Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird question, but has anyone ever met someone (outside of literal children) who didn't know what Godzilla was?

A couple years ago, when I worked at an office full of court reporters, one of them, a woman in her 70s, asked me what my Godzilla figures (dolls?) were that I had around my desk. It confused the hell out of me. She had zero clue. I'd get it if it was something more obscure, but Godzilla's got a gigantic imprint on public pop-culture consciousness.

I've had multiple people ask me if I really like dinosaurs because of the Godzilla figures on my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Were they confused when you told them it was Godzilla?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Some people don't give a poo poo about monsters and monster movies and thats fine.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
My guess is that at least a majority of people recognize the name Godzilla, along with the basic concept (giant dinosaur/lizard/whatever), but beyond that probably couldn't tell you much of anything substantive about the franchise.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Detective No. 27 posted:

Were they confused when you told them it was Godzilla?

They asked me if Godzilla was an anime so I just nodded and smiled so we could both move on with our lives.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Godzilla is one of the last nerd properties that most normies don't have an opinion on.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

UmOk posted:

Godzilla is one of the last nerd properties that most normies don't have an opinion on.

which is probably due in no small part to the fact that the Godzilla fan community is relatively miniscule even compared to something like Star Trek

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

which is probably due in no small part to the fact that the Godzilla fan community is relatively miniscule even compared to something like Star Trek

Boy is it

This is why you find ever smaller niches to burrow into.

come into the Ultraman cult we're friendly down here

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Even in Godzilla fandom there are sub sects. After the big G himself, the most rabid and cult like are the Hedorah fans.

Ultra fans are good people. We are usually very friendly and have good vibes to spread around. *

*there are many shitheads out there but that’s in every community.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

As the founder and sole member of the Planet of Monsters enjoyers club,

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Even in Godzilla fandom there are sub sects. After the big G himself, the most rabid and cult like are the Hedorah fans.

Ultra fans are good people. We are usually very friendly and have good vibes to spread around. *

*there are many shitheads out there but that’s in every community.

Hedorah owns.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love Hedorah and it loves me

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jimbot posted:

The only Godzilla figure any of us had for a long time. Frankly, it's the only one we need!
I only have the small one :smith:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Just Offscreen posted:

Some people don't give a poo poo about monsters and monster movies and thats fine.

is it, though?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Holy poo poo, the Gamera set from Arrow is incredible. I can't imagine wanting a better presentation of these movies or expecting any more bonus content for them, and the box itself is massive and heavy. After being a little disappointed with Criterion's Godzilla collection (it was fantastic, but you could tell exactly where Toho tied Criterion's hands), this completely exceeded my expectations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

UmOk posted:

It's for the best, a lot of the people who think it's just "giant monster go roarrrrrr" would be utterly disappointed by the amount of talking and standing around in all the movies

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's for the best, a lot of the people who think it's just "giant monster go roarrrrrr" would be utterly disappointed by the amount of talking and standing around in all the movies

When the last two US Godzilla movies came out, some acquaintances went to see it for lack of anything else geek-related to see in theaters and both times complained to me (being the resident Godzilla fan) of how much there was talking and human things compared to monster stuff. I made sympathetic noises but reserved full empathy for if they ever watch Monster Zero.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure you could do a movie that's just kaiju loving around, but half the fun is watching these humans get their poo poo kicked in

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
A happy moment

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Final Wars proved too much kaiju action is exhausting. Although the Matrix-worship human story was lame as hell too.

"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrKqBlZdOTk

Violator
May 15, 2003

I notice that a lot in horror too.

“Why is Jason running in the reboot? Jason doesn’t run!” Yeah, he did in 2, 3, and 4.

“Why is the Evil Dead reboot so bloody and mean? The original wasn’t!” Yeah it was, it had pencils through the ankle and puss zombie explosions.

Etc.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

When the 2014 film came out a friend of mine came up to me knowing I was very fond of Godzilla and asked me what I thought. I said I liked it, but he didn't feel the same way and said it wasn't a "proper Godzilla film", I asked how so, and he said "Since when has Godzilla been able to shoot poo poo out of his mouth". To which I responded "Since forever". It was very odd, I think maybe he was confusing it with other things, or maybe getting the 98 film wrapped up in his head. The Godzilla films were less ubiquitous on UK televisions than I gather they were in America, so there's a good chance most UK viewers of the legendary Godzilla films will have never seen any of the Toho films.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Hes probobly thinking of Gorgo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If he's thinking of Gorgo he'd be wondering why all these women are on the screen talkin'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

When the last two US Godzilla movies came out, some acquaintances went to see it for lack of anything else geek-related to see in theaters and both times complained to me (being the resident Godzilla fan) of how much there was talking and human things compared to monster stuff. I made sympathetic noises but reserved full empathy for if they ever watch Monster Zero.

Monster Zeros human plot is a crazy 60s space invaders story though.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got people to come with me to see the 2014 Godzilla and it did not go well. I've accepted that Godzilla is going to be one of my "weird interests." I do recommend the original one and Shin as the only ones for people who aren't already into kaiju movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there an English dub on the Shin blu? I think it's the only way I could get my wife to watch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Funimation release does, yeah.

It's not bad, but it can be a bit distracting if you've watched other Funimation dubs because it's weird to hear these actors dubbing live action.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not usually a militant Subs Over Dubs guy, but the Shin dub is just terrible because it ruins a ton of the dry humor with godawful line deliveries. Just watch it with subs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shiroc posted:

I got people to come with me to see the 2014 Godzilla and it did not go well. I've accepted that Godzilla is going to be one of my "weird interests." I do recommend the original one and Shin as the only ones for people who aren't already into kaiju movies.

Tbf shin Godzilla could be replaced with like, a flood or even a nebulaous budget crisis and the core drama of the movie would be unchanged. It's only a kaiju movie in the sense that a giant monster is in it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was watching the Funmation DVD of Shin just yeasterday, and gently caress them for not letting you skip past the trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol yeah that exact thing happened to me last night too.

I forgot about the subtitles for the locations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf shin Godzilla could be replaced with like, a flood or even a nebulaous budget crisis and the core drama of the movie would be unchanged. It's only a kaiju movie in the sense that a giant monster is in it

That's pretty true of a lot of the movies though. The kaiju are very rarely not allegories or metaphors unless you get into ones like Godzilla vs. Megalon which is still more gay couplings than about monsters fighting.

edit: I also think that the very particular design of Shin is part of the drama of the movie and replacing it with a more conventional Godzilla would make it work significantly less well. That they're facing a super hosed up and ever evolving problem is important. Even the final 'victory' leaves this gigantic, grotesquely horrible thing laying there in plain view for everyone to see and know it could come back to life at any moment because they don't really understand what it is.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 19, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Davros1 posted:

I was watching the Funmation DVD of Shin just yeasterday, and gently caress them for not letting you skip past the trailer.

Although there are now subtitles, I cherish my 4K UHD Shin Godzilla I got in Japan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It won't even let you fast-forward through it. drat it, they demand you watch this trailer for "Attack on Titan"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

It won't even let you fast-forward through it. drat it, they demand you watch this trailer for "Attack on Titan"

I mean that at least makes some sense, Attack on Titan is also a kaiju thing :shrug:

e: granted, they're weird kaiju that look like giant naked people, but still kaiju nonetheless

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I mean that at least makes some sense, Attack on Titan is also a kaiju thing :shrug:

e: granted, they're weird kaiju that look like giant naked people, but still kaiju nonetheless

I'm imaging one of those alignment charts but for kaiju fans. The axes being size and shape, with size and shape purists saying Godzilla is a kaiju and size and shape rebels saying Hannibal Lecter is a kaiju

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The live action AoT? I haven't seen it and I hear it's loving terrible but I do want to watch it since the effects were done by Higuchi Shinji, from the Heisei Gamera films, Shin Godzilla, the upcoming Shin Ultraman, etc. so yeah it's kaiju in a way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I'm imaging one of those alignment charts but for kaiju fans. The axes being size and shape, with size and shape purists saying Godzilla is a kaiju and size and shape rebels saying Hannibal Lecter is a kaiju

The real size and shape rebels say clowns are kaiju

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

McSpanky posted:

The real size and shape rebels say clowns are kaiju

I was thinking shape would be whether or not something was monstrous. Godzilla, classic monster shape. Clowns are humanoid but made monstrous through strange clothes and prosthetic makeup. So a size rebel shape neutral person would call a clown a kaiju.

I suppose the real size and shape rebel says the car from Christine is a kaiju

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 20, 2020