Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, PD's advantage is that it is shared and that it prevents damage instead of mitigating it.

A 25,000 ton fleet heavy on PD can engage a 5,000 ton fleet, destroy it without taking any damage, and move on to fight again just as well. A 25,000 ton armored fleet can destroy either of those, but will take some damage and maybe even lose some ships vs the little opponent so repeated lopsided battles will wear it down.

Which defense is better overall depends on how well you can get a local tonnage advantage for battles.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

++++++++++++2113 Shipyard Production Results++++++++++++

1. What ship will our large military shipyard produce?

F. Zurai's Avalanche wins.

2. What ship will our small military shipyard produce?

F. Foxfire_'s Bomb Truck-class CT wins.

++++++++++++ End of Results++++++++++++

These are both solid designs that can fit into our existing fleet quite nicely. I'm somewhat surprised we picked a BB without carronades, as they were getting some serious love.

Zurai and Foxfire_ both get an addition vote to be spend when they want.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll get started on the next update right away.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2020

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Foxfire_ posted:

If you expect to fight in microwave range, you ideally stack a bunch of these, e.g. dodge most shots, absorb the other ones onto shields (which are regenerating quickly), if anything gets through have it need to beat a hard roll to do damage, then have some redundant sensors anyway.
Emphasis mine. Shields do not recharge quickly when we're talking about knife fighting with energy weapons. When you see a shield that says '10/300' that means it will take 300 seconds, or 60 five second increments to recharge to it's maximum of 10 shields. As you noted microwaves deal 3 damage per hit on shields. Yes, if the enemy is fielding massively shielded battleships that dedicate several thousands of tons to shields microwaves would be at a disadvantage until they were dropped. The counterpoint to this is if we're fighting an enemy fielding massively shielded future-tech battleships we might as well surrender now, because nothing we have will be effective against that.

A ship being able to block one or two shots from a weapons system every half a minute, being generous, is hardly a mark against that weapon system. Especially when A) it will block the damage from any weapon equally, and B) the ship in question is also massively loaded with railguns that will eagerly mulch through shields faster than any other beam weapons we have available.

Note that I have no illusions of the Wolf Hawk even being a contender, let alone winning, but calling shields 'quickly regenerating' in the context of beam-ranged combat is completely false.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Saying that if you want to fight a microwave ship inside it's range, the ideal is doing something like "Dodge 75% of its shots, then soak the hits on shields that are also refilling, then have hardening to ignore 75% of the ones that get through that, then have high HTK sensors to ignore another 75% of the ones that get past that, then have a redundant sensor so they have to beat all that more than once to blind you", not that we can do that now or that the Koopas are very likely to be doing it unless they're a few tech levels up on us. Stacking defenses like that is the closest you can get to a microwave-proof ship, and it's a bunch of work.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 13, 2020

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Foxfire_ posted:

Saying that if you want to fight a microwave ship inside it's range, the ideal is doing something like "Dodge 75% of its shots, then soak the hits on shields that are also refilling, then have hardening to ignore 75% of the ones that get through that, then have high HTK sensors to ignore another 75% of the ones that get past that, then have a redundant sensor so they have to beat all that more than once to blind you", not that we can do that now or that the Koopas are very likely to be doing it unless they're a few tech levels up on us. Stacking defenses like that is the closest you can get to a microwave-proof ship, and it's a bunch of work.
Okay, I see what you're saying. It's certainly one extra level of protection you could try to add. I was mostly noting the shield regeneration thing so people might have a better understanding of how it worked when designing and evaluating ships in the future. I clearly had how it worked wrong myself before looking it up and doublechecking and didn't want people to think that shields were somehow great in beam-duels when they're ostensibly better vs missiles since they could have time to recharge between waves.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

GrabbinPeels posted:

I'm down to be re-dorfed. Put GrabbinPeels Jr. in there.

Got you back in.

thatbastardken posted:

I'd like to join as a scientist please.

Got ya in.

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Glorious deaths: 1
Boring retirements: 0

:hist101:

Re-dorf me, please.

Back in.

MuteAllison posted:

I'd like to be re-dorfed, please! Early retirement is not my thing.

This took two tries to take. First time you immediately retired again in the next industry cycle.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Hey can you make me a naval officer please

Got you in.

I hope I didn't miss anyone. Next update shouldn't be too long. Things are a bit slow on my end as I just found out my normal job no longer exists, so that is definitely taking up a solid chunk of my time. Still plan on running this, as it's a very welcome distraction from all that stress.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Shucks man, best of luck with the real life stuff that's actually important. So long as this helps you de-stress we'll be here for you, and the moment it doesn't we'll totally understand if you pauze or drop it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear it. Like Innocent_Bystander said, everyone will understand no matter what happens.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I still have my bad job, I just need to figure out where to go next.

Also we finally have a dedicated FAC shipyard. We need a name for it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
GameFACs :v:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Virtual Russian posted:

Yessss. Looking forward to the next design contest; FACs are fun to build because there's so little space to work with.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Virtual Russian posted:

We must show our enemies that we're not afraid to play by their rules.

The Citibank and Costco Shipyard, presented by Apple, in association with Ace Hardware and General Mills.

Our corporate overlords can beat up your corporate overlords, Protectorate scum. :kamina:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm sorry everyone, this contest is over.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

:golfclap:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm sorry everyone, this contest is over.

An acceptable result.

MuteAllison
Nov 16, 2013

Virtual Russian posted:

This took two tries to take. First time you immediately retired again in the next industry cycle.

If I retire yet again, I'll just have to accept that no matter what, space-me will always want an easy life.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The mood in the Union of Terra, whether in the streets of the mega-cities, or the grand bastions of the High Command and Admiralty, was desperate and paranoid. On all side of the Union there were alien empires, all of which seemed at least mildly, if not completely opposed to the very existent of humanity. The inaction of the navy in the face of repeated humiliation had lowered morale across the Union. Once upon a time the people had looked to the stars with a sense of wonder and excitement, now they could only imagine their doom was brewing out there far beyond their reach. It was in this atmosphere that the High Command relented to Admiral Polatkan’s incessant demands to fulfill the promised naval building program. The design for a fighting vessel of almost 30,000 tons was approved and sent to the shipyards. Where once humanity had placed it’s hopes for the future in exploration and colony vessels, now it was entirely invested in this machine of war.

I immediately begin researching the few parts needed to put our battlecruiser and corvette into production, I also set some of our industry to pre-making the battlecruiser's engines. Meanwhile, the OPEC Fuel Harvesting Station and the Neighbor class Diplomatic vessel are ordered in our civilian yards. These vessels will help us solve the persistent fuel crisis, as well as enabling us to negotiate with our alien neighbors. The OPECs are being made in the civilian yard as we are so pressed for industrial capacity that this just makes sense.

The Galaxy as known to us on June 29th, 2113:

August 6th, 2113

We complete components to begin retooling for the Bomb Truck. I also just noticed I haven’t researched the associated missile at all, I will, but that’s going to be a lower priority. Our economy is being taxed at the moment, and it’s only going to slow us down and cost us economic growth.

September 15th, 2113

The fire control for the Avalanche is completed, we now begin retooling our large naval shipyard for production of our battlecruiser.

Our economy is really creaking under the weight of all this work. Our retooling alone is nearly one third of our budget. Fortunately, our monthly deficient eats into only 1% of our wealth reserves. We should be able to spend at this rate for some time.

I task five of our freed labs to research more efficient sorium fuel refining, this should really hep solve the fuel crisis. Another five labs are set to researching larger shield generators. Both of these tasks are in accordance our current policies.

October 22th, 2113

We begin producing five Bomb Trucks, work also begins expanding our corvette shipyard.

January 5th, 2114

At last we can transport missiles efficiently, these will be immensely helpful. I set the labs to making our maintenance facilities more efficient, this will massively increase the amount of tonnage we can keep maintained. We really need this as we begin to produce significantly larger ships.

Days later we also complete research into mobile Xeno-archeology labs. I immediately set to building units that can begin looking into those ruins.

March 30th, 2114

Our sensors briefly pick up a Kooken Attack class in the Accatran system. I’m letting them be for now, perhaps once day soon we will be strong enough to meet the Kookens in battle.

June 28th, 2114

Our first Xeno-archaeology team is trained, they will be off to Europa to begin examining the ruins. This will take some time, but should be well worth the research. We desperately need anything that can help level the playing field with our many neighbors.

We also see the creation of the first civilian mining operation in Adrastapol.

July 23th, 2114

It was with much fanfare that the Admiraty inaugurated the GameFACs Naval Shipyard. Years in production, this shipyard would vastly increase the Union of Terra's ability to produce a variety of naval vessels at one time. Millions of workers swelled with pride knowing they would help build ships tasked with defending the Union of Terra.

At last we have a dedicated FAC shipyard. No longer will we have to choose between producing corvettes or FACs. I’m going to set about expanding the number of slipways before we begin producing anything.

August 20th, 2114

The Bomb Truck Class Corvette had been rushed through the design phase to cover the missile support role that was found lacking in the current fleet composition. As a result of this, there were many questions about the actual utility and reliability of these ships. Having no armor to speak of, these vessels were immediately unpopular with both crew and officers. Compounding this, was the unreliable nature of the vessel’s single engine. Crews feared that in the heat of battle, when they relied exclusively on maneuverability for survival, that their engine could malfunction and leave them dead in the water.

Our Bomb Truck Class Corvettes roll off the production line. I was planning to make more but I’m going to give our economy some breathing room. Also I just noticed that these vessels cannot repair an engine failure, and only have a single engine.

Also, much to my surprise we have over 11 million litres after I refuel our tankers.

September 17th, 2114

Compounding our problems, we spot a Kooken Anubis class in Adrastapol for the first time.

October 5th, 2114

We begin construction on our battlecruisers, I managed to get two engines built in the retooling time. This speeds things up a little.

December 14th, 2114

Research into more powerful particle beams, as well as larger shield generators are completed. I design and begin researching a particle beam. I also spread some of the labs out among our current research projects.

December 17th, 2114

We see some alien activity, I’m happy to let the Theocracy be. Caliban would be nice to colonize, but honestly, I’d rather not push our luck and have three enemies. The Kookens seem to be exploring our space now with some regularity.

January 28th, 2115

Amidst the current climate of xenophobia, General Romanova saw an opportunity. Decrying the lack of funding the army had been receiving, the general proposed a modest research program. One of the army scientists had drafted designs for a prospective bipedal armored fighting vehicle. These mechanized armored vehicles, dubbed mechs, would be capable of mounting significant firepower, while also taking advantage of recent developments in armor density to be able to withstand substantial incoming weapons fire. Furthermore, Romanova stressed that when facing such truly alien species as the Juno Bugs or Kookans, a bipedal mech would be a fighting unit that could truly represent humanity. The high command immediately saw the potential of this project, both on the battlefield and as a propaganda tool. The modest project was to be funded, and “lances” of mechs were to be produced and trained. For the first time in decades, the people of Earth were to field purely offensive army units. No longer would the Terran Army be a purely defensive force.

This tech gives us 257,000 tons of maintenance capacity on Sol, we are currently using 144,000 tons. We also begin researching some armored mechs, these will be really help beef up our military power. I also throw in a logistics truck that can supply them.

April 10th, 2115

Two fuel production stations are completed, I immediately begin hauling one to Jupiter. The next will be going to Accatran to provide a source of fuel in that system.

April 21th, 2115

At last, we can conduct diplomacy. I look forward to watching this multi year project getting blasted into pieces immediately.

July 1st, 2115

Research into our mechs is coming along nicely. Meanwhile, our diplomatic mission to the Theocracy is not going well, they immediately demand that we vacate their system. While not unreasonable, this complicates growing a fruitful relationship with them. I’ll retreat into a nearby system and hopefully I can make contact with a scout ship.

October 6th, 2115

Our refineries are 20% more efficient now, we are now producing 9 million liters of fuel per year.

December 3rd, 2115

Our command mech is researched, we can now design a mech lance.

code:
Light Mech Lance
Transport Size: 2,491 tons
Build Cost: 194.8 BP
1x Dragoon Class Light Mech - Command 2115
25x Dragoon Class Light Mech 2115
3x Logistic Truck 2115
While this lance of mechs lacks some significant abilities, such as anti-aircraft or spotting abilities, they represent a significant increase in the capabilities of our army. The mixture of autocannons can deal with a variety of infantry and light or medium vehicles.

December 31st, 2115

The end of the year sees yet another retirement, as well as another civilian mining operation in Sol.

The Galaxy as known to us on December 31st, 2115:

While this update may have been somewhat uneventful, and thus boring, this was probably the best case scenario for us. I had my doubts we’d make it this long. Our foes are unwise to leave us to our own devices, every month we grow significantly stronger.

Which brings me to the simple single issue vote I want to put forward.

+++++++++++ Diplomatic Policy Towards Kooken Pleasure Pit Protectorate +++++++++++

1. Upon the completion of our current pair of battlecruisers the Union of Terra will be in an immensely more secured position. The Kooken’s have been occasionally attacking us, as well as refusing to acknowledge our borders. How should we proceed once the Avalanches are complete?

A. Continue the cold war: there is no knowing what they are capable of, we must stall for time as we continue to build up our navy and close the research gap.

B. Avenge the Maler: We have been humiliated for the last time, all Kooken vessels are to be destroyed upon sight.

C. Extend the olive branch: Immediately re-route our diplomatic vessel to the Kooken front, let us smooth over this decade long misunderstanding and embark upon and era of peace and prosperity.

+++++++++++ End of Diplomatic Policy Vote +++++++++++

This will be a short vote, just 24hrs, as I have time late tomorrow to work on the next update.

Also sorry for the delay getting this update out, my life stuff is still quite tumultuous, but I'm getting stuff planned out and things should be a bit more stable. I 100% plan to continue to update this LP, there will likely be a brief break when I move, but that won't be for a bit.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 20, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

C.

Not only is it imperative that we eliminate at least one front of the threat, a diplomatic mission is likely to get good data on the ships flying around. In turn, this will allow us to evaluate the relative tech level.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Blow them all up!

The diplo ship will just got shot down.

Again.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++++ Diplomatic Policy Towards Kooken Pleasure Pit Protectorate +++++++++++

1. Upon the completion of our current pair of battlecruisers the Union of Terra will be in an immensely more secured position. The Kooken’s have been occasionally attacking us, as well as refusing to acknowledge our borders. How should we proceed once the Avalanches are complete?

B. Avenge the Maler: We have been humiliated for the last time, all Kooken vessels are to be destroyed upon sight.

Otherwise it's just a matter of time before we start having to deal with Terror Missions.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:toot: I'm getting stuff done, and not blowing myself up in the process.

quote:

E: I done changed my vote to B, see the next page.

I think its best to station our growing fleet in a defensive posture, holding the border as far forward as possible. While the jump point into Sol is a likely candidate, I think we should try to pin the Kookans as far back as possible, securing our own current colonies. That said, absolutely blow them to poo poo when they cross into our space.

This will hopefully buy us some time to field a few more Avalanches, round out the Bomb Truck squadrons, and produce a surplus of updated ship-killers, if they got around to getting researched. Ideally, this will also let us scour the European ruins and see if there is anything to exploit in them. The engine and spare parts issue on the Bomb Truck is..concerning, to say the least. With the 'abundance' of armor I don't expect them to survive many hits in combat but malfunctions can hit at any time..

All that aside, best of luck getting through the tumult and getting things sorted!

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 21, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
B

If we blow up some Kooken scout vessels as they poke their noses into our systems, we may have a shot at looting their wreckage.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B

Remember the Maler!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

In defense of the Bomb Truck, while it has issues, I'm impressed with the sheer amount of firepower packed into such a small vessel.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
B

I'd like to see what our new fleet can do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THIS AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND

we need a victory to pipe into the [B]uilding sized vidscreens and give our people something to cheer about

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 20, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

Our Bomb Truck Class Corvettes roll off the production line. I was planning to make more but I’m going to give our economy some breathing room. Also I just noticed that these vessels cannot repair an engine failure, and only have a single engine.

I didn't notice this when designing it. Adding 2 fighter maintenance bays push it to just over repairing an engine failure at the cost of 8km/s. Same yard, refitting the existing ones takes a day.

Virtual Russian posted:

Our spreadsheets must be tested in the fire of battle! :black101:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
1B. It is a truth universally acknowledge that a single interstellar empire in possession of a good boat with guns on it, must be in want of target of questionable willingness.

Foxfire_ posted:

Our spreadsheets must be tested in the fire of battle! :black101:

BuShips: We Excel in Combat

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Virtual Russian posted:

:black101:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
So, I may have posted some rather... inflammatory remarks about our corporate-owned neighbors recently, but, now that we have a diplomatic vessel, I think this is a prime opportunity to give peace a chance.

Just kidding, Blast those capitalist fucks straight to hell, and send the bugs along behind them. And as soon as we've finished repairing and reloading, We're going to teach our other neighbors about the separation of church and state, by separating all of their constituent atoms from one another. :dehumanize:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

Blast 'em. The Kookens have already shown what they will do to any unarmed ship they encounter, in our systems or theirs.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 20, 2020

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
We might not be ready to charge into their home system, but we can sure Blast them off the jump point! :hist101:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Because the other stellar nations appear not to be actively belligerent, we must make the most of the opportunity to eliminate a threat while we have the means and opportunity. It is not knowable when we may stumble across another hunter in this dark forest, and should we squander our time we may find ourselves torn apart by predators with only the solace of knowing that our killers will in turn be killed as they rip each other apart.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. Have our armada ready to move in the moment our last hope of peaceful coexistence is ash.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill them all

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I vote A

Stall for time and strike when we have the forces to do so.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This isn't popular and probably won't win, but there are the bugs to think about so if there's a shot at stopping hostilities with our other opponent, I say try it.

In other words... Our war is in another Castle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A