for. It looks like a rogue lite but it’s really a puzzle game. Perfect to play in small doses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What kind of game is Spiritfarer exactly? I skipped around a 15 minute gameplay slice and it seemed to be like 80% dialogue trees, is that accurate?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anonymous Robot posted:

What kind of game is Spiritfarer exactly? I skipped around a 15 minute gameplay slice and it seemed to be like 80% dialogue trees, is that accurate?

It's pretty much about managing the wants and needs of characters that are awaiting the afterlife... with some light platforming, farming, crafting, mining, and base building. It's extremely relaxing and low stress and I kind of love it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsYE304k94

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's hard to really categorize, but "Stardew Valley on a boat" doesn't seem wrong. It's very chill and undemanding. You're Technicolor Charon and talk to people while sending them off to wherever and building things on your boat.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Doc Holliday posted:

I know this was from a few pages ago but I had the same problem when I was playing Kiwami 0 on my ancient Q6600 processor.
It seems the CPU requests run the system resources at 100% because they seemingly wrote everything as an individual request in the game. There is a fix that shockingly comes from the Steam forum itself. It's annoying that you need to run it every time you start the game but it worked flawlessly for me and it turned out my potato PC could run the game just fine 1080p/60 with everything maxed.

Kiwami 0 freeze lag fix
https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1743343017611184022/?ctp=2

Tried every version of that program on the site and none of them could even detect the game's process to hook into it. :(

Castor Poe posted:

Hi, looking for some recommendations. I'm completely burned out with AAA games. I gave Disco Elysium a shot, really enjoyed the little I got to play, but sadly had to give up because my schedule made it impossible to keep up with what the gently caress was going on, or remember what character I talked to on my last session. I only have time, every now and then, to play an hour or two before bed, making it really hard to commit to a game of that magnitude.

So, I'm looking for something board gamesy -- relatively simple, yet challenging (and fun), you can play in short sessions and easily jump back in anytime. Something in the vein of Puzzle Quest, maybe?

Edit: Will definitely give DE another go when/if things go back to normal.

Seconding Into the Breach; it can be kind of brutal and you often have to consider your moves carefully, but good for short sessions and feels kind of board gamey.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Deakul posted:

It's pretty much about managing the wants and needs of characters that are awaiting the afterlife... with some light platforming, farming, crafting, mining, and base building. It's extremely relaxing and low stress and I kind of love it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsYE304k94

The light platforming is akin to a metroidvania.... without enemies and without an HP bar. You unlock things over time by helping story NPCs like double jump, glide etc This should feel very familiar progression wise. Except it's chill and forgiving.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Interesting. I don’t think that would really be for me but I will give it a try. My partner might like it though!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Spiritfarer is rated T for some reason, is it really inappropriate to play with a toddler running around the room?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Desktop Dungeons is exactly what you’re looking for. It looks like a rogue lite but it’s really a puzzle game. Perfect to play in small doses.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Seconding Into the Breach; it can be kind of brutal and you often have to consider your moves carefully, but good for short sessions and feels kind of board gamey.

Extremely my poo poo, thanks guys!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Unreal_One posted:

Spiritfarer is rated T for some reason, is it really inappropriate to play with a toddler running around the room?
Heavy themes of death. It won't give a toddler nightmares, but it's maybe a bit conceptually heavy for a smaller kid? Well, it's a maturity thing. Some kids could deal with that, some could not.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You can hug your cat. :qq:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

OzFactor posted:

Remnant question: I just got through the first boss (it was Gorefist and it took me a while but I got him by just being really patient and only shooting at him when I was sure there were no poison bubble dudes left). After jumping over a railing in the next area I apparently unlocked a new trait which gives me... +1% speed jumping over railings? You want me to spend a trait point on that?

My question is: at some point am I going to have useful traits to spend these points on? I dropped a couple into health and stamina but I'm saving the rest in hopes that there will be something useful. But this +1% rail jumping sure discourages me.

xp >>> hp and stamina are best initially imo. Eventually more involved stuff gets unlocked, but those three help so much. The game isn’t really about leveling up the traits imo- they are not a super thrilling part of the game.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Castor Poe posted:

If “board gamey” extends to “card gamey” you might also like Monster Train, Slay the Spire, Dream Quest, and/or Frost.

E: If you try Talisman, know that it’s more of an experience than a game, per se. Randomness layered on randomness on top of roll-to-move means that it’s pretty much impossible to play competitively. It can be fun just to sit back see what happens and the option to play solo means that you don’t have to inflict it on others :v:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stickman posted:

If “board gamey” extends to “card gamey” you might also like Monster Train, Slay the Spire, Dream Quest, and/or Frost.

E: If you try Talisman, know that it’s more of an experience than a game, per se. Randomness layered on randomness on top of roll-to-move means that it’s pretty much impossible to play competitively but it can be fun just to sit back see what happens and the option to play solo means that you don’t have to inflict it on others :v:

It also can't count and there are about a dozen different systems that exist solely to gently caress you

I love it

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like we’ll be seeing a lot more demo events.

https://twitter.com/aldenkroll/status/1296129831290068993

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What the gently caress don't recommend Talisman. You might as well recommend Monopoly to the poor guy.

For short burst games, I've been enjoying the Glass Masquerade series. Not difficult jigsaw puzzles, but pretty relaxing. Everyday Genius and Paint It Back are sudoku (sorta) and picross, respectively, and are also good for short bursts. Even something along the lines of the Zachtronic games (Spacechem was my entry point) can probably work, depending on how thinky you want your short game bursts to be.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
For the King, Armello, Slay the Spire, and a host of board game implementations (Battlelore, Agricola All Creatures Big and Small, Spirit Island, etc) are good for board gamey stuff.

Could also look at tactics games like Xcom:Chimera Squad, Wargroove, and Fell Seal for things that also scratch the itch.

Finally you could take the plunge and just straight up play board games with Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia.

Lot of options. Some things I would avoid (like Talisman), but market is deeper now than it was 5 years ago.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

It also can't count and there are about a dozen different systems that exist solely to gently caress you

I love it

Yeah, I loved it when I was a kid but my neighbor and I mostly played it to see how many systems we could break before we had to go home. :v: The digital edition is fun for much the same reason, but now I understand why my father absolutely refused to play the game again after his first time.

Now that there are a lot of other epic adventure and dungeon delving options it's tough to recommend Talisman as a physical game. Unfortunately most of what I'd recommend instead don't have digital editions (Eldritch Horror, Imperial Assault / Descent 2.0, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Gloomhaven, Runebound, The City of Kings, Gloom of Kilforth, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, Clank!).

E: Can't forget Mage Knight / Star Trek Frontiers!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 19, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

What the gently caress don't recommend Talisman. You might as well recommend Monopoly to the poor guy.
...but I like Monopoly. :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

For short burst games, I've been enjoying the Glass Masquerade series. Not difficult jigsaw puzzles, but pretty relaxing. Everyday Genius and Paint It Back are sudoku (sorta) and picross, respectively, and are also good for short bursts. Even something along the lines of the Zachtronic games (Spacechem was my entry point) can probably work, depending on how thinky you want your short game bursts to be.

Ooh Zachtronic games are an absolute must-try for anyone interested in puzzlers. I personally like Opus Magnum as an entry point because it doubles down on Spacechem's spatial components. Get friends for your leaderboards over in the Zachtronics thread!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Cardiovorax posted:

...but I like Monopoly. :(

My condolences.

For boardgame stuff, the best bet is probably Tabletop Simulator. It’s janky but I guarantee someone has make a decent module for whatever you want to play.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Monopoly sucks slightly less when people actually use the loving auction rules.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Talisman is Monopoly if it both respected your time less, somehow and also had a dozen random chances to just completely gently caress you over.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 19, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Talisman is the infinite marketing of a hundred properties like Monopoly combined with the strategic acumen of Chutes and Ladders.

Playing liars dice while debating dungeons and dragons is a better experience if you want to roll dice while something vaguely themed happens in the background.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I like Talisman because I bought it in Early Access and got like the first two years of DLC for free and so I always just turn everything on and have absolutely zero idea what is happening while the game throws a thousand pop-ups at me about dragon kings and alignments and whatnot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What decisions are there to make in Talisman anyway, most of the time I do hear it described as Chutes and Ladders like above and that's basically just a dice rolling exercise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xarbala posted:

What decisions are there to make in Talisman anyway, most of the time I do hear it described as Chutes and Ladders like above and that's basically just a dice rolling exercise.

I mean you're choosing what to roll dice about - and there can actually be a fair bit of strategy to that part - but it comes down to the dice so heavily that your choices can frequently be totally meaningless, hence the Chutes and Ladders bit.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cardiovorax posted:

Heavy themes of death. It won't give a toddler nightmares, but it's maybe a bit conceptually heavy for a smaller kid? Well, it's a maturity thing. Some kids could deal with that, some could not.

I mean, the kid can't really read. Is it just the themes in the text? Trailers made it look un-voice-acted, so if it doesn't have anything gross or scary visually it should be fine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Unreal_One posted:

I mean, the kid can't really read. Is it just the themes in the text? Trailers made it look un-voice-acted, so if it doesn't have anything gross or scary visually it should be fine.
From what I've seen so far, it's all dialogue and context you wouldn't be able to figure out just from looking at the game, nothing spooky. Having a kid in the room while you play should be no problem.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Vampire the Masquerade 2 Drama: Brian Mitsoda has been fired from the sequel.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/19/brian-mitsoda-has-been-fired-as-narrative-lead-on-bloodlines-2/

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Unreal_One posted:

I haven't played it but it really seems like the polar opposite of that kind of experience.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Has anyone been playing the new Hexcells update? The user levels are kind of a neat thing, and the hard mode toggle in the infinite puzzle mode is making some more interesting ones as well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have been a Vampire LARPer for 20 years and I can assure you that it isnt really a Vampire game unless a member of the staff gets booted for some gross poo poo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Considering they replaced him with a former Ubisoft employee, I wouldn't be surprised if the gross poo poo was imported rather than kicked out in this case.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Did Mitsoda do something? I haven't seen any controversy and I don't really want to speculate on that in the absence of evidence. This smells more like publisher interference or the development on Bloodlines 2 being mismanaged(possibly by Mitsoda).

Mitsoda's statement suggests Paradox is unhappy with the state of the game and they forced a delay and pushed him out without talking to him.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 20, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I love Jets ‘N’ Guns and the sequel. I have played them to death though- Any shmups on Steam with that kind of chaotic energy and fun/insane guns/sense of humor/explosions?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Considering they replaced him with a former Ubisoft employee, I wouldn't be surprised if the gross poo poo was imported rather than kicked out in this case.
you're not familiar with white wolf then lmao

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Impermanent posted:

you're not familiar with white wolf then lmao
True enough, I only recognize Mitsoda by name because he wrote the previous game. Wasn't that mostly a Troika production, though? I'm not sure how much input White Wolf had on that. The article certainly made it sound like the whole thing came a bit out of nowhere rather than being spurred by anything he did. Even the Paradox statement is the most generic PR thing imaginable and doesn't imply anything in particular.

I love Jets ‘N’ Guns and the sequel. I have played them to death though- Any shmups on Steam with that kind of chaotic energy and fun/insane guns/sense of humor/explosions?
Not really big on the humor, but I really used to love Raptor: Call of the Shadows. It's cheap on GOG and very fun. Looks pretty great, too, for its age.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 19, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tyrian 2000 is free on gog.com if you don't mind something older

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

Tyrian 2000 is free on gog.com if you don't mind something older

Holy hell, Tyrian 2000 was my jam in the late 90s. Might have to check this out.