Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Even after repeated mass bannings, autobannings, and general falling away of users, this place still has plenty of traffic. The dead and gay meme was never true, at least the dead part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i choose to believe PPJ wasn't a nazi and it was an infiltration attempt gone bad because "goon project fails miserably due to incompetence" is more on brand than "mod turns out to be a criminal", acknowledging that all mods inevitably are exposed for some lovely behavior or another

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

luxury handset posted:

i choose to believe PPJ wasn't a nazi and it was an infiltration attempt gone bad because "goon project fails miserably due to incompetence" is more on brand than "mod turns out to be a criminal", acknowledging that all mods inevitably are exposed for some lovely behavior or another

I don't believe PPJ was a Nazi but that he was probably friends with at least some of the people in these discords, who were themselves friends with people who were probably more extreme than they were, and they all ended up in the same chats together. In my experience the melting pot of any given chat room (discord or otherwise) tends to gradually shift around and he may have found himself among Nazis even if it didn't begin that way, but as the waters warmed he was already friends with their friends if not with the shittier people themselves. But at some point in there, some names he recognized started to pop up, and he had a moral dilemma between saying something and rocking the boat, thus risking both his friendships and his mod status if not his forums account in general, or trying to do something about it. So he chose to act in secret under the pretense of being a spy and started feeding information to KM so that he could have his cake and eat it too - he could be combating a (possibly?) legitimate threat against posters but also not be the one to upset the harmony of his community of shithead friends without having to put himself at risk by, y'know, dissociating from the Nazi chats or verbally disagreeing with them. See the classic Nerd Social Fallacies essay.

That's what I speculate happened, anyway, because I am at least trying to give PPJ the good faith to believe he was acting to avoid personal culpability for upsetting anyone rather than a malicious desire to hurt anyone. Plus, there's the allure of being the Spy Guy whose valuable intel helped save someone from being doxed or whatever.

That's the most charitable interpretation I think I can give to anyone involved in it, that it all evolved organically out of a comedy of ego and error rather than shadowy cabals and plots.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

I read the whole original post, it's just that it looked like the former Bird admin contradicted Jeffrey on that point in her response

I think you misread, she just meant that was the narrative being pushed by certain people in the mod forum

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The issues with feeling that all the admin stuff was completely opaque to mods, and decisions were being made over their heads without our input, especially whenever Lowtax remembered he had a forums, were a recurring theme when I was a mod. It would create a lot of strain because all the mods would be considered responsible, particularly when changes affected the forums they were in charge of. It doesn't surprise me that it at some point came to a head and that some well-placed people were able to exploit it. Even without such opportunists, it's a long-festering tension that hopefully will be addressed under new management.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just wanna say that overall, I love all of you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The issues with feeling that all the admin stuff was completely opaque to mods, and decisions were being made over their heads without our input, especially whenever Lowtax remembered he had a forums, were a recurring theme when I was a mod. It would create a lot of strain because all the mods would be considered responsible, particularly when changes affected the forums they were in charge of. It doesn't surprise me that it at some point came to a head and that some well-placed people were able to exploit it. Even without such opportunists, it's a long-festering tension that hopefully will be addressed under new management.

It doesn't help that in general the mods are pulled from heavily active and personally invested SA posters so you'll get a level headed and responsible person like Dr. Eldarion but then you get a Hondrider27/BobbieWickam, people just declaring :snod: and probe/banning anyone daring to question them or speak out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr. Eldarion may seem reasonable, but that's just his level of dedication to completely disappearing people who cross him and his deals.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Spinning my two six shooters named Bargains and Thrift while my sheriff's badge gleams in the sun

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dr. Eldarion may seem reasonable, but that's just his level of dedication to completely disappearing people who cross him and his deals.

You know how much he makes with those referral links? You never gently caress with a guy with that kind of business savvy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just wanna say that overall, I love all of you.
Except for Absurd Alhazred:argh:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly it's kinda loving wild that we had three massive sagas this year so far alone and from all indications they're completely unrelated to each other

2020.txt

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

luxury handset posted:

all mods inevitably are exposed for some lovely behavior or another

I only brush my teeth once a day.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moon Slayer posted:

Do you at least floss, you loving despot? The world is watching

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Moon Slayer posted:

Reported

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

report received. i will be handling this from here

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

Except for Absurd Alhazred:argh:

Y'all should fight.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I love you all!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

docbeard posted:

Yeah, that whole PPJ fiasco was the sort of thing that I just know I could never describe to an ordinary person with an ordinary life because they'd lack even the basic context to comprehend and I'd spend a week explaining what a discord was, then why Nazis would be on one and why they would be plotting against a different webforum and then why a moderator on that webforum would take it upon himself to man I can't even go on.

December-January was wild on the forums in about eight different ways and should really have been a signifier of just how 2020 was going to shape up in general.

I've been trying to explain what's been going on to an exgoon and he is absolutely baffled

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

I don't know who else claims to have been a part of it but KM said she was in the loop with PPJ and he was bringing her hard evidence of stalking and serious threats towards SA posters so she could warn them about it. When called out she seemed extremely dismissive of any criticism and claimed ppj was keeping people safe so he did no wrong.

She later admitted she lied and hadn't been reading the hundreds of pages of chat logs he'd been sending her, so she didn't realize what he was doing but had tried to cover for him reflexively before the full extent of his friendly conversations with the rightwing shithead discord was looked into. Which... I mean I get the impulse to want to protect someone you think has your back but man was that not a hill to try dying on.

And man, that post from Bird is sad. I'd really like it if one day Something Awful could be a place where the sincerely compassionate and invested admins weren't gradually driven insane by the pressure placed upon them constantly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Where’s this post from Bird everyone is talking about?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

She later admitted she lied and hadn't been reading the hundreds of pages of chat logs he'd been sending her, so she didn't realize what he was doing but had tried to cover for him reflexively before the full extent of his friendly conversations with the rightwing shithead discord was looked into. Which... I mean I get the impulse to want to protect someone you think has your back but man was that not a hill to try dying on.

And man, that post from Bird is sad. I'd really like it if one day Something Awful could be a place where the sincerely compassionate and invested admins weren't gradually driven insane by the pressure placed upon them constantly.

Maybe some of the mods wanted to push out their posting enemies, I know the "let's get TFR and GiP next" circulated for a hot minute, and maybe they just assumed everyone was acting in good faith except FYAD.

The facts are only going to matter to anyone willing to believe them. Tons of people left for offsites and will still scream to the mountaintops that FYAD was a secret cabal of trans hating assassins trying to get people killed, and nu-fyad definitely brought people out of the woodwork who wanted to post hard slurs all day long. I will say the weird accusations flying around the moment everything popped off in May and a few of the loudest voices outed as sex pests was proof that assuming good faith from people like that isn't always the smartest idea.

Aside from the AGP which everyone except raspy is agreeing is abhorrent and gross, the biggest thing was that "barney" was apparently the new slur they used for trans people?

Good luck with everything else, I hope things survive but it feels like this forum is being maintained by a relatively stagnant userbase of 30/40s age people who are going to post here until they die.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

oldpainless posted:

More like oldcontextless.

Here you go -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937061&perpage=40&noseen=1#post507375200

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Platystemon posted:

The funniest thing about this is that his rationale for claiming rank equivalence was that his salary was equivalent to salary of that rank.

Just now dawning on me how funny and bonkers this train of thought was

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

oldpainless posted:

jeffrey made a thread in QCS to explain what happened in december with FYAD and bird revealed there was basically an attempted forums coup: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937061

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
quote and share this post if you are under 30 still

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I will of course go first

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"Barney" was in reference to the avatar that someone had of an Undertale character who is a purple dinosaur. I don't think it ever meant "trans people" except incidentally because the poster who had it was very prominent in the goings-on and was trans. "Barney" referred to people in the perceived clique around that poster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Heath posted:

"Barney" was in reference to the avatar that someone had of an Undertale character who is a purple dinosaur. I don't think it ever meant "trans people" except incidentally because the poster who had it was very prominent in the goings-on and was trans. "Barney" referred to people in the perceived clique around that poster.

To be honest it was in pretty loving poor taste however you swing it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

sup

Heath posted:

it is absolutely insane that people got probated for saying barney and the reason being "usage of an intended slur". the mods are some of thed umbest motherfuckers on the planet i swear

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Does anyone have that picture of white people being whipped and picking cotton with the Reverend MLK junior superimposed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be honest it was in pretty loving poor taste however you swing it

they could have just gone with the more accurate and honest "histrionic lunatic" but who has that kind of time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, the whole coming up with brand new situational terms as slurs for minorities is literally a thing that happens all the time now, especially with trans people

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The "barney" thing did get picked up by genuine bigots relatively fast. Plenty of them(strangely enough not fyad regulars from what I recall) showed up when the whole thing kicked off.

The initial intent absolutely was to make fun of CB's terrible posting and av though. It's the most obvious thing to go for since we all know you are your av

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Went for a drive today

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I read the logs of the Discord PPJ was in when they were posted. It was full of crusty jerks and casually bigoted persons, but more like a PepBoys employee break room than some sort of Nazi staging ground. I don't think he should have been there and those guys seemed like assholes but not every turd is a neo-Nazi or a Klansman just by dint of sucking.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

luxury handset posted:

There was the whole Aatrek thing, though? Plus imagine deciding that you want to read and say a lot of nazi stuff in a sting operaton as an unpaid moderator for an internet forum. I certainly can't!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Went for a drive today

This is one of those "the more you look at it, the more you see" things

I hope you didn't actually go there though that's weird

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of otherwise good people got recruited for harassment campaigns including the one that gave Bird a mental breakdown and if you're not pretty loving introspective about how you got had, you're going to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Went for a drive today

I’m sure there are nicer places to visit