Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
:honk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's such a good mod, I've already had several people mention they were going to start using it too after hearing all the honking on my stream and asking me what it was.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In honor of 1.0, I decided to start a new vanilla game for the first time since .16.

I've never launched a rocket in vanilla, so my goal was to embrace the spaghetti until I got a personal roboport (just finished that) so I could build even BIGGER spaghetti!

It's so nice not caring about symmetry or scalability or whatever.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
spaghetti is the best :haw:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Freaksaus posted:

It's such a good mod, I've already had several people mention they were going to start using it too after hearing all the honking on my stream and asking me what it was.

does it replace the biter sfx with varying pitches and volumes of goose honk

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I would enable that option.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Finally got around to doing There Is No Spoon on default map settings.

gently caress.

I loaded a save from 4 minutes back and handcrafted my way to victory.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I got sick of satisfactory not being able to really scale up and bought this a few days ago cause it’s 1.0 now, I assume I don’t actually need to learn a main bus yet and can just get really stoned and build poo poo?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Professorjuggalo posted:

I got sick of satisfactory not being able to really scale up and bought this a few days ago cause it’s 1.0 now, I assume I don’t actually need to learn a main bus yet and can just get really stoned and build poo poo?

Absolutely. Just play and build and see what happens.

You only get to do your first playthrough once - if you look up what everyone else thinks is the best way to do things too early, you're spoiling yourself on the opportunity to figure that stuff out for yourself.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Professorjuggalo posted:

Not only can you do this, you absolutely should do this the first time through.

Feel free to set biters to peaceful mode too if you are looking to just mess around for a long time without any pressure.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You're 100% doing yourself a disservice if you start off by going the main bus route. So much enjoyment from this game comes from playing with no idea how anything works and figuring out the puzzles as you go along, spaghetti or no. Once you get through a game and feel like doing a main bus, you always have that option, no need to restart. Just build a new base in the infinite land you have available.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Finally got around to doing There Is No Spoon on default map settings.

gently caress.

I loaded a save from 4 minutes back and handcrafted my way to victory.

Have any tips? That and the 15 hour victory achievement are the only ones I have, and I've never really tried to go for speed.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you just want them done, don't do it on default map settings. I found it to be pretty hard, it took me a lot of hours, about 4 serious attempts combined with a bunch of practice. I think you can modify almost everything except turning down enemies, including expanding starting area and turning pollution off completely, which pretty much turns off enemies. It should be fairly easy with massive and dense starting patches.

Ultimately it's a matter of throughput, both in terms of resources and you building. Early game you'll be limited by iron, midgame by steel, and lategame by copper/green circuits. I went with 1.5 science/second for red-blue, and 0.75/s for purple/yellow since they cost far more resources. You only need 2 purple techs, one yellow tech, and one of both to finish the game. Make sure you shut off supply to your purple/yellow science once you finish building it. For me at least, I can't outbuild technology in the midgame, so there is some time to research some extra red green and blue techs. I did not use bots at all, I figured they're too much of a resource drain to get to the point where they're useful. This may be a miscalculation though.

If you do it at default settings, you need a map with separate starting patches of decent sizes and placement. You need at least 2 solid nearby patches each of iron and copper, since you'll need 2 red belts of each in addition to what your starting patches supply. Don't bother with trains, just belt everything. It's hard to get enough throughput without upgraded stack inserters and it takes too drat long to build out big train stations when you can just slam down an ugly red belt and be done with it. If like me you can't build belts fast in cars, don't forget that you can drive a car to a patch, then pick it up and run back on the belt as you build it.

You can buffer a lot of the stuff needed for a the rocket. I had my rocket fuel all sitting in chests long before I got anywhere near the end of the game (and I manually transported them, you + a car can easily transport 1k fuel in one trip which is faster than building a belt), and I buffered LDS and about half my speed modules as well. That left blue circuits which were brutal.
Doing some calculation backwards can help. You're going to need 1200 blue circuits to build a silo + rocket, and another 867 to research the two yellow techs you need. That's 49,608 green circuits. If you have two full belts of copper being consumed to build green circuits, it will take 21 minutes to make them.

At least on default map settings, you'll be spending all your time building, traveling, or fighting biters. There is zero downtime, you will not do it if you have any. Any time you want to build, save, take your time, build something that you can build quickly, then blueprint it and reload. Take advantage of the UI as much as possible - drag power poles, then drag assemblers, drag belts, then drag inserters across the assemblers, stuff like that will help you build fast. Take some time every so often to save and look over how everything is flowing - find machines that aren't working because you misplaced something, or belts that aren't flowing perfectly because you didn't balance them right, then reload your save and fix them when passing by.

I'm sure there's a lot more you can do to optimize for quickly scaling up throughput that I didn't do.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 19, 2020

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The big thing I did was to have a unique save at milestones or every 1/2 hour. Once I got red science set up - save. steel smelters - save. Green science - save. I only went back in time once, but it was very nice to feel comfortable that if I messed up milsci I could hop back and remember to draw the coal line up there or whatever.

Plus someone had an old write-up on reddit of their tech progression and some useful numbers that I referenced. You can also set it up so you don’t have to deal with biters. Speedruns are less than 6 hours (considerably) but they’re optimized to a T, so expect that yours will end with 45 minutes to spare if you doing things right.

Don’t forget to turn off science once you’ve made the last vial you need, it can make a big difference!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The easiest way to get the speed achievements is to play with as many other people as possible and brute force the hell out of it.

If you want to go at it alone, I think the most important thing is to make a plan. It doesn't have to be a perfect plan, but make a rough list of what you're going to do in what order (e.g. initial power -> initial smelting -> automate gears/chips -> red/green science -> double smelting -> double power -> oil...), what you're going to research and stay relentlessly on task until done.

Buildwise it might help to watch one of the speedruns, takes less than an hour on 2x, but they can be confusing since they build very compact bases to minimize running. The big thing to take away from them is to favor simple factory designs that are easy to physically build and expand. Do not do fiddly things for 2% more throughput or the like. Beyond that, try to build and buffer pre-requisites before you need them, don't research things that you do not need and go big.

Getting a rocket out in less than 8 hours is honestly not too hard on custom settings if you know the game. It requires a somewhat odd playstyle and some preparation, but shouldn't be too bad. 8 hours on default settings is way more difficult.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Taffer posted:

You can enable it with a console command, but it will disable achievements, if you care about that sort of thing.

I could have sworn it was an option when starting a new game, is that no longer the case?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It is, but if you don't enable it during map creation then you have to use the console command or a mod to enable it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah it's on the last tab under technology I think.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
I'm jumping back from not having played since 0.14 or something: What is the rule of thumb regarding rail signals again? Is it rail signal at the entrance of an intersection and chain signal on the exit or the other way? I don't really want to watch a 20-minute tutorial video for just this one nugget of info.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

tgacon posted:

I'm jumping back from not having played since 0.14 or something: What is the rule of thumb regarding rail signals again? Is it rail signal at the entrance of an intersection and chain signal on the exit or the other way? I don't really want to watch a 20-minute tutorial video for just this one nugget of info.

Other way around. Chains on entrances, regulars on exits.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Chain signal entrances to intersections, rail signal after the intersection. You can break some types of intersections down in more complicated ways, but that's the basics. If you want to play around with it, I think 0.17 was when the added the feature that shows you a breakdown of the "zones" for rails when you're holding a signal, so you can experiment to get more complex intersections set up as you like.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
One other big thing with rail signals...the signal goes on the 'right hand side of a single track' in the direction of travel of the train.

This is not referring to RHD/LHD. Even in LHD, the signal is going on the right hand side of a single track in the direction of travel of the train.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I keep this bookmarked for my railway building needs:

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another thing to keep in mind is to keep a full train length between your intersection. This length should be whatever your longest running train is. Split up long pieces of straight rail with rail signals at this length too.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

tgacon posted:

e: actually, thats wrong, read the image above instead

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Basically you want to ask yourself "is it okay for a train to go through this signal and then stop at the next one?"

If the answer is "yeah that's fine, it can wait for a moment and then carry on when the path ahead is clear", you use a regular signal. If the answer is "hell no it's gonna block up the intersection and bring everything to a halt", use a chain signal.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Early Seablock question: I’m burning charcoal from wood blocks from green algae for power. It’s a little muddy but it looks like adding the step to make carbon is slightly ( +1MJ but requires the 30 steam, so probably 5%) more efficient. Am I supposed to swap over to that and wait till I have trees set up then turn trees into charcoal?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
You can probably get by without the switch to carbon but I did it and it isn't too hard, you gain a small bit of efficiency and you'll also need carbon for some of the advanced smelting chains anyway. From there I don't think trees is the best option, but rather vegetable oil. My most recent Seablock base is almost entirely powered by beans.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's charcoal pellets that are the small upgrade. Just append another furnace. Algae to charcoal can keep you going until farm power, which is good till nuclear. If you're using electrolyzers rather than geodes for sludge you have excess hydrogen so you can make solid fuel pretty easily too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Algae -> Charcoal is a half decent power upgrade.
Trees -> Charcoal is a solid upgrade.
Getting your hand on some plants for fuel oil, or if you get Tianaton (Space Cotton) all of the cellulose ever, is what will carry you to nuclear power.

Seriously, one temperate farm plot producing Tianaton will produce about 50 cellulose/minute on average (output ranges between 40 and 60 per craft, 20 crop = 22 cellulose), and I'm pretty sure you can shove speed cards into them. And, well, you never have just one farm plot.

Anyways speaking of Seablock: anyone got a convenient download/tutorial on how to get it working on 1.0?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
To get it running I had to edit a few files. The first error it gave me was that line 140 of circuit processing was wrong. I applied the changes in that link to the file in my mods folder, then it gave me another error about the seablock mod itself and I found a thread on the factorio forums with the changes to be made. This isn't the exact thread but the second post seems to have the same answer.

So, basically you find your mods folder (windows it should be C\user\username\appdata\roaming\factorio\mods I think) and find the mod you need to update, then unzip it. Find the file you're editing and open it with notepad, find the offending line and swap out the text for that block with the text given in the link, then save the file and re-zip the whole thing, ensuring you delete the old copy of the mod if need-be, and launch the game. If you have trouble with it I can dig up my mod files and upload them, provided those are the mods that're giving you issues too.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it would be cool for a seablock 1.0 update + balance pass.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

seablock...balance

I don't think you get seablock.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
A few hundred pages ago someone mentioned a mod in which you have your base on a pad that teleports to new maps at set intervals.

At each new location you need to mine, fight of biters, and salvage as much as you can before you teleport again.

Googling is failing me, does anyone know what this one is?

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
This is likely the one you're looking for.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/warptorio2

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chakan posted:

To get it running I had to edit a few files. The first error it gave me was that line 140 of circuit processing was wrong. I applied the changes in that link to the file in my mods folder, then it gave me another error about the seablock mod itself and I found a thread on the factorio forums with the changes to be made. This isn't the exact thread but the second post seems to have the same answer.

So, basically you find your mods folder (windows it should be C\user\username\appdata\roaming\factorio\mods I think) and find the mod you need to update, then unzip it. Find the file you're editing and open it with notepad, find the offending line and swap out the text for that block with the text given in the link, then save the file and re-zip the whole thing, ensuring you delete the old copy of the mod if need-be, and launch the game. If you have trouble with it I can dig up my mod files and upload them, provided those are the mods that're giving you issues too.

Noticed the discussion was 5 days old, but the mod had been updated 2 days ago. Updated it, and tried it right out of the box and it seems to be working so far.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Good, though because I hadn't updated in a while having red algae available leading into thermal water generation was a surprise.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've launched many rockets before, but now, for 1.0, I want to try something new and different. I want to do a run where resources are moved about in nontraditional ways, as much as possible. This means a minimum of belts and a minimum of logistics bots.

The rules are simple: -Trains can only be used to transport raw resources from outposts to the main base. Sicknasty jumps, using Renai Transportation, are mandatory.
-Place the big unloading station in the middle of my base so trains have to bounce through the whole factory to get there.
-Thrower Inserters and associated stuff like buckets/open chests (also from Renai) are used to move resources around locally.
-Direct insertion is allowed.
-Transport Drones are used for moving bulk resources within the base itself.
-Can only use belts where there is no alternative.
-Logistics bots can only be used for resupply.
-No restrictions until I get everything in red/green science. This should let me get a basic mall up and running in a reasonable timeframe.

Any suggestions/ideas? I'm tempted to add "must barrel liquids" to this, but barreling is kind of annoying.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Seablock was most assuredly written by a sadist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Majere posted:

Seablock was most assuredly written by a sadist.

Go one step further, try pyBlock