Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They've always sort of made it clear that Vegetto and Gogeta are more than the sum of their parts though, without Goku or Vegeta's most glaring character flaws. I could see that being justification for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

jiren was way ahead of goku and he did not achieve ultra instinct

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Goku also spent their arc specifically learning how to use the technique more consciously too, he's not just pulling it out of his arse like he did vs Jiren.

It would also make his and Vegeta's journeys this arc not a complete waste of time, which would be nice.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 20, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I bet if Gogeta just used Kaioken Blue, it'd probably be enough to make Moro a smear on their boot, but this is the manga and Kaioken Blue never happened because the manga is bad.

But also, that would be kind of anticlimactic, so...meh. UI Gogeta would indeed be way cooler.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If people get stronger by powering up, why not just power up infinitely and defeat Xeno.

Bing Bongo so simple.

Or an old classic:

If Sayians get stronger after every near death experience, why not just constantly beat each other to near death until they can smear Freeza across the floor.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Imagining a timeline with a Goku who hasn't figured out Super Saiyan, and instead went Jiren and just cranked his base power level to unforgivable heights

I imagine that's a Goku who has no Chi Chi or Gohan

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

multijoe posted:

Goku also spent their arc specifically learning how to use the technique more consciously too, he's not just pulling it out of his arse like he did vs Jiren.

It would also make his and Vegeta's journeys this arc not a complete waste of time, which would be nice.

he specifically trained how to use it and still can only use sign at a massive stamina loss. gogeta would not just magically be able to use mui because he's stronger than both of them combined

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

you're all wrong and arguing really stupid poo poo when the answer is right there-
Gogeta/Vegito can use MUI with absolutely no problem, but they don't WANT to use it
too boring and easy

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Black August posted:

Imagining a timeline with a Goku who hasn't figured out Super Saiyan, and instead went Jiren and just cranked his base power level to unforgivable heights

I imagine that's a Goku who has no Chi Chi or Gohan

He needs something to aim for. By the end of OG Dragon Ball, he was conclusively the strongest person in the world, so while he may have gotten slightly stronger between the 23rd Tenkaichi and Raditz, it wasn't nearly as big of a gain as he'd had in the previous few years.

The reason Goku and co. can continue to aim higher and higher is a combination of saiyan's seemingly limitless potential, always having someone stronger than them to aim for, and a bunch of ways of surviving or being revived after getting their asses handed to them.

I feel like you could take literally any saiyan and given the same environment/resources Goku and Vegeta had, and they'd be able to achieve similar feats. The Dragon Balls and friends willing to use them are really the biggest trump card the main characters have.

edit: tl;dr: Friendship is the most powerful thing in the multiverse.

edit 2: New chapter is out: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-ball-super-chapter-63/chapter/20984?action=read

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 20, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It is so nice to go back and watch Broly get absolutely dismantled. Feels good, man.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nanigans posted:

He needs something to aim for. By the end of OG Dragon Ball, he was conclusively the strongest person in the world, so while he may have gotten slightly stronger between the 23rd Tenkaichi and Raditz, it wasn't nearly as big of a gain as he'd had in the previous few years.

The reason Goku and co. can continue to aim higher and higher is a combination of saiyan's seemingly limitless potential, always having someone stronger than them to aim for, and a bunch of ways of surviving or being revived after getting their asses handed to them.

I feel like you could take literally any saiyan and given the same environment/resources Goku and Vegeta had, and they'd be able to achieve similar feats. The Dragon Balls and friends willing to use them are really the biggest trump card the main characters have.

edit: tl;dr: Friendship is the most powerful thing in the multiverse.

edit 2: New chapter is out: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-ball-super-chapter-63/chapter/20984?action=read

Yeah, he'd need some kind of powerful motivator beyond the starting of Piccolo / Raditz. I guess one extreme would be a meeting with Beerus as a child, and being given some sort of challenge in jest (that Goku takes dead serious).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Holy poo poo. Power pole extend.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

May his sacrifice be worthy :zpatriot:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

goku just running face first at the guy who JUST punched a hole through his chest

also lol at dende going 'goku might take a bit to he-okay done'

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Given Kaioken Blue's track record Gogeta would probably just pop five seconds after going into it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That was a nice chapter.

And if Merus is right, Vegeta's training will have been useless since it seems like Moro can't absorb people's powers anymore and Mastered Ultra Instinct should make Goku unstoppable.

Vegeta continues to be the virgin to Goku's chad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arigato... Merus...

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nanigans posted:

That was a nice chapter.

And if Merus is right, Vegeta's training will have been useless since it seems like Moro can't absorb people's powers anymore and Mastered Ultra Instinct should make Goku unstoppable.

Vegeta continues to be the virgin to Goku's chad

What. Merus sealed Moro's ability to copy other abilities that Moro took from the robot, not his innate powers.

My guess is that he's also cut off the powers he already stole but that remains to be seen.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I actually feel bad about Merus... an actual virtuous guy in comparison to the protagonists, but acting on it meant his deletion

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gohan is the most virtuous

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does anyone have that page of the fancomic where Vegeta has scouter contact lenses and proceeds to give a logarithmic equation on how power stacking makes him the stronkest befofe naming the new gestalt form some edgy poo poo like "Nightcore Vegeta"?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Aurora posted:

gohan is the most virtuous

Gohan wants to be left alone so he can hang out with the fam and do academic stuff. he feels guilt about not keeping up because he takes this stuff more seriously than his dad, but if he took it that seriously, he would train as much as Goku

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Covok posted:

Does anyone have that page of the fancomic where Vegeta has scouter contact lenses and proceeds to give a logarithmic equation on how power stacking makes him the stronkest befofe naming the new gestalt form some edgy poo poo like "Nightcore Vegeta"?

Please, it was 'Nightsoul' Vegeta

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://youtu.be/e6c8ILb3t7Y

If on the other hand you want Nightcore Vegeta, that can be arranged.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Aw I'm gonna miss Meerus, he was cool :(

Also the gently caress Whis, your blood bro just evaporated on the spot, why dont you show some emotion you heartless bastard

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Parrotine posted:

Aw I'm gonna miss Meerus, he was cool :(

Also the gently caress Whis, your blood bro just evaporated on the spot, why dont you show some emotion you heartless bastard

Probably because if an angel develops the ability to give a genuine poo poo they'll wind up promptly getting themselves deleted.

Best just float there and watch catman refuse to his job some more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

I bet if Gogeta just used Kaioken Blue, it'd probably be enough to make Moro a smear on their boot, but this is the manga and Kaioken Blue never happened because the manga is bad.

But also, that would be kind of anticlimactic, so...meh. UI Gogeta would indeed be way cooler.

Kaio-ken Blue did happen in the manga though! Goku first used it against Jiren.

It was treated like a bad thing coming from the Dumb Goku that thinks that power is everything, and accomplished less than nothing.

Also Merus was a good guy but at the same time his sacrifice didn't impact me. I guess it's because it's Dragon Ball and I know it'll be undone soon enough, and also because I just want the arc to end already. Also that everything seems so predictable, Merus dies here to push Goku to finally use full UI and beat Moro, Vegeta was utterly worthless, arc over. I'm more interested in how the hell we continue from here with Goku being literally invincible now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Whis respected his sacrifice by playing dumb to Beerus and letting Merus have his fight, he could and should have ratted Merus out for breaking angel law but let it play out by feigning ignorance.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this is being treated like a bad thing so I would hope they're going to go places with "the way angels are set up sucks" soon

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

We've been waiting for that since the Goku Black arc, and yet ...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

goku pops over to zenos and says 'hey let angels be cool' arc over

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure any kind of Angel Saga is going to end up being the finale, or the next to last. Still got money on Frieza scoring the Supers to wish Zenos away and become Universal Emperor for the last arc. He will be defeated when Goku challenges him to a one-on-one, and the lizard, now a terminal and hopeless fight addict, takes the hit.

EDIT: And since he'd be the head ruler, he'd be able to dictate the Angels and Destroyers to do as he demands.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Merus's final words makes it sound like they're coming to a finale arc soon. That is if Goku achieves mastered ultra instinct, which it looks like he's about to? It'd be kind of a disappointing payoff if he didn't master it, but Dragonball Super is no stranger to disappointing payoffs.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hypocrisy posted:

What. Merus sealed Moro's ability to copy other abilities that Moro took from the robot, not his innate powers.

My guess is that he's also cut off the powers he already stole but that remains to be seen.

I already forgot that the absorption thing was one of Moro's ability from the start and got it mixed up with the robot's copy powers. Pretend I said "copy ability" instead of "absorption"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kaio-ken Blue did happen in the manga though! Goku first used it against Jiren.

It was treated like a bad thing coming from the Dumb Goku that thinks that power is everything, and accomplished less than nothing.

Oh, I thought that was an anime-only thing. I guess he just didn't use it in the U6 Tournament like the anime did.

I wonder if that means it was Toei's idea and Toyotaro liked it (or disliked it since he made it suck) and Toriyama just let him add it to the manga too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

Oh, I thought that was an anime-only thing. I guess he just didn't use it in the U6 Tournament like the anime did.

I wonder if that means it was Toei's idea and Toyotaro liked it (or disliked it since he made it suck) and Toriyama just let him add it to the manga too.

Both Kaio-ken Blue and Blue Evolution were made for the anime and then adapted into the manga during the Tournament of Power (the latter happened in the ToP in both versions, obviously, but the manga is significantly slower so that could happen). That said, both were somewhat different from their anime versions, Kaio-ken Blue doesn't have multipliers and the manga focuses hard on it being just a stressful powerup that surpasses Completed Blue but is basically worthless due to the negatives it brings, while Blue Evolution is obtained from Vegeta ignoring any and all character development and continuity (getting mad at how Kakarot got a lot of teachers BUT HE DID EVERYTHING ON HIS OWN which Whis somehow agrees with despite being Vegeta's teacher) instead of embracing it (because Toyotaro!). Also Blue Evolution is just more boring aesthetically in the manga, with Vegeta just getting a new aura (and the anime colour hair in some illustrations) instead of all the changes he had in the anime.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
But Blue Evolution looks bad anyway! The sparkles! The filters! The googly eyes! None of them look good.

The "transformation" is awful in aesthetics and execution and even just conceptually. Like, is it Blue's version of SSJ2? Because they already have the blue version of "mastered" SSJ1 or whatever. And was it really just triggered by impotent rage/envy? It's awful! I'm no Vegeta stan, but the guy loving deserves better.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's not like blue looks particularly good in the first place in the TV series since they decided to go with that ugly rear end aura

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Blue evolution just gave SSB the palette it shoulda had then sucked on every other level.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TheHan posted:

Blue evolution just gave SSB the palette it shoulda had then sucked on every other level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Aurora posted:

it's not like blue looks particularly good in the first place in the TV series since they decided to go with that ugly rear end aura

Yeah, but Blue Evolution had like fifty filters stacked on top of it. They took something bad and made it worse.

I get it, they need more forms to sell cards and toys, but drat. It looks like they got Toshi the intern to design it and all he did was throw some filters on in PS and left for a smoke break and called it a day.