Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yeah I figured that a 2.0 HDMI should work fine since it's probably going to be years until any Console games actually use it.
I mean I was a little disappointed to learn that this LG 2019 Soundbar only went up to 2.0 and thus didn't support eArc, since all the LG 2019 TV's were super on board with 2.1 HDMI and eArc.
But that's capatalisim I guess. Get a 2020 Soundbar to optimise your 2019 TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
So i need a quick sanity check, how good is a second hand sony 55" tv from 2012 a KDL-55HX850? I've found one on gumtree (craigslist for those not in the uk) .for ~£130. We've been looking for something big-ish for the shared space in our new flat Considering that most of the content will we 1080p anyway is it worth it? will we get at around 2 years out of it without going completely mad.

edit: We are mostly like using it for watching youtube netflix and some light very casual gaming at least a 1/3 of this time will be in the evening probably while drinking.

HERAK fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 19, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

quote:

The HX850 doesn’t disappoint when it comes to contrast. The 55HX850 has an outstanding contrast ratio of 6005:1. This is made possible because of the peak black level of 0.06 cd/m2 and the great peak white level of 360.30 cd/m2 which is very luminous.

For 130 quid, you could probably get a slightly brighter screen (budget screens tend to be around 350-500 nits), and likely nowhere near as big, but absolute black levels haven't really improved since then, outside of OLED being able to turn off individual pixels. It should be fine.

It's still more than twice as many nits as my plasma from the same year. :haw:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 19, 2020

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Well after three years waiting around for HDMI 2.1 TVs and receivers I finally sorted out my cinema area with a new Denon HDMI 2.1-compatible amp and an LG GX77. All I can say about the TV is "wow". I have a Q90 in my living room and it looks great - better than any other TV I had previously owned, but the OLED is next level. It being bigger and having a more appropriate viewing distance vs what we have in the living room helps of course.

So far I've watched Black Panther, Infinity War and bits of Frozen 2 on it in UHD Blu-ray, Howl's Moving Castle on Netflix and played a bit of No Man's Sky, and I'm in love with the silky, colourful images. TV nirvana.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

jokes posted:

I connected my LG B9 to the internet to update it because I figured that might be a good idea. Then I disconnected it from the internet and went back to using my Apple TV for everything. The one thing I wish I could do was use the LG's gyroscopic poo poo to control my AppleTV because the gyro in that bad boy works really, really well.

I use the internal apps on my C9, which I recently got and haven't used much, and to my surprise last night I found out simply picking the remote up resumes the show I was watching on Netflix. Pretty neat and I know my C6 didn't do that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The android tv section of my X850E isn't up to snuff, I wanted to put my Shield in the bedroom with the old 46" 1080p but I decided to use the fire stick in there. Plus I can game stream to the living room TV with the shield, and its quite nice.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

So, you gain a marginal amount of personal privacy at the expense of putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage in acquiring content.

So why won't anyone else do it?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah I figured that a 2.0 HDMI should work fine since it's probably going to be years until any Console games actually use it.
I mean I was a little disappointed to learn that this LG 2019 Soundbar only went up to 2.0 and thus didn't support eArc, since all the LG 2019 TV's were super on board with 2.1 HDMI and eArc.
But that's capatalisim I guess. Get a 2020 Soundbar to optimise your 2019 TV.

If you're using a soundbar I guarantee you won't be able to tell the difference between an ARC stream and the higher bandwidth eARC one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

codo27 posted:

Yeah you needn't worry about high refresh rates with consoles, that's like me inquiring about highway speed limits for my Honda

Can you explain this a bit more? I posted last page but didn't get a reply about a couple of budget tvs for my ps4 (and soon ps5)

for example this budget model

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu8000

vs this

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled

about a $300 difference

It sounds like this VRR and 120 Hz stuff and such is really only needed if the game supports it though.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 19, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Residency Evil posted:

So why won't anyone else do it?

Why do you think HBO Max and Peacock aren't on Amazon devices?

This is also part of why Time Warner pulled out of Apple TV Channels for HBO Max. They don't want Apple tracking what HBO Max users are watching.

Look, I hate ads and I think advertising is a scourge most of the time that hurts user experience. The tracking that's happening on Roku or Android TV devices are being used to target ad delivery so that someone can feel more justified about the price they are paying to promote a piece of content. Yes someone else is making money on trading on your trends and preferences and it feels sleazy.

Apple is using the data they are collecting from you to lock you further into the Apple ecosystem and to create an uneven playing field when negotiating for content and services. You are free to reach your own conclusions as to which is more harmful to you long term as a consumer, but just realize there's nothing altruistic about Apple's approach to privacy. When you have a vertically integrated highly walled garden, you are the best customer for the data you collect from your users.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 19, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

qirex posted:

If you're using a soundbar I guarantee you won't be able to tell the difference between an ARC stream and the higher bandwidth eARC one.

Oh I’d agree. I’m almost certainly not going to be able to tell the difference in sound quality.
Like I’ll go further and say that I’m not going to notice a lot of difference in sound quality in between speaker types or receivers etc...unless it’s a very obvious one.

The reason why I cared was more (from my understanding) that if a Soundbar had eARC, it supported HDMI 2.1 cables. Which meant that when I get my PS5, I can just use HDMI 2.1 cables to connect the PS5 to my Soundbar and another 2.1 cable to go from the Soundbar to the TV.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

The reason why I cared was more (from my understanding) that if a Soundbar had eARC, it supported HDMI 2.1 cables. Which meant that when I get my PS5, I can just use HDMI 2.1 cables to connect the PS5 to my Soundbar and another 2.1 cable to go from the Soundbar to the TV.

ARC should still work, just have the PS5 output a compatible format.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Sad I haven't found the solution to fixing my LG C6. Replaced the main board, both power boards and it still won't display a picture. Turns on, power light flashed 3 times then nothing. The last board to try is the t-con(?) board so that's now on the way.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I’d agree. I’m almost certainly not going to be able to tell the difference in sound quality.
Like I’ll go further and say that I’m not going to notice a lot of difference in sound quality in between speaker types or receivers etc...unless it’s a very obvious one.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

eArc is part of HDMI 2.1 but doesn't require HDMI 2.1, so yeah just having eArc support doesn't indicate HDMI 2.1 support. You need to explicitly look for HDMI 2.1 support.

So if you want 4K 120Hz VRR support from the new consoles and you don't have an HDMI 2.1 supporting receiver (I think only one Denon model right now) you'll have to plug them straight into the TV, and then have the TV output audio over either eArc or ARC to the receiver/soundbar.

If your receiver isn't 2.1 and doesn't support eArc and you want Dolby Atmos etc. in that setup, you'd have to use something like the Sharc audio extractor, which takes eArc and converts it to a standard HDMI input, so you set your receiver/soundbar to get audio from that HDMI input instead of from the ARC when playing your new console.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The 55" CX in the UK has come down from £1699 to £1599. I don't think the other Xs have moved although I haven't been paying hawklike attention to those.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Green Gloves posted:

If you're going to gaming get a high speed 48 HDMI cable which will support 4K@120HZ. Once new consoles and RTX cards drop we are supposed to see HDMI 2.1 being used.

Sorry I meant brands, are there any particular brands of HDMI cable I should be looking for or avoiding?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Can you explain this a bit more? I posted last page but didn't get a reply about a couple of budget tvs for my ps4 (and soon ps5)

for example this budget model

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu8000

vs this

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled

about a $300 difference

It sounds like this VRR and 120 Hz stuff and such is really only needed if the game supports it though.

Rtings will guide you right when it comes to making a decision, look for the input lag /gaming ratings. Consoles are cheap boxes made to play games easily en masse, while computers are capable of running games at super high frames that can benefit from the VRR and high refresh rate panels. Some games now will give you the option to either prefer graphics or FPS so in those cases you will benefit, but I dont believe it to be something you should base your purchasing decision on. Just get something that can handle gaming well with low input lag, for the love of god ignore samsung in general. VRR is a nice thing to have, but I wouldn't worry about it if you are only doing console gaming, if you have to pay a premium for it which I think you might.

This is oversimplifying but there are 3 tiers of TVs you should buy, ascending by price. TCL/Hisense, which are becoming more and more impressive all the time, Sony 900 series or LG OLED.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Listerine posted:

Sorry I meant brands, are there any particular brands of HDMI cable I should be looking for or avoiding?

I believe there are still no certified 2.1 HDMI cables right now, so definitely don't buy some random cable off Amazon.

The new consoles should come with HDMI 2.1 cables, as the previous Pro and X releases included an HDMI 2.0 cable, so consider that.

That said, Monoprice is generally reputable and if you do insist on buying any right now, theirs are probably the ones to get:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31231

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

codo27 posted:

Rtings will guide you right when it comes to making a decision, look for the input lag /gaming ratings. Consoles are cheap boxes made to play games easily en masse, while computers are capable of running games at super high frames that can benefit from the VRR and high refresh rate panels. Some games now will give you the option to either prefer graphics or FPS so in those cases you will benefit, but I dont believe it to be something you should base your purchasing decision on. Just get something that can handle gaming well with low input lag, for the love of god ignore samsung in general. VRR is a nice thing to have, but I wouldn't worry about it if you are only doing console gaming, if you have to pay a premium for it which I think you might.

This is oversimplifying but there are 3 tiers of TVs you should buy, ascending by price. TCL/Hisense, which are becoming more and more impressive all the time, Sony 900 series or LG OLED.

why do you say to ignore Samsung? It sounds like either of the tvs I linked would meet my needs pretty well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Samsung TVs aren't bad but they're a bad value. Your dollar can be more efficiently spent elsewhere.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This is a complete shot in the dark but has anyone else had a problem with their Sony Android TV completely ignoring it's current video mode settings? I have a new Sony 65" X900H and have all the motion clarity, soap opera effect settings, etc turned off on HDMI 1 using the Custom video setting. For whatever reason the TV will turn those back on even though they're shown as disabled or off in the menu settings. A software reboot of the TV fixes it but it seems to come back after you turn the tv off. This seems like an annoying software bug. Android! :argh:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

American McGay posted:

Samsung TVs aren't bad but they're a bad value. Your dollar can be more efficiently spent elsewhere.

I guess I'd have to see an example. All the highly rated tvs under the video games category on RTNGS are Samsung (and the one hisense), when I looked at 49 or 50".

I am open to the hisense one, I don't usually trust brands I've never heard of before but it seems to have good reviews.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're highly rated and usually a few hundred above the manufacturer right behind them on whatever list you look at.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

They're highly rated and usually a few hundred above the manufacturer right behind them on whatever list you look at.

I guess they offset costs a bit by having giant ad button space on the remote

If I never hook this up to the internet will I still get ads?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

Why do you think HBO Max and Peacock aren't on Amazon devices?

This is also part of why Time Warner pulled out of Apple TV Channels for HBO Max. They don't want Apple tracking what HBO Max users are watching.

Look, I hate ads and I think advertising is a scourge most of the time that hurts user experience. The tracking that's happening on Roku or Android TV devices are being used to target ad delivery so that someone can feel more justified about the price they are paying to promote a piece of content. Yes someone else is making money on trading on your trends and preferences and it feels sleazy.

Apple is using the data they are collecting from you to lock you further into the Apple ecosystem and to create an uneven playing field when negotiating for content and services. You are free to reach your own conclusions as to which is more harmful to you long term as a consumer, but just realize there's nothing altruistic about Apple's approach to privacy. When you have a vertically integrated highly walled garden, you are the best customer for the data you collect from your users.

No, I hear you, but saying that

bull3964 posted:

So, you gain a marginal amount of personal privacy at the expense of putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage in acquiring content.

seems a bit disingenuous. At the end of the day, me individually using an Apple TV is not "putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage." The reason Roku/Android/etc are priced the way they are is because someone's making money on my data and preferences. Clearly, there are enough people that don't care about the privacy implications that allow multiple companies to exist in the marketplace. No, Apple's not altruistic, but why be angry about a company at least giving a little bit of lip service to privacy concerns?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Samsung TVs also have ads, by the way. Just like their phones. while costing more.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Samsung TVs also have ads, by the way. Just like their phones. while costing more.

yeah I understand - can you answer my question about seeing ads if I don't hook it up to the internet? Because I definitely will want to do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Residency Evil posted:

seems a bit disingenuous. At the end of the day, me individually using an Apple TV is not "putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage." The reason Roku/Android/etc are priced the way they are is because someone's making money on my data and preferences. Clearly, there are enough people that don't care about the privacy implications that allow multiple companies to exist in the marketplace. No, Apple's not altruistic, but why be angry about a company at least giving a little bit of lip service to privacy concerns?

I'm not sure how it's being disingenuous. The data is being hoovered regardless, the argument is that it doesn't matter when Apple is doing it because the end result isn't targeted ad feedback and that them being only one entity is a significant privacy enhancement. That's a dubious conclusion to come to when you start looking at what the data is used for and the potential for misuse.

Apple is collecting the viewing habits of everything viewed through the channels app. They are using that data to target specific programming to purchase (and they have the cash to outbid anyone), they are using that data to put creative pressure on the programming they have purchased, and they are using that data to negotiate prices in iTunes for other studio properties. This all has the potential to become a big issue down the line.

This also isn't being angry. I really don't care what device you use for streaming (aside from the fact that the AppleTV still doesn't handle 24fps playback properly in all instances and still has occasional issues with DV content where the Shield handles both fine). I just want people to recognize that their data is being used to make someone else money regardless of what streaming platform they choose, there's no "good" choice on that front.

Also, the shield 2019 is still the best streamer for 1080p content out there simply due to the AI upscaling which is more than just a gimmick. It actually makes a pretty substantial difference on 4k displays.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

actionjackson posted:

yeah I understand - can you answer my question about seeing ads if I don't hook it up to the internet? Because I definitely will want to do that.

I don't know for certain; if you never hook it up at all, it shouldn't have ads*. If the TV has been connected and downloaded ad images/links, it may or may not display them when offline.
And if the set does display them, it will likely give a connection error when selected... or open the featured app, with the app itself giving a connection error.
Or it may just have a placeholder space. :iiam:

* Not an option with Android TV. Setup requires an online connection.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 19, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TheWevel posted:

This is a complete shot in the dark but has anyone else had a problem with their Sony Android TV completely ignoring it's current video mode settings? I have a new Sony 65" X900H and have all the motion clarity, soap opera effect settings, etc turned off on HDMI 1 using the Custom video setting. For whatever reason the TV will turn those back on even though they're shown as disabled or off in the menu settings. A software reboot of the TV fixes it but it seems to come back after you turn the tv off. This seems like an annoying software bug. Android! :argh:

Why do you want to turn off the best and most important feature on the TV

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Make sure "Auto Picture Mode" is set to Off, that might help, as it will let the TV switch between actual picture modes (which may have Motionflow on).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

codo27 posted:

Rtings will guide you right when it comes to making a decision

This is usually true, although they are occasionally prone to dumb mistakes. For example, for keyboards they often purchase the lowest quality materials for their reviews and this poses significant problems for consumers looking for advice. On my keyboard model, they gave it a 6/10 for "Gaming" but chose the plastic over aluminum model and didn't test the optical key switches designed specifically for gaming, instead choosing the lower quality regular mechanical switches.

For whatever reason, their reviews of TVs and other devices towards gaming are much weaker than the qualities of a TV for watching a movie or upscaling live TV. The "gaming" review components they offer seem secondary to what makes them money.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Kind of tangential question, but does anyone use YouTube TV with an OLED? Direct TV is expensive as hell for what it is and I'm looking to switch to a live streaming service, but I'm concerned about a red rear end YouTube logo burning out a section of the screen.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What year is your OLED? Red is the worst offender when it comes to static burn in, so it's a valid concern. If it's a 6 or a 7 I'd probably be worried and baby it (I've got some ESPN scorebar ghosting on my B6), but if it's an 8 or a 9 then I think you'll be fine as long as you don't run your OLED backlight at >60 all day every day.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Almost Smart posted:

Kind of tangential question, but does anyone use YouTube TV with an OLED? Direct TV is expensive as hell for what it is and I'm looking to switch to a live streaming service, but I'm concerned about a red rear end YouTube logo burning out a section of the screen.

There's no YouTube logo with YouTube TV.

(ETA: I use it with my LG C9).

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

American McGay posted:

What year is your OLED? Red is the worst offender when it comes to static burn in, so it's a valid concern. If it's a 6 or a 7 I'd probably be worried and baby it (I've got some ESPN scorebar ghosting on my B6), but if it's an 8 or a 9 then I think you'll be fine as long as you don't run your OLED backlight at >60 all day every day.

It's a CX, and I wince every time I cast a YouTube video to it because of that blazing hellfire of a logo. It's like they intentionally want it seared into my television screen if not my soul.

Bushido Brown posted:

This is huge relief. Maybe I'll give it a shot then. Even at $65, that's a deal compared to the $147 I currently pay for Direct TV and renting boxes and poo poo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Almost Smart posted:

This is huge relief. Maybe I'll give it a shot then. Even at $65, that's a deal compared to the $147 I currently pay for Direct TV and renting boxes and poo poo.

Call and threaten to cancel and they should be able to get your bill down. I called earlier this week because I had promos expire and I got $80 taken off my bill for a year and NFL Sunday Ticket thrown in. You have to do it yearly but it's worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bushido Brown posted:

Yeah there is, but it's only up in the corner on some menus.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Well, I got my LG CX 77" on the wall. I'm having trouble getting it to work with my Onkyo-616 - if I run my devices through the receiver, it outputs in 1080p, but if I directly connect my nvidia Shield to the TV, it shows 2160p. So I tried to set up ARC but can't get it working.

Do I need to just buy a new receiver? Everything I can find online says the 616 has '4k upscaling' but it looks like the list of inputs only goes up to 1080p.
Also the remote just stopped working after I tried to set up ARC. I factory reset the thing but it's still not working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s too old. Came in that spot where 4K existed but wasn’t really fleshed out. I think my 656 is the first model they had the HDMI and HDCP spec in place.