Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Real Hufflepuff post

Categorising people? Check out old mate Slytherin over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harry Potter is really a pretty bleak dystopian world if you factor in all of the stuff about how wizards horde their unlimited resources and abilities to themselves. The books straight up endorse prejudice and racism. At least in Black Panther, they decide to share all of their technology with the rest of the world, but then everyone died in the next movie anyways.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hagrid's pretty cool

Sirius got done dirty though

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
From what I can tell there was 1 good guy house, 2 evil houses and then the irrelevant house.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spring Break My Heart posted:

From what I can tell there was 1 good guy house, 2 evil houses and then the irrelevant house.

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/762038953721597953

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They're all british aristocracy, every house is evil

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Spring Break My Heart posted:

what was the other evil one? i feel like ravenclawn and hufflepuff were both irrelevant, largely.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I bamboozled myself into a loving Harry Potter conversation

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hufflepuff is the stoner chill house

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would rather talk about Harry Potter than Star Wars, but if I had to choose, Marvel movies. Although ideally none of these things.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Sci-fi is the only good spec fic fantasy is boring and reactionary

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sci-fi is just Harry Potter but Gryffindors are humans and the other houses are aliens

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

sci-fi is just Harry Potter but Gryffindors are humans and the other houses are aliens

Tell me 1 sci-fi that is like this

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Are there any fun books that take the "We're a secret society of wizards/men-in-black/superheroes" premise but have the protagonist realize that they're constantly mind-wiping the populace from casually blowing their cover in stupid hijinks that are not beholden to host-nation laws and in response goes "gently caress this bullshit" and distributes the secret bone-healing potions/alien cancer treatments to the populace?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What Hogwarts house would Chewbacca be sorted into? Please note that Wookies do not possess souls.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Tell me 1 sci-fi that is like this

all of them

Infinitum posted:

What Hogwarts house would Chewbacca be sorted into? Please note that Wookies do not possess souls.

Hufflepuff, the house for irrelevant window dressing

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Chewbacca has torn the Sorting Hat asunder

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Are there any fun books that take the "We're a secret society of wizards/men-in-black/superheroes" premise but have the protagonist realize that they're constantly mind-wiping the populace from casually blowing their cover in stupid hijinks that are not beholden to host-nation laws and in response goes "gently caress this bullshit" and distributes the secret bone-healing potions/alien cancer treatments to the populace?

If Wizards are so great why do they imprison people in paintings for all eternity after they die?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinitum posted:

Hmmm that’s a good question what house would the slave owning human wizard population would put a non-human in.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Imagining the timeline where Earthsea became as popular as Harry Potter

How about Culture instead?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

This is now a Culture ship name thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

I watch my Let's Plays, not read them

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I've read somewhere that the society in Harry Potter is pretty accurate to the ideal Blairite republic or w/e.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This is now a Culture ship name thread

Fart Trapped In A Metal Box

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ChickenHeart posted:

Watchmen, kind of? Definitely subverts this theme but not in the way you suggest.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ChickenHeart posted:

Wanted.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Usually when your story is about destroying that society from the inside that happens.

New Wolfenstein uses that trope as a basis for why the Nazis got super weapons and its a plot thread that leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I don't like it even if I understand the alternative is also bad.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes, but on the flip side you can kill Nazis to make yourself feel better about it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Barudak posted:

it was pretty funny when the one irish kid got poo poo on in the latter books. and also the one black kid dated ron's sister and he did a spit take. lol these books were so bad

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Barudak posted:

Yeah, even the Griffindor house (the "good" guys) is eventually shown to have pilfered its legendary treasures from non-human communities (although they see it differently).

ChickenHeart posted:

The problem is as soon as they do that they stop being secret, so it only works if you're willing to blow up the premise. Alan Moore did it a couple times for example, like in Miracleman, but instead it turns into a sort of benevolent post-human dictatorship that loses sight of what it is to be human. Or you get stuff like Top 10 where all the secret stuff is out in the open but we still get the same crappy world, only with super-capitalism, super-war-crimes, super-crooked-cops, super-cancer and super-lawyers, because human nature has successfully been preserved.

I kinda like the Luluco variant where the secret super alien society is out in the open but no one gives a drat because it's turned out aliens are kinda lame.

Chev fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 19, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

it was pretty funny when the one irish kid got poo poo on in the latter books. and also the one black kid dated ron's sister and he did a spit take. lol these books were so bad

Rons whole family treats the french girl one of sons is dating like trash because she's French

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DLC Inc posted:

Cho. Chang.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

DLC Inc posted:

none of the kids were black in the books if it helps

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

thehoodie posted:

Watchmen, kind of? Definitely subverts this theme but not in the way you suggest.

"I will avert the onset of war and unite our species!"

*obliterates millions of innocents who had little-to-no influence in world affairs, leaving malicious status quo governments intact; all while unloading a deluge of liquid poo poo into my toga costume and the supercomputer behind me*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

Usually when your story is about destroying that society from the inside that happens.

New Wolfenstein uses that trope as a basis for why the Nazis got super weapons and its a plot thread that leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I don't like it even if I understand the alternative is also bad.

i've seen this opinion posted elsewhere and it's wrong, the nazis basically crowbarred open one of the superweapon vaults and robbed it blind, at which point the secret society tried to convene so that they could determine how to distribute their technology to non-nazis to counter it

unfortunately the nazis got to them first

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i've seen this opinion posted elsewhere and it's wrong, the nazis basically crowbarred open one of the superweapon vaults and robbed it blind, at which point the secret society tried to convene so that they could determine how to distribute their technology to non-nazis to counter it

unfortunately the nazis got to them first

Having a secret cabal of technology not shared with people is the plot that lets the Nazi's get the tech and plays into Jewish conspiracy myths. The issue is the alternative is presenting the Nazis as remotely scientific anything in their own right which is probably worse.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Fleur Delacour was basically a stereotypical French woman. JK didn't hide her politics at all looking back at that series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

Having a secret cabal of technology not shared with people is the plot that lets the Nazi's get the tech and plays into Jewish conspiracy myths. The issue is the alternative is presenting the Nazis as remotely scientific anything in their own right which is probably worse.

da'at yichud's concept of creation strictly as a way to commune with the divine without practical application was super cool actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This is still the best piece of Harry Potter media

https://youtu.be/tKNhPpUR0Pg