Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah, you look at the average day in the US without a mass death event going on and you've got 7700 or so normal case deaths per day.

It's a safe bet that any significant increase over that is covid.

or covid-related

and yeah "oops i crashed my car and died" can easily be included regardless of if your corpse tests positive, if there's a significant uptick of people dying from poo poo like that because guess what: local hospitals are slammed right now, esp rural ones

kinda like how hurricanes kill people. ofc the chuds tried to argue that crap down too, it's shameful and pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That was always the biggest threat, I thought; normally survivable crises like car crashes, strokes, etc that kill you because the ICU beds are all full of covid cases that take three weeks to resolve and they've got nowhere to put you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

local hospitals are slammed right now, esp rural ones

but my friend that works as a nurse said they have plenty of beds at her hospital, so that must mean that any hospital claiming they're full is lying

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

also i wonder if fewer people are getting normal flu and dying of that now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

That was always the biggest threat, I thought; normally survivable crises like car crashes, strokes, etc that kill you because the ICU beds are all full of covid cases that take three weeks to resolve and they've got nowhere to put you.

yeah that's what the lockdowns are basically good for at this point: waiting until there's more ICU room (so that we can open up for a little bit and refill them, since there's no other containment measures in place)

hoverwife says that over a third of her patients are there for covid now, and rising

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Fool posted:

but my friend that works as a nurse said they have plenty of beds at her hospital, so that must mean that any hospital claiming they're full is lying

she must work at the new nyc coronavirus hospital that doesnt have any ambulance contracts so nobody gets sent there

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sargon my balls lol

remember that guy? he was a part of the second (first?) wave of altright brains-worming

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife says that over a third of her patients are there for covid now, and rising

jeez

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

we had a regularass flu season, which was funny because this came right on the tail end of it. here in freedomland our healthcare system's profit-chasing means that staffing and capacity and whatnot are set up so that for a typical flu season everything maxes out and everyone's only kinda sorta very understaffed and overworked for months

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we had a regularass flu season, which was funny because this came right on the tail end of it. here in freedomland our healthcare system's profit-chasing means that staffing and capacity and whatnot are set up so that for a typical flu season everything maxes out and everyone's only kinda sorta very understaffed and overworked for months

sounds efficient

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Fool posted:

the garbage that my extended family passes around is that the numbers are all faked

like, say someone gets in a car crash, then dies in the icu
if the tested positive for covid while in the icu, their death counts as a coronavirus death

that’s what my coworker told me too. must be true!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

sounds efficient

ah but did you know that medical errors due to exhaustion and overwork are actually a fake idea? the AMA said says actually more frequent handoffs thanks to larger staff and shorter-than-36-hour shifts are the deadly menace we must fight

greatest healthcare system in the world in fact. can't possibly be improved upon

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The people who said that the sunlight and heat will kill covid-19 were apparently right, this is just how infectious it is even with UV light killing it within seven minutes lmao

this fall and winter are going to be dark

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've unclenched a bit and we're eating through our food stores

gonna stock up again in september, i expect poo poo to swing back to pretty-hosed status here by october

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
fall and winter are gonna suuuuuuck

Apr 7, 2003

I would even advise my posting enemies, such as they are, to stock up and be prepared to winter over this year like the Donners did up in that pass.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im going to eat my posting pals if things get rough, sorry guys

Apr 7, 2003

Well, I meant stay bundled up and don't move too much, but if you have to eat someone that's how it goes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sargon my balls lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for the homeowners, remember that it's best to plant potatoes in the fall/winter.

Set a calendar reminder to put a bunch of spuds in the ground. you can just buy a loving bag of potatoes and cut them into large chunks. make sure there's one eye on each.

you'll have a fuckload of potatoes in the spring/summer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
nice. might do that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you sow the seeds of friendship in winter come spring you'll have some warm bodies to eat

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
gonna set punji traps using all the potatoes i'm gonna grow as bait, thx for the tips

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Jonny 290 posted:

for the homeowners, remember that it's best to plant potatoes in the fall/winter.

Set a calendar reminder to put a bunch of spuds in the ground. you can just buy a loving bag of potatoes and cut them into large chunks. make sure there's one eye on each.

this got my curiosity piqued so I looked into it a bit- is this dude just overly try hard, or are you in the southern hemisphere? https://www.gardendesign.com/vegetables/potatoes.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've always dropped them in around december, but yeah if you live in a really fuckoff cold climate area that doesn't thaw until memorial day or something, hold off more towards spring

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

i was considering doing garlic, it's apparently the most calorie-dense thing you can grow per square foot of yard

but really any root vegetable should be good. babby likes carrots

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Coronavirus is now the #3 cause of death in the US, hell yeah, fake rear end disease lol

now you can smoke a cigar and eat a big steak at a restaurant and try for all three

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was considering doing garlic, it's apparently the most calorie-dense thing you can grow per square foot of yard

sweet potatoes are also another high-yielding crop. but hardneck garlic is nice because you get a bonus of garlic scapes.

the other end of the spectrum is something like amaranth, typical seeding rates are something like a pound per acre since the seed is so tiny. also has a decent amount of protein.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i wish i had a garden, ive got like a few square feet on my balcony, at best. and now my balcony is made of charcoal-colored wood so it gets extremely hot during the day, much to the detriment of my plants.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
america.txt

our slaves are too sick to fight fires :(

https://twitter.com/RachaelHerron/status/1296103976262221824

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

our kiddo loves string beans and snap peas, which also fared quite well considering the frosts we had in May. also tiny tim tomaters

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sargon my balls lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

america.txt

our slaves are too sick to fight fires :(

https://twitter.com/RachaelHerron/status/1296103976262221824

lol!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

I would even advise my posting enemies, such as they are, to stock up and be prepared to winter over this year like the Donners did up in that pass.
Speaking of which, there's a case today of literal bubonic plague in that area: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-likely-are-you-to-catch-plague-california-disease/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cool. fits the modern serfdom narrative much better than some jonny-come-lately fad corona virus.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
coronavirus is a fad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

cool. fits the modern serfdom narrative much better than some jonny-come-lately fad corona virus.

nice title attribute for a kelly comic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

since i rearranged my wfh setup i found that my mouse doesn't track well on the part of the desk i'm using. so i bought a mouse pad.

wtf. a drat mouse pad.

i haven't owned one of these since...2004 maybe? and think this is the first one i have ever purchased with my own money instead of getting it from a macworld or w/e

works well though.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

i think one of the “silver linings” of this is that flu cases are way down because of the distancing.

not enough that we don’t still have a huge number of excess deaths vs a normal flu season tho.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

since i rearranged my wfh setup i found that my mouse doesn't track well on the part of the desk i'm using. so i bought a mouse pad.

wtf. a drat mouse pad.

i haven't owned one of these since...2004 maybe? and think this is the first one i have ever purchased with my own money instead of getting it from a macworld or w/e

works well though.

lmao at spending your own money instead of your work's money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

wtf. a drat mouse pad.

works well though.

i somehow inherited an 11x17 steelseries frosted glass mouse pad and not gonna lie, it was fuckin GREAT

excellent `ssssssss` sound as you moved it aorund

i just use a tragic macpad 2 now.