Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pilchenstein posted:

Noc's level up is "you've attacked with 5+ nightfall allies" so if he's the only nightfall unit you have, he can flip himself by attacking 5 times, just like Ashe. Also nightfall is an on play effect, not something you trigger repeatedly so you only get his "grant an enemy vulnerable and give enemies -1/0 this round" when you first play him (if he's not your first card that turn).

Ah, yes, I did not count that he would level himself up just like Ash. Good point.Although his nightfall ability only being a one time trigger is pretty bad. So he's just a 5/3 with fear until he levels up?

He really seems worse than Ashe in most ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
He is a worse Ash from what I can tell since Ash can levelup on defensive rounds from frost where as nocturne should probably be "when you've activated nightfall" as the levelup.

Don't underestimate a repeatable -1/0 combined with fearsome though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm much more impressed with the daybreak cards than the Nightfall. Daybreak is a mechanic that essentially rewards you for playing on curve, and some of these abilities are quite strong for doing just that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He is a worse Ash from what I can tell since Ash can levelup on defensive rounds from frost where as nocturne should probably be "when you've activated nightfall" as the levelup.
You can't actually level him up without an attack token but you can work towards his levelup on defensive turns since it triggers off the number of units not the number of attacks. Also you won't have to actually trigger nightfall on the units when you play them for them to count towards flipping him.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

“It is always day for us” is absolutely top notch flavor-over-strict-templating.

Also lol at “big stupid ball” art.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Megasabin posted:

I'm much more impressed with the daybreak cards than the Nightfall. Daybreak is a mechanic that essentially rewards you for playing on curve, and some of these abilities are quite strong for doing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V784AiYtG8

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The daybreak cards look good, except for the Sun Guardian which just seems like a worse Alpha Wildclaw with probably a lot less synergy in its region than Wildclaw in Freljiord. +1/+1 on Wildclaw but loses half of its stats afterwards is a pretty tough sell when Wildclaw isn't meta.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you're running nightfall units anyways I think Nocturne is really strong. Anyone who's played Terror of the Tides knows how strong his flipped effect is. But I don't think we've seen nearly enough playable nightfalls.

The daybreak 1 mana card is incredibly strong. I'm not that into the others, compare the 5/5 to Swiftwing Lancer (and I really see this mechanic being run with Demacia).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The 1 mana 3/3 on turn 1 is pretty great. They nerfed Rearguard specifically because games where he was played on t1 were lopsided, and he couldn't even block. Granted Solari Soldier becomes a 2/2 turns after they are played, but it's still very potent as a turn 1 play you hard mull for. Even topdecked in an aggressive deck it's not bad.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Boxman posted:

“It is always day for us” is absolutely top notch flavor-over-strict-templating.
I love that they've been making a conscious effort to improve the card text for months at this point and they still just go "what's that? nobody can tell if it's an actual effect or just flavour text? perfect" :allears:

For the record, it does mean "daylight effects always trigger".

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Muddle < clarity, and I'm glad Riot's working on it, even if they have a way to go.

I'm glad they occasionally choose flavor over clarity, though. It's a way to take advantage of it being a digital game and I appreciate it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Picked this up a couple days ago and drat, it’s pretty fun!

Right now I’m just smashing the AI with the Spider deck getting Noxus XP and slowly working my way through the rewards. A guide put me on to battling an alt and auto conceding for some free bonus XP every day too.

Anything else I should be doing aside from daily quests and the friend duel concession shuffle? Slowly building up the cards to upgrade the Spider deck until I have enough wildcards to build something competitive.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BGrifter posted:

Right now I’m just smashing the AI with the Spider deck getting Noxus XP and slowly working my way through the rewards. A guide put me on to battling an alt and auto conceding for some free bonus XP every day too.

Anything else I should be doing aside from daily quests and the friend duel concession shuffle? Slowly building up the cards to upgrade the Spider deck until I have enough wildcards to build something competitive.

Watched a dude's (Swim) video that suggested leveling each region in multiples of four, because each fourth reward is particularly good. So level each to four, then to eight, etc. That might be worth looking into.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Watched a dude's (Swim) video that suggested leveling each region in multiples of four, because each fourth reward is particularly good. So level each to four, then to eight, etc. That might be worth looking into.

Yeah I just watched that while munching breakfast. I’ve got Noxus up to 10 so I’ll keep going to 12 then switch and do some of the others up to 4.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

BGrifter posted:

drat didn't even think of the loving Alt account idea. Could have actually unlocked all the Blossom battle pass rewards!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

friend challenges didnt give petals so you didnt miss out on any cheese there. you would have had to snipe yourself with your alt in random queues

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Awesome! posted:

friend challenges didnt give petals so you didnt miss out on any cheese there. you would have had to snipe yourself with your alt in random queues

Ah, that makes sense.

I got all the way up to the Shark, so I'm happy.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Are there any champions you guys are looking forward to being added to the game? I think I picked a good time to start, because Leona was by far my favorite and most played.

singed

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1296477597220601856

Leona is actually good (and so is her signature spell)!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So if you have a board of daybreak dudes, Leona, and play her signature, you end up stunning as many of their dudes as you have daybreak minions? That's a nice combo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nope, only 2
https://twitter.com/shawnmain/status/1296488336140501003?s=19

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
whe does the new set come out?

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

26th i think? somewhere around a week from now

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, the 26th. Patches land on wednesdays.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Imagined posted:

I get y'all's point and I even agree with it, it's just that I've never gotten a card in LOR that made me go, wow, what a rare and cool and special card! I'm super thrilled I have that card now! I barely even notice what rarity a card supposedly is because it doesn't really matter, I'm going to get them all anyway. "Hey honey, check out this card I got!" "Yeah I know, I have it too. Everyone does."

FWIW Eternal was about the right sweet spot of a model for me, basically "Hearthstone but you can easily earn five packs a day". But I got tired of mana screw, 75-card decks, and investing time in a fifth tier game that was obviously slowly, slowly dying. I like Runeterra a LOT, especially the back and forth responsive flow, but something about the collection aspect doesn't click with me somehow.

I get what you're saying but I would gladly give up the "oh poo poo I just got a legendary!" feeling to not have the "oh poo poo that deck looks dope but I can't play it because it requires a lot of epics/legendary cards and I don't want to dust a chuck of my collection for a dumb meme deck" feeling. Getting champions is pretty easy and epics mostly suck so I'm glad the game is the way it is.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
New emotes coming, someone noticed a similarity with something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/ie34rq/finally_an_emote_that_represents_my_soul_after/

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I get what you're saying but I would gladly give up the "oh poo poo I just got a legendary!" feeling to not have the "oh poo poo that deck looks dope but I can't play it because it requires a lot of epics/legendary cards and I don't want to dust a chuck of my collection for a dumb meme deck" feeling. Getting champions is pretty easy and epics mostly suck so I'm glad the game is the way it is.

Me: *watching an M:tG streamer* Oh man, that deck looks fun! Let me import the decklist and see what I'm missing.

30 rares (15 of these are lands, some of which rotate in a year), 12 mythics.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

Me: *watching an M:tG streamer* Oh man, that deck looks fun! Let me import the decklist and see what I'm missing.

30 rares (15 of these are lands, some of which rotate in a year three weeks), 12 mythics.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is Trundle competitive? Probably not. Am I crafting three on day one? Yes. Because crafting champs is a zero risk proposition and I love Runeterra for that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

trundle looks like one of the strongest new champs shown off so far

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

Is Trundle competitive? Probably not. Am I crafting three on day one? Yes. Because crafting champs is a zero risk proposition and I love Runeterra for that.

Pretty much champ has been in a meta deck at some point. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are vlad, gangplank, and maybe lee sin. Even then they still might get buffed/reworked.

Batterypowered7 posted:

30 rares (15 of these are lands, some of which rotate in a year), 12 mythics.

This happens to me every couple of sets when I try to get into magic arena again.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 22, 2020

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DrManiac posted:

This happens to me every couple of sets when I try to get into magic arena again.

It's not a good thing to say about the game, but I guess I'm glad there are Standard seasons I don't like (either there's no deck I want to play or I really don't want to play against the most popular decks), which allows me to just make lovely mono-color decks to do dailies with and stockpile wildcards.

I may not be super into LoR, but I'm glad I'll be able to get back into the game fairly easily if I ever drop it for some time.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think I heard someone say the new cards are dropping Wednesday? I haven't opened my vault from Thursday yet. Is the correct move to keep it that way and open on Wednesday after the patch?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

your old vault will have old cards

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Awesome! posted:

your old vault will have old cards

you sure? Last expansion didn't work that way, you could hold off on opening your vault and get new cards

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
As long as you're still earning xp towards Thursday's vault there's no harm in waiting until Wednesday to open last week's.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It's old cards Bront

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CitizenKeen posted:

i'd err on the side of him being probably competitive, not that this would change whether you're going to craft him or not lol

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

BGrifter posted:

A guide put me on to battling an alt and auto conceding for some free bonus XP every day too.

Got a link to that guide?

I've been trying to do it via emulator but I keep getting a version mismatch error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kris xK posted:

Got a link to that guide?

I've been trying to do it via emulator but I keep getting a version mismatch error.

I don’t unfortunately, but it wasn’t anything particularly in-depth. I just made up an alt account on my iPad. I challenge my main, concede until the XP zeros out, then switch and concede on the iPad till that’s tapped out.

There might be a more efficient method but I’m not super worried about it. It’s something mindless to do while watching TV.