Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Never use twitter folks. It rots your brain.

Vast wealth tends to as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

So despite the fact that his character actually survived the original trilogy Laurence Fishburne has stated that he wasn't even asked about appearing in Matrix 4.

I'm only looking forward to Matrix 4 to see what a loving mess it's going to be.

Lobok posted:

See Minecraft creator Notch becoming a Pizzagate QAnon guy indistinguishable from some loser living in their parents' basement despite having a billion dollar net worth and living in a mansion he outbid Jay Z and Beyonce for.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Matrix 4 is a stealth Speed 2 sequel

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alan Smithee posted:

Matrix 4 is a stealth Speed 2 sequel

A sequel to Speed 2 would be 3 Speed. It's basically Die Hard but on a bicycle. A tandem bicycle, even. The hero's at the back and they have to try and stop the terrorist (who's in front) before time runs out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lobok posted:

A sequel to Speed 2 would be 3 Speed. It's basically Die Hard but on a bicycle. A tandem bicycle, even. The hero's at the back and they have to try and stop the terrorist (who's in front) before time runs out.

grrk I meant Speed Racer but uh that works too

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

That's hosed up. Like, they got Edward James Olmos to be Gaff again for one scene in the new Blade Runner and even did it in a way that perfectly fit into the the story and didn't feel like it was fan service or whatever.

No. No, it isn't. A creator should be able to tell the best story they can, and not be beholden to any character or actor just because fans think they deserve to be in it. Gaff in BR2049 was totally unnecessary and I think the movie would've been better had it been cut. It's pure meta fan service that exists solely so the greybeards could nod sagely and turn to their kid and whisper "You know, back in the 80s there was a lot of debate around whether or not Deckard was a replicant! That's what Gaff's needlessly enigmatic and ambiguous answer is in reference to, you see."

If the story Lana wants to tell isn't better for having Morpheus in it, then Morpheus shouldn't be in it. The "Hey! Remember?" line of storytelling that you're championing is how you end up with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and The Force Awakens.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Also didn't Morpheus die in the Matrix MMO that was supposed to be canon? I remember that being a big deal at the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Graff should not have been in BR2049 and that scene was terrible.

I would pay unreasonable sums of money for Speed Racer 2. Un. Reasonable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Matrix MMO ... I remember ...

You may be the only one.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lobok posted:

She's Blarite scum. She's always been a lovely person. Twitter just made it easier to find out.

MrBling posted:

all of Dragonlance (and in fact all of D&D) is owned by Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, so I don't know how tangled it can be.

Presumably they weren't using modern "we own everything you do forever" contracts back when it was created so that the authors still have partial rights.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

You may be the only one.

Remember that lovely PS2 game that the Wachowskis decided to put an entire parallel storyline to Reloaded in? "Hey, want to know who the gently caress Niobe and that other guy are? Play our lovely game to find out!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

You may be the only one.

Nah, I played it. It was full of neat ideas that didn't work and so many bugs Neo couldn't have fixed it.

Ill always appreciate that one of the backgrounds you could choose for how you realized the matrix was fake was was that snakes are obviously wrong and make no sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Matrix Online was cool but had the problem of every MMO that the combat was loving awful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Matrix Online was cool but had the problem of every MMO that the combat was loving awful.

Most MMOs do not have rock paper scissor mechanics built in with realtime head to head against random mooks once you enter melee. Matrix Online is very uniquely terrible in that regard because they tried the hell out of something new

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah it was especially bad. It just hurt even more since that's gotta be one of the things you absolutely nail in a Matrix MMO.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Lobok posted:

In Speed 3: Before Time Runs Out Jesse Wallace (Ethan Hawke) stalks his former lover Celine (Julie Delpy) and her new boyfriend Jack (Keanu Reeves) on their cycling holiday in the Netherlands. After planting a bomb on the couple's tandem bike, Jesse's revenge plan is complicated when Celine reveals she is thinking of leaving Jack, and in the confusion the pair end up on the rigged bike. Jesse must now keep the bike moving through the streets of Amsterdam, work through his relationship issues, and avoid the interference of an increasingly frustrated Jack all while hiding an explosive secret.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Niric posted:

Jesse must now keep the bike moving through the streets of Amsterdam [...]

I initially thought you were going to describe an action thriller, but that is more suited to an arthouse movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Niric posted:

In Speed 3: Before Time Runs Out Jesse Wallace (Ethan Hawke) stalks his former lover Celine (Julie Delpy) and her new boyfriend Jack (Keanu Reeves) on their cycling holiday in the Netherlands. After planting a bomb on the couple's tandem bike, Jesse's revenge plan is complicated when Celine reveals she is thinking of leaving Jack, and in the confusion the pair end up on the rigged bike. Jesse must now keep the bike moving through the streets of Amsterdam, work through his relationship issues, and avoid the interference of an increasingly frustrated Jack all while hiding an explosive secret.

"I mean, it was a brilliant character drama and a taut action thriller but did they have to use so much shakey-cam?"
"There wasn't any, they were just biking on cobblestone."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

No. No, it isn't. A creator should be able to tell the best story they can, and not be beholden to any character or actor just because fans think they deserve to be in it. Gaff in BR2049 was totally unnecessary and I think the movie would've been better had it been cut. It's pure meta fan service that exists solely so the greybeards could nod sagely and turn to their kid and whisper "You know, back in the 80s there was a lot of debate around whether or not Deckard was a replicant! That's what Gaff's needlessly enigmatic and ambiguous answer is in reference to, you see."

If the story Lana wants to tell isn't better for having Morpheus in it, then Morpheus shouldn't be in it. The "Hey! Remember?" line of storytelling that you're championing is how you end up with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and The Force Awakens.

I don't even remember Gaff being in 2049? I loved that film in the cinema but haven't gotten around to rewatching it yet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't even remember Gaff being in 2049? I loved that film in the cinema but haven't gotten around to rewatching it yet.

It’s like the least meaningful least aesthetically interesting scene

It’s kinda just there

I don’t fault them for wanting to get Edward James Olmos but it’s a pointless cameo. Officer K paying him 50 bucks to talk to him on Cameo through his phone would have been more exciting

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

He had a throwaway scene that was basically a cameo, it's not surprising that somebody could've missed it.

I understand why Morpheus isn't involved in Matrix 4. His function was very specific, to choose a person and by sheer force of belief, make them into The One. Once the war ends, his function in the plot and his character arc are basically complete. If the movie is about the truce between man and the machines being threatened then you really only need Neo(and by extension Trinity, aka the only reason Neo gives a poo poo about humanity) to solve that problem, Morpheus is just another guy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I initially thought you were going to describe an action thriller, but that is more suited to an arthouse movie.

Speed 3: A Wes Anderson Film

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Apparently Fantastic Beasts 3 is still on?
https://twitter.com/brentalang/status/1296163013062463488?s=21

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Looking forward to seeing Rowling make Eddie Redmayne go on a gender essentialist rant mid movie.

Come to think of it, would the fact that Redmayne’s breakout role was The Danish Girl make things more or less awkward between them?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

C'mon.

Sp3ed

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AceOfFlames posted:

Looking forward to seeing Rowling make Eddie Redmayne go on a gender essentialist rant mid movie.

Come to think of it, would the fact that Redmayne’s breakout role was The Danish Girl make things more or less awkward between them?

Haha never heard this term before.

We need to pare it down to essential genders only people, no superfluous genders please. Sorry folks austerity measures in place have to turn over your non-binary genders. Put em in the bin here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

We need to pare it down to essential genders only people, no superfluous genders please. Sorry folks austerity measures in place have to turn over your non-binary genders. Put em in the bin here.

in my personal experience, this is more or less exactly how a lot of (even nominally progressive) people treat non-binary identities

you get all the usual homophobic/transphobic bullshit from right-wingers, and then on the left you either get treated as a binary trans person who needs to shut up about all this "NB" nonsense and get on HRT, or you get treated as a faker trying to co-opt trans identity (depending 100% on how close to your assigned gender you present)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There are only two genders:

Sexy and Rad

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

What if I’m sexily rad

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Groovelord Neato posted:

See Minecraft creator Notch becoming a Pizzagate QAnon guy indistinguishable from some loser living in their parents' basement despite having a billion dollar net worth and living in a mansion he outbid Jay Z and Beyonce for.

He was making N-word jokes on twitter and putting in enemies that are black and steal your stuff long before Microsoft made him insanely rich.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

The Cameo posted:

What if I’m sexily rad

NBSR (non-binary sexily rad)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Remember that lovely PS2 game that the Wachowskis decided to put an entire parallel storyline to Reloaded in? "Hey, want to know who the gently caress Niobe and that other guy are? Play our lovely game to find out!"

All three of the Matrix games (the movie tie in, Path of Neo and the online MMO) have actually had a bunch of good ideas, but executed them so loving poorly. Enter the Matrix is one of the few games I've played that had a not terrible mechanic for shifting between shooting and karate fighting. Path of Neo had a really cool way of setting the difficulty level. It's just that neither were actually finished.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

All three of the Matrix games (the movie tie in, Path of Neo and the online MMO) have actually had a bunch of good ideas, but executed them so loving poorly. Enter the Matrix is one of the few games I've played that had a not terrible mechanic for shifting between shooting and karate fighting. Path of Neo had a really cool way of setting the difficulty level. It's just that neither were actually finished.

The greatest innovation, of course, is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojjzlp1g7Q&t=1844s

(30:44 if the embed didn't work)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

The greatest innovation, of course, is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojjzlp1g7Q&t=1844s

(30:44 if the embed didn't work)

pro-click right here.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snowman_McK posted:

My aunt was really into The Matrix and bought me the Reloaded tie-in for GameCube the day it came out. I remember it being really fun right up until about halfway through when the difficulty in one of the levels (I think it was a sewer or power plant?) became so miserable that after several dozen attempts I just gave up and never went back to finish it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My aunt was really into The Matrix and bought me the Reloaded tie-in for GameCube the day it came out. I remember it being really fun right up until about halfway through when the difficulty in one of the levels (I think it was a sewer or power plant?) became so miserable that after several dozen attempts I just gave up and never went back to finish it.

I made myself finish it, but it gets real bad after the power plant. The early parts of the game, while flawed, were finished. By contrast, the back half of the game is straight up incomplete. The car chases are also just...dogshit.

It feels like a game that should have come out about a year after the movies, take the time to actually finish it, a little like goldeneye.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with the sequel game was that it was supposed to be a tie-in that would fill in some of the gaps of the movie and then it didn't. Also it was absolutely lousy with product placement.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

enemies that are black and steal your stuff long before Microsoft made him insanely rich.

Those enemies (endermen) were based on Slender Man. They don't steal anything, they just pick up blocks and move them. I haven't really played minecraft in years, but what you said is a stretch. (Plus I don't know how involved notch was with the game development at that point, I think he was Lowtax level involved basically.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/oliviawilde/status/1296224309896126464?s=19

Spider-Woman or Spider-Gwen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with the sequel game was that it was supposed to be a tie-in that would fill in some of the gaps of the movie and then it didn't. Also it was absolutely lousy with product placement.

path of neo or enter the matrix?