Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can add HBOMax to your Hulu account. :shrug:

As near as I can tell, that gives you the HBO stuff but not the HBOMax stuff.

Which is a distinction that I absolutely don’t understand but if I search for looney tunes on Hulu it comes up empty, and I know that one is HBO max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the networks purposely hold back some stuff from those Hulu/Amazon channels specifically so you can't just end around their app/paying them directly/upping their numbers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just wanted to watch Lovecraft and the Spectrum app doesn't have it OnDemand even though it played 2 days ago. I have my folks HBO login but maybe that'll work on Hulu or Prime. I don't fuckin know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The dispute between Time Warner and Roku and Amazon is exactly that. Time Warner doesn't want to give a cut of their sub fee to Roku and Amazon. They also want their content exclusively within their own app and not some aggregate content pane along other things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The login should get you into the HBO Max website and then you could plug your computer into your TV if you have a HDMI convertor or do a screen mirror or something.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I got invited to watch the entire Quibi series called "The Stranger". It's all 13 episodes stitched into one long 90ish minute movie. I"m 7 minutes into the first episode and this poo poo is loving creepy as hell

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As near as I can tell, that gives you the HBO stuff but not the HBOMax stuff.

Which is a distinction that I absolutely don’t understand but if I search for looney tunes on Hulu it comes up empty, and I know that one is HBO max.

Yeah, you can only see the HBO stuff through Hulu. Go to the HBOMax website and create an account, it'll give you the option to login through your Hulu account. Then you can go straight to HBOMax and watch whatever you want!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Finished watching The Fall. what the hells that last season. it's just changnesia except taking way too seriously. and it's way more pessimistic than the first season of true detective. just unsatisfying and boring.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TNG season 2 was pretty great, I would say the highs of season 1 were higher and lows were lower...

...but the low of season 2 is pretty goddamned low. What an abysmal last episode. What the gently caress happened? "Oh we ran out of budget so here's Riker's Greatest Hits and some random footage we scrounged from the cutting room floor." I probably wouldn't even be that mad if it wasn't the final episode of the season. I can only imagine the furor that this episode generated during the show's original run.

That episode is lucky that it couldn't possibly best season 1's "Code of Honor" for Worst Episode So Far because otherwise it would easily take the razzie. Ugh. Just awful. I'm going for a milkshake

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Writer strike that year. That's why it ended with a clips show.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

I googled it afterwards and saw that lol.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

The writers strike ended in 1988. Shades of Gray was a clip show because they went wildly over-budget on Elementary, Dear Data and Q Who?.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Love all the Trump ads on the mst3k Pluto tv station.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Love all the Trump ads on the mst3k Pluto tv station.

There’s a good 90% chance that the ad I’ll get when clicking any YouTube video now is a Trump one. Dems not even bothering I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s a good 90% chance that the ad I’ll get when clicking any YouTube video now is a Trump one. Dems not even bothering I guess.

Apparently the trump campaign coughed up a ton of money to saturate YouTube this week, probably because of the convention.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s been about a month now, maybe I’m using up all the ad buys and protecting others.

Funnily enough, after posting I did finally get a Biden one too. Didn’t watch that either, but it’s the thought that counts.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
YouTube Premium worth every penny. I haven’t seen a single election ad this year.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
adblockers worth even more pennies

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

adblockers worth even more pennies

I've heard that some people still get the audio, just with a black screen. :chloe:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is the The Purge tv series any good? I haven't seen either show or movie and while the premise is interesting the whole cuh-razy mask display makes me think of the old gundam meme

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was ok, they were getting into the corrupt government angle behind it, but it was cancelled.

I missed this last week, apparently The Other Two is moving to HBO Max which is a totally normal thing for a Comedy Central production to do because it's not like Viacom has a streaming service or anything.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-other-two-south-side-hbo-max-comedy-central-1234734149/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But where IS The Other Two season 2

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Comedy Central cancelled Drunk History

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, apparently the current strategy is to make Comedy Central an adult animation farm for All Access.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure focusing entirely on naughty cartoons is the best strategy for any network tbh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Davros1 posted:

Sigh

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Hey, at least Tosh.0 is still on. Watch people vomit and break limbs and laugh your tuckus off!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tosh.0 has to cost a nickel to make. Also people love those AFV style shows, I think Ridiculousness was by far MTVs top show, still may be.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I actually watch them both lol. I also know which one is better!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rob Dyrdek is a charisma black hole, I have no idea how he landed a gig like that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Tosh.0 has to cost a nickel to make. Also people love those AFV style shows, I think Ridiculousness was by far MTVs top show, still may be.

Ridiculousness is somehow always playing on the TV at the place I volunteer at and I have no idea how anyone could watch that all goddamn day. By the twelfth time I hear that one lady’s laugh I want to chuck the remote at the screen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ridiculousness is somehow always playing on the TV at the place I volunteer at and I have no idea how anyone could watch that all goddamn day. By the twelfth time I hear that one lady’s laugh I want to chuck the remote at the screen.

:lol:

Cable channels in the ~14 years since I dropped cable have basically gone to a model of showing exactly one program for 18 hours a day. Like really, I am so glad that I don't have cable because whenever I encounter it, it's all nonstop marathons of whatever program became popular, I assume in the last 10 years.

When my roommate was recovering from surgery in a nursing home last year, she watched a shitload of Ridiculousness. Apparently when the nurses needed a break from having to deal with old people problems they'd just pop in and watch for a while. It certainly wasn't what I'd want to watch on the regular, but when I would drop by for lunch it wasn't terrible, I preferred the days where we watched Die Hard, Friday, and John Wick 2 though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

Cable channels in the ~14 years since I dropped cable have basically gone to a model of showing exactly one program for 18 hours a day. Like really, I am so glad that I don't have cable because whenever I encounter it, it's all nonstop marathons of whatever program became popular, I assume in the last 10 years.

That definitely happened sometime in the last 10 years. I got rid of cable in 2011 and ended up with jobs or volunteer stuff where there was a communal TV in 2014. In the interim few years there was a huge spike in clip or other dirt cheap shows like Impractical Jokers where the production company could crank out a ton of episodes super cheap, then air them all day/night long. I can kind of see the background noise appeal of something like that a lot of the time and kind of wonder if the increase in smartphones had something to do with it. Like there’s more market now for something like that now, since you only half watch it while you dick around on your phone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That definitely happened sometime in the last 10 years. I got rid of cable in 2011 and ended up with jobs or volunteer stuff where there was a communal TV in 2014. In the interim few years there was a huge spike in clip or other dirt cheap shows like Impractical Jokers where the production company could crank out a ton of episodes super cheap, then air them all day/night long. I can kind of see the background noise appeal of something like that a lot of the time and kind of wonder if the increase in smartphones had something to do with it. Like there’s more market now for something like that now, since you only half watch it while you dick around on your phone.

The thing is, I think cable would have ended up like this eventually. We never really noticed in the 90's because we were kids, and we probably didn't pay attention to much outside of Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network depending on your age. Stray outside of those channels and you were mostly on some sort of syndicated rerun along some sort of theme.

Hell even in the early 2000's I remember watching non-stop Law & Order on TNT while I poo poo-posted from like 6-10, when Adult Swim kicked in. I really do not miss cable anymore as I can't imagine paying $40/mo on top of everything else, just so I can watch 8 hours of reruns, but hey, people are just non-stop streaming The Office/Friends these days..

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Ah poo poo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I feel like that type of show is ripe for Netflix or Hulu to pick up though, didn't it start as a web series?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is, I think cable would have ended up like this eventually. We never really noticed in the 90's because we were kids, and we probably didn't pay attention to much outside of Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network depending on your age. Stray outside of those channels and you were mostly on some sort of syndicated rerun along some sort of theme.

Hell even in the early 2000's I remember watching non-stop Law & Order on TNT while I poo poo-posted from like 6-10, when Adult Swim kicked in. I really do not miss cable anymore as I can't imagine paying $40/mo on top of everything else, just so I can watch 8 hours of reruns, but hey, people are just non-stop streaming The Office/Friends these days..

Yeah, TV has always been like this. The lifecycle of a cable network is:

1) Throw spaghetti at the wall until you find a popular show in syndication
2) Marathon the popular show as much as possible to build an audience off of the show's cult following
3) Expand on that audience with original programming, funded by the syndication marathon
4) Realize that scripted shows have diminishing returns and transition to reality tv
5) Pump out 24 hours of reality TV until your network becomes a caricature of its former self

Sometimes networks can then use the reality money to jumpstart at Step 2 or 3 again, or just start over at Step 1: SyFy has been through this cycle about twice in the last twenty years. TLC went down the rabbit hole in the late 90s and has been on Step 5 ever since.

swickles posted:

I feel like that type of show is ripe for Netflix or Hulu to pick up though, didn't it start as a web series?

I'm sure someone will pick it up. CC isn't even making new episodes of Tosh anymore. :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

The big difference I see between the old rerun marathons and the new “shows that just run all day” is that the old ones were stuff that actually aired in prime time on a major network to be actually watched. The new stuff was basically made to be run in gigantic blocks on some cable channel like Ion all day to kind of fill the background with a tiny crew of people behind the camera. It’s the whole “let’s push reality shows so we don’t have to pay writers” thing amped up. The end result is basically the same, I guess, it’s just way more brazen about it. I don’t have much room to complain, the only reason I was going to sign up for Peacock was to have all of Law and Order available to stream in the background, but since they only have like eight seasons... nah.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Not sure I want to live in a world without Corporate AND Drunk History

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does Netflix even still save shows anymore? I can’t remember the last time they brought a network/cable show back from the dead. The only recent show I can think of that got saved by streaming was The Expanse, and that was because Bezos is a fan.