Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
f 24 m 48, no need to read more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
48 / 2 + 7 =31 yeah that's a no from me dawg

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
lol he's literally lived two of her lives and hasn't figured it out yet. Probably time to cut your losses on that one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

quote:

But sorry ya’ll, I genuinely love him and don’t think its reasonable to just up and leave someone because they are reckless with money lol.
She's too young for him and too old for this mindset.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Place your bets:

- She has low self esteem and/or zero dating experience
- Dude is devastatingly attractive

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Immature people are drawn to people who are much younger but mature for their age

Mature people are drawn to people who are much older but immature for their age

It's weird but it makes for GREAT content

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Place your bets:

It's the first one. If it was the second he wouldn't be engaged to her.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

I genuinely love him and don’t think its reasonable to just up and leave someone because they are reckless with money lol

Oh, really? I do.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

From the /r/relationships thread, these are my favorite

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for letting everyone we know find out about the details of the prenup I was asked to sign?

“Dan” and I were introduced by mutual friends two years ago, and lived together for one. Always a great, really equal relationship. This was super important to both of us because his ex fiancé was kind of a gold digger, and my ex boyfriend was really controlling of our money. So Dan and I always split all our joint bills down the middle, even though I’m a teacher and he’s in tech, which worked for us because we lived pretty frugally. All that to say that he’d mentioned wanting a prenup before we got married, and I was always totally in support of that, especially since he owns some property and we’d planned for me to be a SAHM for a while, so I wanted to make sure I’d be protected if we divorced then.

We talked a lot about how we were both planning to get married, the timeline, and he said he wanted to get our prenup figured out before the “official” engagement. Great. He handed me the paperwork two weeks ago and asked me to pick a time to sign it in front of his friend who is a notary, and I was…completely shocked. Basically, it said that he would get literally everything in a divorce. All property, money, retirement funds, and possessions. It required me to forfeit alimony and agree that if either of us filed for divorce, I would get 10k and market rate rent for a studio apartment for one year (which would also mean that I couldn’t have any custody of our future kids in a divorce since in our state you need at least one bedroom for them).

I was totally bowled over and when I tried to talk to him about it, he kept insisting it was fair, since I wouldn’t be working for a while once we have kids, so I wouldn’t be making any money, and I shouldn’t be allowed to keep any of his money in a divorce. He said we'd write a postnup when I went back to work. And I UNDERSTAND why he thought that was fair, but saying he'd take my kids and leave me in poverty if we divorced was so needlessly cruel.

The paperwork included a document for me to sign away my right to consult with a lawyer about it, but I asked a friend of mine who is a lawyer to look over it anyway. She did this on an informal basis, so there was no confidentiality, and I hadn’t thought about how she’s dating one of Dan’s really good friends. I also talked it over in serious detail with my best friend because I just needed someone else’s opinion on whether I was being unreasonable or my almost-fiance had done something super crazy. They both blabbed, and now basically everyone in our group of friends (including all Dan’s college friends) knows everything about the prenup, and think he’s a completely misogynistic villain. It even got back to his parents, who are super upset with him. Obviously we split up and I moved out, but me letting this get around seems to be basically ruining Dan’s life. One of our friends said that the family friend who hired him at his company heard about it and it's wrecked his reputation at work.

AITA for spreading around stuff he assumed I’d keep to myself?

Short term attempt to be a greedy gently caress actually results in long-term destruction of reputation and job opportunities

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
If you don't have a job you don't need a prenup, if you don't have a fiancee you also don't need a prenup, looks like his problem has solved itself.

Win/win for both of them

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like it but it feels too good to be true.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Should've had her sign the NDA first

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Not a Children posted:

Place your bets:

One r/relationships thread mantra is 'picture the people in these stories as much fatter than you first presume'.

Though another is DICAP; dick is cheap and plentiful.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

quote:

No explanation really on where the money went other than his portion of Rent.

theater is expensive

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

lol he's literally lived two of her lives and hasn't figured it out yet. Probably time to cut your losses on that one.

Homer: "awwww I thought I'd be happy living two of her lives"

Moe: "You're thinking of a guy whose lived through two knives"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

StormDrain posted:

I like it but it feels too good to be true.

I've seen other instances where guys think they can write a prenup that forfeits all their partners rights. Really the surprising bit is the social pushback Dan received. But I'm sure Dan is getting the validation he needs from the MRA subreddits to make up for it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've seen other instances where guys think they can write a prenup that forfeits all their partners rights. Really the surprising bit is the social pushback Dan received. But I'm sure Dan is getting the validation he needs from the MRA subreddits to make up for it.

The amount of MRA / reddit dudes who fundamentally do not understand the purpose of alimony is mind-boggling. The idea that a woman would not be okay with being a SAHM with a guarantee that she would be destitute if she got divorced just doesn't seem to occur to them. Or maybe they just think it will guarantee that their wife will never leave them. But I'm guessing they just never think further than their own bank account.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the R.E.D.D.I.T. system

because of the implication

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

vonnegutt posted:

The amount of MRA / reddit dudes who fundamentally do not understand the purpose of alimony is mind-boggling. The idea that a woman would not be okay with being a SAHM with a guarantee that she would be destitute if she got divorced just doesn't seem to occur to them. Or maybe they just think it will guarantee that their wife will never leave them. But I'm guessing they just never think further than their own bank account.
That jumped out at me yes. "I expect you to take a multi year career break and significantly hamper your future earning potential to raise my kids, ergo I would owe you less money"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've always been under the impression that a prenup protects prior assets, which I guess are protected regardless unless you mix them up with your partner's.

I think some MRA are going to surprised to learn that assets gained during the marriage are a lot less ironclad. Like a house or any value the house appreciates. Or their retirement. The the bigger the kitty the more likely someone hires a lawyer who can pierce the prenup.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 20, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Soylent Pudding posted:

Prenups that are obviously unreasonable like that aren't enforceable. Even if you sign 100% willingly with no coercion.

In many states, a prenup isn't worth much because state laws about community property and divorce supersede any prenup.

If Dan is real, then he should have done a small bit of research. A clause that forbids them from consulting a lawyer is literally one of the few things that will get a prenup completely dissolved without anything else in all 50 states.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 20, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alan Smithee posted:

the R.E.D.D.I.T. system

because of the implication

:hmmyes:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Splicer posted:

That jumped out at me yes. "I expect you to take a multi year career break and significantly hamper your future earning potential to raise my kids, ergo I would owe you less money"

I think that's going further than they do. To me the buck stops at "she's not earning money and contributing to the household therefore she's not owed money".

The logical thought for me is "we make these big decisions together and have an equal stake in the outcome". I have to assume the worst relationships have one person with no agency at all and therefore the person in power feels justified in taking everything for themselves. I chose this house, I chose my line of work and in successful, I chose the location to live, the other person chooses to stay at home and contribute no money, I could choose not to participate in a career too and we could both be broke.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Family Ruined By $100K Beanie Babies 'Investment'

One California family paid more than $100,000 for Beanie Babies.

Way back in the early 90s, the country was gripped by a mania for brightly colored miniature stuffed animals that flew off shelves: Beanie Babies.

Launched in 1993, the original line featured nine animals —including Legs the Frog, Spot the Dog, Chocolate the Moose, Patti the Platypus—that became so popular that its parent company, Ty Warner, Inc., (now Ty Inc)., amassed a reported $6 billion fortune.

But not everyone fared as well. A documentary burning up the Internet, "Bankrupt By Beanies," shows how the Robinson family of Los Angeles was swept up in the Beanie craze, shelling out as much as $100,000 on the tiny toys in the hopes that their collection would one day become valuable enough to put five kids through college.

"It became this all-consuming family activity, filling up any free time that wasn't already earmarked for school or our youth hockey teams," filmmaker Chris Robinson told Dazed Digital.

In the short but sobering film, Robinson explains how his father, also named Chris Robinson, a former soap star who played Dr. Rick Webber on General Hospital in the 70s and 80s, became obsessed with collecting the plushy toys; the idea was to sell them and use the profits to pay for college tuition for Robinson and his four siblings.

According to Robinson, his father's obsession began "almost overnight. The first Beanies were bought while my brother Christian and I were at a hockey camp during the summer," Robinson told Dazed Digital. "Our younger brother Taylor was with our parents in Boston and they happened to go into a shop that sold them. He wanted one and, being the baby, he got one. And then some idiot had to tell my dad that they were valuable and collector's items and the whole thing snowballed from there."

Robinson and his brothers would eat at McDonalds so many times a day to get Teenie Beanies, an offshoot of the original which were tucked in Happy Meals, that they became ill. (One of their friends was taken to the hospital because he ate too much of the fast food).

"I'm pretty sure he lied and just said he was sick enough to go to the hospital, but when an adolescent boy would rather be hospitalized than eat McDonald's something has gone horribly wrong," Robinson told DazedDigital.

The Beanie craze died in 1999, and the Robinson family may be stuck with thousands of Beanie Babies. Indeed, their value has dramatically decreased over the last decade: many of them retail online for less than a dollar each. But Robinson says he doesn't regret the experience.

"I'm mostly just apathetic to them at this point," he told Dazed Digital. "I see the whole time period as one of bonding with my family, despite it being an extraordinary waste of money that would have been better spent on pretty much anything else."

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Prenups that are obviously unreasonable like that aren't enforceable. Even if you sign 100% willingly with no coercion.

In many states, a prenup isn't worth much because state laws about community property and divorce supersede any prenup.

If Dan is real, then he should have done a small bit of research. A clause that forbids them from consulting a lawyer is literally one of the few things that will get a prenup completely dissolved without anything else in all 50 states.

IANAL but pretty much this. Generally a prenup in most states is like this: I agree that X property is mine and is not a marital asset. My company was established with a value of X before the marriage. You came into the marriage with an account of X and your whatever is worth Y, those things belong to you. Mostly just making establishing marital assets vs non-marital assets, and maybe like if you owned a millino dollar company the statement that wife cannot hold 50% voting ownership of it, but will be given X cash value within Y years.

You can't just say "Welp you get nothing and no spousal support no child support and you unilaterally give up custody of all unborn children." A judge would look at that in most places and wouldn't even use it as TP because TP is worth more than a lovely prenup like that

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"As you can see in the prenup your honor, I defined my ex-wife as an asset of mine, so she has no rights! Checkmate!" :downs:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tater_salad posted:

You can't just say "Welp you get nothing and no spousal support no child support and you unilaterally give up custody of all unborn children." A judge would look at that in most places and wouldn't even use it as TP because TP is worth more than a lovely prenup like that

My understanding is that if the prenup doesn’t describe what would be a reasonable post-marital settlement for support and asset division, it’s basically useless. The purpose of a pre-nup isn’t really to do things not permitted by the jurisdiction’s divorce law, but to pre-record the things you’re choosing to do within it so that things are clearer and smoother as a divorce is contemplated or enacted. The GMW comes from saving lawyer time (and stress), not from One Weird Trick Ex-Spouses Wish You Didn’t Know.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

"As you can see in the prenup your honor, I defined my ex-wife as an asset of mine, so she has no rights! Checkmate!" :downs:

are there sovereign citizen prenups

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

doingitwrong posted:

I thought they were completely against the idea of joinder...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

They would be glorious but who the hell would marry that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
go read r/relationships, of course there are idiots who would marry that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The copious red flags have gold fringe.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm sure it's a correlation-not-causation thing, but my friends who had pre-nups have had FAR messier, more expensive divorces than those who didn't.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm sure it's a correlation-not-causation thing, but my friends who had pre-nups have had FAR messier, more expensive divorces than those who didn't.
Yeah, it's probably because your friends with prenups had way more assets worth fighting over than your friends who didn't.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA my sister lost millions in stocks

quote:

In January my grandfather died he gave me and my sister 5.5 million each (we were 26-27 at the time), after the funeral and every thing my sister asked me what I was going to do with the money I got which I told her I was going to put every thing in stocks. I have been interested in money and investing since I was 12 and have invested in the stock market before, my sister has not. I invested everything into stocks which wasn't the best move now but it payed off. She decided to invest 3 million and save the rest. So we bought the stocks and she saw a good return in the first couple of weeks around 9%, and she put the 2.5 million from her savings as well.

Then the stock market fell when she heard she got really scared and sold everything and lost around 2.5 million. I learned in the past to never let your emotions get in the way of investing so decided to hold and the stocks that I bought went right back up. Everything now is worth around 6.8 million. My sister thought that I could predict the stock market ( that no one can ) so she kept asking me what to buy. Now my investment is nearing 7 million. She thinks that I should give her 2.5 million to her because she wasn't experienced at the time and didn't know what to do. Now she is calling me an rear end in a top hat for not being nice and helping family.

So AITA for not giving my sister money?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmao you love to see it.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Prenup lady also needs to split from the lawyer friend who blabbed to the friend group. Even if it was informal a lawyer disclosing a person's legal situation as gossip is hosed up.

College Rockout fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

[/quote]

send her to WSB

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

doingitwrong posted:

I've actually seen something extremely close to this. It was a double whammy too - a sovereign citizen marriage and a non-white sovereign citizen.

It was an older (50's) black guy who was in the middle of bankruptcy and recently went through a divorce. He had a 45+ minute meltdown that included the following:

- He was never married to this woman because [his name] was married to this woman and [his name] has social security number XXX-XX-XXXX that was assigned to a corporation with his name, but not him.
- He was a "Moor" and was only subject to Moorish law. The United States had no jurisdiction over Moorish travelers.
- Lots of screaming about "colorable law" that has nothing to do with bankruptcy or divorce.
- The garnishment of his wages was illegal because Moorish law forbids the payment of taxes or garnishments to foreign governments and the United States signed a treaty recognizing Moorish claims.
- All the debts and claims against him in bankruptcy were actually claims against a corporation that he was merely a shareholder in and shareholders have no legal obligation to pay the debts of corporations they invest in.

He had a laminated ID with the "Moorish Flag" that said he was a Moorish citizen that was not bound by any municipal, state, or federal laws of any nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've actually seen something extremely close to this. It was a double whammy too - a sovereign citizen marriage and a non-white sovereign citizen.

It was an older (50's) black guy who was in the middle of bankruptcy and recently went through a divorce. He had a 45+ minute meltdown that included the following:

- He was never married to this woman because [his name] was married to this woman and [his name] has social security number XXX-XX-XXXX that was assigned to a corporation with his name, but not him.
- He was a "Moor" and was only subject to Moorish law. The United States had no jurisdiction over Moorish travelers.
- Lots of screaming about "colorable law" that has nothing to do with bankruptcy or divorce.
- The garnishment of his wages was illegal because Moorish law forbids the payment of taxes or garnishments to foreign governments and the United States signed a treaty recognizing Moorish claims.
- All the debts and claims against him in bankruptcy were actually claims against a corporation that he was merely a shareholder in and shareholders have no legal obligation to pay the debts of corporations they invest in.

He had a laminated ID with the "Moorish Flag" that said he was a Moorish citizen that was not bound by any municipal, state, or federal laws of any nation.

Oh good as an outlaw that means he's not protected by any laws either :commissar: